Hi folks,

I'm new to modular and ModularGrid, but I'm a longtime musician, and familiar with VST-based synthesis.

I have a couple questions I would love to hear advice on from you experienced modular synthesists!

My near-term goal with modular is to have a system that will be deep and fun to use for making interesting EDM bass and lead sounds -- sounds with a lot of intrinsic appeal and interest AND subtle change to them over time that can keep interest or be used structurally in a song (as in the case of an evolving lead that reaches its "fullest" version at the "drop"). As a musical example, think of some of Deadmau5's feature sounds.

***Questions: what types of modules would you recommend for a system like this? What is a good ratio of modules (e.g. OSC vs. filters vs. control signals vs. VCAs, etc.) in this type of system? (And last, less importantly but I'm still curious about this) are there favorite modules that you might recommend for a system like this?

For reference, we can imagine a 9U 84HP rig (~252 total HP) as a likely case setup.

I'm asking these questions because as a modular newbie:
-- I'm concerned I may wayyyyyy over-index on certain module types, especially oscillators and filters
-- I'm concerned I may miss certain important module types (things important to modular but that I wouldn't immediately think of, having come from software synthesis)
-- more broadly, I don't want my approach and experience with modular to be dominated (and limited) by my prior experience with soft-synths; I want to get into what makes modular great

My base-case assumptions are I would need:
-- 1 or more interesting Oscillator module
-- 1 or more interesting filter
-- CV sources including envelope, LFO, and random
-- a reasonable # of VCAs, mixers, and mults
-- modules for MIDI in (or sequencer) and audio out

To me, this thread is an interesting question: what module types and #s to include to get the most sound-design depth and power out of a total ~252HP rig for EDM bass and leads? I hope you also find this interesting and look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks!!

Nicholas

Interesting...it's worth noting that Serge offered (and still sort of does) several sequencers of various lengths...including some odd-numbered lengths like 7 or 5. Most of the time, these come in handy for making sequenced transpositions, with the sequencer being clocked by a divided clock signal to slow the "odd" sequencer down for that purpose. However, they can also provide things such as envelope timing variations to change articulations, sequence-specific modulation, and so forth.

Not when pairing stuff with Maths. That module is a modulation Swiss Army Knife...does everything, works anywhere with anything. It's truly one of the most important and useful modules to have come along in ANY format.

Yeah, it's a glitch. Some browsers don't exactly "speak" what MG gives them to work with, so you get glitches like that. It seems like Firefox (Mozilla) based browsers have this the worst...but as Jim notes, just refresh the page, and everything should snap back to where it belongs.

Normal, actually. When you turn the "Inject" control up, you're adding a DC offset to whatever signal is there. And if there's no signal present, the wavefolder is trying to make something out of the DC offset...which is what you're hearing. The key to avoiding this is to keep the "Inject" down for most uses, unless you're trying to shift the waveform above or below the zero-crossing line. In those cases, that would be when you'll use the DC offset to "push" the waveform to where it needs to go.

Also, some fairly aggressive wavefolders can create waveform deformation to such a degree that it would SEEM as if there's noise present in the signal, but the issue really stems from some sort of very tight and very high-amplitude "scrunch" that's going on in part of the waveform. Ultimately, the "fix" is to simply note where the "don't" position is on the "Inject", then don't put the knob there...unless you WANT the noise, in which case...

Hi Farkas,

Good that you mentioned it (again), Future Sound Systems I mean, wasn't on my watchlist yet, now it is :-)

Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks for checking it out. Yes, if you’re referring to the weird “vocal” sound a few minutes in, I just had to do something with it. I haven’t mastered the Future Sound Systems modules yet, so when I stumble across an interesting sound I try to record it. Those modules are unpredictable and deceptively deep. Such an underrated company.
Have a great weekend.

Hi Farkas,

He, he, I love those funny sounds you use as the kind of lead-voice, great stuff :-)

Yes indeed, David Sylvian seems to be concentrated in looking at your jam, he's watching over you ;-)

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Listening now. Great work, Brett. Your melodic transitions and layering are really fun to listen to.
Keep sharing!

