I decided on the Winter Modular Eloquencer. It looks like the best sequencer option for the way I like to work.
I'm sure I will share something soon. I hope you decide to share more of your music as well!

Thread: Happy 4th!

this user has left ModularGrid

This is my idea for a palette case build. I wanted to keep it relatively simple since it’s my first system. I can sync it to my DrumBrute or trigger it with my KeyStep (which can be powered by the nifty little 1U module up top). I think there are many wonderful sounds in the Plaits and I like that the filters can absolutely mangle the sound. This will be my first build and I’m open to any suggestions or criticism. Thanks for looking

Hey Wavne,

Wow! This is beyond enjoy, this is amazing and fantastic at the same time :-) And I am only talking about the harmonograph...

But then you connected it, with sensors, somehow the harmonograph with your modular system as well, that makes it even more amazing. From all the modular synth "usages" here on this forum, I think yours is the most amazing and beautiful way of combining two different devices so harmonious!

I would love to see more videos that combine this amazing drawing together with the music it creates with your modular synth! Beautiful!

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Farkas,

What sequencer did you give yourself? I hope you will make a demo track with that? Can't wait for that, I am sure you make something nice out of it :-)

As from Monday: Have fun with your new sequencer and till then have a great weekend, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Itsso,

Regarding your question: So, get those moogs out of the way. Does that mean that it is indeed a good idea to add a whole new chain to start building a proper eurorack setup in stead of just adding some FX?

That depends on what you want, either way is okay. You can either run a rack with your Moogs together or you make your rack an independent device; that still can run with the Moogs by the way. It's what you prefer :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hello,

I have been trying to design the perfect rack now for about two years. It has gone through many renditions, both in reality and in what I want to get out of it. I have a minibrute 2, along with the rack brute 6u, a digitakt, and a handful of the modules in this rack. I had a rene at one point, but never really clicked with it, and decided that sequencing within my rack took up too much space and wasn't really worth it. I am really comfortable with the Electron UI and sequencing, but I don't have a Midi to CV. I was wondering if anyone could speak on the FH-2? I've found a few videos about it, but none that pair it with the Digitakt.

At this point what I want out of my rack, is a complex monosynth with interesting modulation capabilities. I want the ability to sonically explore and have a device capable of working in any electronic music context. Drums I can handle with my digitakt, and I have a minilogue XD for polyphony/ pad sounds, so neither of those things are a concern. All I want is a robust mono synth that can inspire me and surprise me.

Sorry for this being rambling and all over the place. Would love any opinions. Please let me know if there are any gaping holes in this, or if you think I should switch out any modules. Looking to seriously invest in the next couple of weeks. Really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Rack

It looks like you have a lot sound generating capabilities already so let's think about playing live. You have a lot of synth here, but not too many ways of changing things around on the fly. You don't really want to be repatching things in the middle of a performance. So I would add a lot of switches, switched multiples, mutes, OR-combiners, and CV mixers.

I'm assuming you are mixing on a desk, but an audio mixer in your rack would give some extra flexibility.

Is your computer part of your live rig? If not, you may want more sequencing. I don't know the Rene or the Stillson Hammer, but I do know the BIA, and it can easily eat 10 channels of sequencer by itself. Even if you are using your computer you still probably want more sequencing, especially for triggers. I like the look of the Intellijel Steppy, but an external sequencer like the BeatStep Pro might be better for you.

What about hands on control? Are you playing this with a keyboard? You might find something that gives you a bit more expressive control to be nice, like a Tetrapad or a Pressure Points. Even a big old slider can good!

Hey folks,
I connected an 18th century harmonograph to a 21st century synth. Lissajous drawings, each with their own modular soundtrack.

You can hear the whole album here:
https://lomondcampbell.bandcamp.com/album/near-unison

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for your time, Garfield. I really appreciate your willingness to check out my strange art projects.
I love all of that early post-punk and goth (Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, the Cure, Bauhaus), and I love more obvious synth music like Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, techno, Aphex Twin, etc. I just like to see what genres my rack and I are capable of with some limitations. My new sequencer should arrive Monday, so I will probably start working on some more complex music soon.
As far as the videos go, I have a whole theme or philosophy behind the muddy distorted aesthetics. Maybe when I am done with this project I will clean my tape heads and put together something more clean and modern. :)
Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Rack was duplicated and re-ordered but data sheet claimed 3 more items than there were?
So emptied rack to see 'hidden' items but none there. Rack now empty but data sheet claims 3 items in it - rack is called B50 Rack Funny??

