Thread: Korg SQ-64?

It indeed looked like an interesting sequencer at first, and looking at some videos, the user interface/workflow doesn't quite look appealing to me.

I'd rather wait for something like the OXI ONE which looks to have a better user interface to me and might look like an interesting mix between a monome-esque device, BSP, and SQ-64 :

https://oxiinstruments.com/

Another interesting one, with quite a different approach though, would be the T-1 from torso electronics :

https://www.torsoelectronics.com/

Excellent idea and video. May have to try this patch. Thanks for sharing!
-- farkas

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

Wow-oh-wow! What a sound you got there!!! That's a kind of sound you want to die for, that good! :-)

Nicely done and thanks a lot for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks both for your responses. It was quite a fun patch to explore. I enjoyed the performance aspect of it. And I did like the sound I got from Plaits. I'm very new to modular, but one thing I'm finding is that I need to have the patience to twiddle and twiddle and try a wire here and a wire there, for ages, and sometimes, if I'm lucky, out of nowhere I'll get this amazing sound. Often not, too, of course. Or I'll get a sound I like then lose it again...

I got an LRMSMSLR too @mowse and it's pretty sick. Agreed on WORNG, they're doing really interesting stuff.

I love my Soundstage and use it in just about every patch. This week, I added the Vector Space and am already really into it, so much that today I ordered the LRMSMSLR. WORNG Electronics rates in my top five faves.

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

Wow-oh-wow! What a sound you got there!!! That's a kind of sound you want to die for, that good! :-)

Nicely done and thanks a lot for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Heck yeah! Keep them coming.
What kind of tape recorder are you using? Tape almost always sounds so good.

I'd probably fill the 16hp with a MN Mimeophone or the new 14hp MI Beads, then swap out the 2x 2hp for a Disting Mk4.

Pam's is always a great choice

I would personally need an esquisite analog vco in that setup. I could make do for a long while just like that + the vco...

-- dubheadz

Yeah, I was considering something like Intellijel's Dixie 2 or Make Noise STO.

I'm not waiting for this, partly because I still think Korg needs numerous repeated headpunches over their ARP 2600 (and a few other things besides) screwup saga...but ALSO because I know that Uli's planning to drop the BCR32, which is a smaller version of the BCR2000 that ALREADY includes the ZAQuencer firmware straight from the factory. And before anyone gets riled up, Uli actually got the rights from the ZAQuencer firmware's developer AND paid for that (or worked out some sort of arrangement per unit sold).

For those unfamiliar, the ZAQuencer is a 3rd-party firmware that runs on the BCR2000 knob controller to output up to three channels of eight steps via MIDI. It's also got a bunch of sneaky functions that are very useful and intuitive...and it's ALSO the reason why you don't see many BCR2000s on the used market for very long. The BCR32 even goes further, with CV/gate I/Os for each "channel" and a few ZAQ-centric additions. Think "poor man's MAQ16/3" here. So yeah, the Korg has more steps and what not, but it also seems a bit "closed-ended" in how it works, where the ZAQuencer is more adaptable and actually pretty agile in live use.

Depends on your definition of "travel case", I suppose. Sure, the Doepfer stuff has handles and so on, but you could go with a Mantis which can be had with a gig bag designed for that cab itself. But the bigger difference there is actually the cost: Doepfer A-100 6U = $530, Mantis = $335 + another $39 for the gig bag. There's definitely more space for utility and ancillary control modules with the additional 40 hp you'd get, too.

For example, if you wanted to go with the Time's Arrow (16 hp), that leaves 24 hp still open...and if you're adding a generative sequencer like that, you'll want some logic + other timing-altering widgets, quite a bit of that 24 hp would probably be best suited for those, and changes to what's already in the 2 x 84 version above would be minimal. But have a deeper look at the current case situation in Eurorack...some time back, I would've probably gone with the same 2 x 84 for a small travel rig, but just in the past five years, that whole aspect of the Eurorack thing got turned on its head by innovations such as the Mantis, Intellijel's 7U x 104 powered cabs, etc.

Well, when I define a "voice", what I'm referring to is the "source + modifier" part of a chain. So if you look at the Ts-L/Plaits pair as a "source" thanks to the 2-in VCA/mixer and the Sinc as the "modifier", that's how that should work. Remember: one VCO is good, but TWO of them means you can do quite a bit with detuning, waveform combination, etc + some form of mixing to sum those signals. And likewise, the Piston Honda has that dual oscillator architecture, then it feeds right to the Morgasmatron...but in this case, you can keep the entire "voice" in stereo, where the other "voice" is mono. And at the same time, you could just as easily patch those directly to the ES-9's inputs to stripe those directly to the DAW.