Hi all,

I decided to see if I could just do a longer jam today as it is something i'm trying to achieve.
There are some good parts, and parts to improve, but all up - I wanted to do a longer jam and share it:

Any/all feedback is welcome!
Brett

Was messing with the FSS Recombination Engine last night and decided to record a little live improv jam. Took me a minute to find a groove but I was digging the hypnotic (to me at least, haha), four on the floor, dark, dub techno vibes as David Sylvian looks on.
Enjoy. Thanks for your time.

There are wigglers who don't have a Unicorn account?

First thing I advise anyone serious about modular synths to do... so much good value, it terrifies me to think it may not live to see another day because people didn't support it enough! It's only a few bucks, there's no excuse really! I haven't worked since March last year, nearly a whole year (argh... argh... argh!!!) but I still managed to find enough to cover the subs for this year!

Thank you for all your efforts, I don't like ads, but the ones here seem to be fine ;)

Looks fun, nice to see you bleep'in @Nabroc!

LOL

@ural, nice yeah I am trying to decide between the Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Vector with expander for my next modular sequencer. I really like the workflow of my Winter Eloquencer and being able to see 8 tracks at once of patterns and quickly change them on the fly instantly as well as save presets, chain songs, and so forth.
-- sacguy71

never used Vector. tried Eloquencer for some days while ago - didn't like it.

in terms of workflow Black Sequencer is more spontanous than Nerdseq - less menu diving etc.

Nerdseq has more channels and built-in basic sampler and simple FM synth. i like tracker concept very much, but of course you can't compare Nerdseq with modern trackers.

if i like sequence Eurorack I'd prefer Black Seq now, if I like to do "serious" sequencing - then Cirklon. If I like to use tracker - it is Renoise.

I've just bought Make Noise- Maths. Which it seems, so has everyone else on here and was pleased to find it in a shop in Bristol.
Is there anything I should avoid buying, which is similar to Maths or wouldn't compliment it ?.

Moral of the story: noise chasing isn't the easiest thing, and often the solution is far from intuitive. Had I NOT had a long background of working with amateur radio, shortwave listening, and such, I probably wouldn't have figured out what was happening, as you'd never expect an RFI issue like that.
-- Lugia

Ha nice story! I also read at muffwiggler about someone who had signals in his modular caused by the plasma lamp next door :D

anyway, my problem seems to be system related or better to say system related in connection with the beads.
others have exactly the same problem. someone else started a thread in the mi community
https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/beads-constant-high-pitched-noise-on-outputs/18263/17

But the nature of hardware is that it has a noise floor undeniable. would be interesting to have something that takes that out a bit before hand.
Need to wrap my head around this. Because its something that sometimes gets on my nerves, fo example when I am processing the signal afterwards

j.manuel

Big question is, do I need to buy any patch cables to get any noise out of this “expensive waste of a rack”? I can’t seem to get any sound out of it by just racking and looking at them, trying to match black and silver and so worried about HP and the cool new version of clouds 😂. Thanks guys. Guess I have a new forum to mess around on.

-- Analogryan123

hahahahahahaha

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

what happens when you refresh the page after this happens?

I think I've had the same thing happen and refreshing hte page generally fixes the issue for me

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

thanks very much, I will keep that in mind.

Either way, welcome to the forum/conversation. I think we're all so used to people sharing their racks here for the sole purpose of starting a conversation and getting guidance.
Branches might be neat for adding some random variation to your triggers, and something like the Klavis Mixwitch might be worth a look if you do decide to invest in a switch. The Mixwitch does a few different things in a small footprint. I've been amazed with the sounds I get out of QPAS if you decide to add another filter. I may have overlooked it, but something like a Doepfer A119 envelope follower might be useful if you are incorporating external drum machines... Just one of those utilities I didn't think I would use as much as I do.
Have fun and good luck.
-- farkas

Hey Farkas thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah I totally overlooked what people are using the forum for or that a forum existed for that matter lol. I do want some variation with my triggers and will look into branches. Regarding the Qpas, I decided to go with the SSF stereo dipole. It’s an amazing filer that has similar idea but fucjing dirty! I was hesitant to purchase based off descriptions and videos. Made it seem like qpas was the filthy grimy quad filter and stereo dipole the more tame. So glad I had the chance to play with the dipole in person!!. Regarding the Doepfer envelope follower... that has always been on my list and it’s cheap and useful.