Thanks for the feedback, although next time you think a module is too evil, big, and scary, it would be much more helpful for you to write "I would replace module X with module Y for this reason..."

I think I laid out pretty clear criteria, and this rack wasn't built in one go, but rather put together to meet specific needs for film score requests over the last 4 years or so. The only "vanity" module at the moment is the Ensemble Oscillator, but it has a digital grittiness to it that can't be replicated as easily elsewhere.

Thanks for the tips! I guess I should have left the film part out as its a bit confusing. I'm not composing for film, I'm a sound editor and re-recording mixer. The music part is just a hobby, the work part less important. For some projects I already use some synths to shape noise or add electronic FX.

So, get those moogs out of the way. Does that mean that it is indeed a good idea to add a whole new chain to start building a proper eurorack setup in stead of just adding some FX?

Appreciate the help!

First up, get those Moogs out of there. This might seem convenient, but in reality it's a big money-waster and space waster.

Second, having done that, remove two of those cabs. Condense the remaining PROPER modules down into the remaining cases. You might also consider removing those mults, since the build would now be small enough that you won't need them, and anything of that sort can be done with inline mults. Plus, you don't have enough destinations for your pitch CV to justify buffered multiples anyway...only use these if/when you're branching off a single CV to more than three (as a rule) destinations to avoid voltage sag.

Third...and this is KEY if you intend to use this for film scoring...you need this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-fh-2-factotum And the reason for this is because you need to-frame sync for scoring, which means that your DAW will need to be SMPTE-capable, and it'll need to translate/lock the MIDI clock to/from that SMPTE clock so that your synchronization between film and sound is spot-on. The FH-2 is Expert Sleepers' clock-oriented MIDI-via-USB module, and you'll find it essential for locking up the Rene and the RCD to your visuals.

Hi Farkas,

How can a weekend better start than with a video track of yours? :-) The amazing thing I always feel with your tracks is that you completely make that with your modular system, that's pretty impressive!

At certain moments and parts of your music, it reminds me a bit of Cocteau Twins and earlier music of Dead Can Dance :-) So I guess your late 70s/early 80s fits quite well, I like those references to those "good old times" ;-)

Personally I wouldn't mind if you would clean your video/recording heads to get slightly bit clearer video effects ;-)
I am just teasing you! It's obvious you do this on purpose, nice that you used Cure material for that, not that much is left of it but it's nice to know :-)

But that's the fun-factor of your videos, it makes the listener and viewer curious to what you come up with next, so keep it coming and thanks a lot for having such a good start of the weekend! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Itsso,

I had a look at your rack, the size of the casing is okay but I would remove all those Moog modules and leave them in their own casing, that saves a lot of space and money on the long run. Considering that you want to create music for your films, why don't you take a workstation instead of a modular synth? A workstation is so much easier, has so much more sounds ready to start with? You might want to reconsider if you really want to go into Eurorack for the purpose you mentioned.

If you insist on staying with your Eurorack then of course I wouldn't stop you :-) But look then into less fancy modules and more classical components like VCOs, EGs, filters, LFOs and VCAs to start with. One or two effect modules perhaps, a mixer and an Audio Input/Output interface/module.

But please consider a workstation, I think for film music that might be an easier start. Good luck with the decision and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi BrainBasement,

Leave the free space as it is, don't fill up everything in one go, you need the free space for adjustments in your rack as well as your opinion on certain modules might change and that costs HP space :-)

If I were you I would ditch a few of those nice looking, fancy modules and concentrate a bit more on building up some experience and then slowly add more modules to the rack. So keep 1 or 2 rows free for the moment and start a bit smaller (it's good though to have a larger rack, so you don't need to buy a smaller rack the size of the rack is fine).

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Sumo,

You got quite some "bling" in your rack ;-) Or fancy modules, which is of course on one hand very nice, tough for a small rack like this perhaps a bit too fast to start with, reconsider the (larger) modules like: Rene, Falistri, Arbhar and Mimeophon. Also consider either a larger rack or plan less and keep some space free.

Since you have already planned a quad VCA, perhaps you can ditch the µVCA first and consider it for a later stage.

