Drums by Disting Ex (SD Multisample algo.), wailing synth by Mangrove. Also starring were: Rossum Morpheus, Divkid-Instruo ochd, Instruo Céis, Mimeophon, Erbe-Verb, Pam's NWO, o_C, Wogglebug, Maths...

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Hi Garfield !

Thank you very much for your honest opinion and for the advises !

So if I understood you correctly you think it is not worth it to expand on the 0-coast ? Of course I want to go full modular at some point and get a nice case with VCOs, VCAs, etc. but as you said I would like to start simple. That's why I thought adding some extra functions to the 0-coast like an additional voice such as plaits that I could mix into the balance section of the 0-coast or getting stages for modulations could be a nice introduction and learning experience.

Thank you very much for your insights.

Thread: fun stuff :)

Yes, it's rather old school indeed ;) The early Jarre is a big number in my books for sure...

If you want here's a lot more on my bandcamp: https://suryakrispeters.bandcamp.com

There's one modular EP for free DL (or donation). More in the future ...

Cheers :)

Absolutely spot on!!! I had it hooked up like this initially, but hadn't heard the envelope properly as I had it too open! Thanks again!

The CV Ins on the TQ is the Level input of each channel.

Gate goes to ADSR Gate Input,
ADSR Env out goes to TQ Level of ChX
Audio Goes to TQ In of ChX
ChX (or Mix) Out is the result

Hey folks,

I am trying to create a simple synth voice...I have these modules sitting in a Niftycase with a Din Sync RE303 sending MIDI (which the Nifty converts to CV and gate), while I can play notes no problem, I just cannot get the ADSR to work...I am assuming the Tangle Quartet is the issue as it does not have a CV in?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_401192.jpg

Any assistance greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Stewart.

Thanks for replying (and the welcome), GarfieldModular - I really do appreciate it.

A few things:
1. The Minibrute would be in it's original case with the RackBrute 6u attached. That is just for display purposes.
2. What I mean by control center is keyboard and sequencer - maybe control center isn't the right word.
3. The RackBrute is 88hp, though one row needs a 5 hp power unit leaving 83 hp in that row...
4. I agree about the oscilloscope (and speaker). While they are somewhat important to my final vision, space will be too high of a commodity with only 6u.

What I like about the MiniBrute is that for $450, it gives me not only a nice sequencer and a mediocre keyboard, but also 2 vco's, a vcf, 2 EGs (AD & ADSR), and 2 LFOs. I also like that it is attached to the 6u system so it's one cohesive unit.
I think my new plan is to start with this set-up (MiniBrute 2s attached to RackBrute 6U with shuttle system), but to be prepared down the road to expand to two 6u Rack brutes for a total of 12u (that attach together) (342 hp after power units). What do you think of that plan?

Hi Baltergeist,

That's great, one complete album! The Tides you let us start with is a nice kind of ambient track I like but then I peak at Automata and what you deliver there is one big impressive piece of music, wow! I like that song the most I think.

Calling is pretty nice too, I like the effects there. Having said that, Cuttlefish is for me the track with the most pleasant and interesting sound surprises and you finishing off the album with the more experimental Rounding a Digital Cape.

Nice work you got there! I look forward in hearing more from you and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Sunchylde,

Wow, this is some serious fantastic stuff! It's so nice :-)

At the beginning I heard some JM Jarre stuff then you moved over to Tangerine Dream kind of sequencing stuff and at the end I had a bit of a Klaus Schulze feeling, all my favourites :-)

I could easily listen to many more of such material, so keep it coming and thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh, that's a beautiful demo! Thank you very much for that, so nice to hear the 103 in action here!

Now you have played a few times with the 103, do you miss those CV inputs (hence 104) or are you happy with your choice because of the easier user interface?

I look forward in hearing your next demo :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For me it's a test function module. If the function is cool I will buy a dedicated module. Actually its' my tuner.

Great, thank you for the advice.
This module is like a Swiss army knife.
I guess I'll buy a two or double version.
I suspect you can build the whole setup only with these modules.

Hi Mowse,

Yeah, that's good, that's nice :-)

I don't get it... when I receive a new module I read the manual first, one day gone ;-) Then try to install it in the rack another day gone because I blow the fuse because the red strip was connected wrong, so the next days I spend on buying a new rack and new modules that I manage to blow up. Then after perhaps a month or so, I would be happy if I get one tone out of a new module...
Okay, I am overdoing this here "a little bit" ;-) But you get the point I guess.