Jim... I get it now with the utility modules. All I had to do was finally rack my Mordax. Ha. Yeah I need to stop only thinking about audio routing and have some good cv routing and mixing tools. I’m slowly learning but I’m stoked since day one I’ve been happy with what I can get out of my system. Big question is, do I need to buy any patch cables to get any noise out of this “expensive waste of a rack”? I can’t seem to get any sound out of it by just racking and looking at them, trying to match black and silver and so worried about HP and the cool new version of clouds 😂. Thanks guys. Guess I have a new forum to mess around on.

Ryan wilson

I'm noticing when browsing modules to add to my rack, I will scroll back up to my rack to find several modules have disappeared. I have shortcut keys turned off. This happens to me frequently on IE, so I've been maintaining backup copies of my racks. Is this a known bug?

exactly - worst case scenario is you need some utilities to get everything to play nicely together - you could even use a couple of mults or stackcables and do both!!!

I've not seen many nonlinearcircuits modules around - I built a triple sloths which i use a lot - a nice easy smd build iirc - did you build it or buy it?
-- JimHowell1970

I use a precision adder like the Doepfer or T43 to combine the pitch voltages coming from the sequencers. Also, a couple of clock dividers (VC over factor is nice) and some logic and a switch/router to jumble things around.

I did not build my Bindubba, our own @RTFM did that.

To get back to the complex sequencer topic: For me a complex sequencer can be as simple as a 4-step sequencer with a reset jack (ok more than one). What makes it complex is what other modules are patched around it, and how.

this user has left ModularGrid

ok cool - it's great to hear that!!!!

now stop seeing the 3 cases as separate instruments and see a single modular synthesizer - then combine sequencers!!! - I'd use the euclidian circles to clock nearly everything including the sequencers!
-- JimHowell1970

Indeed and once I get moved into my new studio space, then I will have my setups organized and connected better. I plan to have a large wall of modular! Then I can sequence my sequencers from all three racks in harmony. Maybe get the large 14u doepfer monster case to put on top of my base case and then I won't run out of room for at least another year. Probably add a few smaller palette cases and another 7U case for travel jams. I do like what I see in the new Erica Synths Black Sequencer, Vector and new Intellijel Metropolix sequencers that offer different things.

Hello,

I bought the TipTop Audio - Fold Processor and while testing it, I discoverd, that without an input signal and when I turn the "Inject"-Knob there came some noise on the out, not very loud, but absolutely audible and a little bit anoying.

My question is:
Is this a normal/default behaviour or is it a production/manufacturer error?

Because, if i send a signal thru the Fold Processor and I have an unfavorable "Inject"-Knob position, the noise is clearly audible in the input signal on the out; on another position, it is there is no noise audible, but I think this may not be valid behavior.

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Thread: Mine

I'm pretty sure that if you put the M32 back in the case it belongs in, you'll start to get a much better picture of how the cab is supposed to be set up. For one thing, you'll be able to jam a lot of the skiff modules into the Mantis, and you can easily cook up a gig bag that can accommodate both the M32 and Mantis. It'll also make what can be done with the Eloquencer a lot more obvious by having more modules for it to act on in close proximity.

Also, don't stick the Neutron in the Eurorack cab. This is a VERY common build error, with the end result being that you're using your expensive Eurorack hp and power for a device that already has a cab and power. Keep the Eurorack cab for Eurorack modules only.

