Hi Later On Maybe,

It certainly helps when you have the sequencer and most of the effects external so you can optimise the space here in this rack.

My advice is to not plan the rack entirely full but leave close to one row empty first, gain some experience with the modules you are going to start with and then review your own planning how you like to proceed.

Though you mentioned that you would like to have a complete voice like the Atlantis, for a small rack like this I would reconsider that if I were you. Instead you could consider to take a hybrid modular system, like for example a Neutron. A) It's much cheaper and B) it saves you a lot of space in your rack.

The Atlantis is 40 HP that is 19.2% or almost one-fifth of your total available rack space... are you sure you want to fill up your rack with such large modules and soon need to buy yet another rack?

The same question goes for the Harmonic Oscillator from Verbos, I don't know the module but I am quite sure it's a fantastic oscillator, especially when you look at the price then it must be something ;-) Look at the HP space as well... 32 HP, another 15.4% gone.

So leave these two modules out and you save yourself 72 HP or 35% of rack space --> that's more than a third of your total available rack space! So you might want to reconsider these two modules.

Instead you could consider a Plaits from Mutable Instruments and a Dixie II+ from Intellijel; just some examples, you can add any other oscillator you like. My advice is start simple and when you are ready for it you still can buy another rack and go for the large & heavy stuff.

The 1 U passive multiple, do you really need that when you get started? Perhaps not yet, right? So my advice is to leave that out first and keep some 1 U space as a reserve. The same goes for that FSR 1 U module, I am sure that the first few times using that module is a lot of fun, but on the long run a good investment? Perhaps consider an expression pedal instead on the long run?

Instead of the 1 U pedal module I would consider a 1 U Audio I/O module. Then once you bought your 2nd Intellijel 2 x 104 HP case then you could consider the 1 U pedal module. You don't believe me that you are going to need a second rack? Well the way you plan your rather large (don't take too small modules either though) slurping HP-modules ;-) You need a 2nd casing faster than you can say: "Shit my first rack is already full! I didn't expect that to happen" ;-)

I might overdo it here a little bit but I hope you get my point :-)

Oh yes, I am not sure but I don't think I saw a mixer in your rack, consider a four channel mixer so you can mix that to a stereo output to your external mixer.

I guess for a starter this should help you a bit I hope, shout if you need to know more. Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I've been thinking about a Serge rack and curious what people think about it. I have a very Euro-y rack I've been putting together recently with a ton of digital modules, but I'd also like to explore a more strict approach to synthesis, and there seem to be a lot of folks out there who just love Serge. I've taken a crack at it, and you can see it here:

ModularGrid Rack

There's a few non-Serge utility modules (do they not make any VCAs for Euro?), but it's 95% Serge. The biggest question I have right now is if the sequencer is really worth all that HP, so I'd love to hear thoughts on that and just Serge in Euro in general. Does it live up to the hype? Would it make more sense to just buy the old school Serge format racks like the Bestia? (I'd really love to chain my synths together though!)

Thanks in advance as always for any help!

Thread: DivKid Ochd

Received my Ochd this week .... 6 months after I placed my order... You can never ever have enough ... LFO's!

Hi Mowse,

Wow, this is seriously good and entertaining! So lovely to listen at it. I mean you already managed to provide us a quick demo the day after you received this module in the You section of this Forum, but this demo, that plays in a total different league!

Well done and I look forward in hearing more from you :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Doepfer A-132-4, A-132-2. The Malekko Quad VCA has some tandem CV functions. Mutable's Frames. Erica Black Quad VCA (with jumper adjustment). Bubblesound HexVCA (with jumper adjustment). Befaco Hexa VCA. Zlob VnIcursal VCA. Bastl Quattro Figaro (which actually gets more complicated than simply passing CV from one VCA to the next!) And I'm sure there's probably more, but that should be enough to start with.

If you can think of it, it exists somewhere...especially on Modulargrid.

Low-level night flight over the sea. Thanks for this journey!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).
https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major/tracks

howdy gridders and wigglers,
What are you thoughts and opinions on the LIP?

I've been planning on buying the Loquelic Iteritas for a while now but would I regret not getting the Percido version instead?

I really like the fact its a standalone voice now with the benefit of the envelopes and vca, not to mention more holes to patch in i could ever fill but it is more money and takes up more HP. Initially i was going to use the rest of that money towards a BIA since both modules take up the same hp as the LIP.

I'm really stuck on the fence here, on one hand with the LIP i get a deeper version of the voice that can also produce a lot of percussive sounds among all the laser farts or i can go with the LI/BIA route not having to worry about tying one module to one duty, i get the voice i wanted and some wicked percussion too.