But you? You get the module the evening before and the next day you got already a video with a fantastic sound ready for us! That's great! I am just jealous ;-)

Keep up the nice demos and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Patch cables

Hi Lugia,

I don't know the brands Mogami and Gotham Audio stuff but if you take for example Audio Quest and you go to a HiFi shop and ask them to demo the cheapest audio cable of Audio Quest for you and the most expensive one of also Audio Quest; perhaps add a mid range cable from the same brand too. Just to get an idea of the difference between them then you seriously wouldn't believe your ears. I just recently (Autumn 2019) heard a demo for power cables for audio devices, not even the usual audio speaker cables, no just the power cables, just the standard strip that's packed with the device (amplifier for example) and the top line of Audio Quest (I think that cable costed Euro 60+k for just one cable! I know totally ridiculous) and a few of their (Audio Quest) mid line cables.

The funny thing was when they started to demo with the cheapest cable and after that the next (low) range power cable, you didn't hear much of a difference and you thought: "What a nonsense, I don't hear much difference and pay a few hundred for just a cable?" BS (bullshit)! Same for that next level from low level to medium level cable (around thousand plus), still didn't hear much difference and people started to walk away because they felt that was so much BS they couldn't believe it. I decide to stay a bit longer and took one of the places in the middle of the stereo spot where just a few people left (because where I stand before wasn't very good but the room was full, the demo's of that person are well known here in Germany from Stereo magazine). Then up to the top level cable, yes you could here a bit but of course that's not worth that 60k.

But now it comes... then they went back from the 60k cable to that "cheap" included cable that came with the device, suddenly the difference was so huge, you had to puke to listen to that standard cable. Technically almost can't be explained but there can be a huge difference. That 60k cable was a kind of fun but of course not realistic for most of the people so they went back to a mid range cable and then back to the standard cable and going back in quality you can hear the difference much better than the other way round.

Hence the same for audio cables.

The problem is that like me, you and billions of other people, you just don't want to believe it, it's technically difficult to explain (well one of the explanations is the copper quality, it's close to 100% copper that is ridiculous expensive and the insulation is complicated and expensive too) and you just can't understand it. But please do yourself a favour and go to a HiFi shop and ask for a Audio Quest cable demo (or any audio top brand but Audio Quest most HiFi shops have) and after that, I am sure, you will update your above comment :-) No, please don't be stubborn, just go to a HiFi shop and follow a demo ;-)

But for your wallet it's better to keep believing this is all BS and don't do that demo, because once you have heard that it can be better, you also want that few hundred or few thousands cable and you are seriously thinking of selling your house... so... yeah better don't do that demo ;-) It's better for your wallet!

But of course for a patch cable that's not all worth it, I agree. However for your speaker cables you might want to check this out.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Buy a disting. It can do side chain compression, envelope follower and 88 more functions. It's a must have if you want to test different functions before buying dedicated modules.

Side chain compression

Envelope follower

I was thinking about the compression module with the sidechain option.
I also miss envelop follower, it's probably useful with drums.
Probably also maths but as I said I am at the beginning of the road in the modular world

Here is new screen shot with updated modules
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1247083.jpg
^
|
|
|
SCREEN UPDATED

Hi Frenchili,

If you are in "My Modular" in the rack that you want to share with us, copy the URL of that rack you are editing in My Modular, paste that URL in a link here in a post, that should work. With preview option (before you submit your post) you can check if it works.

Since you are in "My Modular" anyway, you can directly delete this rack ;-) Sorry for being so frank but that's far too small.

Yes you got already the 0-coast, Zoia and the Octatrack, a fantastic combination by the way, I know already someone who got this and you almost have everything already, perhaps an additional 0-cntrl and then you actually not really need any more a Eurorack... :-)

But if you want to go into Eurorack, even if you have already the above, then do it at least good and take at least a 3 times 84 HP rack or that Intellijel 7U rack (2 times 3U and one 1U row; each 104 HP). Consider a classic setup of at least 2 VCOs, EGs + LFOs, 2 filters, 2 VCAs to get started. Don't forget at least one mixer and an audio input/output module (can take the 1U for that). Leave some space free (half till at least one third) for future extensions/modules because you are going to need it if you are really going seriously into Eurorack.

Effects modules and sequencer you can use your current setup for that first so you can wait with those modules, get the basics right first, play around with it. Missing functionality you can do that (temporarily) with the Zoia till you know what module you want and then add such module but take it easy and slowly; start simple first and build up some experience is my advice.

Good luck, have fun with Eurorack if you decide to go that road and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Edit: removed typo.

What do you think is missing actually?