Otherwise, yes...if it's Eurorack-format, it'll go in any Eurorack-format case. Like Jim said, though, be VERY careful about your current draws, and try and keep these to at least 3/4ths of the total amperage capacity of the case's P/S. DON'T run the current values up to the case's limit, as many modules have an inrush current for a fraction of a second on power-up that exceeds the rated current draw for that module. I'd suggest a value even lower, perhaps 2/3rds of the cab's capacity at max...also, this helps your P/S live longer, as a "loafing" P/S tends to generate less component heat, and that heat is the enemy of ALL electronic components over time.

At least it's just a problem in the Eurorack cab itself. This reminds me of a much more confusing "noise" issue I ran into in the studio back in the mid-80s...

I was setting up some mics on a piano. I'd put up a stereo pair of AKG 414s overhead for the overall sound, a couple of AKG 451s aimed inside the piano, and I put a Shure SM81 underneath to capture more of the cabinet resonance. Walked back into the control room, ran up the channels to check for room tone issues...and waaaaaay down low, I could hear a...piano?

OK, there wasn't anyone playing it at this point. Piano's still there, though...so I pushed the input pre and fader to the max to see what in the hell this could be. And I heard the same four chords being repeated...and a voice saying "Radio Canada International" in English and French. And I knew EXACTLY what that was. It was only on that Shure, though...

I went back out, swapped the SM81 for a different pencil condenser, went back into the control room...no piano noise.

So what WAS that, anyway? Well...somehow, the SM81 was picking up a shortwave broadcast transmitted from Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada on Radio Canada. Now, if I lived right down the road from this, it might make sense. But this was out in the Nashville burbs, over 1000 miles distant. Suffice to say, I tagged the mic for the studio tech to deal with, and since then I've got a rule that I DO NOT use Shure condenser mics, period.

Moral of the story: noise chasing isn't the easiest thing, and often the solution is far from intuitive. Had I NOT had a long background of working with amateur radio, shortwave listening, and such, I probably wouldn't have figured out what was happening, as you'd never expect an RFI issue like that.

Yep...you're on track. Now, it's just a matter of experimentation...

The process actually reminds me of how I first learned piano, over 55 years back. You'd start with "middle C", get used to where it is, how the piano action affects how your playing sounds...then you'd move on to adding a "D", a "B", etc. Eventually, the primary book would end, but you had the location of the notes on the keyboard relative to the dots-n-lines of the music DOWN by the time you got there. Learning modular is kinda the same...start basic, add stuff, take notes about what does what, what you like, what you don't, etc. Even in my undergrad, my electronic music (and composition) prof taught us that the only thing you don't do is to connect outputs to outputs and inputs to inputs...otherwise, it's solvitur ambulando turf.

Thread: Mine

At the slim chance that any one ever reads this, the point of this case has always been for quick and improv sessions.
The actual 'rack' is a mantis case plus a makenoise skiff, nicely the same size.
The skiff has been nice for the portability, but I've often wanted what was in the mantis case with me with the exception of the Eloquencer. So, until I have a 4 row case built, this is what I have to work with and the reasoning behind the re-adjusting that constantly goes on.

Hi Farkas,

You are welcome! :-)

Kind regards and have a good weekend, Garfield.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on these cases. Your setup (LMB & LMS9) is exactly the combination I am considering. They are incredibly economical and available at one of the modular shops I usually order from. I definitely do need to go through my planned rack to break down the power consumption per row. Thanks for the reminder and details about the LMS9 power supplies.
I'll probably invest in these new cases in May, so I'll let you know if I have any more questions in the meantime.
I know what you mean about packing the racks with modules so quickly. After looking through your module reviews, I'll probably buy a few more. ;)
Thanks again for all of your input, and for making the modular community a welcoming place.

Purpose:

Not really a unit for making sound on it's own but more like "experimental toolbox" to use with with VCV Rack and 8in/8out DC coupled interface ESI ESP1010.
As well as to use with semi-modular Behringers. Neutron, Crave and some TD-3, although most of it should stay on "classic MIDI" with Novation Bassstation II.
And most importantly having fun and figuring out what I need.