But the Cosmix is still pretty essential. Let's say that you come up with this complex result that requires the Cosmix's AUX send/return architecture to work with the Morphagene. Well, without the Cosmix (or something similar), you lose the ability to parallel process that way. I put it in because there'll be times that the working method from above is just fine, but there WILL be other points in time where you'll want to patch up something epic...and the stereo mixer/AUX architecture makes that much easier.

Well, here's where the "you need a bigger case" conversation starts. Haha
As you know, you are indeed limiting yourself from the start. Many of the tiny palette style cases are shallow, and so you are limiting the number of modules you can choose from. Once you factor in all of the ribbon power cables and flying bus cable, you very well may find that some of your modules won't fit (or won't fit where you want to place them). Also, limiting is the rack-wart power supply eating up valuable rack space... so, the choice is yours.
I know the aesthetics of the Moog case are tempting. An alternate consideration would be the 104hp Make Noise powered skiff. The power supply is built-in and plenty powerful, it's deeper (but not super deep), and you have a broader range of modules that you can choose from, depth- and hp-wise. Something to consider, anyway.
You are stepping into a world that offers a mind-boggling potential for sound sculpting, so I recommend taking advantage of that without placing any unnecessary limitations on yourself from the outset.
Have fun!

I wanted the sound to have volume and a wide stage. I tend to center my patches on low frequencies and build from there. I use tape because I like its effects on the overall soundscape.
If it sounds majestic, that's great. It's a fine compliment. It encourages me to post more sessions. I much of the time get caught in the act and forget to hit rec.

These are interesting patches. The range of beautiful tones is impressive. Trying to think of the right adjective to describe your sound... “majestic,” maybe?
Great work!
-- farkas

I would personally need an esquisite analog vco in that setup. I could make do for a long while just like that + the vco...

Hi all, I recently got into Eurorack after mainly using other non-modular hardware synths and software synths. I have been having a lot of fun, and I'm ready to add more. I like making ambient with my system, but I also like to make more rhythmic electronic things with Scales and an external clock.

my rack

Note: my Ornament and Crime is actually broken, I built it myself and one of the resistors started smoking when I plugged it in, so I am in the process of repairing that. I was thinking of waiting until I fixed it and experimented with o&c (and maybe Hemispheres) to see what I will need next, but also wanted to just get opinions overall.

For the next thing, I was considering Pamela's New Workout or the 4MS Clock Divider plus another voice, or maybe MI Beads that just came out. Before the inevitable "get a bigger case," I will, eventually, but I wanted to see what people think could fit well here with this case. Let me know what you think!

Awesome, thanks! These are some great places to start.

More generally for everyone: one other thing I forgot to ask about is that I know the Moog cases are pretty shallow, they apparently go to around 48mm, and I know some of the modules, especially the 2HP ones can be very deep. The Tune, for example, is listed at 47mm so how tight are we talking about here. This would apparently TECHNICALY fit but...

Since my last post here I have added Plaits, Ripples and Pamela's New Workout. I am still waiting for the Midi 1U, Quadratt, and I have the Disting EX on order too.

NOTE: This rack still shows the Mother 32 installed, but it will go eventually. I left it in because that's what I am looking at right now (except for the back-ordered items).

PNW is so deserving of all the hype. Amazing module, and between the Euclidean Stepping, Step Skipping and S&H, it gives me some of the randomization that was suggested above.

Any suggestions on a better arrangement of the modules here?

There's no mention of MPE in the manual. Try their support folks. They're usually pretty responsive. support@intellijel.com

Anyone else think the newly announced SQ-64 looks interesting? I looks pretty comprehensive to me. I have lusting after the Rene Mk2 but good luck finding one. It looks like they are targeting the modular crowd with their intro demo video using a small rack. With four lanes, stochastic and probability options, and lots of CV connectivity, I'm thinking it might be a good outboard sequencer and save rack space for other stuff.

