Thanks for the responses. I can't remember seeing a thread specifically about module arrangement and maintenance, so I figured it might be a good discussion/thought exercise. This is a craft that revolves around long term gear acquisition in a way, and with that comes some occasional headaches.
Lugia, that's definitely similar to the signal/work flow idea I initially started with (and looks like a fun rack). Now that I've expanded to near my limit, added a few hardware pieces, and developed my personal preferences, I had to upset the apple cart. Spent all afternoon re-racking everything (God bless threaded rails, and screw some sliding nuts. Ugh!) after realizing that I preferred some modules in close reach regardless of how illogical their placement might seem to someone else. I'm thinking the new layout should keep me focused on creativity for a while. I may add a Low Gain Short Bus and a Knob Farm Ooots eventually, but I can't think of anything else I need to add for a while.
Would love to hear anyone else's approach to this minor tedious aspect of modular.