Start:

I got 88hp rubadub case with Bastl Cinnamon in early 2020 and another very cheap already built total DIY project by cool Slovakian Architect. It's power supply with 6U ~78HP case built on merkur skeleton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkur_(toy)) and wooden box.

Then covid hit, had to move, unexpected loss of income for few months, but 6 months later I finally saved for some gear and started getting DIY kits.
I also decided to spend on tiptop uzeus power supply to keep everything tidy in 88hp rubadub and avoid it's imperfect PSU (loud tiny fan on voltage regulator).
Built Sonic Potions Mal-2 random generator and Bastl Tromsø, the multi VCO/Comparator/Sample&Hold/Analogue downsampler.
3 modules were fine, but I decided to invest more and build more.

Boom:

So I opened shop again and as I plan to build Lyra-8 I wanted to source parts for other modules. Noise Kitchen (Bastl's shop) sells PCB+panels and they provide enough info about parts or supply programmed chips.

Also started snooping on second sales and started getting some bellow 100 eur modules I found interesting or rare (Bastl's wooden pannels for example, new aluminum is fine and thin, but the wood is what I recall I had my mind blown from.

Current status:

Sorting orders regarding parts for Quattro Figaro, Popcorn + Exts and Sense, which I am most excited to use with some real world sensors probably helping via OMSynth (breadboard with utility PCB) or even Bastl Kastle.

Future:

I installed big piece of wood as a blank probably 60HP wide and hoped to be sane and get only what I think I would really use and fill up the case after a year soonest.
But two weeks later and now it's full case.

I got the 84hp rails from tiptop's happy-ending kit and I'll probably put it on in ideally 7u aluminum toolbox for hopefully some future easy transportation, will see.
There is still merkur box to "park" extra modules to.

Hi Ivo,

Nice fun music, I like it!

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Farkas,

Ha, ha, thank you :-) Well... I wouldn't go as far as calling it a dissertation however... yes indeed besides (in my other life) my usual architect role in IT & telecommunication industry, usually large, solutions and setups, I am a technical document writer as well, hence that kind of setup of the review reports ;-)

What exactly would you like to know about the Doepfer monster cases? I mean, if I am going to write a review report about that you have to read another 20 pages ;-) Just kidding, I am not going to write a review report about cases... oh ooooh... having just said that... perhaps in the far future but not for now.

Roughly there are two types of Doepfer monster cases, the "cheap" series or "economy" monster cases, meaning the case has been made of simple but, at least that's how I experience it, still nice plywood or the "suitcase" style and better looking monster racks/cases.

The simple ones are the A-100 LMB(V) and A-100 LMS9(V) and the better looking ones (suitcase + cover) are the A-100 PMB, A-100PMS6, A-100PMS9 and A-100PMS12. I have myself a set of A-100 LMB and A-100 LMS9 whereby the LMS9 stands on top of the LMB and that's just a great set together. It's very economically as well, at least here in Europe, it's the most economical rack available, at least the LMS9 that is, the lowest price per HP.

The LMS9 has 3 rows of each 168 HP. The 9 stands for 9 U. The B stands for base; I guess but I might have read it somewhere as well. The V indicates a black painted plywood case (I have the non-V variant though, that's just plain and not painted plywood version). From a power supply point of view you have to be a little bit careful if you have power-hungry modules however if you have the combination of LMB (relatively more power per HP) and the LMS9 (relatively less power per HP) then you should be fine, you can then put the more power-hungry modules in the LMB rack and the less power consuming modules in the LMS9. In that way, I haven't faced any power consumption issue yet. Easy for me to say because...

