Hi all,

I am considering an Fx Aid from Happy Nerding for my Intellijel Palette case. However, I see that the module depth is 45 mm according to ModularGrid, although I can't find confirmation of that on the Happy Nerding website. The case's depth is also reported as 45 mm in the specs, and when I measured it myself and calculated the depth it came to 45.24 mm. That strikes me as so close that I am now concerned about getting the module and discovering that I'd have to damage it just to get it installed. Just how much clearance am I likely to have? Has anyone else successfully installed an Fx Aid module in a Palette case?

I would think that you might want something like a Triple Sloths or Zadar for unusual or evolving modulation. I just got the Ochd, and it is outstanding with eight "organic" LFOs in 4hp.
Yes, I think a different oscillator would be wise. The oscillators you picked out are ok for basic wave shapes, but you probably won't get great pads with these. Plaits is popular in these small racks for a reason due to its broad range of synthesis types. There is even a 6hp micro Plaits that would provide you with more options than the oscillators you have chosen. Maybe even the Cursus Iteritas for a wavetable-ish oscillator that can do evolving sounds with some modulation. For the "pluck" sounds, you might want a low pass gate in addition to VCAs and envelopes.
I'm not familiar with the 1u modules you have chosen. Will one of them provide triggers for envelopes or gates to keep everything in time like a Pamela's New Workout or other master clock/clock divider? How will you sequence or play everything? Do you have something like a Beatstep Pro, or will you need a sequencing module?
Ronin is right in that a Deepmind or something like that will get you closer to what you want for far less money, unless you have plans to expand beyond this palette case considerably. Unfortunately, that's kind of the state of modular synthesizers.
Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Ronin,

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into it.

Farkas,

What makes the setup difficult for me get what I am trying to achieve? How would I be able to improve the functionality so that the outcome is closer to what I am trying to achieve? I am not necessarily talking about modules specifically, but what type of functionality do you think is missing that I should try to add (ie: different lfo shapes, a more "flexible" oscillator, etc)?

The input has been much appreciated

What about something like this?
ModularGrid Rack

I have most of the modules suggested here, and I think you could get a lot out of them. Some of the other folks here will likely have other recommendations.
As this is a small rack, I tried to pack a lot of functionality and utilities into your rack so you won't get bored quickly. Maths is great, but you can pack a lot more into that 20hp. Disting can serve as just about anything, so it's almost a must-have in a rack this size. For Eno-esque evolving textures, you will want a lot of modulation sources so I have included Sloths for slow random movement, Quadrax for envelopes and LFOs, and Pique for a little bit of everything (envelopes, LFOs, drum sounds, mini-sequencing options, etc.). The 3xMIA attenuates CV signals, and you will also want VCAs to control volume over time.
Let us know how it goes.
Have fun!

Thanks for the reply!

My plan is to try and make evolving chord soundscapes. (Eno meets Reich?)
Originally the Subharmonicon wasn’t in there but rather than buy a larger case later on I thought I’d put it in there.
Eventually I’ll replace it with VCOs, VCAs, envelopes and filters.

For the moment I thought of using Hermod to sequence the chordal modes in both Plaits and Rings occasionally (or use them as single voices) as the Subharmonicon can produce nice chords.
On reflection, I think you are right, and the 0-control would be better used for its touchplates/keyboard abilities (I currently use it for controlling PWM and cutoff on the Moog as well as sequencing the 0-Coast).

I’ve had a fair bit of experience with synths (hardware and VCV) but am fairly new to completely modular.
I’ve learnt a lot from my 0-Coast and would really love to expand my setup... and knowledge!

My plan is not to really go larger than this though, as I’ll be using a similar sized pedal board for outboard effects and I’d like it to be fairly portable.

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated!

I've looked at this rack a few times, but I have some questions first so I might be able to offer some advice: When you say "a lot of chordal voices," are you referring to the chord mode within Plaits? Are you planning to add other oscillators, envelopes, and VCAs so that you can sequence those as chords?
How far are you looking to go with this? If you are planning to sequence with the 0-Control, Hermod might be a bit overkill with a rack this small, but it's pretty common to expand beyond a first small rack so it might make sense in the long run. I'm just not sure what you are envisioning long term.
If you are ok with using external gear, why eat up all of your rack space with the Subharmonicon?
How much prior experience do you have with synths?
Let me know what your thinking is on these, and I'll help if I can.
Have fun and good luck!

