Hmmm... Plaits, maybe? Has a wide variety of sounds suitable for drones and ambient with a built in LPG.

Thread: DivKid Ochd

The elusive Ochd just became available at Control for anyone in the US who has been waiting. Not sure how fast they will sell out.

Check out the Ieaskul F. Mobenthey modules for some wild chaotic stuff. I have a Zlob Diode Chaos that I like. It’s pretty similar to a Sloth.

That's so funny. The Noise Engineering panels don't bother me in the slightest. The Make Noise panels on the other hand...

Looks like a fun rack to me!
Just to weigh in on the drum discussion. It's definitely cheaper to do percussion externally. I tried that and found I liked the modular approach better for my workflow. It cost a small fortune, and it's a lot more limited than an external or software approach, but I just didn't enjoy working that way. I kind of appreciate the limitations to keep me creative.
The Moffenzeef Mito (sadly discontinued) is an amazing hands-on sequencing tool that I am using with the Buck Modular DrumF*ck (criminally overlooked glitchy drum module, but sadly no individual outputs per drum), Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and Endorphin.es Blck_Noir (for CR78 style post-punk and synthpop sounds). I may pick up a Bastl Noise Square and Skis to dedicate to even more percussion sounds. There are cons to this approach for sure, like Lugia mentioned, but we all find what works for us as individuals. I'm finding that drums are probably my favorite parts of my rack.
Let us know how your new investment works out.

I love all of the artists and styles you mentioned. In fact, the ability to build an insanely versatile instrument is why I went down the modular rabbit hole. I was just experimenting with some Cocteau Twins-ish sounds the other day.
Have fun and good luck!

One thing I have learned about my own workflow is that I mostly prefer larger modules with single knob-per-function. I have a 4hp Peaks clone that packs a ton of functionality into a small space, but man is it a pain to use. I kind of wish I had bought the 8hp version and sacrificed the space. Smaller is rarely better for me. I'm a tall guy with big hands, and getting my fingers into those little spaces when there are 50 patch cables plugged in... ugh.
Everyone works differently though, so you will have to get some modules in your rack and decide what you like best. Some people love menu-diving and button combinations and changing knob functions, but that's mostly something I avoid when I can.

I'm not very familiar with many of the modules here, so I can't really comment on the capabilities of the setup as a whole. I would recommend grouping your modules by type to make signal flow more intuitive (e.g. sound sources together, filters together, modulation sources together, sequencers together, etc.). I have a Void Modular VCA, and it's not too bad for the extremely low price. I may pick up the Entropy Cannon someday.
What kind of music are you making?

I think I would prefer the Intellijel VCA with switchable linear/exponential response and knobs for each channel. Unless you think you really need the ability to recall a lot of presets that the Malekko VCA provides, the Intellijel offers more control.

Thread: fun stuff :)

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool. You are probably going to want Lugia's take on this rack. I'm guessing he will likely tell you to leave the Moog semi-modulars in their factory cases and buy one of the three tier Moog stands for those.
Overall this looks like a fun rack. Are you planning to do all of your sequencing with the Moogs?

Good point about utilizing existing effects. Bastl makes that 5hp guitar pedal interface that might be a good option to eliminate some of the effects here. I’m sure there are plenty of other modules that do that too.
Just realized also that the Disting EX would add more sample playback options and an integrated recorder.

A few questions: What is your end goal with this? What kind of music are you interested in creating? Do you already have any other gear, or are you new to synthesizers?

ModularGrid Rack

This is a pretty good start. I reworked it some to give you a few new ideas. No worries if you aren't interested in my choices, but you might want to give these ideas some thought.
I mentioned in another recent post that BIA (and CI for that matter) need a lot of dedicated modulation to get the most out of them. With that in mind, I replaced Mimetic Digitalis, Maths, and Stages with the Varigate 4+ (4xCV, or 4xgate, or 2xCV/2xgate sequencer), Voltage Block (8xCV), Zadar for envelope generation, and 3xMIA and Links for utilities, mixing, attenuverting, etc. Your Quad VCA also serves as a mixer. To me, this gives you more options in the same amount of space. If you can figure out a way to fit a Disting in there too, you have an even broader palette. (You could probably fit a Disting MK4 if you went with one of the smaller Marbles or Rings clones instead of the full-size factory versions)
I got rid of the compressor because the LoFi Junky already provides compression (top left knob, Counterclockwise). The 4ms Listen IO gives you a line/headphone output and a line-to-modular level input. You mentioned that you are a guitarist, so it would probably be pretty fun to bring in some external sound directly. I'm guessing you already have some gear to convert your instrument signals to line level?
Overall, this looks like it would be a pretty versatile rack. Hope this gave you some things to consider.
Have fun and good luck!

