Hi JimHowell1970,
On top of the points you mentioned (and I agree with you) I had also realized that it is cheaper for me (in Italy) to buy the original MI modules.

In general, some modules are not available here or I should import them from U. S. so I will have to switch modules available at least in EU.

I am proud to announce that today I have ordered the rails for my rack!!!

Next purchase: wood and power for the case!

Thank you.

I'd want modulation and utilities - you may not think you want them now - but you probably will find you need them down the line - maybe go and do some research! this is where modular shines in my opinion

On top of that I would look at the size of the case and abandon it if you have not already bought it - get a bigger one - TipTop Mantis is generally best bang for buck, but the large behringer may change that when it appears - if portability is a factor, then the mantis is probably better - the new case looks significantly better than the original

However, saying that, what you have already selected looks like it would generate some harsh noise, to me

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Personally I would not buy or recommend Mutable Instruments clones - unless they are discontinued, or are something like supercell - which is expanded - or I was going to build them myself
Why?
1. you have the space in a 104hp/6u case for full size ones
2. the originals are designed with ergonomics in mind - ie they are nice to play with - a lot of the clones - are not they are designed to fit in as small a space as possible
3. and most importantly - Emilie does not get paid for clones - you want more exceptional MI modules - buy the originals - the money goes to the original designer - buy a clone - the money does not - also MI support for MI modules is great - for clones non-existant

yeah you might save a few $/€/£ (and a few hp - but it's the same really), but in the long run is it really worth it?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hi folks,
i am new in the modular game.
Looking for a small harsh noise bastard.
Is this gonna work? Any other ideas for sequencing?

Thanks a lot.

ModularGrid Rack

you lost me at jpeg - post a link (zoom and mouse-over are really useful) especially as there are thousands of modules out there

It's always a good idea to understand that a "modular fx rig" is a modular synthesizer minus it's in rack sound source

I would look at more utility modules - the plumbing - the (relatively inexpensive) dull polish that lets the shiny modules shine brighter - I personally don't count Maths as a utility module - although it can be used as such - because it is so powerful

I always recommend Mutable Instruments Links, Kinks and Veils as a good starter set for this in a relatively small space

Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 would also be a very useful module - as would Ornament and Crime (both are swiss army knife modules)

A matrix mixer and sequential switch may also be useful

I would look at ornament and crime - the source code is available on github and some of the existing functions are similar/ partially what you want so creating a new one should not be that difficult - and it will do exactly what you want it to

Would you look at that. My lack of experience would mean there are concepts there I would never have considered. Thank you so much Lugia, for taking the time to pull that together. Simply put I now when people are more skilled than me and that is a rack I will work towards...perhaps I may, or may not, change items as I learn more myself but what a target to aim for in the coming months. Thanks again.

Ronin, yes, I love the oscillators but the fact is that I have relatively little experience in this field so very likely do not know what I am missing. How exciting that this is going to change over the coming months.

There's a big change coming in my overall synth setup. I have had a Kronos 88 for 2 years...genuinely great piece of kit but I have found it to be rather unfriendly as far as programming goes, so that is heading to Ebay to be replaced by an old Roland RD250 or 300 so I can keep my hand in with piano playing. My MPC 2500 JJos remains as I am so used to it's sequencing and drum sampling. Plenty of other kit accrued over the years will mostly remain (Bit One, Radias, JP-08 x 2, Prophet 2000 of all things amongst others), but I have a new focus of discovery coming up. How exciting. Thanks so much again and I will be in touch and get more into this community.

Thanks for your suggestions !
My project seems to be more difficult than I thougt :-)
I will check the manuals of the modules you propose and see if I maybee already have some of theese functions in my modules.

Answering questions with questions is considered impolite. Do you suggest Adding more modulation or Swapping a module? Let me know what would you change. I am genuinely interested to know. I am breaking away from daw processing for certain things. I do not use it for music creation, rather musical approach to motion picture sound. This is first set of modules for 12u 126hp case. I want to limit myself to properly learn modules that i choose. Thanks for your input.

So first, let me reiterate what you're saying in case I don't understand correctly.

You want to be able to use a trigger to select different CV voltages. When moving between those CV voltages you want the value to slowly creep to the next value and then remain there until another trigger is received.

So, let's break the problem into the two functions:

The first sounds a lot like a sequencer. You hit it with a trigger and it then moves to the next step that contains a different CV value. In my set-up, I'd use the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis. It will rotate through 16 steps or you can set it to rotate through just four. You can use other lengths if you also supply a "reset" trigger... which you probably want to do anyways. Note: all three examples have reset inputs.

