I'm enjoying this. It's sparse and quiet in the best possible way. Great job.

Marbles looks so fun. The ergonomics are much better than the 2hp stuff, I'm sure.
I tend to sell things off pretty quick when I'm not using them, or when I add a module that does a specific function "better". For the most part I don't have any regrets (though I kinda miss the Schlappi Interstellar Radio). I'm actually considering parting with Maths since I've added more specialized, though less flexible, modules.
Can't wait to hear your Marbles in action.

I was listening through headphones because my wife is sleeping, but found myself strangely compelled to crank up #3 on the stereo. I don't want to incur her wrath this early in the morning, so I will revisit that one later today. Haha. Sounds great, man.
Also, that overdrive on #2 is gnarly! I love the balance between the distorted line and the cleaner line. How did you achieve that?
Awesome work as always @troux.

Thank you Garfield. The AJH MiniMod has a little magic in it. :)

Awesome. Will check this out tomorrow morning.

Thanks @troux. If I were to do it again, I would have spiced up the drums, but I was grooving on the simplicity at the time.

Here's a little live lo-fi trip-hop jam I put together this morning featuring some glitch vocals from my friend Elizabeth in Leipzig, Germany. I'm in the U.S., so this is as close as we could get to a trans-Atlantic partnership in the time of COVID.
AJH MiniMod - bass
Plaits - Chord stuff
Blck_Noir and Buck Modular DrumF*ck - drums
Sample Drum - glitchy vocals
As always, thank you for offering a few minutes of your time. Hope someone might enjoy.
https://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/presentation-3-invert

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Coincidentally, I just saw that Michigan Synth Works released an updated Pique and expander for CV to each parameter of the ADSR (plus many other functions) in 6hp total.

Yes, if you click on the picture of Lugia’s rack, you should be able to select edit/duplicate rack in the top left of your screen.

I would highly recommend QPAS. It’s really just an unbelievable filter. The stereo applications seem tailor made for your purposes.

Absolutely! Why, when I moved into this house in 2012, I had an upstairs room that was 17 x 24. And now it's full of gear. Should've started with a larger studio...

-- Lugia

Yeah, much to my wife's dismay, my record collection has its own bedroom. I may have mentioned before that I sold off all my old synths and gear many years back. I was paralyzed by options and just gave up. Modular brought me back to the dark side.

The Bastl Grandpa granular sampler and Spa expander are an interesting, quirky, 10hp, lo-fi combo. I've been eyeing it for a while myself. Seems like a deceptively powerful texture generator.

Oh, wow. I'm listening now. The progression and development of this one is fantastic.
Great job!

Yes, the question of cable management has to be front of mind! In fact, that's a big reason that I felt the need to rearrange everything. It wasn't so annoying when I was just tinkering around, but as I develop a more performance-oriented approach, I found that the typical signal flow layout made less sense to me. Thanks for bringing this up, the-erc.

Welcome Wonderof42!
If you are concerned about wasting money, do NOT put the Neutron and Subharmonicon in a eurorack case. They already have cases and power supplies attached. Don't pay extra to rack them twice. They are SEMI-modular synths, that will be fun to integrate with the rack, but it's definitely a waste of money and space to rack them twice. They're still portable and easy to incorporate as-is.
What kind of music are you making?