For my own usage, I made a spreadsheet that contains a list of all the Euro rack modules I have with tons of information in it, power consumption on all power rails are parts of that. I then created names for the Euro racks I have and add a name of such rack behind the module I own. Then with some spreadsheet calculations it's easy to see your power consumption on a per PSU (Power Supply Unit) basis of each rack. So for example that LMS9 has two PSUs, so I call that rack LMS9-1 (for the left PSU in that LMS9 rack) and LMS9-2 (for the right PSU in that LMS9 rack) for example and the LMB-1 and LMB-2 in that way you can keep track of the power consumption of all PSUs (and of course in combination with the racks).

But I am drifting off the subject of Doepfer monster cases ;-) So back to that subject:

I also own one of those more fancy looking monster cases. If I have to be honest, they look great but I wouldn't easily use them as a way of transporting my modules to another location and have there a jam with it. These PMS cases weight a ton (almost) and since I am not a bodybuilder or otherwise strong person, I will face difficulties in carrying such a case around the globe for fun ;-) I still might do it after the Covid but that would be rather the exceptional case than a regular and default solution. Perhaps on the long term I might consider an Intellijel 7U case for visiting people to jam together.

Coming back to that power consumption topic. The bases (i.e. A-100PMB and A-100LMB) have each two PSUs and for just two rows per case, that's really sufficient. However if you take the LMS9 it has 3 rows (of 168 HP) with also just two PSUs and that can be in certain cases a bit limiting. But as I already mentioned, if you combine an LMS9 with an LMB, you really should be fine, in my opinion.

The A-100PMS6 also has 2 PSUs, so again one PSU per row, thus fine and the PMS12 even got 4 PSUs, again one PSU per row, so totally fine. It's just that LMS9 case where you have to keep an eye on the power consumption, hence the interesting price for such rack.

At the backside per monster case you just have one power cable connection, no matter if you have a case with 2 or 4 PSUs, so you only have one power cable. The rubber feet under those monster cases are seriously stable and of course you can cause the case to tumble backwards but with some respectful handling of the case it stands actually very stable on those rubber feet.

For this LMB and LMS9 set I also bought the A-100MVG set of very thick iron (I guess it is iron) black painted plates. These plates are actually meant for the PMB and PMS racks and though it doesn't fit perfectly it still can be used for the LMB & LMS9 combination as well; which is what I am doing. Doepfer didn't really perfectly designed the LMB and LMS9 (in context with the A-100MVG set and yes I know this set was meant to be used for PMS series but still), on each of the cases one small screw is going to be covered a bit by those plates making it not perfect but it suits its purpose to keep the racks bundled together :-)

For my LMB & LMS9 set, I use those A-100MVG plates at the back side of the cases and at the more towards the front of the sides of those cases I added myself on each side one smaller plate to keep there the cases together as well. It's plywood so it's easy to drill a few small holes in there and tighten those metal plates with a few screws and nuts and then you got a rock-solid set of LMB & LMS9 and then those rubber feet of the LMB are sufficient enough to keep that rack-set into place without worrying that it might tumble unless you put your entire body weight against it, of course then it will :-)

Anything else that comes to my mind...? Not for the moment, I am really happy with this LMB & LMS9 set, so giving me 5 rows of each 168 HP = 840 HP. Plenty of space!

If you don't live in a Hobbit house hence your ceiling is not too low ;-) You can add even one more LMS9 rack on top of that giving you 8 rows * 168 = 1344 HP, even more space ;-)

The "only problem" I have with this LMB & LMS9 set isn't really Doepfer's mistake, it's rather my own caused "problem". That problem is...

That set of LMB & LMS9 is already near fully packed with modules :-( and of course ;-) It's so nice to use this combination of LMB & LMS9 and you might think: "Oh plenty of space", indeed but even then, there comes a time that even those racks are going to be fully packed with modules...

But yes, I can, without any hesitation, recommend the Doepfer monster racks, I really like them, especially those LMB & LMS9 ones since they are more affordable than those expensive (but nice looking) PMB & PMS racks.

Not sure if I covered everything, otherwise just let me know what you would like to know.