The great thing with this module is that it can store all of the values and you can recall them later. The down side is that you can't accurately change the values as it's running. But it has FOUR channels in it... so you can get crazy if you throw a switch into the mix.

My other option would be the Befaco Muxlicer. It has 8 faders that can output their own CV or take one incoming CV signal and attenuate it accordingly. The upside is that it's really easy to use and adjust on the fly. The bad news is that there's no storage. What you see is literally what you'll be getting. There's only one channel.

My last option is the Ornaments & Crime. It has a dual sequencer. It's more accurate to program than the Mimetic and can even store its settings. But you have to menu dive with a pair of rotary knobs. Not the worst interface... but some people just hate menus...

So whichever option I take... I can trigger specific CV voltages via a trigger.

NEXT... slewing between values.... SLEW RATE LIMITER.

Make Noise has the Maths module. One channel of this is PERFECT for the task. It offers rising and falling slope times as well as different scales of time (exponential, linear, log). Pros: dialing in exactly what I want. Cons: Expensive and a lot of rack real estate.

I also have an Intellijel Noise Tools unit with a generic slew rate limiter built in. I can substitute that for the Maths. Pros: cheap. Cons: only works in an Intellijel case with a 1U rack.

Anyways... that's how I would solve the problem within my own rack. Though there are probably other solutions that would work.

A stand alone phantom power supply is going to range from $30US to whatever you want to pay... with most sitting around $60.

If you're really digging the features or quality of the build and you really want hook up a condenser mic... that will solve the issue.

Nicely done, Lugia.

Let me throw a penny into your dollar's worth of knowledge.

I own a Z3000. Would I buy another one... no. Do I like it yes.

BUT.... one thing I learned after some wiggle-time, is that I like being able to switch octaves on the fly (usually measured in 'feet' from the old pipe organ standard). When blending two oscillators, there's value in being able to try an oscillator at a different octave instantly and then being able to go back. It's also nice when performing to switch an octave for variation.

The Z3000 only offers sweepable control of your pitch. So it's not a possibility to do this. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with an Intellijel Dixie II+.

Though, come to find out the original poster already has his two Z3000s. How do you like them, Pauly?

Thanks for the feedback Ronin1973

Well. You're on the right track.

A common timing source is a good first choice. A master clock could be something as simple as an LFO or a dedicated clock module. You can use a dedicated clock divider if you wish. But a good alternative would be a Pam's New Workout or a Temps Utile. They can divide (and multiply) a clock as well as perform other duties like trigger sequencing, Euclidean patterns, etc.

As far as mixers, you'll want at least two... both should be able to handle CV AND audio.

The quantizer is always a good move. So are effects like wavefolders, waveshapers, distortion, general effects (reverb, delay, etc.), and even distortion modules.

A dedicated sequencer to centralize control over all of your desktops would be nice as well... especially if you're performing or triggering things live.
-- Ronin1973

Well. You're on the right track.

A common timing source is a good first choice. A master clock could be something as simple as an LFO or a dedicated clock module. You can use a dedicated clock divider if you wish. But a good alternative would be a Pam's New Workout or a Temps Utile. They can divide (and multiply) a clock as well as perform other duties like trigger sequencing, Euclidean patterns, etc.

As far as mixers, you'll want at least two... both should be able to handle CV AND audio.

The quantizer is always a good move. So are effects like wavefolders, waveshapers, distortion, general effects (reverb, delay, etc.), and even distortion modules.

A dedicated sequencer to centralize control over all of your desktops would be nice as well... especially if you're performing or triggering things live.

Instead of posting a picture of your rack... post a LINK to it.

What will this external rack do for you that you can't do with your DAW?
How do you plan on effectively modulating your modules? By the looks of things, you'll be dependent on your DAW for pitched sequences.

Updated! Now THIS is a superior piece of kit!
ModularGrid Rack
OK, let's check this out...this now has two discrete "voice" channels, one being a 303-style and the other being a more conventional dual VCO lead/bass synth. Both of these are serviced by an extensive modulation and timing section in the lower row.