You will need a LOT of dedicated modulation sources to get the most out of a Basimilus Iteritas Alter. Something like the Voltage Block. Check out Baseck's videos to get an idea of what's possible, but only with the right setup. The Disting will give you access to a vast array of possibilities, but it's not as fun to use.
I finally broke down and bought a Disting Mk4. I hate menu diving, but it's an insanely valuable module. I also have the BIA, and I would have to recommend the Disting first, for what it's worth.
Have fun and good luck!

I find myself using the Happy Nerding 3xMIA in every patch. I also use Links and Pique (After Later Audio’s Peaks clone) a lot.

This is the best post I've seen on this forum. I feel like I've learned so much here too, and it's cool to see someone achieve their dream. Thanks for sharing.

Thread: My Rack

I'm not that familiar with the Mutamix, but I don't think it operates as a traditional VCA. It looks like there is only CV control over channel muting, not over channel levels. You almost certainly would want something that serves as a combo VCA and mixer like the Intellijel Quad VCA, Veils, or the Zlob Vnicursal. You have also included two delay modules which seems a little redundant, but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish sound wise, so that's up to you.
A few more things to consider: Do you really need Data in your setup? It eats up a LOT of hp for what it does. I know Data looks cool, but is it going to be indispensable for you? I would recommend against it in a small first rack.
I know a lot of people love the Frap Tools stuff, but I find their interfaces confusing and unintuitive. As a beginner, might you be better served and more productive with something a little more straightforward like Batumi and Zadar for your modulation sources? Maths may be a better option here too.
Finally, there doesn't appear to me to be much rhyme or reason to the layout or signal flow in your rack. I would start by grouping oscillators/sound sources together, sequencing/clocks, modulation sources, effects, VCAs and I/O, etc. As it is, your rack looks really jumbled. Think in terms of an old school hardware synth's signal flow.
You didn't mention what type of music/sound you are interested in making, so it's hard to tell if the modules you have chosen will help you get there. Plaits is a decent choice for someone new to modular because you get a taste of many different sounds, and I know a lot of folks love the sort of aggressive digital sound of the Hertz Donut. Let us know what you are hoping to accomplish, and we can probably make some more specific recommendations.
Have fun and good luck!

The general rule of thumb is to buy a much larger case than you think you need (this is good advice). I would recommend something that is at least 6u 104hp (like the TipTop Mantis). The Pittsburgh Modular cases are really nice too. Plenty of built-in power and connections. I'm a fan of threaded rails too. Sliding nuts are kind of a pain.
Though I don't know what kind of music you are interested in making, or if you already have any external gear to integrate with your proposed rack, you are missing quite a few things that would make this a fun setup. You are definitely going to need VCAs and some sort of sequencing option. You will probably want more modulation options than you currently have. And how will you listen to your results? Do you need a mixer and an I/O module with a headphone output and/or something to convert eurorack levels to line level?
I would recommend taking a long hard look through this forum to see previous recommendations on beginner setups. You will find a lot of questions, answers, and recommendations to make your journey into modular much more productive.
Have fun and good luck!

I ended up deciding on the ladder filter. Less sound sculpting options, but it sounds so freakin' good. Thanks for the input.

I'll vouch for the Mantis. I have two of them joined together with the optional mounting brackets. They have plenty of power for my needs, enough connections for my needs, and are deep enough for my needs. I believe they state that the bottom row is 60mm or so deep, but with cables and everything installed it seems a little shallower than that. I would be hesitant to try to install any of the super deep Doepfer modules. Most modules fit perfectly though, just be mindful of module dimensions listed here on Modular Grid. I also like that I am not eating up hp with power modules.
It might not be cool to say, but the Mantis looks pretty good too. My wife calls it "the spaceship". I don't think I would feel comfortable taking it to a live gig, but it performs (and looks) great in the studio. I picked up a few Make Noise skiffs in case I need something more mobile.
If I hadn't decided on the Mantis, I would have definitely chosen one of the Pittsburgh Modular offerings. They are an excellent value.

Probably should have mentioned that my current filter situation is a Ripples, the FSS Gristleizer filter, and an Optomix. Sorry for the oversight. :)

I'm finally finishing up my rack (for now), and I've decided to add a nice subtractive voice to round it out. I tossed around the idea of adding a Moog Grandmother or Matriarch, but decided to keep it in the rack. I'm going to go with two AJH Minimod VCOs for sure. I'm usually pretty decisive, but I really can't choose between the Minimod VCF and the Gemini 2412 filter. There are pros and cons to each, and they both sound incredible with different character. I'm not necessarily trying to build a fully faithful Minimoog sound, just a really great sounding subtractive voice.
I am a little stuck. Any tips or user experience with AJH out there?
Thanks in advance.