Thoughtful responses senor-bling, Lugia, troux, and GarfieldModular. As often as we recommend that beginners start with a bigger rack, that same advice applies to those of us with larger setups. I definitely wish I had invested considerably more in extra rack space to begin with, even though my original plan was fairly large. When I was first starting to build my modular, I didn't like seeing empty space between the modules. Unfortunately that led to a few impulse purchases that didn't work out for me. As we all know, impulse eurorack purchases can be expensive and a waste of time (I'm looking at you, Loquelic Iteritas Percido...). I probably should have invested in more empty rack space instead of more modules.
As far as mission-specific rack builds, I have thought about putting together a 104hp live skiff (inspired by @troux). That would be a fun and difficult exercise. I've also considered a small skiff of modules that I want to spend more time learning. For instance, I have kept Phonogene and Clouds in my rack because I see their value, but I rarely patch anything into them and haven't discovered their subtleties yet.
I remember Mowse's excellent layout post. Great advice on module grouping. As the rack continues to grow, it will be important to keep those grouping and signal-flow ideas in mind in the planning stages, while still taking into account our personal preferences and evolving music and individual workflows.
Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the responses. I can't remember seeing a thread specifically about module arrangement and maintenance, so I figured it might be a good discussion/thought exercise. This is a craft that revolves around long term gear acquisition in a way, and with that comes some occasional headaches.
Lugia, that's definitely similar to the signal/work flow idea I initially started with (and looks like a fun rack). Now that I've expanded to near my limit, added a few hardware pieces, and developed my personal preferences, I had to upset the apple cart. Spent all afternoon re-racking everything (God bless threaded rails, and screw some sliding nuts. Ugh!) after realizing that I preferred some modules in close reach regardless of how illogical their placement might seem to someone else. I'm thinking the new layout should keep me focused on creativity for a while. I may add a Low Gain Short Bus and a Knob Farm Ooots eventually, but I can't think of anything else I need to add for a while.
Would love to hear anyone else's approach to this minor tedious aspect of modular.

Just noticed that it has been exactly one year to the day since I ordered my first modules. However mediocre and intolerable the sonic outcome of my creative endeavors, the fun, creativity, process, and community has made the last year a great experience, all things considered. :)
In the time since, I've put together a pretty nice instrument for myself. Adding cases and modules regularly to fill needs and wants, plugging holes in my racks, adding additional functionality, etc. I've tried to adjust the layout a bit at a time to accommodate new acquisitions, but the time has come to rearrange just about everything. I'm learning my own work and signal flow preferences, and trying to incorporate a more "performance oriented" layout.
Just curious how often you all rearrange your racks, if at all? At some point, a studio rack sort of takes on a life of its own. Do you all consistently rearrange modules to maintain your evolving workflow, or have you stopped trying to contain the beast? I'd much rather be experimenting and making some noise than unscrewing modules, so it would be cool to hear any insight into how you all approach this side of modular.
Thanks, and have a great day.

*Edit: Additional question, I have always started with a completely un-patched blank slate every day, but I'm moving towards leaving some module combos consistently patched. How often do you completely pull every patch cable and start over? What module combos do you leave plugged in long term?

Yes, Disting is one of the best bang-for-the-buck utilities in the modular world. It can do everything, though only one function at a time, to help you decide when you it's time to invest in a dedicated module to perform a specific function. I bought one early on as I was building my rack, and it helped me fill in what I was missing. Now I mainly use it as a tuner, but every now and then I will dial in one of the other algorithms.
Have fun and good luck.

Thread: Latest Track

Beautiful!
Well done @mog00.

Well, the uO_C has analog shift register, chord sequencing, quantizing, envelopes, and more in a very small package so you would need to substitute a large range of modules to do what it does. The only problem is that it requires patience and is not so quick and easy to use. You really need to spend time getting to know it. For something more immediate, Marbles may be fun but much more limited.

I would definitely look into more modulation sources and utilities. How about something like Ochd, Mixwitch, and Pico RND? Or maybe a uO_C and Disting MkIV if you don't mind menu-diving?

As long as the VCA fully closes, you should be able to do what you want to do. There are small mute modules that may make this task simpler, but you can modulate VCAs for more interesting patches. Check out this video from mylarmelodies for some VCA ideas.

@troux This may be worth a look for you.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-infusor-x

Garfield, Sisters of Mercy might be it. It definitely reminded me of something from the early industrial, post-punk, or goth era. Good ear.

Welcome brunomolteni!
This is awesome. You have a great handle on melody and song development. Your song reminds me of something from the late 70s or early 80s but I can't quite put my finger on which artist. Keep up the great work.

Thread: Patch help

@Lugia, I'm listening to "Beneath Puget" now. This totally captures the atmosphere of the PNW. Excellent work.
I also see that one of your recommended albums on Bandcamp is "Black One" by Sunn 0))). Underrated album! I love "Kannon" as well.

Thread: Chainsaw jam

LOL... I forgot about Jackyl.