Top row: retained the Tiptop power inlet. Then the SEEK is a much-shrunk TB-303 style sequencer with quite a few more amenities than the Acidlab one. This feeds a Klavis dual VCO...onboard quantizing, ring mod, loads of waveforms, sync modes, etc. Then the dual outs go into the dual ins of a Tiptop Wavefolder, which interpose the incoming waveforms against each other AND provides a suboscillator divider. A pair of AR envelopes, next, and then an excellent multimode VCF which also incorporates a VCA for punch on the ACC outputs from the SEEK. But also, the ACC can be fed to the 2hp COMP, which lets you mash the crap out of your accented notes for extra JOYREX-style filth and nastiness. The A-130-2 is the end of the TB voice, also providing a second VCA for the lead/bass. That part uses the two Tiptop VCOs, into a Wavefolder yet again to mix and modify those. That then hits the LP VCF.

Bottom row: the little 1 hp sliver is a Konstant Labs power monitor, with pilot lights for your P/S rails to check for problems there since the Tiptop uZeus inlet is missing these. MIDI next, with a mini clone of the Mutable Yarns. Then a very twisted little dual clock/logic module, which is where the timing fun begins. A Hikari Euclidean sequencer then provides conflicting pulses, which can then be combined and resolved in the Boolean A-166 to create strange, new timing variations. The Toolbox provides a bunch of useful little bits...comparator, switch, summer, rectifier, etc. Then Doepfer's A-118-2 provides noise, random voltages, and either a sample and hold or track and hold. Triple linear VCA/mixer next, primarily for modulation level control. The mod sources themselves consist of a Maths (natch!) and a Zadar + its Nin expander; between these two, ALL envelope and LFO activity for the build gets generated and spread for the entire build's uses. Another dual VCA next, this time with variable response to allow it to be used for either audio or CV/mod, then after this is a 2hp Verb, usable for stereoizing/deepening a mono voice coming from that dual VCA to feed to the Clouds clone. That module's stereo output then feeds a Happy Nerding stereo transformer isolator + level control, which can just as easily be repurposed for dual mono use for the separate voice sections to have individual outputs.

How's that?

Hi guys,

I am building my first eurorack system, primarily focused on playing audio into it for processing and recording it back into daw. What do you think about this build? Anything you would do otherwise? Would you swap/remove or add modules? Much appreciated

ModularGrid Rack

Thread: 7u planned

Thanks for so much detail and suggestions! I thought and made some changes to the plan. Zadar looks amazing for ambient/drone/generative/noise which is the aim of this rack.

quadra is sufficient for regular envelopes when paired with zadar, rather than quadrax
contour is gone - can use ASR from quadra
maths is gone - big call, but quadratt does cv generation/attenuversion, pnw does lfos, plog covers the logic, quadra & zadar do envelopes, not too much missing?
added zeroscope to help me figure out what the hell is going on with my signals, and to tune oscillators (any midi sequences will be coming in from an octatrack). Once I’m more experienced this could be replaced.
buffered mult is now 3u, that’s a great call!

this leaves a nice 36hp at the bottom for synchrodyne+expand in the future - it would be a while before I can afford that anyway, and buying more modulation and EG first will get me more out of what I have already, just as you said.
Logic I will need to look into in much more detail including the u4r. For now I can get a random stepped voltage out of Pam’s and a bunch of triggers from plog.

This also leaves me with some kind of structure L-R of (midi/triggers/gates)-envelopes-oscillators-vcas/filters, which feels better thought out and tidier than before:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1144817.jpg

Hi, I currently have some desk top modular synths: moog werkstatt, m32, Grandmother, Lifeforms Sv-1, Make Noise 0-coast.
I would like to (eventually) expand their possibilities with some extra modules.
I am a fan of self generative Krell-type stuff.
In the jpeg link below you can see the types of modules I might be interested in. I'm not saying I want all of them, as there are some similar ones. But here's my thinking, I can use an oscillator from the desktop to go into a randomiser module.
Whilst the Grandmother has a random arp or sequencer and the 0-coast has a random clock function (I would like to continue using them too), I would like something extra to send an oscillator into for extra variation.
I would like a pitch quantiser to make the randomness more musical.
A mixer and a random sampler like Marbles.
A clock divider, sequence switch to trigger envelopes at different clocks?
And I added swirls and wave warping modules to change the wave forms.
A small rack with maybe only four or five modules might be ideal.
It would be my first rack and why I'm throwing out my vibe for feedback before I waste any money buying something I regret.
Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks for your time.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1151024.jpg

Makes for great reading and some modules I have not heard of - I will take a look. Thank you.