Beside (or instead of) the Stages you might want to consider additional EGs and LFOs as well. One more filter wouldn't harm either. If I am not mistaken, I only see one oscillator (Plaits)? Consider at least one more oscillator, an analogue one perhaps (VCO)? The combination of Plaits (DCO) and a VCO might be nice.

Consider to start with a few modules only, keeping some space free, build up experience and then add a few more modules, you will see that your opinion on the original planned casing might change here and there a bit. In general I would focus a bit more on classical components (like VCOs, filters, EGs, LFOs, VCAs, etcetera and a bit less those "real nice" (i.e. fancy) modules, that's more once you build up some experience with your rack.

Well, good luck with the planning, keep reading & checking on everything to obtain more information and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi OldTimer,

I am not sure if you have any external equipment? I guess the effects you will do with your guitar pedals?

Your original plan to use the Plaits & STO is I think a better idea than Plaits & Kinks. If I were you I would look into at least one more filter, I am missing LFOs I think, a Eurorack mixer before putting the signal to the outside world and do you have an external sequencer? If not you might want to consider that too.

The Maths is of course a good module but for small racks it's rather large, so you might want to replace it by a smaller more efficient module.

Even if you want to keep this as a small rack, go for at least 3 rows instead of just one here, keep at least one row empty for future use.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi,

I just gotten into modular with 2 moog a DFAM and a subharmonicon. As expected I went down the rabbit hole quickly and now I'm looking to expand my system. I have no experience with modular synths but I do have some basic knowledge about synthesis and electronics.

What I want of my system is basically more ways to explore new sounds. Some basic noise shaping to use in the films I work on but most importantly new ways to shape sounds and bring melodies to life. My Idea was to make a whole independent setup with modules I came to like in the short period I got into modular synthesis but it's getting a bit expensive and I'm wondering if I shouldn't focus more on just adding some FX to my moogs.

It would be awesome if I could get some advice as to how to go about expanding my current setup.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1257670.jpg

This is what I was looking at.

Thanks!

Bought modules from @Denev @Chris_Da_Break and another one from @loopspool
Happy to report quick and issue free transactions.

Thread: 3U BruteRack

Lugia thank you for the guidance. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Consider this pile binned!

Thread: 2hp Pitch

Does this module preserve harmonic ratios? I don't know what "time domain pitch shifter" means

This is my attempt at a late 70s/early 80s post-punk kind of thing. All of the music was recorded live on my modular in a single take with no overdubs, and the video is a glitchy lo-fi mashup of some Cure videos. If you like Seventeen Seconds and Unknown Pleasures, this is my amateur attempt at a similar vibe.
Furthrrr Generator, Plaits, E352, Blck_Noir, DrumF*ck, Gristleizer filter, and Milky Way

As always, thanks for allowing me to fill your time.

ModularGrid Rack

This is my current film composing setup. I have to be able to do a lot of different types of music, and this has been flexible enough to meet both ambient and synthwave musical needs. I don't currently use this to perform live, and I typically only record one or two voices at a time for practical (mixing) reasons. As you can see, I have some empty space, and I'm open to suggestions of modules that could add musical value. I'm looking for two types of suggestions: 1) modules that could make this also viable as a live performance rack or 2) modules that could add a unique sound for film scoring. Thanks!

Thanks for that thoughtful post Sweelinck.

If I can sort out the recording, yes I'll publish some on my Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dr-icy). But I'm having trouble getting rid of noise on low frequencies, maybe I should try the guitar-in setting rather than line-in on my 8 track. I'm sketchy on recording cos I haven't done it for 19 years.

Yes, playing with the modular reminds me of playing with real people. Before getting the DFAM the last music I did was an improvising band, but I was singing with them. I loved that. One of my friends is a super violinist and it was such joy playing with them. One of her mates has played with Joshua Bell.

Modular reminds me of when I first got a sampler nearly 30 years ago - an Akai SO1, baby Akai. It cost me two months' wages. I loved it, recorded with it and a cassette four track, just playing the buttons on the front. Maximum 15.6 seconds total sample time but 8 voice multi timbral in 1992! Never knew what new sounds might be found lurking in a messed up sample.

I intended to just get a few modules to support the DFAM and Delaydelus 2 which I bought, but I just went crazy for it and spent my savings on 9U of 84 HP. I don't regret it, it's what I was saving for really. I saw an Octocontroller for sale and had a look and thought yeah, I can go for this!