Video Unavailable

I'm using WMD's Arpitecht with the Triad expander. The Chainsaw was designed to work alongside the Triad. I've been having a lot of fun with this combination.

Welcome! Looking forward to checking out your modules.
Have fun and good luck!

Good advice Kel. I forgot to include a disclaimer that by slowly buying one or two things at a time, you start to realize what is really missing from your rig. It's often not what you thought you wanted in the first place. Thanks for the reminder.
I like the few Mutable modules I have (except Clouds. Can't seem to click with that one. haha), and I definitely get a little frustrated by the space constraints of the MI clones. It's definitely worth having a discussion about the compromises between cost/space.

Also, the Peaks clone (Pique) has a lot of features including a Turing Machine, drums, LFOs, and more in a tiny package.

Hmmm... To keep it close to your budget, you will probably want to stick with clones of the Mutable Instruments modules. They are smaller, cheaper, and sonically identical. The only real downside is the ergonomics because of the diminished size. I would recommend a Marbles clone (Cara) for your random gates/sequencing interests. I believe it quantizes. I always recommend the Malekko Varigate 4+ sequencer for small builds as well: 4 CV or 4 gate or 2 CV/2 gate sequencing with quantization.
In regards to the video you shared and the Boards of Canada interest, you may want to consider the ZVex Instant LoFi Junky and a small multi-effects unit for the warbly, wobbly vibe. You could substitute a Rings clone instead of the Elements clone (Atom). I would consider adding some sample playback capability too (Disting Mk 4 and Radio Music) for the BOC feel.
I put together a quick rack based on your ideas with a Toppobrillo Stereo Mix 2 instead of the PanMix, though the PanMix looks cool. All of this would fit in a TipTop Mantis, supplementing what you already have, and still leave you a little room to grow.
Have fun and good luck!
ModularGrid Rack

Ah! I always wanted an Ion. Such a great sound and value.

I shared a short video clip on Instagram when I started it a few days ago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CABd5OCBYNq/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

However... I just unplugged everything and abandoned that track a few minutes ago. I got frustrated and moved on. Haha
I'll probably come back to the sound in a few days, but I couldn't quite get a decent song out of it yet. The Cocteau Twins-ish sound was Voltage Block -> Triad -> Chainsaw -> Milky Way -> LoFi Junky with an lfo modulating volume.

This is great. What did you use for the pad sounds?

Yeah, the Lofi Junky is basically Boards of Canada in a box. I have to use it sparingly so I don't end up sounding like a complete amateur Geogaddi ripoff. Haha. I'm actually using it on a track right now, though, and I'm getting some deep early Cocteau Twins vibes. It's really cool if used in moderation.

Always glad to help if I can. I have a similar background as you with many years of hardware synth and software experience, but I got a little disillusioned/uninspired with computer recording and stopped making music altogether quite a while back. More recently, I got super inspired by the possibilities of modular and dove back in headfirst. Best decision I ever made (though my wallet disagrees).
One of these days I'm going to have to get Akemie's Castle too. It sounds so good. My only connection to Max/MSP is I know that Autechre make some insane stuff with it. Maybe I'll find the beauty in software again someday.
Take care and have fun!

I quickly put together a similar rack based on your ideas that makes a little more sense for me, personally. It's a bit more expensive, but it seems like it covers most of the bases you might want. The reason people will tell you to go slow is to make sure you get the best outcome for your money. I planned a rack that was extremely similar to yours for my first purchases, and I'm glad I slowed down a little because I only ended up buying one or two of my originally planned modules. My original plan would not have been very fun at all. At least spread out your purchases over a few months... You will start to realize what you really need as you add a few things to your case.
Pamela's New Workout will be the master clock for your rack. This is how you would sync everything together so everything is in time. I'm clueless about Max, but I'm guessing your master tempo would come from Max through the ES9 into the clock input on PNW so everything is linked together (the ES9 also has a headphone output, so the HPO would be redundant). I also have no idea about the sequencing capabilities of Max, so I threw a Varigate 4+ in there so you can do some sequencing standalone, away from the computer.
Batumi and Zadar give you a huge variety of modulation choices with the 3xMIA serving as attenverters. You will want some plumbing, so the Links and Kinks suit that purpose. The Dixie II+ is a more fully featured VCO, and the Polaris filter is more versatile than the Doepfer, giving you something smooth and something more aggressive/acid-y in a single filter. I rounded it out with a stereo effects processor and a Disting to give you a bunch of extra functions. Others will likely have some good recommendations, so think long and hard about their advice.
Have fun and good luck!