Seems like you have done your research and you are definitely on the right track. With something this small, you will probably want to pack as much functionality as possible into the small space without sacrificing playability and fun. There's a trade-off between tiny modules and the fun factor, so a balance of large and small will maximize functionality and ergonomics. You also will probably want to consider a few function-dense menu-driven modules that detract from the one knob one function approach, but give you lots of options.
Maths and Disting are almost "must haves" in your case, from my perspective anyway. You can do the subharmonicon patch with Maths and DFAM (see Loopop's video). Disting does a bit of everything, though only one at a time, so you can add oscillators, filters, effects, waveshaping, utilities, etc. depending on your needs. You have attenuverters included in Maths too.
Veils and Kinks are probably the route I would go for VCAs, logic, and S&H. Pons Asinorum is a cool multi-envelope generator/LFO in a small package. Pam's New Workout can do all kinds of neat clocked things.
Take a look at how I might approach your specific build below. I'm sure others may chime in with other ideas.
Have fun and good luck.
ModularGrid Rack

*Edit - Keep your mults outside of the case with those inexpensive little star-shaped external mults you can find at most modular retailers. You probably won't need a buffered mult at this point.

Looking for some advice and alternative suggestions on how to fill out a 60hp Moog skiff to serve as a utility box for my existing group of synths. I'm mostly interested in making offbeat sounding pop music and Mort Garson-esque instrumental noodling songs.

ModularGrid Rack

After a lot of lurking I've noticed a few trends over and over which I am trying to be conscious of. First, everyone wants to make a minimal modular box because of youtubers that is more good looking than functional and has no room to grow. Second, everyone fills their cases with a bunch of fancy modules and forgets to add the connective tissue. Right now I have a group of synths I'm very happy with including a Korg Odyssey reissue (modded by a previous owner to include CV outs for square and saw waves), a Microfreak, an OP-Z driving everything as a drum machine and sequencer and the most recent additions: a Microvolt 3900 and a DFAM. These last two have got me a little curious about modular but I am not interested in building anything from scratch at present or diving headfirst into a big build. However I have noticed some deficiencies in the two semis and am looking to correct/enhance them via a small utility skiff. I like the Moog 60hp skiffs for vanity reasons because they look nice and also because I have limited desk space and I can slap one (or eventually maybe two) onto my DFAM via the Moog brackets. I am NOT interested right now in expanding into Eurorack in a big way or having this be my "starter kit." I am purely looking at these modules as adding additional functionality to my existing synths, which is why I'm not super interested in getting a massive case. I don't think I will be filling up much more than this.

My thinking for picking these modules is as follows:

1) the Microvolt has a lot of waveforms that it can spit out but it quickly runs out of ways to do that internally. At best you can coax two separate ones out via the split VCA inputs inside it. Adding the Quad VCA gives me more options for amplifying, though I am worried it might be overkill.

2)Similarly, the Maths gives me a lot of additional possibilities for mangling and changing the signals coming out of both synths. This seems like the "no brainer" cliché module but also one of the ones that has me very curious.

3) I added the Behringer 140 to get some more envelopes and another LFO at a cheap price, but I think it is maybe taking up too much space in the skiff? I'm not married to this one at all.

4) the DFAM sounds amazing but could use some quantizing to make it more melodic and able to play well with the other synths, which is why I added the 2HP tune. I know this is also available in the Disting but I thought that could serve better purposes in other areas, like an additional S&H, and I think I would be quantizing the DFAM enough that having a dedicated quantizer is worth it.

5) if I'm being honest I added the Buff because I had 2HP left over and it seemed like a nice thing to have.

I would probably buy the case to start and then slowly fill it with these, starting with the quantizer and Maths. There are so many threads on here of people's tiny cases and I recognize that lmao. In this situation I am really trying to specifically complement my existing studio set up rather than set off to build a big rack.

no specific recommendations, just thoughts:

I don't want to put you off modular, but you almost definitely will not get a more versatile (or whatever you mean by stronger) synth with the list of modules you describe, to achieve this in modular you will probably spend much much more than buying a waldorf or whatever fixed architecture synth you want to 'better'

buy a bigger case than you think you need - mantis is a good size, or the doepfer LC9 - smaller than this and you are paying way more per hp than makes sense

get more vcas than you think you need - a quad cascading vca such as veils is an excellent starting point

utility modules are your friends - they may look uninteresting, but they are the real deal in making modular more flexible(read stronger, if you will) than any fixed architecture synth

by utility modules I mean any and all modules that do not generate a signal (or primarily effect audio), but instead are used to modify, multiply and merge signals - so not a sound source, not a sound modifier, not a modulation source

imo a modular is balanced when at least 30% of the rackspace is taken up by utility modules (and I would not count final stage audio mixers or input/output modules of any kind in this) and at least another 20% is taken up by modulation sources