Thanks gang! I enjoyed making it.
@troux, Yes, this was played and mixed almost completely live in the rack. I use a Focusrite Scarlett interface into Garageband as a glorified tape recorder, and the Toppobrillo Stereomix and a Moffenzeef Moffenmix in the rack. I'm about to add an Erica Fusion Mixer v3 as a second submixer too. I ran the Crucible to a different input on my interface and adjusted the volume in Garageband because I can never get hi-hats/cymbals to sit in a mix on first try. I didn't do any sort of mastering or EQ in Garageband.
Only the Prophet 80s synths were overdubbed, though still run through the rack. If I remember correctly, I just went from the Doepfer A119 to the FX Aid XL (for a tiny bit of reverb) to the Toppobrillo. You might laugh, but ever since I was a kid, I've been obsessed with the synth sounds in Billy Idol's song "Eyes Without a Face." Hahaha. So, almost anything I come up with on the Prophet ends up having an 80s vibe like that.
Thanks again for listening.

Thread: Chainsaw jam

Yeeeaaaahhhhh!!! Where's my glow stick?
Sounds great. I sort of regret selling the Chainsaw, but I needed to fund a keyboard. I'm glad to hear it in action here.
Keep sharing the acid.

It doesn't meet the required 17 minute drone threshold for you folks, so I guess it's just a dark ambient track? :)
I was trying an exercise in restraint and tension. Sound sources are MiniMod VCOs, Recombination Engine, E352, QPAS, Crucible, and a Prophet Rev2. Hope someone might enjoy it. As always, thank you for your time.

Sounds great. I'm impressed with the Minibrute 2s bassline!
I actually just had to unplug my TD3 and hide it because I couldn't stop making acid tracks. Haha
I really enjoyed your track on the best of MG compilation that @troux put together. Well done.

It sort of mimics the physics of string or bell resonance. Like when you pluck a guitar string or hit a cymbal, the note rings out with overtones and resonates.

Man, that would be sweet.

Have you tried the Trig input instead of the Tempo CV input?

I would still recommend buying a few modules at a time and allowing for a change in plans. My actual rack is much different than my initial plans.
I’ve argued in favor of the aesthetics being an important part of modular in the past. Just as guitars use flame maple tops and drums have glitter finishes, it’s OK to want your instrument to look cool too. With that being said, if it only looks good but doesn’t have the right parts for YOUR style of music and patching, it becomes an expensive attractive paperweight. I would advise placing function over form as you begin assembling your instrument. Use the thing, don’t just look at it. And if you buy a module that doesn’t fit in, sell it for a small loss and move on quickly to something that actually works for you.
That’s about the best advice I can offer. Let us know how you progress in the journey!

Hi Nabroc. The Expert Sleepers ES-8 is an audio and CV interface that will do exactly what you are looking to do. Their larger ES-9 also functions as a standalone mixer with more channels. There are other (cheaper?) ways, but these are good modular options.
Have fun and good luck!

>
I want to conclude by reiterating this general question: given the stated aim (the ability to generate a broad palette of interesting "experiemental" and evolving timbres and textures; generative patches; loads of modulation; loads of flexibilty; both control and room for the unexpected; a unique, personalized instrument), am I actually falling short functionality-wise in the sense of failing to realize the aim? I grant that the aim could be achieved differently and with smaller modules, but that's another matter.

-- wrecksmoondee

I think each of us has a different definition for "functionality," so your approach to a unique, personalized instrument is vastly different than mine, which is great. Yes, this will likely do the things you want unless your idea of experimental evolving textures includes sounds that you would find in something like the Spherical Wavetable Navigator, Panharmonium, Rings, or other wacky digital modules. I like some stuff like that, so your plan wouldn't be quite as functional for me.
Either way, it seems like you have a good understanding of synthesis. Dive in. Buy some modules. You'll know if your plan is a good one once you start patching. Have fun with it!

I'm not sure if my old ears could tell the difference, but it may be nice to have the option. Lugia could probably break down the science of it for you, but changes in volume sound unnatural with linear VCAs if I remember correctly. Here's some additional info:
https://learningmodular.com/linear-versus-exponential/

Start off with the linear VCAs, and if you decide you need exponential, that's what you'll end up buying next. The beauty of modular! :)

Have fun.

Sounds like you have a great plan, and I'm sure this system will give you many years of excellent service!
I only have a few Doepfer modules myself, so hopefully some of the other users will chime in with specific module recommendations (or warnings).