Oh, sure...it'll make sound. It just won't be nearly as controllable as you need or do what you have in mind. This has no VCAs, lots of modulation sources but little in the way of what's needed to properly control/attenuate them, no mixer, no no no no...not exactly a "useless brick", but not really anywhere near what you're looking for, either.

First up, delete this rack. Then, before proceeding again, spend a considerable amount of time in the forums (especially in "Racks") looking at threads which deal with generative systems. There's quite a few here. Get a good idea of what's REALLY necessary for this by observing the efforts of others who've created successful builds. And study what modular synthesis really requires; simply tossing modules into a cab is a great recipe for monetary loss and closet filler, and NOT a good synth. Also, if you're trying to do "generative", look into how that music is created...modular-wise, digitally via software such as Koan, Wotja, various Ableton setups, etc, and so on. If you don't understand the methods in play there, you won't be able to sort out how to implement them in hardware.

@Moanerette
Many thanks for entrusting these feelings and words to us.
You're nearly talking of your instrument in the same way as one talks about somebody he or she loves. I share the same kind of relation with some of my instruments: my modular, my piano, and I should say my whole home studio. It's like a second family, born 40 years ago.

There is no shame or loss when a violinist talk this way about his violin, particularly about some great or rare instruments. And I think a modular setup is to become as unique, special and personal (even private). The level of customization makes the rarity. Just as everyone is unique.

Although, fortunately (if I may say so), they have not the rarity and the price of the 'Vieuxtemps' Guarneri violin (you can take a look at this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieuxtemps_Guarneri), but our 'modest' modulars are for most of us unique and quite pricey...

Price of love? Surely for the sounds and the musics we can make with them.
Anyway, in the end we are very lucky willing victims, because we are definitely music lovers, not only technicians. Aren't we?

Please watch this video: the violinist Joshua Bell is talking about his instrument.
You will find the same feelings. It's even amazing to hear him saying the same words we use, and the same experience we share with our modular.

About the DFAM: it's a mighty and innovative synth!
I was more impressed by this module (or semi) than by the M32. DFAM is a world in itself. But I still tend to play it sometimes in a too much traditional way. You know, the first reflex to use it as an ordinary drum machine...

And here, thanks again to your post, you've chosen a right and nice word '...integrating... (my DFAM and rack)'. It's another answer to that thread. The pleasure of 'patching': ok, this freedom is tremendous. But beyond, 'integrating' is a better word because a more accurate point of view. I mean for producing an organic and living ensemble starting from solitary and inert pieces.

Creating life, that's all we looking for. And for this culmination, love is the key.

Will you publish the fruit of that night of love?
I would sincerely be pleased to hear it.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).
https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major/tracks

Hi everyone,

I'm finally starting a rack and would like to have some opinions on it! I currently have a 0-coast and a matriarch but I would like the modular to function as a whole instrument without having to pair it with other instruments.

The main purpose is to have fun and create interesting rhythms and melodic lines but also to explore a more cinematic soundscape approach if possible.

Here is the rack: ModularGrid Rack

The only thing I've ordered so far is the case/cables, BIA and Quadratt.

I'm still considering swapping the uVCA for something else, I'll start with Quad VCA and see what my needs are while patching before considering the uVCA.

I'm also checking other options instead of Cold Mac. The Survey knob is appealing to me but it seems that there are many cool logic/function modules out there and I would like to hear some opinions. I've checked Plog, Compare 2, Logica XT (unfortunate that it's odd number HP) and Mixwitch also..

The idea of getting a BeeHive instead of plaits is also on table, I'm hoping it isn't to hard to jam with the nano modules..

Thanks!

Thread: Change Log

Revert module rating

You now can revoke your rating for a module via the link Delete my rating directly on the module detail page.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

What do you think? Have I missed anything out? Any better alternatives out there. I plan for FX post rack, and to keep it 'small and perfectly formed' - partly because I'm new to this, and also because of financial reasons. I've already purchased Maths, Plaits and the Lxd so they are a given. Everything else could change. Any advice/comments gratefully received. Thanks.

ModularGrid Rack

When I put together a similar rack I added an Intellijel Dixie+ which has been incredible, and I'd add another if I wasn't rapidly running out of space. So, I'd suggest an analog oscillator, a Dixie+, an STO, or something in that vein. It's a radically different feel than the Castle but they can compliment each other really well.