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I an help my neighbour with Pams but he still near a seqyeener
-- Raimond

there's no such thing as need a module of any type - filters can be vcos and sequencers can be patched from basic modules - lfos, random, envelope generators, mixers etc etc - and PAMs has the ability to generate quantized 'random' sequences - so the OP already has a sequencer - it just can't be purposefully programmed

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

First, thanks for the support guys!

sequencing : i Don't know
-- kaas
here are some things to consider when choosing a sequencer:

Do you use a daw? if so do you have an audio and/or midi interface? maybe a midi ->cv interface or a dc-coupled audio interface would be more suitable than an in rack sequencer (at least for now)

do you have other cv-able synths? that you want to sequence too? how many? you'll need to take this into account when choosing so that you have enough channels

do you have midi synths that you want to sequence? how many? maybe a sequencer that does midi as well as cv would be appropriate in this case

do you want to purposefully program sequences? or will random suffice for now?

if only the last answer is yes then pams will work for you - at least for now - this is probably a good thing as it will allow you to concentrate on learning the other modules - a dedicated sequencer can come later

if you absolutely must have a dedicated sequencer then I would suggest getting one with more channels than you think you will need - ie don't just buy one that has a single channel (as just like mixers, audio interfaces and vcas - you will need more, eventually)

in this size case I would want a maximum of 3 voices - otherwise there will not be enough room for the support modules - ie utilities - that make modular worthwhile over a fixed architecture synth - that would suggest that you need a sequencer with at least 4 channels (eventually) - but (and I'm contradicting myself a bit here) you could use less sequencer channels and tune your vcos to intervals - so vco 1 is tuned to C and vco 2 is tuned to G - send the same CV to both (via a buffered mult) - if you use the same envelope for both you are playing 'power chords', but if you use different envelopes for each you can do more complex things

The other pieces I recently posted were all variations of this patch. This is the last one, going to pull it all out. Oh, and there's some Mother-32 as well.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

I an help my neighbour with Pams but he still near a seqyeener

It may be worth taking a look at Noise Engineering's Numeric Repetitor and Zularic Repetitor.
I've been having a blast with the ZR in combination with some other gate sequencers.

-- farkas

I’ve had NR before but didn’t really click with it. And numeric is perhaps at its best whit its 12 step African beats but mostly I made sound like its shoes in a dryer 🙈

It may be worth taking a look at Noise Engineering's Numeric Repetitor and Zularic Repetitor.
I've been having a blast with the ZR in combination with some other gate sequencers.

Hello gang,

Im producing techno and im almost done setting up a 62 palette case "aka my expensive digitakt".

So I was thinking that i fill upp the last HP with a nano grids and a 1u switchable mult so I can feed both steppy and grids onto Salmple. this is what the final plan looks like.

Question is. Is there a better module than grids for adding rhythm and grooves to this little groove box?

this user has left ModularGrid

Smart communication and good transaction with @Shanewave
Merci Nicolas !

Hello, I'm making Techno Industrial EBM like Phase Fatale and I'm just getting inside this whole eurorack realm and my idea is to make a better waldorf XT/Q synth cuz I'm all about the wavetables.

I was thinking about:
sound source>vca>filter>envelope>lfo>midi to cv> clock divider>and cuz of a low budget the arturia beatstep pro.

any recomandations for making an even stronger synth than the waldorf shik

These are interesting patches. The range of beautiful tones is impressive. Trying to think of the right adjective to describe your sound... “majestic,” maybe?
Great work!

Excellent idea and video. May have to try this patch. Thanks for sharing!

I've recently become interested in Buchla synthesisers, in particular the Buchla Easel. I've been very taken with Todd Barton's demonstrations of this instrument. One of the things I found interesting was that learning about the deceptively simple design of the Buchla Easel, helped me to think about how I might patch my own micro modular set up. I came up with a playable patch that I don't think I would have arrived at if I hadn't learned about the Easel and the way Todd patches it. I guess it's obvious that studying synthesisers will teach you about patching but it is a new idea to me - looking at what Don Buchla considered to be essential for a performance synth gave me fresh eyes when it came to my own patching.

I was inspired enough by this to make a short video, which I've posted on YouTube. Here is the link, if you'd like to watch it.

thanks so much for the comments!