You're going to burn up $1000 in a heartbeat and not get anywhere. Unless you have a budget of around $3000+, you're going to have more of a novelty than a system that you can use to get the results you want.

Buy a Behringer Deepmind 12D. Tons of modulation possibilities and way under your budget.

It's going to be tough to get what you are describing ("a lot of modulation, bass, leads, plucks, pads") from this setup. What you have built is not too much different than a Behringer Crave, which can be found for about $200-$250. I would recommend picking up a semi-modular (Crave, Mother 32, 0-Coast) for these duties and using the palette case to supplement that with more interesting modules like Plaits, or maybe even an E352? An Intellijel Quadrax or DivKid Ochd will give you a fair amount of modulation. Happy Nerding makes a lot of nice inexpensive 6hp modules like a 3xVCA and many more. I would recommend doing a bit more research before you pull the trigger on this rack so you get the results you describe under your price point.
Something to consider.
Have fun and good luck!

Hi All.

I am in the process of buying/building my first eurorack. I am a music producer and I can get most of the sounds I want from other sources. What I struggle to get is evolving sounds. I need this synth to be able to do a lot of modulation. In addition to that, it needs to be able to cover from bass sounds to leads and from plucks to pads. But I do not need it to be able to make drum-like sounds (which is why I don't currently have a sequencer). I also can only spend $1,000 on the modules.

I am going to get the Intellijel Palette case. In addition to that, there are a few modules I am going to get no matter what. They are the 3 Intellijel 1U modules and the Behringer 150. I also need some way of having velocity control (which is the sole purpose of the VCA but that is only the most effective way I found. I am not necessarily "locked in" to that specific VCA if there is a better way). Beyond that, I want your guys input on if there is anything I should change.

I also don't know how to post an in-line picture in the forum so I have attached a link to the eurorack here: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1232114.jpg?1591801855 . If that doesn't work, you can find my rack by searching "Loiben"

ModularGrid Rack

Hi there,

I'm planning on assembling a rack with for ambient performances but with a lot of chordal voices.
Currently I have the Subharmonicon and an 0-coast and 0-cntl.
I plan on using the 0-cntl for sequencing and playing live (but not mounting it).
Also, I've got a large guitar pedal board with a lot of reverbs, delays and loopers which I'd like to use (hence the Rosie).

What do you think of this rack set up?
I'm kinda going round in circles now so your opinions would be great!

Two words - it's fun.

I find modular to be like finger painting with sound. I'm finally starting to develope some techniques, some ways to get predictable results, but the main appeal for me still is that it's a happy accident machine. I am not an organized thinker and making 'music' via patching is perfect for the way my brain works.
-- baltergeist

Yeah, I've just started and knowing that I can turn my setup on, make a couple of connections and have some fresh sounds going is an incentive to get up in the morning. And the more I do it, the more I start to get it. It's deep and wide and light.

@Lugia
Very interesting real life examples of those everlasting questions about art and technical means: 'Should I retain or break the common rules?', 'Should I use or dismiss instruments and tools I could use?'

History of art, and music in particular, abounds with great examples: the use of a keyboard (an harpsichord at that time) as a soloist in a concerto, traditionally limited to a role of continuo instrument (JS Bach was the first to dare it), the integration of vocal soloists and a chorus in a historically instrumental form (Beethoven symphony No 9), the use of vinyl discs, tape recorders and sampling techniques (Pierre Schaeffer creating musique concrète), etc.

"Don’t be ashamed of your own ideas. Most musicians get applauded for sounding like someone else.

People try something out that they think is exciting, and everyone looks a little unsure. Then they play an old James Brown riff and everyone’s saying: ’Wow! That’s what we want!’

Most of the time musicians are being encouraged to sound recognizable. What I’m doing [as a producer] is encouraging them at the points when they’re not."

[ Brian Eno ]

@baltergeist
And YES, baltergeist, THAT'S REALLY FUN! :))

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).
https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major/tracks

Thanks for your answers. I will consider the forbidden planet as well.
In general the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper. It seems like a mistake to try putting a rack for everything together - every other minute I'm questioning my choices. I definetely have to deep dive in some modul manuals to see if they really fit what is in my head.