Hmmm...OK, well, I still hate that Acidlab sequencer being in there. If you had the ability to trigger some of the other states it has via trig/gate pulses, it would rock. But they obviously built this to be as close to the TB-303's underimplementation as possible...which isn't good, given that you're talking early 1980s sequencer tech, and things have gotten a lot more interesting since then.

So...keepers: all of the Tiptop modules, the 2 hp mixer, and the A-130-2.

Now...things that have to be replaced are the weird 3-pole VCF (or something suitably acieeeed-ish) and the sequencer. And that weird filter ain't easy to replace...but this is EURORACK, dammit, so...yep, replacement exists! Check out DinSync's VCF303. Yeah...the filter AND the oddball EG/accent circuit that it also needs to get that sound. Perfect! Smaller, too! As for the sequencer, it needs to output that important accent pulse AND have the proper glide behavior...which gets us to the Copper Traces Seek. Multiple sequence memories, all of the outputs needed, plus a bunch of extra trickery for less $$ than the Acidlab, and in far less space...but doing an improved version of the same thing.

That's just for starters...I'm thinking that I'm going to bang on this for a hot minute, see what I can toss out...

I just hate seeing people make mistakes that'll cost them both money and their enjoyment of music. That doesn't further things at all...it just results in gear sitting in closets and frustrated musicians, and I don't like the idea of either. And since I've got some 40-ish years of synth experience, it would be irresponsible as hell for me to NOT pay what I know forward.

Pam's IS a good choice, don't get me wrong there...but my concern is the lack of both LFOs and EGs. Your best bet is something which can combine these functions; as of late, a lot of people have been gravitating to the Xaoc Zadar, but Intellijel's new Quadrax + Qx expander might be a better choice from the standpoint that there's no menu diving involved, plus there's a lot of interesting functions there. At the same time, though, the Zadar has crazy-long cycle times that run up into the tens of minutes, plus it also fits into 13 hp with its Nin expander, while the Intellijel requires 18 for the Quadrax + its expander. More or less a "what feels better" sort of issue. Do keep the Pam's, though...as a clocking device and trigger sequencer, it's superb.

That stereo VCA...hm...you tend to see those for dynamic control on outputs, but in a rig like this, I'm wondering how useful it really is. There's other things that could be in there, especially if you swap that buffered mult (yep, there's enough CV destinations that you NEED it here) down to a 3U row and make it fit in 2 hp, which you already have open. With that gone, and after pulling the Stereo VCA and the 2 hp blank, you have 24 hp in the tile row to play with. If it were me, I'd have that row look like this:

Stereo Line In / uMIDI / Transient Modules u4R / Noise Tools / QuadrATT / Stereo Line Out

Now, what's that new u4R thing? Ahhh...another bit to go in between timing and logic. Have a look at it...makes lots of sense.

And speaking of logic, while the Plog is a really nicely-featured module, it's just the gates. You'll need a few more toys, such as comparators (which can generate gate info from CV/mod voltage curves), a diode OR for combining gates (see the Doepfer A-186-1 for an example), pulse counters which allow you to specify a trigger/gate to fire on a specific beat, maybe a derivator (something like Ladik's J-110, which fires pulses based on CV movement direction...crazy useful for tracking EGs and LFOs) or something probabilistic to screw with clocking, like Ladik's S-090. As regards the comparators, though...there's a specific type of these called a window comparator, and these allow you to output several different pulse signals as a voltage curve moves through a user-defined "window" of upper and lower thresholds. Dovemans' SHFT is a good example of these. Basically, the point of logic is to take the timing and sequential info moving around as pulsetrains, and screw with it all, while also generating more pulsetrains via comparators and the like, and then mashing all of these through a Boolean module like the Plog, et al to "smooth" the behavior between pulsetrains. Boolean logic takes a pair of incoming pulses, then subjects them to a logical test to arrive at a pulse output that happens on four specific pulse states: OR, AND, NAND, NOR. Or, more clearly...

OR: Pulses present at either input result in an output gate when both inputs do NOT concur.
AND: Pulses present at either input result in an output gate when both inputs DO concur.

...and the N states are these, but inverse. NOR (also known as XOR), for example, outputs a pulse when neither input has a high state. These tricks can be used to alter sequencer behavior, fire other events within a patch, screw with ongoing activities, etc etc etc. They open the lid on timing within a modular environment. Now, one other not-logic-but-really-it-is thing that fits here would be ratcheting, which is a triggered repetition of a pulse, usually via a sequencer. But with that pulse counter I mentioned previously, you can patch out a single clock step to fire the ratchet/clock multiplier (have a look at Doepfer's A-160-5 for reference) and get a rapid-fire pulse train with X number of pulses in subdivided time whenever that 7th beat gets fired. This is how Tangerine Dream gets those rapid repeated sequencer notes...albeit a bit simpler than you'd have to do it on Moog hardware. And it's also how you wring every bit of timing functionality out of your build!