Edit: Oh yes, I forgot, another huge benefit of Doepfer cases is... I really don't bother to check the depth of modules because most likely it's going to fit ;-) Well I actually do check it most of the times but what I am trying to say is... if it doesn't fit in a Doepfer case it most likely isn't going to fit in any other case either ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

So you gain a channel, but you lose the VCA. I have the Pusherman DIY version, and it actually says Popple right on the board.

Thank you to all of you guys for this.
I think that I am going to start with a really simple system of
VCO - Plaits
VCA - Veils
VCF - Ripples
LFO/ENV - Stages
DELAY - Mimeophon
SEQ - Bloom
+ Links and Kinks
and play with that for a few months to see what it can do.

This might not be the most adventurous set up in the world but I can put it all across the top line of a Mantis Case and have plenty of room to grow into and get a feel for what I might want next!
Thank you to everyone who posted you are all really kind to give your time to a newb like me. I hope that in years to come I may be able to offer future newbs sound advice in return.

Thanks very much.
I'll have a look at the suggestions.

Hi

good idea to get a big case - they are a lot more economical in the long term than the beauty cases so many people misguidedly seem to want to start with

yes the go case should be compatible with any eurorack module

you do however need to keep an eye on cumulative power draw - find the total power draw for your proposed modules by putting them in a rack here - mostly the power stats are ok

the draw should be at most 70-80% of the available power for each rail from thee pus- check this with in the manual for the case or online

this allows for incorrect stats and onrush issues - where some digital modules need much more power than advertised during their boot phase - but may not eliminate them altogether

as for first modules

Maths - it will add more modulation and envelop generation to the neutron and is an excellent learning tool for modular in general - see the illustrated manual, available online - 32 illustrated examples of patch programming it to do different useful functions in modular

a vco and filter - I like Doepfer or mutable instruments for these but if you want noisy then you may prefer Noise Engineering and Schlappi - pretty much anything can get noisy if you want it to!

a quad cascading vca - I specifically recommend veils for this role - especially if you want access to gain - also useful for modulation sources, external input and mixing

don't forget patch cables, maybe a good idea to pick up a few stackcables or headphone splitters for multing signals

I’m pretty sure that’s happened, though I couldn’t even tell you what the V shortcut does. Hell, I just recently discovered the < and > shortcuts. :D

I have been using the Squarp Hermod from the start of my modular journey, still very happy with it, especially since Squarp has kept releasing significant firmware updates to this day, making it a sequencing powerhouse. I really appreciate such companies who still keep supporting their modules years after release.
I can drive the modular voices via external MIDI, I can have well behaved programmed sequences or completely random and anything in between with the MIDI effects, I can drive mono or multi-timbral voices, you name it. I find it's a very nice option for small-ish racks because the functionality per HP is just insane.
Recently I picked up Marbles and so far, I've been using a small Doepfer quad switch to quickly have a choice of sequencing from Marbles or Hermod for 2 of my voices, and am now looking for ways of combining both sequencers using logic. Lugia came up with a fantastic version of my rack which I'm still wrapping my head around, involving a very complex modulation section. With that golden advice in my mental toolbox, I'm now exploring the logic apps of O&C Hemispheres to find a way to tie everything together. Will also pick up a Quadrax with expander whose numerous gate outputs should provide more ways for the pieces of the patches to interact together.
Suggestions on using modular magic to combine sequencers welcome ! :)

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Hi everyone, greetings from Bristol, UK.

I've just bought a 'Behringer Eurorack go', it comes with a power supply. All I know about Modular synthesis comes from watching 'I dream of wires' twice. So nothing. I have a Neutron, but that's it atm.
From there can I buy any Eurorack modules(will they be compatible ?). I have no plan, apart from to make as much noise as I can.
Does anyone have a Neutron in their rack and what modules work well with it ?. I have many kids, so will be building slowly, but would like to get a couple of extra modules now.

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Latest track/performance:

exactly - worst case scenario is you need some utilities to get everything to play nicely together - you could even use a couple of mults or stackcables and do both!!!