Would love to hear your sage advice, keep on patching in the free world!
thanks!

Hi Aphew Goodman,

Wow, that's super cool! I love the percussions in this track, however beside your nice percussions, the other sounds, those make me smile and here and there I had to laugh :-) It doesn't happen many times that I have to laugh during listening music (which I do see positively) but you can make that happen! So many nice and happy sonic surprises in your music!

Well done and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks, Garfield! :))

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Nice work :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Really enjoying øchd for ambient, droning work. The slow ebb and flow of 8 independent LFO's is where it's at for me.

I've been unable to find any other dual or quad VCAs that have cascading CV inputs. NOT cascading audio input/Mixer, but when you put an envelope into the QVCA, it will envelope all unpatched VCAs below it.

Hey GarfieldModular,

thanks for your kind words :)! I really appreciate them!

My setup is pure modular and dawless. I record live into an AH QuPac. My setup contains of 360HP of various modules and an es techno system. There is some more on my SC, soundcloud.com/jingo-f

Best,
jingo

Hi Jingo,

Ha, ha, funny title "Fall Asleep", well I can assure you I did everything, listening carefully, felt interested, was amazed about certain sounds and rhythms you managed here but one thing I didn't... I didn't fall asleep for that your music is far too interesting and nice!

By the way, everything done by modular synths? The drums/percussions as well, or if not how did you managed that?

Well done and I look forward in hearing more from you, kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Igor,

Nice to hear from you again and this, I agree with Warren, is cool. Again a nice track to listen at :-)

I hope you will steady deliver us lovely tracks like this!

Thank you very much for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

Thanks for the valuable advice. This mixer seems to be the perfect solution for drums and/or synthesizer voices.

In the case of the PealPal FX module, I have a full effect peadalboard with good power from Strymon. I am currently using the Mooer Ocean Machine (2 x delay, 1 reverb + miniloper). I also have the effects of the Source Audio Sadnblox manta filter, orbital modulator and hot hand set - unfortunately I haven't tested it yet.
In addition, octaver, Dark Glass Bass Overdrive, Ravish Sitar EH and M5 line6. I just realized that with such a number of effects I have to buy another pedalpal module :)

When it comes to double uburst in my rack, explaination is very simply.
The first, white has the Kammerl Beat-Repeat firmware installed and is most often used as the last module for mixed drums. Kammerl Beat-Repeat adds a lot of organic, glitch and life to the final drum sound.
The second Uburst, black, has Parasite firmewaer uploaded and most often serves as a final effect for synthesizer voices.
The peadl pal module is final effect modul for other synthesizer voice or radio modular.

To add to this: I see this as a starting point and I fully intend to add more modules over time* once I've had time to play with it. I don't want to break the bank in my first purchase but instead buy enough now to get started, run into gaps and "I wish I could..." situations to inform future upgrades (which adds the benefit of being able to buy a little more here and there over time, reducing upfront cost).

*Reverb/delay, better it additional mixer, more options for randomness, more options for drums/samples, more vcas, filters, the possibilities are endless. I'll see what I actually find to be missing or compelling.

ModularGrid Rack
I am interested in moving into Eurorack and am looking for critical feedback on my setup design so far.

My Goals: I am a hobbyist with some experience with synthesis. My current gear includes Synthstrom Audible Deluge, PO-33, and a Keystep. I enjoy song-making but am self-taught and my efforts are not yet notable. I enjoy the spectrum of EDM and IDM. Sound design is where my interest in modular primarily comes from, and my thinking for now is to use the Deluge and/or PO-33 for drums, the Deluge for an additional option for sequencing, etc... BUT! I have been pretty inspired by Ricky Tinez's minimalist 62HP/4U setups, and would love to play with sound design, create a happy accident then add some drums and jam for a while. Ultimately I know I want rich sounds play with and good options to modify and shape and reshape the sounds.

I chose a larger case than I think I need (seems to be common feedback here) but am not attached to the case size. Someday I might make my own, but most likely will start off with either an Intellijel (I have a pared down version of the above that will fit into their 4U/62HP Palette (using nRings and a 1u Steppy instead of PNW and a couple other sacrifices) or more likely I will stick with this design and have found some cases on Etsy and/or something like the Dopefer A-100P6 or Erica Synths 6u (super open to case-recommendations if you have any).