Hi Bananagab,

Why you don't buy a Neutron next to the Model D and these two together with your computer? Might be good enough? It saves you a lot of money and efforts for Eurorack "trouble" :-)

Or if you "insist" :-) going for Eurorack, consider a bit the classical setup of VCOs, LFOs, EGs, filters and VCAs, at the very least. Here and there I see you got something already but getting at least each two of them would give you a bit more variation that you might need on the longer run.

Consider a bigger rack too and remove the Model D (and keep that in it's original housing) to save on space. You will need the additional space!

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Jeff,

Not sure what you exactly mean (and think what you want to do) with the Arturia Minibrute 2s as a control centre for your Eurorack? Personally I would rather use the Eurorack itself as being the "control centre", but that might be just me.

I am also not so sure if the combination of the Shuttle System of Endorphin.es and the Arturia Minibrute 2s is such a good idea? I am not convinced about it, which doesn't mean it wouldn't work together, I do think it does... it's just the combination of these two that puzzles me a bit. I would go for either one of them first, get some experience with the rack and then consider if you still want to add the other.

I think I only would go for just one of them and then focus a bit more on classic but single components like VCOs, filters, LFOs, EGs, VCAs and that kind of stuff.

You also can keep the Minibrute 2s in it's original casing. Just had a look at it, are you sure you want to put that top part of the Minibrute 2s in a Eurorack or is it just here for display purposes? In the latter case, 2 rows of... 88 HP(?, does a 88 HP case exist?) is too less, I would recommend to start at least with 3 rows.

The oscilloscope is definitely a nice module but for such a small rack I wonder if you should wait with it till you buy your second rack to give some space for more essential modules.

Good luck with the planning, welcome into modular synthesizers and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Still looking good there! As long as you maintain that "zoned" aspect to the rig, it'll keep a lot of "build discipline" in place. It's definitely the right way to build!

What does everyone think of Hosa patch cables?
-- SynthTalk

I have a huge amount of Hosa cables in my studio. As in most of the snakes, a bunch of the 1/4" patchcables, and so on. And while I keep getting pushed toward expensive AF Mogami and Gotham Audio stuff, I stick with Hosa. I've never noticed any sonic issues that would lead me to believe that they're inferior...but then, I think the "exotic gluten-free artisanal pure praesodymium with static-free hi-capacitance silk manufactured in low-G ISO5 clean containment" nonsense in cables is...well, nonsense. At audio frequencies, wire is wire. And while there ARE some differences, these really only manifest at RF frequencies, from my experience. Like, over 30 MHz frequencies...that sort of thing.

Now, one point where they're not 100% is in shielding. But this really only emerges as a problem in high-noise environments, like if your studio is located a few hundred yards from a 10 kW broadcast transmitter. Most ambient "electronic smog" issues encountered by the average user don't rise to that level of induced signal on a cable, and certainly not on a patchcable.

Hi Mowse,

Wow, you got yourself a nice rack there! :-)

The bottom row are presented by the "strong boys" (VCOs), looks pretty serious ;-) Are you happy with the Odessa module from Xaoc Devices? Is it worth the investment?

Looks like you are pretty much fan of Mutable Instruments :-D

Enjoy your new rack layout and kind regards, Garfield.

Thank you for feedback and advice.
This case is not a virtual project on a modular grid. This is the current state of my setup.
I forgot to add that I still have two semi-modular synthesizers: Behringer Neutron and 0coast. I updated the project with missing semi-modules and added the necessary utility modules
I planned to add another filter, LFO and MI warps.
Thank you for the advice and comments regarding the necessary utility module.
Do I miss other important modules in the system?

What does everyone think of Hosa patch cables? In my experience, they seem to be great quality for the price but I'd like to hear opinions. I'm experimenting with selling a box of accessories and have gone with Hosa for the first rev. Where do you rank Hosa patch cables in the market? https://www.synthtalk.net/shop/modular-box

www.synthtalk.net

Bought a Pittsburgh Modular - Lifeforms Primary Oscillator from @dombles, fast dispatch, module is in perfect condition. Many thanks

Bought a Phonogene from @goutemouassa, fast dispatch, module is in good condition. Many thanks

Bought a BLCK_NOIR from @fumarole, dispatch within one week, module is in perfect condition. Many thanks

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1246542.jpg?1592649531

Hi everybody ! (I am sorry I don't know how to insert the image of the rack you have the link above)

I am currently using the 0-coast as a bass sound in a setup with the octatrack and my guitar. The octatrack is controlling the 0-coast via midi and I run then the output of the 0-coast to my zoia pedal for effects.