I've not seen many nonlinearcircuits modules around - I built a triple sloths which i use a lot - a nice easy smd build iirc - did you build it or buy it?

...I'd use the euclidian circles to clock nearly everything including the sequencers!
-- JimHowell1970

Right. Erica didn't complain about my using their quad lane Pico Trigg trigger generator to drive the x and y clocks of my Bindubba sequencer (rather than their Pico drums ;-))

don't listen to the newbie!!! he's only been around a year, apart from the part about listening to me, of course!!!

hahha

but seriously some good pointers there from sacguy71!

I don't have any harvestman/ime modules and probably never will have - listen before you buy (as with everything!!!)

Filters are good get these - more than you think you need, variety is the spice of life and you will get more variety from filters than analog vcos, for example - especially as a lot of filters can be oscillators too! but again - listen

the path to finding the sequencer that is for you can be a long and arduous one - and it may be a combination of modules not just one - I have a combination of about 6 or 7 (one of which I'm not keen on but will move to a different location to focus on it a bit more before thinking about getting rid of it) which together make up a complex sequencer - because they all do different things that I need in my sequencer! it's really down to the workflow you want and the functionality you need - not other peoples' workflow and needs

I think at least 25-30% of the rack should be utilities for it to become anywhere near balanced - a decent selection of different things and there is nothing wrong with duplicate - most of my vcas are the same and I have multiple shades for example

Mixers, there are so many too choose from! get a bigger one than you think you need for a final mixer - or an expandable one - I have a tesseract tex-mix 8 mono channels and 4 stereo - which cost less than half of the performance mixer - there are a few features missing, most of which I have anyway - or can patch easily - such as auto-panning if I want it - but it has the advantage that if I want to add an extra 4 channels then I can for relatively little and the direct outs are post-fader and inexpensive and have 1/4" as well as 1/8" jacks if you want that (although you do loose some channels using the 1/4")

I'm on the same Safari version. Strangely I couldn't reproduce this behaviour just now. Because scrolling actually steals focus from the search field as soon as the cursor is over the rack. But I'm sure what you're describing has happened to me before as well. Just don't know I did it. Do the 'd' and 'v' keys also insert new modules while you're in the search field?

ok cool - it's great to hear that!!!!

now stop seeing the 3 cases as separate instruments and see a single modular synthesizer - then combine sequencers!!! - I'd use the euclidian circles to clock nearly everything including the sequencers!

This only ever happens to me when I forget to move the cursor away from the rack. Maybe executing shortcuts could be disabled when the search field has the focus?
-- senor-bling

It happens to me often, even while the search field has the focus. I’m not sure that’s the answer, but if there’s a way to try it... sure, why not?

I’m on Safari 14.x, so it’s not like I’m on some ancient unsupported browser.

@sacguy71

instead of chasing functionality of different sequencers - have you considered combining the sequencers you have into a complex sequencer?
-- JimHowell1970

Yes, indeed I have and do this already. I feed external clock from Eloquencer to my Varigate 4+ and use these in my base case and have fun with the tonal variations. On my smaller 6u case, I feed PNW into Mimetic Digalis and mix that with Euclidian Circles for beats. Then modulate it like crazy with Batumi and Quadrax!

For my MDLR 14u case, I use a combination of WMD Metron with Stillson Hammer MK2, Acid Rain Maestro and Rossum mob of emus for pure chaos. This is tons of fun because I can cross modulate with infinite options and flexibility. Maestro has multiple swim lane channels of pattern modulation that can be saved as presets sort of and used with other modules. Mob of Emus has crazy options as well.

So for now, I really don't need any more sequencers as I have a real powerhouse arsenal of sequencers and modulators to my heart's content! I am soo glad that I took your advice to invest in support modules like VCAs, attenuators/attenuverters, mults, logic, matrix mixer, sequential switches and so forth as they come in super useful for patches. At first I had no idea what to do with them but over time, they are used in most patches for random generative stuff.