Here's what I think I've collected.
* 2x VCOs (and I am pretty enamored with both the Rings and Loquelic)
* 2x Sequencers (I really like how the Mimetic can randomize to create new rhythmic textures; and Pamela's seems to be a versatile module with many applications) (note: the Deluge has 4x gate-out and 2x cv-out in addition to midi out/in)
* 4x Filters (2x Clep Diaz, Filthy LPF/HPF/BPF, and 0chd)
* 2x ADSR envelopes/VCAs
* 2x quantizers to keep the sounds in-scale (do i need these?)
* 1x 4-channel mixer with L/R out
* 1x USB/din Midi

Please offer opinions! I am new to this and my local synth-shop is not open to the public due to COVID. You are my only hope, modulargrid-won kenobi!

https://m.soundcloud.com/jingo-f/fall-asleep

thanks for listening

hi there
ive been having fun watching videos and learning recently, but i think i've hit a point where feedback would be useful
i dont have any of this so far, and i have a few questions.. hope this isn't frustrating for regular users. im not planning to build anything soon but i thought itd be good to hear others thoughts on what ive been picturing in my head
i'd like to build towards a 7u 104hp intellijel case, and i'd like to do it slowly. but i also wanted to have an idea in mind to work towards, and look forward to (obviously subject to change..)
i would be planning to sequence with a squarp pyramid hence the lack of sequencing in the case, and that would be the primary use of the fh-2. i haven't included something like Scales for that reason as well, but is that a mistake? most effects processing would be taking place externally but i thought between the disting and the springray id have some good options in the case as well.

ModularGrid Rack

i like the idea of having a complete voice to begin with and love the sound of the atlantis/sh-101.. the harmonic oscillator a totally different approach which appeals as well. id like to be working with interesting resonances, harmonics, textures and timbre in addition to conventionally melodic ideas, with the possibility to work with chords. the two filters seem very different and it seems like id get a lot out of the belgrad self oscillating. i thought i probably had noise source covered between the atlantis and the disting? rings is in the case primarily to work with external instrument signals
is there anything here that would be completely redundant? im wondering if maths, batumi and planar2 are all necessary, and i was wondering if id find it useful to have something like Mutamix in the case..
would it be more useful for me to have the synth voices and oscillators in the bottom row, and the utilities/function generators in the top by the 1u modules?

this user has left ModularGrid

Cool and soothing, as always!
As far, as I understand, you changed your mind about selling me Soma FX? :)

I'll try to see if we can get @modulargrid to make the Panel Selector option more apparent. It would solve a lot of issues I think if more people started using it.

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

I know how this works. But you're right, it may be irritating for other users. Especially those who don't know about the panel selector. Not really a problem, though. At least not as much as dozens of duplicates.

Use the Panel Selector feature.

Duplicating modules is something we should be avoiding not indulging. How many instances of Monsoon or Clouds are really needed? 15 Monsoons? Really? Would it hurt to use a different black/silver/white/xxx panel instead of the one you own? Can't you upload it in private if you really need yet another alternative? Do you really need anything more than the power specs for a module you have in private?

But doesn't that change the default image for everyone? While I wished people would stop adding separate "whatever panel" versions to the database, I'm not sure the current implementation is sufficient. Or am I missing something?
-- senor-bling

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

Having the same module 10+ times is more of a problem, so if you really have to choose, it's better to edit an existing version than adding yet another iteration of the same. Unless it's a different manufacturer (e.g. some of the clones have different manufacturers, meh), so pay attention.

At some point I'll merge most "Other / Unknown" duplicates into one and write "USE PANEL SELECTOR" in the description :)

Thread: Modcan A

Hello,
i'm looking for modcan A modules, if you want to get rid of few ones, please let me know
Best

Made a new sketch based on drones, pads and strings.
I continue to study delicate distortion of Soma Lyra8 FX module.
The solo string part is from Intellijel Plonk.
A significant role here plays pitch shifting from Happy Nerding FX Aid.
Better to listen with headphones at high volume.

Interesting thread!
And thanks to Chaos215bar2 (what a lovely name :) for having posted his comment and making rise the subject again.

'...I'll pause videos just to stop and work out what's going on (and look at what modules they're using), and videos with cables going offscreen the whole time are a big turn off for me...' (chaos215bar2).
Same method... and print screens, and notes :))

Ok, I need to think a bit before returning with something useful here... See you soon.

Too many people watching Youtube videos and liking the sounds that they are hearing but not doing enough research into HOW those sounds are actually being generated. There's such an unsexy side to Eurorack consisting of a lot of modules doing utility work so a few featured modules can do their thing. That's always glossed over in demos with those modules off screen or connected via a maze of patch cables. Anyone who's not familiar with the Eurorack ecosystem would just assume that the featured modules are all that's needed to get "that sound" as if each module was its own synthesizer rather than being a module.
-- Ronin1973

Just came across this thread, and wanted to throw a little encouragement all of your way.