So far I really like the sound I get but I have to sample them in order to play live and it is a shame because I really like the feeling of playing it live.

Therefore I was thinking expanding it with a 4u - 64 hp intellijel case with Polyend as a preset to be able to use it live and to get a "controlled" modular system. I also like to add a second voice for a bit more texture and plaits sounds great IMO. I also added a stages module. For the 1U, I thought a clock generator, the duatt and the FSR could be usefull utilities.

I am left with 18 hp in 1U and 16hp in 3U.

Would you have any recommendations for the remaining modules? Should I replace some of the modules ? I don't need any effects as it is taken care of with the zoia pedal.

Thank you very much in advance !

I do use a lot of BlackMarket cables: inexpensive, wide range of colors, easy to plug, never had a problem.
On the other hand Tiptop stackables: great quality, some helpful long length (up to 350cm), but regularly a bit hard to plug/unplug.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).
https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major/tracks

Sure...you're missing a lot of modules that you can easily work with in amongst a thicket of patchcords.

Yeah, you can build a system out of narrow modules, but the minute you try to use this live (unless you have fingers the diameter of toothpicks), you're going to find yourself getting VERY frustrated. Which gets to the principle of "start with a case that's too large" when building on MG; don't try and begin with a tiny case and then expect that to be capable of being filled with every necessary module. This is what results.

Trash this. Start over with a MUCH larger generic cab...then work backwards. Populate that with larger versions (when possible) of what you see here, then start scaling things down to a point where it's becoming obvious that the ergonomics of the build are starting to suffer. Also, be VERY careful to make sure and include necessary utility modules such as attenuverters, etc because those are what make the snazzier modules capable of doing things to their max potential. Thus far, you've done that here, but you need to be asking "are these going to see a lot of action?"...and if the answer is "yes", then don't have those controls on a 3 hp panel.

Thanks for sharing @baltergeist, looking forward to giving it a listen.

Handmade replica of classic Moog's filter, enjoy:

Hi,
I'm trying to slowly build a modular system to help with my Sound Design venture. I'm looking to generate sound and modify foley type sounds from my computer with the modular.

I already have the Model D, hence it is there.

Any tips and suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all, my album Tides is now available. Thanks for checking it out!

http://baltergeist.bandcamp.com/album/tides

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Hi, it's been a while :) I finished my new setup, but am still waiting for new patch cables, so a little VCV wouldn't hurt ;) ... sometimes I also prefer the lesser harsh digital sounds.

I am new in the world of eurorack and I wanted to ask if I still miss some modules?
I am open for advice and suggestions.

@baltergeist
You're right. We have to be both. And I must admit that the concluding question was a bit provocative.
As if I'd stopped playing in the middle of the field, asking 'Hey! What the mess, where is the goal?' And beyond: 'What's our craft? What are we living for? Music, sounds or instruments and techniques?'

Modulargrid and the module I will order next month (an ADDAC 207) are surely amazing tools. But this thread was done to evoke the reasons for our common passion: our common interest for the chairs, not the planers.

Music lovers: we all know it's tough to talk about love sometimes :)
So, thanks for your remark, baltergeist.

@Lugia
George Szell, the Cleveland Orchestra and Rudolf Serkin in the Brahm's 1st Piano Concerto... Oh bliss!
Sincerely pleased to discuss with a connoisseur of classical music and a true modular expert at the same time.

'...such a musically-rich period...'
Same opinion, but with a little shade: I tend to compare the current period with the Middle-Ages followed by the Renaissance: development of polyphony, beginning of modern music notation, plethora of instruments, and a QUEST FOR A NEW WORLD...

'...most music we hear now technically IS "electronic" by default...'
I totally agree with you. And it's a too neglected observation. Many musical genres are indebted to the invention of 'Recording'. Jazz music is partly a children of this decisive technical turning point. And Sergent Pepper himself said that he still confirms this point of view :)

Modularists benefit from the same intake.
We are the Modularists Lonely Hearts Club Band, looking for Lucy...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).
https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major/tracks

Its a Slippery slope!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

@troux My thinking is now.... 'Everything is too small or My fingers are too fat' I am trying to keep things compact. Though seeing as I'm on my 3rd Row of 84hp and my Wishlist of modules is about another 3 rows... I'm not sure how compact it will eventually be! Ha!

Optimizing rack space will save us money... At first we all thought it make sense...

Nice one wishbone, digging the melodies a few minutes in a lot

Greetings. This is my first post.

