Not sure if I have much more to add beyond the-erc and Lugia, but my experience was that I mostly had to dedicate myself to the modular format. Aside from a few specific external hardware pieces (one polysynth and a drum machine), I got rid of just about every other piece of hardware that didn't interface well with my rack. And I didn't feel like I could quite accomplish what I was trying to do until I had about 9u/104hp full, but that's just me. I especially second the-erc's suggestion to avoid your computer for a while. I also agree with Lugia that Maths probably isn't the best option here. Maths can do a lot, and it has many disciples, but it's not the best option for every circumstance regardless of the hushed tones and legendary status it encourages. For your style of music, I would probably be more likely to recommend Zadar or Octasource and a bunch of utilities (aka "boring modules," switches, sample and hold, 3xMIA, Disting, etc.) to get the most out of what you do have.
Dedicate time to learning what your modular can and can't do, and invest wisely in expanding its capabilities. Sometimes the format just isn't a good fit so don't throw more money at it if it's not working for your workflow. Above all, have fun with it.