1) The guide you're proposing sounds awesome.

2) I found the quote above kind of amusing. It's these flashy videos that got me interested, but more often than not, what's most interesting to me is everything else going on to drive the module they're showing off. I'll pause videos just to stop and work out what's going on (and look at what modules they're using), and videos with cables going offscreen the whole time are a big turn off for me.

Your audience is out there, even if they're not the ones making the most noise. (And just for the record, all my racks are purely conceptual at this point, even if I think a couple of them are pretty decent.)

Thanks for the help @defragmenteur and @lugia. It seems like this might not be an easy fix for my at my beginner stage. Ill look around the city to see if I can find some local help. Feel free to link me to some helpful youtube videos that might be able to walk me through the process.

Ambient has become such a wide concept nowadays... But the importance of space (by means of depth and panning) seems to remain quite constant. So, if this can help, two remarks:

Beyond uBurst/Clouds and some Disting algorithms (Btw I do approve Defragmenteur), it seems to lack of reverb/delay, or some more sophisticated fx here. Do you plan to use any pedals (blueSky, Afterneath, etc.) or other external fx?

How do you mix? External gear? Software? So about panning: same questions... But a little stereo mixer inside the rack (I personally use a Doepfer A-138s including for control signals) could be a convenient submixer in any way.

DO NOT attempt to align or scale a VCO without appropriate test gear! Sure, you might be able to get the VCO in the ballpark as far as tracking goes, but unless you have access to a multimeter and a frequency counter (or its software equivalent), you're likely to have a very frustrating experience. You'll first need to make sure that a 1V step actually IS 1V by finding an initial reference voltage, then going up an octave; never discount the possibility that the A-111-2 is actually RIGHT and that other things are the mistracking culprits...make sure of this before doing anything else.

For the money, my bet would be on the Takaab 2Multi. $34-ish, dual 1-in/3-out. These are simple circuits, no need to pay a premium for them.

However, keep in mind that unless you're trying to feed a single CV to more than 3 or 4 modules, which has the potential to cause voltage sag and detuning, you can make do with a regular passive mult. Buffered mults are for correcting that sag issue when you're trying to get several VCOs, VCFs, etc under that single CV control, but if that's not an issue, they're just spendy.

Also, if the above is the case AND you're doing a smaller-sized build, you should probably avoid mults that take up panel space altogether, and use inline mults, stackcables, etc. In builds that range from 2 x 104hp and smaller, your panel space is better used for actual functions; anything you can remove from that will open up space for more active modules.

Yeah, well, that's all Mults, not just buffered.

The best value is probably the Intellijel Buff Mult 1U. But, like it says, you need a 1U row for that.
The Doepfer buffered mults are rather cheap, but occupy 4HP. Erica Synths have a Pico 3HP one. Personally, I think in 3U land, a buffered mult really shouldn't be more than 2HP wide. So the cheapest option there is DIY. If that's for you, check out a DIY store in your country and build yourself one. That's the best value. Other than that, maybe go with Malekko or Intellijel.

:-)

Glad to hear that you managed to get one of your dreams come through and can work on the next one on your list, well done!

Thread: New Thing

Hi Farkas,

He, he, nice effects and funny video, very creative!

Ha, ha, after thousand years or so people find this back on an electronic scrapyard and they feel by then pity there is so less left of the video material; not knowing you did this on purpose ;-)

Looking forward to your next creativity! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Broken-Form,

You can find all that information on this ModularGrid.net website :-)

Go to Modules site then at function select Multiple and below click on Price to have it sorted by price :-) Or to make it even easier, here the below link should do all that already:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=&SearchFunction=14&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=&SearchTe=&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=price&direction=desc

383 of them, so still a bit to search for :-) Putting a filter on a few of your favourite brands or HP width should narrow down that a bit.

Good luck with the multiples and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

@damir501 sold me a broken module then refused to give me a refund or even look at a video of the fault.

im looking for 1 maybe 2 buffered mult modules.whats the best value for money out there??

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Thank you very much, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it! Not sure I'll go through the mixing and matering process again given the cost, but it was so worth it to do it at least once. I can now cross this off my bucket list.

I can't recommend Hugo Paris for mixing enough, and of course, Nathan Moody at Obsidian Sound for mastering.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Adjustment procedure can be found in the technical manual. Can be intimidating if you never done that before so maybe someone who build modules in your area can calibrate it for you.