To the effects, I haven't quite solved that myself, but it does seem to me like you have a lot already. Echophon + Erbe-Verb + Rings is pretty solid, but perhaps an Erica Synths Black Hole DSP, a 4MS Dual Looping Delay, or a Happy Nerding FX Aid?

Hi Gabor,

This is very interesting! I will be honest when I started this track, the first few seconds, I wasn't very sure... but wow, how you kick in one after another nice sound, making this... this... this composition I think it is, complete and how enjoyable it is the further you get into listening at your track, yes that's seriously nice and you have some very nice sounds up your sleeves here in this track for the listener.

Top notch track for me, thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Also, effects that make the sounds more rich/dynamic, or thicken up the sounds, would be interesting as well!

Three quick thoughts:

1) What music are you hoping to make here? The answer might be different for techno vs ambient (or both at the same time)
2) I have an Akemie and find that the XAOC Zadar is a fantastic modulation source for it as you can quickly pan through a huge range of sounds and you get four envelopes out of it.
3) This is a ton of support for just one voice (well two with Akemie). Not sure if this is a good suggestion or not but I'd try to fit another voice in there, analog or digital either way.
-- troux

Hi! :) Good points!

1) I'm interested in ambient (like Biosphere) and electronica (like Autechre).
2) Thanks for the tip!
3) So far, I've been meaning to focus on Akemie's Castle, and then to explore Rings (exciting it using external audio) and Morphagene. But I'm curious about ideas as to what additional, complementary, voice sources could be, though!

Thanks!

Three quick thoughts:

1) What music are you hoping to make here? The answer might be different for techno vs ambient (or both at the same time)
2) I have an Akemie and find that the XAOC Zadar is a fantastic modulation source for it as you can quickly pan through a huge range of sounds and you get four envelopes out of it.
3) This is a ton of support for just one voice (well two with Akemie). Not sure if this is a good suggestion or not but I'd try to fit another voice in there, analog or digital either way.

The top two rows here is my rack for working with Akemie's Castle:

ModularGrid Rack

The modules in the third row are modules that are currently unconnected, as I'm focusing on Akemie's Castle at the moment.

What do you think?

Do you have any suggestions for modules that could enhance working with Akemie's Castle?

(Modules that could enhance my work with Morphagene, or just be helpful in general, would be welcome as well!)

Thanks! :)

This one is more on the classical side, at least within my realm.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

@aze_007 bought my Tiptop Audio Z4000NS envelope generator. Great communication and super quick payment. Many thanks.

My basic question is will this configuration make sound. Is that the right kind of output module? I just want to make some beeps and boops y’all.

I’m new to modular and would like to build a generative/ambient system. Would this design work or do I need more utilities? Or did I just smash a bunch of stuff I thought was cool together into a useless brick? Kind of shouting into the void here any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I just patched all night, integrating my DFAM and rack for the first time. Really good fun. The combination of directing the sound and unexpected directions bubbling up as you go is so rewarding. I was even dancing at one point!

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Thanks a lot for your reply and honest feedback here, much appreciated! I like the reference to War of the Worlds :-)

I will keep those transition point lengths in mind and, yes, throwing in here and there some samples might be indeed a good idea.

Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Gabor,

Thanks a lot for your reply and kind words. Yes, of course, you right, no matter if you do something in 10 minutes or in one year, as long as you have fun with it and enjoyed making the music versus noise, it doesn't really matter. I agree :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: mantis case

Hi Nillus,

Right noticed, HP is valuable, so why not straight away taking a larger case? ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Ooo....
Eerie
War of the Worlds
Space
Twinkles
Birds in a forest
Sunrise
Happy

You want us to give constructive criticism yeah?
Some transition points could be extended between parts.

I used to fall asleep to music like this back in the 90's, Occasional bits remind me of FSOL, just throw in some scary samples or wash them in and out :)

Cheers

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hey all together,

thats the spirit, its all about creation and the fun while making sounds!

I am trying to make simple techno like music since I am 14 (I am 44 now) and I really like to share my efforts.

So yeah, keep it coming! :)

Best,
jingo

Thread: mantis case

Why only take Mutable originals. HP is valuable;)

Great work - thank you very much for all your efforts :)

Not at all, clearly you are extraordinarily intellectually challenged if you think that is what I am saying!

Best go back to not interacting on the internet if that's how you do!

Cheerio :)