The reason why I picked a small case is because regardless of anything else, I wanna have one rack that is small enough so I can take it somewhere, hence the travel case. Also space is not the issue for me at this moment. I am learning modular, and I dont have any fancy modules that I need to cram into my rack, rather, Im looking for a small and simple setup where I can learn how utilities work and spend time and energy to really understand single modules, and, signal flow! So Im really into chosing the right utilities for me, even though that means renouncing sound sources or other fancy stuff. I guess no matther how big my rack is at the beginning, I will always want it to be bigger down the line. So I might as well get a small travel case that I can use until I know what more I want and then keep it as my more mobile case.

I will probably go with the Catalyst Audio Time’s Arrow for pitch sequencing. The rest im still thinking about...

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. This make a hell of a lot of sense, the module substitutions and additions look great, and I appreciate the revised signal flow.

A couple of quick questions on the revised layout;
- You talk about two "voices" by linking the Plaits and the Instruo, which makes sense, but I'm assuming with 3 oscillators (plus morphagene) you could have more than that. I'm guessing you'd just be limited on the utilities?
- I originally included a mixer, and the Cosmix is a great upgrade, but now I'm wondering whether it is really needed. One thing that worries me - and perhaps I'm too used to DAWs - is the ability to record individual "voices" as individual tracks, which was what I like about the ES-9 - it also allows me to add individual effects to tracks through Ableton.

Would it make sense to scrap the mixer and just feed everything directly into the ES-9? Alternatively, i could keep the mixer and use a simpler/cheaper PC to CV converter for CV signal output.. and then record separately through my soundcard. I can see there are benefits to keeping the mixer too.

Here's a patch with 8 drum pads from a Roland TD-17 triggering 2HP Kick, Snare, & Hat modules as well as ADDAC105 4-Voice Cluster. They're mixed through Planar and a Pittsburgh filter into V3kt to Typhoon and A-114 ring mods, with mid-side processing through the A-108 and A-101-1 filters before going to FX Aid. The mix is modulated by WMD Invert Offset from Rampage and envelope followers from the snare and hat through Time Warp. The drums are connected through a Beatstep Pro, which is clocking Pam's. The keyboard synth sounds are from a Yamaha CS-2x with an expression pedal controlling its filter.

Thank you! Quite delighted to be here! I've been a lurker for some time, but now, as my setup grows bigger, it helps me keep track of things...:)

Nice vibes @dubheadz, welcome and thanks for sharing!
-- troux

I've been solving this with a Disting (tuner mode) and an oscilloscope.

Hi Brunomolteni,

Wow, this is something very nice and special! I like the tension within the track and then that fat bass, wow! :-)

This is great work, so nice you are sharing this with us :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

quantizers only tune v/oct not vcos

if the vcos are out of tune, then it does not matter if your v/oct is quantized or not - the oscillators will still be out of tune, unless you've tuned them

yeah - I think Lugia was expecting this to be a pre-buying thread as so many are! - as a newbie there's no point putting discontinued modules in your want to buy

re utilitties: there are utilities and utilities

personally I do not count Maths or disting as utility modules - they are both extremely useful (I have both - well a newer Maths)

when I talk about utilities I mean simple modules that can modify, merge and multiply electrical signals - not generate them - and not really audio effects

I would look at (and yes you can patch some of these with Maths or select an algorithm in disting, but then that's used!) waveshapers/folders, matrix mixers, sequential switches, attenuators, attenuverters, offset, basic mixers, more vcas - veils, perhaps and then go on to discover more types of utility - maybe buy some to use with audio - I'd say 30-50% of a rack should be modulation and utilities - to some extent the more utilities you have the fewer modulation sources you need, but the more complex your modulation will be - a balancing act obviously

I'm jealous of this original Maths!

This thread is a reminder that OPs should provide a little context for why they are posting the rack, what is owned/planned, style of music, etc. It's hard to provide any valuable guidance without this information. The people who hang out in forums like this (myself included) have a tendency to assume, make judgments, and offer repetitive advice based off past experience and personal preferences, not always the OP's needs.
Let's remember that this is a fun hobby for most people. This rack as displayed isn't an instrument that I would assemble in this way, but it's not an expensive mess to the OP. I'd like to offer any of my limited experience to help you make it the instrument you want it to be. Give us some context for what you are trying to do, and many of us will try to take an objective look at it.
Have fun and good luck.