Thank you, GarfieldModular. I appreciate you taking the time to give some solid advice. I will be checking back in soon...

Hey! Quick question. I am having trouble matching my pitch of my A-111-2 VCO to other oscillators that I have. I am using a Beats Step Pro to sequence it, and it is not follow pitch very well! Does anyone have any advice for me getting the pitch to follow a typical 1V/oct? My Rings Modular follows the Beats Step Pro fine, so I know the problem lies with the A-111-2 VCO. I am going straight from BSP to the VCO to out. Tested with different VCOs and only this one has the problem.

Thread: New Thing

Some abrasive improvised modular drums with an accompanying analog glitch video I put together today. Should have mixed the bass a little higher, but whatever... It was recorded on the fly.

Hi Aphew Goodman,

Wow, that's super cool! I love the percussions in this track, however beside your nice percussions, the other sounds, those make me smile and here and there I had to laugh :-) It doesn't happen many times that I have to laugh during listening music (which I do see positively) but you can make that happen! So many nice and happy sonic surprises in your music!

Well done and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Patch cables

@lugia thanks for your response. Good to know you are sticking with Hosa.

www.synthtalk.net

Thread: fun stuff :)

Hi Sunchylde,

Holy smoke! You got tons of albums already released with fantastic music! I am listening now at your Modular Synth Jams, lovely music. The next time when you do a concert please let me know, if I can make it, I will try to be there. Not a promise but I will give it a try.

Thanks a lot for sharing that link on bandcamp! Kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Patch cables

Hi Lugia,

Since you took care of your speaker cables, I am already less worried :-)

And of course spending hundreds or thousands for cables or certain equipment but still having somewhere a "weak" device in the loop, then that doesn't make sense indeed. But something tells me that you took care of that too ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Frenchili,

You are welcome.

It's difficult to advice you on "is it not worth it to expand on the o-coast"... For one, I don't know you well enough and your current setup though you gave me already a good idea of it, on the other hand... of course Eurorack is a lot of fun but before the fun comes you need to really go deep into it with reading, checking, investigating the pros and cons, just a lot of home work to do. Since you actually already got such a nice equipment, is that really want you need and/or want? I think you should ask yourself that very honestly.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't want you to move away from Eurorack but with your current nice setup you really need to be sure that you want to go into Eurorack because it just doesn't come cheap and I don't want that you spent several thousands on Eurorack and after a year or so being frustrated with what it provided you. It might not go that way, you might love it like hell like I do. So there is, to copy someone's phrase here, no right or no wrong, either way will work out.

I don't know how good you know the Zoia already? With the Zoia you can do a lot what you can do in Eurorack as well but in a much smaller device, much, much cheaper than Eurorack. So why not diving a bit deeper in Zoia first (in case you haven't yet) and then ask yourself again: "Okay I love the Zoia, I like what I can do with it but here and there it might have limitations, so am I now ready for Eurorack?" And if then the answer is yes, yeah go for it :-)

Sorry, can't advice you much here, you need to figure that out for yourself and answer yourself that question.

Above all, take your sweet time for that, don't force yourself, at the end the most important part is that we enjoy it :-)

Good luck with the decision and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jeff,

Yeah fully understand your point 1 now. Point 2, yes, control centre might be still right here and indeed the MiniBrute 2S can be used for that. Point 3, ok, understood; as well as point 4.

Okay fair enough, you use the MiniBrute 2S in a way I used the Neutron (from Behringer) and it's similar like your situation that it has 2 VCOs, a filter, 2 EGs and (only) 1 LFO but please keep in mind that once you go for your Eurorack that you usually not using everything from that Hybrid Modular system (i.e. your MiniBrute or mine Neutron). I still use once and a while the LFO and the two VCOs, but that's usually it.

So your plan is clearer now and from that point of view it's okay. I still do think that 2 * 88 - 5 HP = 171 HP in total is going to be a bit too less on the medium/long run, on the other hand I have seen a beautiful setup here who does the same as you the Minibrute connected to an empty rack of Aturia. It goes quite nice together indeed and it looks pretty nice, so from that point totally understood. But please don't be surprised that after a year or so you will start considering a second rack ;-)

Still my advice stands to not buy everything in one go, instead do it step by step, a few modules in one-go as a maximum, get some experience and understand the modules you bought and then add some more, etcetera.

Yeah go for it, have fun with it and if you have particular questions about modules or other stuff just shout.

Good luck, Garfield.

Edit: removed typo.