First, my Eurorack vision is to make a complete instrument. I'm looking to create a Eurorack version somewhere between a Buchla easel and Reason's Complex-1. Here's what I was thinking:

ModularGrid Rack

The only thing I'm 100% committed to is the Endorphin.es Shuttle System (I already [just] bought it - and love it). Right now, using shuttle control, I can add 16 LFOs/envelopes/sequences using Bitwig, but again, my vision is a complete instrument.

I was thinking an Arturia Minibrute might be a good control center as it has that button keyboard, a good sequencer (from what I hear), and an extra oscillator and envelope and lfo. Also, it seems to be reasonably priced. Alternatives would be a Eurorack sequencer like Rene or Ground Control or whatever...

My questions are:
1. Do you recommend an Arturia Minibrute 2s (with 6U case) as a control center for this Eurorack? Pros and cons?
2. What modules do you think would compliment the shuttle system/minbrute 2s combination. I would like an oscilloscope and a speaker (if possible, but those do seem hard to find)... edit: This second row likely won't come for a while...

Thank you so much. I'm excited for this journey...

Jeff B

Thanks for any advice.

@troux My thinking is now.... 'Everything is too small or My fingers are too fat' I am trying to keep things compact. Though seeing as I'm on my 3rd Row of 84hp and my Wishlist of modules is about another 3 rows... I'm not sure how compact it will eventually be! Ha!

Here's the latest ambient track/loop/thing now with added ADDAC103, this is how I want to use it for little clicky blippy stuff, though you do get a nice Kick drum out of it too to annoy the wife with ;-) I need to restrain Ochd, so some bits are going through the AT-AT-AT to tame them down a bit, I probably need to look at getting a Passive Half/Full wave rectifier too.

Cheers

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Really nice :)

Very good stuff @baltergeist, I especially like fly and grace, a wide range there.

Received DivKid's øchd earlier this week. Spent the evening patching, learning and wandering into this little drone with a simple sequence dropped in. Trident, Telharmonic, DPO, tiny bit of reverb by Clouds, additional space created with Mimeophon. All modulation performed by øchd.

What I'd like to see most is a button above (info) when you hover over a module which is 'manual'. It links to all manuals. This would be a massive time saver as I could just go to my setup and instantly find the manual rather than having to search.

Is modularist community overwhelmingly a nation of music lovers or technicians?
-- Sweelinck

Yes, absolutely.

These days, music and technology are so intertwined that you can't exactly separate them. See that drum circle over there? OK...now, what they're doing might SEEM like getting back in touch with primitive whatever blahblah, but if you look at what they're playing, you start seeing synthetic drumheads, devices that (these days) are carefully researched to create the optimal thudding noises everyone likes (OR NOT!!!) in commercials for SUVs to get numnutz consumers to pay attention and fork out for something they don't need, etc. And if you RECORD that drum circle...well, then you're up to your chin in tech all of a sudden!

Conversely, if we didn't have that tech, we wouldn't be in such a musically-rich period right now. Not only does the presence of cheap and easily-available technology propel the creation of new music, it ALSO allows for everyone to be able to access musical styles, cultures, and periods that...prior to the emergence of proper electronic recording technology in the mid-1920s...would've been lost to time. Consider: there's long been arguments of how early music is supposed to be performed. But there are ZERO arguments of how, say, Stravinsky's music is supposed to be performed, because you had the tech to record how Stravinsky actually wanted it across several decades of his life.

Also, most music we hear now technically IS "electronic" by default. One of the original criteria for electronic music was that it could only be heard with loudspeakers. But then, what do you make of a recording of the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by George Szell? For one thing, Szell's death in 1970 pretty much assures that ONLY recordings of his performances now exist; I don't see any concert announcements that read "MAESTRO SZELL RETURNS FROM THE GRAVE!!! ONE NIGHT ONLY!!!" Secondly, the confluence of players in the orchestra, the hall used for the sessions, etc etc also implies a non-reproduceable live performance situation. So...you're stuck with what's coming out of the speakers, and arguably, that makes it fit that criteria. Plus, should you so desire, you can take those Szell recordings (with a dubious degree of legality) and repurpose them in the same DAW that takes in those raw synth waveforms and does...well, much the same thing there, too.

Nice, I'll give em a listen!

I sold my Marbles a little while ago and, as is often the case, am feeling some remorse. Looking to save both money and space, I'm considering a clone. Does anyone have thoughts on Pachinko vs Cara micro vs the other cloes out there? I'm assuming functionality is identical and the differences have more to do with ergonomics/layout/aesthetics. Thanks!

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.