I love the tone of the Furthrrr Generator. I use it all the time and would buy it again in a heartbeat. For whatever reason, though, I struggle with the E352. I bought it mostly for drones and textures, but it sounds so much different than everything else in my rack that I have a hard time fitting it in to what I do. I'm not an analog purist by any means, but that thing has a very clean/digital sound. It's so dynamic and every setting seems to fill the entire audio spectrum, so I've found it hard to layer things over top of it. I likely need to EQ it better. I use the FM and morph settings a lot more than the cloud settings. I'm not sure that I would buy it again, but I'm not in any hurry to get rid of it. I think I just need to spend more time with it. It's pretty deep.
Have fun with your new rack!

Hi Farkas,

Oh wow, you got yourself a nice rack there :-) Pretty full too...

I would love to have myself that Furrrrr generator too, with my first test at my local dealer I didn't manage to get a proper sound out of it but during a second test, wow, it literally blew my head off, so nice! But looking at the point of how much it shrinks the bank account, is it still worth it you think?

How about the E352 Cloud Terrarium from Synthesis Technology, do you like it, also worth the investment? I got the E330 multimode VCO and I am quite happy with that one, would the E352 or actually I was looking at the E340 Cloud Generator, be a nice addition to the E330? I just read that E340 is sold out :-(

Well, I could talk all night about interesting modules and stuff but I just reorganised my modules the last few days, since I just recently added a new rack (didn't had for months enough space for new modules), so I want to play a bit with my new setup. Sorry to have to let you go because of that ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Actually, my suggestion would be the Tiptop Forbidden Planet, cosmetic issues be damned. The price is excellent, it's very straightforward to use, plus hiding behind that panel is the craziness that IS a proper Steiner-Parker Synthacon VCF, but with the added fun of being able to input to more than one response curve at the same time. The original didn't let you do that, but it WOULD just about tear your ears off in extreme BP and HP settings...definitely a lead-voice screamer!

Worth noting:

Original Minimoog sales figures, 1970-1981: 12,000+ units.

I see them listed but not in stock. For example: https://vintageking.com/2hp-loop-sound-looper-module?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyu3xxcP16QIVQxx9Ch38_wfHEAYYASABEgJ1lfD_BwE

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

It's hard to argue against Mutable Instruments' Ripples for a good all-around filter. The Joranalogue Filter 8 looks really nice too.

thanks a lot @rossduncan . The Disting MK4 is definitely on my list and I will look into the Short Bus. I also added a Mimetic Digitalis for some interactive sequence action.
Any recommendations on another good small filter for this kind of a rack? The Forbidden Planet looks like a bang for the buck but I just don't like the look of it.

Having done the exact same thing I can strongly recommend Pamela's New Workout (which could replace both the Trigg and the Quad LFO). This is more fun than having the DFAM be the master clock because Pam lets you drive the DFAM sequencer with more interesting rhythms. Combined with something like the Short Bus this is very good.

Also : Disting Mk4 is well worth its 4hp because it can do so many things.

Any news about this module? It was announced for April initially but I'm guessing COVID-19 screwed up their plans since I can't find anyone selling it.

Just curious. I'm enjoying my Tetrax and Cocoquantus 2, wondering if anyone has tips, guidance, enthusiasm to share.

Cheers. Yep, that's likely what has happened.
I have had another one today! They've messaged me to say it was an accident.

Two words - it's fun.

I find modular to be like finger painting with sound. I'm finally starting to develope some techniques, some ways to get predictable results, but the main appeal for me still is that it's a happy accident machine. I am not an organized thinker and making 'music' via patching is perfect for the way my brain works.

I'd no idea it was that many (MATHS and MG members). I stand corrected!

Hi Modulargrid,

62k active members or 62k sold items on Market place?
-- GarfieldModular

62k members that managed to click on the activation link in the registration mail

62,000 users? That's hardly believable !
-- fredeke

You can see them all here and write them a PM :)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Maybe ask the person kindly why they did that? I accidentally rated someone negative when viewing this site on an iPad. The device is pretty good at preventing unintentional button presses but they do happen.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello, everyone,

after quite some time with VCV, and reading hundreds of threads, posts and articles, I want to enter the world of real knobs and controls. I put this rack together, but honestly I'm torn which modules are really must-have and what is still missing.

With this rack I want to add new layers, textures, simple melodies and basslines, besides my DFAM and various synths - so it should be a starter (budget) allrounder rack, which is also suitable for a jam session on its own.
I'm mainly interested in the initial start with the rack, surely more modules, second voice, effects and modulators will be added later. (like the Disting and so on)

Especially in combination with the DFAM I'm not sure what the best modules are for the beginning, to experiment with them but still create good and rich sounds. Not to mention the choice of filters and VCO (any recommendations?) - the market is simply overwhelming. Unfortunately I don't have a shop near me to test modules.