Hi wrecksmoondee. Looks like you have just about everything you'll need. Maybe some exponential VCAs (unless I overlooked those) and additional attenuverters, though the matrix mixer may work for inverting signals. Will you be adding any external effects?Also curious if you are only interested in Doepfer, or will you be researching other manufacturers too? As much as I really want that A154/A155 combo, but there are very capable sequencers in a much smaller footprint.
You are off to a great start here, though I wouldn't recommend buying everything at once. If you just buy a few modules at a time, that will give you the opportunity to adjust your plans on the fly to incorporate modules that may be a better fit for the type of music you want to do.
Have fun and good luck!

Yes, I think the Sinfonion is what you are looking for. I know that one of the members here uses the Sinfonion. Maybe @GarfieldModular can give you some guidance.
Have fun and good luck!

Awesome! Thanks so much for curating this @troux.
Just purchased.

There is a post pinned in the Modular Grid forum:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/801

I've definitely considered it. I'll watch some demos to help make up my mind. That always works out bad for my wallet though. Haha.

Good breakdown, Garfield. What about the Pittsburgh EP420? I’m too lazy to do the math. Haha
Here in the U.S., there was short period where the Mantis was plentiful both new and used, and there were lots of sales so I think many of us have defaulted to that one. Also, I’m just fond of the aesthetics of it, though I know that is up for debate. I’m growing to love Doepfer stuff, and I may invest in one of their cases eventually.
Thanks for the price breakdown and food for thought.

Ha! Was posting this at the same time as farkas, apparently
-- Shakespeare

What is it they say about great minds? Haha.
While I have to assume there are people out there who have been extremely satisfied with a small limited rack like this, I felt very constrained until I had about 300hp filled. Maybe that says more about the limits of my creativity and ingenuity than anything. I also prefer larger modules too, so the small knobs and cramped interfaces don't get much use in my rack.
Ergonomics is something that seems to be overlooked in some of these small palettes. I've watched some of the MylarMelodies and Ricky Tinez tiny rack videos and I would get so frustrated with the crowded lack of tweaking space. But different strokes for different folks. That's the beauty of being a musician.

Hi Kieran. You may want to take a look at the post "Minimum Viable Party" from earlier this morning. There is some overlap in my suggestions here.
In short, get a bigger case. You will want and need it in the long run. Think long term and not based on your current proposed idea and budget. All of that will go out the window when you buy a few modules to start with. There are a few other threads in this forum about the folly of trying to do a tiny modular build despite the current wave of YouTube videos. I would recommend you read through those threads pretty carefully before buying a tiny palette case.
If you want specific module guidance, let us know. Lots of folks here will be glad to help.
Have fun and good luck!

Welcome @benjaminjamesgreen. I would first recommend planning long-term, i.e. not what your current budget is, but what you want to achieve. Anyone who is into modular quickly finds out that money and space quickly disappears. With that said, most will tell you to invest in a larger case from the get-go. You WILL want the space eventually, and you can fill it with blind panels in the meantime. The TipTop Mantis is almost always the recommended starter case around here. 2x104hp, inexpensive, and great power supply with a decent amount of power headers.
A second recommendation would be to get a dedicated drum machine instead of trying to include drums in your modular right off the bat. The drum modules you have chosen don't have a lot of patch points, and so their sound design capabilities are very limited. They're also very tiny. That's not very fun. Get a more versatile drum machine that you can clock and interface with your modular for now. You can always invest in better drum modules in the future. Most beginners try to pack too much functionality into a small space (I did it too). For something small like this, focus on developing an excellent synth voice and try to make it as tweakable and patchable as possible. Plaits is always a good starting point. Also, you probably won't need an output module if you get a good quad cascading VCA to double as a mixer.
I've put together what I consider to be a good STARTING point for a modular synth. It overshoots your budget, but I promise that is going to happen anyway. And, you don't need to get everything at once. When you start patching, you will discover what you need to buy next. Some of the others in this forum will probably have recommendations and suggestions for budget friendly alternatives too.
Have fun and good luck!
ModularGrid Rack

Edit*
This build assumes that you will be using the Disting or uO_C Piqued for the envelope functions. I have added a Quadrax envelope generator but it's not showing up above.