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Ah yes, the STO, I should have known. I love to use the STO and indeed you can go nice deeply with that thing :-)

Let's continue enjoying our modular synths :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield, the deep tone is straight out of the sine wave output on the Make Noise STO with slow clocked Turing Machine taking gates from the Noise Engineering Bin Seq and straight to mixer on a mono channel. No midi keyboard or anything.

I should have Tamed the levels a bit before recording!!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hey Wishbonebrewery,

Oh my goodness, that deep bass sound! It's something I almost want to kneel down for, that good and that deep :-)

By the way, how do you create your tones, using a MIDI keyboard? Or somehow randomised?

Pity you got at a few moments of a bit of a noise-crackling sound over the song, otherwise I enjoyed it very much.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Rookie,

I personally don't have experience yet with the Ladik brand so I can't comment much on it. I would like you to advise to try this module out at your dealer or in case your dealer doesn't have this module, you might just want to give it a try, the module doesn't seem to be overly expensive.

Good luck and please keep me updated, Garfield.

This is a cool idea. There's now a DSO188 Mini kit that would make this even easier.

Thank you both for your time responding to my post. I know you have lots of insight as demonstrated on other threads so it is of value to me. I think I was possibly not clear in my first post - this is actually my rack - I was given the 'rack' itself and a number of other modules and already had the System 1m (which I really love) hence it lives in there, but as you can see I am out of room. Not an issue as such as I am slowly learning what I have and am not in a rush to expand. As you noticed I entirely agreed with the point that the 1m need not be in there, but your points regards the Autobot and M303 are well made. They were bought several years ago on something of a whim and sat awaiting the rack. I do love them but if they take up room that is not required then it is a fair point well made.

On the other hand as I already have this rack and the System 1m removal frees up some space, perhaps my asking what could be of value to you in the space it leaves would be a fair question?

Thanks again - a pleasure getting to know you all.

Paul

The Mimetic is a $260 module. So it's not terribly expensive. But if the funds aren't there... understandable. I watch a lot of Ricky as well. He is great about making a lot of music out of a tiny amount of kit.

No point making another thread to post this new Patch...

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Yep I've got the 2hp Euclid at work too, it just needs a bit of gentle modulation to keep it evolving. I think the first thing I did when I racked up the Bin Seq was drive it from the Euclid, I guess something like the Befaco VC Slew would be nice for sliding between the pitches along with the Bin Seq.
I'm going to say that Mimetic Digitalis is a little out of my price range at the moment though i have been watching a few Ricky Tinez videos with it in.

Cheers :)

I don't wanna get into why one would want/need any of those devices.
It just so happens that I use an OT, an A4 and a modular rack. Both Elektron devices offer unique ways to control a modular. It depends on your modules and what sparks/stifles your creativity on which approach is best for you.
A4 not only offers note CV, gates and sequenced manual cv, but also LFOs and envelopes. All of them plockable. Really cool.
The OT needs a Midi to CV module (like Garfield mentioned). There's no need for an 8 channel interface. You can absolutely use the OT to control just one or two channels. It's hard to recommend a single interface without knowing what should be controlled. Multiple voices using just note cv+gate? Or rather one voice with lots of midi CC to CV? The expert sleepers FH-2 is very flexible, but requires quite a bit of setup time and planning. Something like LPZW's Tram8 offers 8 gates plus 8 CVs (in a special OT optimized firmware), but no note CV at all - might be totally sufficient for a drum rack, or for sequencing eurorack sequencers via OT.

The Behringer 303 clone is $150 and comes with Eurorack patch points. It won't bolt to a Eurorack case... but for that price... not a bad option.

For the limited space that you have, putting gear into the rack that already has its own case is a very expensive and limiting option. They are eating up your entire case... as well as the huge, retro sequencer that doesn't really offer all that much in terms of size vs. functionality.

Which modules do you already own? I noticed the old build of the Tip Top ADSR in the rack.

The Disting makes for a good assortment of programs. If you're really loving the clockable LFO, I'd suggest getting an LFO module that supports that.