I am interested in your help, experiences and some feedback.
thanks

62,000 users? That's hardly believable !

Thanks for listening, Garfield. The reggae vibe just started flowing, so I went with it.
Because the lighting around my synth is pretty poor, I usually put effects on any videos I upload to Instagram. You should be able to see my current rack if you click on my Modular Grid profile (though I haven't bought the Eloquencer yet).
Take care!

Hi Farkas,

That's quite funny that dub reggae type of music, never expected that for a modular system, but why not, right? :-) So I liked that quite a bit!

Only pity I didn't see much of your setup since you made the video pretty "unclear" ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Rookie,

He, he, yeah, it might indeed take 40 additional voices or something like that to realise a symphony... not to speak of the x-number of large additional casings you are going to need to put those 40 voices into it...

That's perhaps a con of modular ;-) But it would be funny and cool to see a complete symphony played by a modular system. Must be one or two walls full of modular stuff I guess...

Well it's nice to dream, I continue dreaming and I guess & hope you continue making nice music ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Baltergeist,

Well... the Maths module, if the serial number is any indication of sold/produced items (which I somehow believe it might do), I got a serial number in the 10 thousands, 17-thousand-something is mine one. Whereby indeed other modules of Make Noise are rather in the few thousands and not in the 10-thousand area. Dynamix serial number is even lower than 700. So it could be roughly an indicator of quantity sold or at least produced?

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Modulargrid,

62k active members or 62k sold items on Market place?

Kind regards, Garfield.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBMIx4tBpZ6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's a dub reggae type thing I put together using the DivKid Ochd that arrived today. I liken this module to the lightning that brought Frankenstein's monster to life. Probably the best 4hp module you could buy outside of a Disting.
Thanks for checking it out.

Hello.

I have been rated negative by a user I have never even conversed with.

Please advise.

Thread: Change Log

Searchable User Messages

You can now search in your private user messages. This feature will be probably used by myself the most.

I keep coming back to this concept to think on it. What I'm going to do right off is to be more intentional about how I manage and separate sound within my modular. Mixing and levels, but also use of filters to control range and separation more effectively. I feel like I'm a being lazy here, especially allowing bass and mid-range sounds to run over everything else.

When I listen to some of my favorite synth artists on my current monitoring setup, their presentation is cleaner, crisper, and more polished than my own. I don't think I'm making the most of what is it front of me. I'll start there.

-mowse

Happy to share :-)
I also love to read how people are making music, so interesting to discover many little differences and ideas.

Cheers! ETA is mid July.

On ModularGrid we are currently 62.000.

Thanks again for a nice comment!
Symphony: It is maybe enough with about 40 new complete voices and a load of sequencers. So if I could convince my wife to sell our car it’s doable ;-)

Yup, I use Max (in its M4L incarnation) all the time...right alongside the Hewlett-Packard sine generators, the 1960s beatboxes, the wall of processors, the modular sandbox, the cool polysynths, etc etc etc etc...

A lot of the reason for WHY I have all of this stuff in one room is because, when I was still in academic study, I ran across two different professors who insisted that you had to keep all of these different electronic music media separate. And, frankly, I didn't see any rationale for that.

In one case, at the University of Tennessee, I got tasked to do a semester final project purely on the Synclavier. By that point, I knew how...well, ANAL...the prof in question was about the parameters of his assignments. But I also knew he was one of these guys that claimed he knew exactly what you were doing in a piece when, clearly, he didn't. The other thing he insisted on was that I had to use the "snazzy" new Yamaha automated mixer...piece...of...crap in full automation, synced with a set of visuals (slides, synced with a "buzz track").

Yeah, right. OK...first thing was, turn OFF the hideous moving fader nonsense. I'd been mixing without automation for about a decade at that point, and that was on big desks like MTSU's Harrison MR3. Then there was the Synclavier itself. First up, said prof made a BIG point of noting that Synclaviers have no noise generation capabilities...only pure sines and harmonics. Yeah, right. So, if I set the fundamentals for a patch at 1, 2, and 3 Hz, then start combining partials above the 16th harmonic at 100% level...oh, LOOK! NOISE! Sorta...but it needed a "touch", so I dragged the EML 200 out of the "analog" studio into the "digital" one and used it to nudge the FM pandemonium into the right "feel". I needed some delay as well...supposedly, I was to use resources in the Synclavier patch, but that noise-band thing really ate up the cycles. So...yet another no-no, I pressed the studio's PrimeTime II delay into service and futzed with the EQ to make it a tiny bit more "brittle".