ModularGrid Rack

As far as sequencing, I am a fan of the Malekko Voltage Block/Varigate 4+ combo in a smaller case. I recently picked up a WMD Arpitecht, and it's great for coming up with some melodic lines that can stay static or shift around. I'm having a lot of fun with it for straightforward leads/basslines, drifting ambient melodies (with random modulation), and chords using the Triad expander with an Acid Rain Chainsaw polyphonic oscillator.
VCOs are more a personal preference thing. I really like the sound of the Endorphin.es oscillators (Furthrrr Generator and Godspeed), but others would probably recommend something along the lines of the Intellijel Rubicon/Dixie combo, Verbos, or Make Noise DPO for a complex oscillator setup. The Synthesis Technology E352 is a super-killer versatile sound source for ambient stuff too (check out DivKid's video on YouTube). That might be worth a look for you.
For all of this stuff, I'm sure you would get a hundred different answers if you ask a hundred people, so your best bet is to check out a lot of demos to figure out your personal sound and workflow preferences.
Have fun and good luck!

You might want to instead take an output from your master clock (I like Pamela's New Workout for a lot of function, triggers, gates, etc. in a small space, and ease of use) to your modulation sources so everything is in time. That way you save your pitch CVs from the Mimetic Digitalis for oscillator/pitch duties. I have Maths and it can do a lot, but it's not always the most intuitive thing in my rack. It's cool because of how many different things it can do, plus it has attenuverters which you will find useful very early. Maths may be valuable for helping you learn some synthesis/modulation techniques, but you will have to read the manual (maybe a few times) and try out their patch ideas. A lot of people really fall in love with Make Noise stuff, but I'm one of those who likes a more straightforward readable interface. That's another beauty of Eurorack though! We all have different ways of working and patching. Experimentation is rewarded.
Have fun and good luck!

The beauty of modular, and Noise Engineering oscillators specifically, is in the modulation possibilities. The Manis doesn't have an assignable envelope like the Loquelic Iteritas Percido from what I can remember, just attack/decay I believe. Take a look at each of the Manis' inputs. Each of those is an opportunity to modulate a different parameter in different amounts and times. This is why you would want/need envelopes, LFOs, and random sources from the very beginning. Watch some of Baseck's videos on YouTube to get an idea how cool the NE oscillators are with lots of modulation.

Hi tegralogic. What kind of music/sound are you aiming for?

I agree with Kel. I find the E352 amazing in every way, but very clean and digital sounding. I added an Endorphin.es Furthrrr Generator as a sort of warmer analogue counterpoint. Something like that, or a Make Noise DPO, or even an Endorphin.es Godspeed might be worth looking into.

I've been using the Zlob Modular Diode Chaos a lot lately for this type of stuff, and it's making me really want to pick up a NLC Triple Sloths for more slow modulation. Zadar and Batumi also seem like they might be good candidates for you.

Looks like a killer setup to me. Would you find any value in the Quadrax gate expander for this rack? I use it all the time.
I'm thinking the Performance Mixer is going to be my next purchase. Seems like it would be pretty valuable for the way I work. I've also been eyeing the Ataraxic Iteritas, but I can't tell how flexible it is. Do you have much experience with it already?

Thanks for checking it out. I really appreciate your willingness and dedication to listening to all of us who post music here. It was fun to make something really quick to pay homage to the impact Kraftwerk has had on many of us. Take care of yourself, and have a great weekend.

Just had to record a quick lo-fi electro tribute to Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk, whose death was announced just a few hours ago. Kraftwerk's music is a major influence on me, as I'm sure it is for many of you as well, and I wanted to pay tribute quickly.

https://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/florians-blues

If you click the "Panel Selector On" tab in the upper right of your screen, you can select the black panel version on the module in your rack. I think the black panel is the second option.

Hi Garfield. Thanks for checking it out.
The patch was mostly just Rings with an Arpitecht clocked with Pamela's New Workout. I had a Zlob Diode Chaos slowly modulating the notes and rhythm parameters on the Arpitecht so that it shifted a bit over time, with the Odd output of Rings going through a Ripples filter, and both outputs of the Rings going into a Milky Way. I think I may have used some LFOs from Quadrax into the Ripples and Milky Way. You can sort of see the patch I used in the track photo on Bandcamp.
The only thing I did outside the modular was split the recorded one-take track in two within Garageband and layer the two halves so that they played off each other subtly with a tiny bit of panning. Fairly simple, quick, and lo-fi.
I'm typically inspired to make noisy, error-ridden, and glitchy music: Dark ambient, musique concrete, harsh noise, and that sort of thing, but I appreciate melodic and traditionally rhythmic stuff too.
Again, I really appreciate you listening. I'll be posting more experiments soon. Take care!

Not the usual sound I experiment with, but I'm enjoying the results.

http://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/forty-four-eleven-forty-four

Cool track and video. I'm digging it!

Pamela’s New Workout can do some Euclidean patterns too.