Check out the Euclidean mode on the Disting. If you're having fun with Turing and the Bin Seq, a Euclidean sequencer might be your cup of tea as well as the Tip Top Trigger Riot.
EDIT: just saw the Euclid 2HP module in the rack... you know this already.

You may also want to check out the Mimetic Digitalis from Noise Engineering. It pairs well with trigger/gate sequencers.

You guys are so awesome for helping out us newbies design our first modular synth. Thank you!

Thanks Lugia for taking the time to comment! I don't have the synchro/cyclebox + expanders, or plog yet so there is space to spare and balance with some modulation sources. I thought Pam's was a good start for this but I will look into the EGs, you are right. There is a small 1u VCA in the top row but I had also thought of an Intellijel Linix, then that space could be used for another line out module giving 4 outs from the 7u case.
Do you have any thoughts on logic?

Would like to hear some breakcore from it :)

Oh yeah, the "Breakcore" one is the fantasy one that I've planned the most, "My Actual Eurorack" Is the one that is real and that I use currently.

ModularGrid Rack
I've just had one of those moments where something feels to click into place with the direction you want to go in Eurorack, this is probably coupled with me reorganising my rack into a second TipTop Happy Ending kit, getting a Make Noise STO and the brilliant little Noise Engineering Bin Seq which is letting me have long gate lengths and slow note changes when clocking the Turing Machine (2hp TM) with the long tied notes from the Bin Seq.

Next steps are toward more modulation, probably an Ochd, so I can leave the Disting on Sample playing duty, though I do like the Clockable LFO on the Disting, the Noise Engineering Clep Diaz does do a nice job of clocked/stepped/LFO.

Its nice that I've managed to creep closer to my aims, thanks to reading the internet and watching Youtube :)

You seem to have many racks though. I guess they are not all physical realities yet?

Definitely, seems pretty perfectionist. I feel like these kind of racks are a meta for eurorack in general. Mine is pretty similar, except I went a bit more down the Monome / Mannequins / OD path.

Thanks. Certainly is a bitch to get right. So much ocd with this thing :)

Awesome + Inspirational rack

An EG with AHDSR seems to be the solution!
Most of the modules I find only have Hold times in a few seconds but Ladik C-215 AHDSR
seems to have Hold time for hours? But I’m not sure as the information about the module is not very precise.
But one of the labels is ”hours” but I am not sure if that even refers to Hold time.
What do you think?

Good thing you're already down with removing the System-1m. Devices that have their own cabs and power don't belong in a case that's intended for things which don't have them. It also sneakily increases the cost of your System-1m, as you're now housing and powering it twice.

I've spent a hot minute here looking at this build, sorting out what bugs me about it. And then it hit me...that 303 sequencer. First of all, it takes up about 1/4th of the entire build. Second, it's sort of an anachronism...it's something from the period where there were no decent TB-303 emulations or reissues, and while the voicing had been sorted out by that point in time, the sequencer was still defying redesign. And third, it costs half a grand, which I suppose is cheap when compared to a $3k original Roland 303, but which is dumb as hell when you can get Cyclone Analogic's TT-303 mkii for $300-350 street, brand new. And yeah, it emulates the original device almost perfectly. It would make a lot more sense to me to outboard one of those, then have a suitable MIDI interface in a smaller build overall (maybe as small as 1 x 104, even) so that you can pass note data from the TT-303 to the modular. Want to filter it further? Then add a Doepfer A-119 for an input pre + envelope follower. And THIS way, you can build a more general-purpose modular that 1) costs less, 2) isn't so huge because of huge modules, and 3) dovetails nicely with anything laying around the studio, instead of being mission-specific.

Np...feel free to PM me if you'd like a little assist in the search. After all, I just dropped a huge 48-frame Soundcraft into my own studio back in January, and that sucker only ran me $750 + whatever it took to transport and move it from Indy to here.

Hello everyone. New member here, so nice to meet you all. As a long-time synthesist with a history dating back to my Roland HS60 purchased in 1986 I have only recently taken the road of the modular and am finding it very interesting although am still very much the student, learning as I go.

Here's my rack below. At some point I am sure the System 1 is going to sprout wooden cheeks and sit atop the rack at which time I shall be putting other units in the hole where it once sat. Would be interested to hear what you might add yourselves over time?

Oh and yes, I am partial to Acid and classic Techno. Thanks for your time.

ModularGrid Rack

Thx, Lugia! I'll keep a look out on eBay for one of those.