Guys, these are just modules I own. It’s not the order I have them racked. It is a mess on here. But very functional for me in real life. Yes I’m onto my utilities now. You gotta keep in mind some of these digital modules and the bigger ones have more than one function. When you end up having 6 Doepfer modules that one or two bigger modules can do what’s the point? I hate small or crappy pots on the new small modules also. And the whole idea of getting rid of modules just bc they are discontinued is super whack. All while peeps be still using and buying shitty clones Of Braids. Lol. I bought a lot of my modules used at a great discount. I’m stoked I have the OG Maths with lightning bolts. You wish you had it. Ha. And maths is a great utility that would take several Doepfer or smaller modules. Disting is a great utility module too. I love having one older dixie and one newer. Having that coarse knob on the older one is dope. Lugia you sound like an asshat and you are not helpful but Jim, what are you recommending for utilities? I know I could use some more mixing around the system CV wise and open to suggestions on other utility modules. Those behringer system 100m modules are well built end have lfos on like every module and lots of utilities. Buffered mult would be nice. Anyways thanks in advance.

Ryan wilson

Nice vibes @dubheadz, welcome and thanks for sharing!

@Lugia undoubtably knows more than me, but from recent explorations of my own I think it's possible to build at least a generative melody box in 62HP, so I took a crack at it, see below:

ModularGrid Rack

I left the Wogglebug and the Marbles, they seem great, but pulled out everything else. We're coasting a lot on the power of Marbles (for example we don't need a quantizer, it can do that for us), but that's ok, it's a powerful module! So, to review:

1) Shifty lets you route the output of one of Marble's melodies to up to four different synths, and has gate triggers which can be used for envelopes and/or for manipulating other parts of this rack. Want two synths to add some harmony while others handle the melodies? Shifty can help out here.
2) Switchblade lets you toggle different inputs, for example want to alternate the Deja Vu input into Marbles from an LFO or a Sample and Hold? Switchblade can help you there.
3) Ochd provides 8 long running LFOs, that can slowly shift different CVs around your system. Want long, slow change over time alongside a little more busy-ness? Ochd is your module.
4) Sample and Hold is pretty useful for generative work, RND Step gives you 3 sample and holds normalized and with pink noise sources if you don't patch them. This is a great control tool and a random source alongside Wobblebug.
5) Adding a Slew Limiter gives you a lot of new terrain to explore, so I added a Time Warp. Using this you can for example have the gate triggers from Marbles turn into smooth, rolling CVs that will stay high if there's lots of notes and will drop down if Marbles quiets down. It can also be used as an envelope generator, triggered by gates around the system. Even better, it's gate-able itself, so other modules can control when WMD fires off.
6) Speaking of gates, the Rotating Clock Divider lets you take one gate and create rhythms around it. If we're making ambient rhythm might not be the first thing that comes to mind, but this will help take output from e.g. Shifty/Marbles and create a sense of movement or complexity around the system, triggering an envelope to adjust a filter somewhere every so often, or toggle a Switchblade switch, stuff like that.
7) Hyrlo, smaller 6 channel mixer, will help you collate all your synths together.
8) We've gotta have reverb for generative ambient, FX Aid does a ton on top of that so it's a no-brainer in a rack this size.

For the 1U tiles, I added
1) a Quadratt so you can attenuate different control signals
2) a dual VCA to make more complex control signals
3) an oscilloscope so you can understand what's going on (surprisingly important!)
4) an LGP to let you do a little signal volume control here in case one of your outboard synths doesn't have VCA control.

One important note: I only picked modules that I felt you would still want were you to expand down the road. Everything here is small, yes, but also powerful and could hold its own in a rack of any size. So if you start here and find you really do want that 2 x 104HP rack you can just port some of this over.

Anyway, that's a lot of text, hopefully some of it's useful!

Generative != small. And why didn't you implement anything in the tile row?

I wouldn't have bought this cab for this purpose, frankly. Generative tends to imply a sizable network of interlinked control systems which act on each other at different orders of systemic control. It's not even exactly easy to do effectively in a 2 x 104 cab, although you can get there by totally compromising your ergonomics and cramming the case full of small modules. I understand that the point here is to try and put together a small "sidecar" for the generative processes...but honestly, you're not even close to where this should be.

And they can probably get more space for more utilities by eliminating the discontinued modules, for starters. Doepfer A-199, Maths, Linix, Dixie II...

Basically, this is an effin' mess. An EXPENSIVE effin' mess, at that. It looks for all the world like someone just threw things into a case at random, with no forethought about workflow, signal paths, necessary utilities and "assisting" modules, etc. But they DID make sure and use the biggest modules in many cases because...uhhh...big module = big noise?