In short, I broke pretty much EVERY parameter in the assignment. And what happened? Well...

I got a huge "A" on this, and the prof was utterly floored at my "command of the Synclavier". And at that point, I changed composition studios and kicked HIS sorry ass to the CURB.

It wouldn't have been possible to get that "A" had I followed his dicta. And I got it by doing these "forbidden" things, most notably dragging bits of one studio into another, where they presumably weren't supposed to be. Or at least, according to that clown, they weren't. That was Clue #1.

Clue #2 was when, upon arriving at Illinois, I discovered a situation where there were all of these "media separations" like that in the Experimental Music Studios, but to an even more fanatical degree. In fact, one night in the Moog studio I had to deal with some utter batshit insanity that went like this...

ME (talking to prof, who has just interrupted my session work for no good reason): Uh...about that pair of Symetrix gates. Where are the patchpoints for those?

PROF: Oh, you don't know how to use those.

ME: Excuse me? I've used things that're far more complex than them for years...

PROF: No...you DON'T know how to use those.

ME: [blank stare typically seen on my face when dealing with blithering idiots, followed by...] OK, right. Tell ya what...if I figure out where the patchpoints are, I'm going to use them ANYWAY, and I dare you to figure out where I did that.

PROF: [shocked look due to being unable to process dealing with person with real-world audio engineering experience]

Did I ever use them? Heh...but anyway, this nonsense was typical. It was SO typical, in fact, that Sal Martirano (who I was studying composition with while there, then later privately after I'd given up on academic composition) had found it necessary to set up a totally separate studio in the Comm West building about 1/4 mile away, and this was largely due to the fact that HIS explorations involved mixing the must-never-touch-each-other media to explore how primitive AI-type structures could be used for "directed improvisation". This was in early 1992, mind you; the only things like that were stuff like M, Max which was still really only on the NeXT as part of the ISPW rig, and things cobbled up by intrepid souls like...well, Sal. And it was Sal that encouraged me to combine as many working paradigms in one studio as possible. Even HE wondered what the results would be, and I'm glad I got to play him some of my very early efforts in that direction before he died in 1995.

So, for 25+ years now, my reasoning behind all of this gear is that there ARE things to be gained from combining all of these sonic vectors at will. OK, fine...this mid-60s Bruel & Kjaer filter isn't supposed to have a Roland TR-606 fed thru it...but what if you DO that? And of course, the results are very, very cool. Then whip that into Ableton, slap some Max-driven processing using a Lorenz attractor on it...yeah, baybee....filter it all through these Krohn-hite scientific-grade tube bandpass mo'fos and pump it into that cool new Neve-equipped Steinberg A-D to the 2-track (which isn't a 2-track because it's not even an effin' tape machine!).

THAT is how to do this. Careful combinations, like knowing when, how, and how much of a certain spice to use if you were a chef. But like I noted before, it really takes a lot of restraint to avoid wanting to slab every sonic generator and processor onto things. Some of that comes from knowing, simply, that doing so would be a hellacious amount of WORK. Yeah...uh, no. But also, from knowing that that's not a possible choice, and doing so more rapidly exhausts the possibilities inherent in tracking a few, specific, and well-crafted sounds because you're (futilely) trying to bring in ALL the possibilities AT ONCE. Not a good idea. But just like you don't play every string on a violin at the same time whenever the instrument makes a sound, you come to understand that there ARE limits inherent in a huge rig like this. It doesn't really want you to connect everything to everything else to generate...well, something dense and impenetrable that would probably suck on epic terms. Instead, you learn...or infer...what combinations TO use for just the right touch. And that's what makes this a lot like using a large-scale modular.

In fact, it sort of resembles that, when you take into account all of the routing patchbays in use in here. That's something from a different academic studio, though...specifically, the original one at Syracuse that was designed by some guy who knew that this was the way to make that open architecture work, the way to allow that interesting interconnectivity,...

...Bob Moog. I ain't gonna argue with that.

First live stream with Eurorack:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBJ5L64gFj4/

Bought an ES-9 from @Drazen
Smooth sailing, and extremely helpful.

Thanks @Drazen!

@Sweelinck

Yeah I too remember the Atari days fondly :-)

Too many.

bought from @hadj
perfect seller, thanks!

Looking forward for this one!