Glad you were able to gather something useful G00se222. I suppose your search for the right utilities will depend on the directions your music and overall approach to making music take. I like a lot of hands-on improvisation so a lot of the utilities and modules I've purchased reflect that, some with a lack of CV control over parameters that others would probably want CV control over. There are a lot of folks in here who take a generative approach and probably think that my choice of modules is completely ridiculous and unthinkable. I don't care for menus and unapologetically "digital" sounding modules all that much either, so most of my rack is kind of an east-coast analog subtractive kind of thing. Again, some folks would find that completely uninteresting, but I'm happy and that's all that matters when it comes to the personalized instruments we are all building.
While there are no modules that will appeal to every musician or rack configuration, one of the most useful utility type modules I've found is Happy Nerding's 3xMIA for attenuating, mixing, polarizing CV, etc. They've been hard to find recently, but definitely worth tracking one down. Warm Star makes a matrix mixer called The Bends that can do a lot of the same things. That's a fun module too.
Happy new year to you. Have fun!

Hey Farkas, first time post for me here, just wanted to say thanks for the insight into what you have learnt along the way, it helped me to read this as I am new in all this on my own as none of my mates understand the Euro rack thing so I get a lot of rolling eyes and "oh here he goes again.." comments ;)
I too started out by getting disillusioned with my synths and endless mixer /1/4 jack leads running across the room for years and I got to say I feel so much more liberated now within the ER format since selling everything in the summer.

It was good to read your thoughts on the do's and donts and all the mistakes that can be made following well intentioned "advice”.
As a 4 month in noob I've learnt a shed load already but I still feel overwhelmed sometimes on what utilities I need and understanding the mechanics of complex signal manipulation and patch theory. like MylarMelodies and your post pointed out you will know once you just started experimenting and practicing which modules are working for you and which aren’t.
Anyhow, great stuff & HNY22!

Hello,

I wonder if someone could give me some advice regarding a new modular setup.

I've had a larger modular setup for a few years, working in conjunction with an Octatrack. TBH I've struggled to get as much out of the modular setup as I would like, certainly in comparison to a "simpler" machine like a Digitone. I think this is because the modular is "boundless" - I seem to spend my whole time rebuilding it, rather than accepting its limitations and working with it.

To this end, for 2022 I've decided to split it up into more "playable" units (Intellijel 62HP) which will focus on doing one thing well and one thing only (rather in the spirit of the Perfect Circuit 54 series)

I'm going to start with beats -

ModularGrid Rack

Some of this stuff I already have (generally the voice stuff - Befaco, Erica Pico) and some is new (the sequencing side - Grayscale, Euclidian), for which I took heavy inspiration from @mylarmelodies -

What I want to know is - does this setup make sense, as a beat focused groovebox ?

• I want minimum three voices (kick vs Kickall, snare/hats via Pico VCO and Perfcall, claps and glitches via Pico Drum)

• on the sequencing side, I want the box to be able to generate interesting stuff on a standalone basis, and not always be triggered by the Octatrack; in particular I want Euclidian style rhythms (almost opted for 2 Euclid modules)

And questions -

• what are the best 1u module options for a box like this ? (I have zero experience of 1U and simply copied Mylar here)

• MIDI is very important; although my initial use case is standalone or simply clocking via the Octatrack, I want to retain the option of driving the box fully via the Octatrack, including modulation via MIDI CC messages or other

Am I missing any tricks here ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Haha. Yeah, noise is not for everyone. I grew up on pop and postpunk music but as I’ve gotten older I have moved towards the fringes. Minimalism, noise, drone, and experimental stuff… I think I appreciate the ideas more than the execution these days, though I still love well-crafted songs too. I doubt anyone would want me choosing music for a party nowadays (unless they want to hear an hour of Sunn 0))) or Richie Hawtin). Lol

wishbonebrewery—you can download any video from your YouTube channel (Manage Videos or Channel Content)

Also, there are Apps (programs) to download from YouTube like 4K Video Downloader and Gihosoft TubeGet.

All the best.
-- cmb_

Found it, and I can split the Audio off in Sound Forge.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

To get things back on track, I'm going to shout out to U-he CVilization again...its a matrix mixer AND wait there's more...haven't delved into all aspects of it but the matrix mixer and sequential switch capabilities are A LOT of fun so far.

JB

It’s a free country dude and you sir have the right to my opinion!

-- sacguy71

Agree everyone has the right to an opinion...to me, its sad that in this case, as you stated, your opinion was formed by something you 'heard' and not something you yourself saw and then formed an opinion on...but you let someone else influence you...to me that is a scary thing in todays society...we let the media (left or right) and others form our opinions for us instead of hearing all sides to the story and then forming an opinion. Haven't seen the new Matrix movie but I honestly did not see anything 'woke' in what I was watching on Wheel of Time and anybody who is seeing that has some deep seeded issues they need to work out...don't let them screw with your head like that.

JB

-- sacguy71

It's embarrassing seeing (presumably) grown adults say pants-on-head-crazy crap.

this user has left ModularGrid

Yea I heard that the new Matrix movie was a wokefest of bad fan fiction. Same with the Amazon Wheel of Time show that was a hot mess of woke race swapping and far left man hating LGBTQ agenda that disgraced the awesome Robert Jordan novels. Oh hell, guess it’s old movies, books and modular synths for me til this bad agenda ends.
-- sacguy71

This is some fascist garbage that has nothing at all to do with Matrix Mixers, modular, or even the real world. Keep that garbage to yourself and maybe think about why you feel so threatened by casting choices and LGBTQ acceptance, my dude.

On topic, the AIS Matrix Mixer is great and an easy DIY project. I use it constantly. It's nothing fancy but it's dirt cheap if you do DIY.
-- blambo

Merzbow (and all of the harsh noise stuff) is an acquired taste. Tread carefully. Haha
Here's an Oren Ambarchi track that I've had on repeat recently:
-- farkas

Ok, well I'll just have to consider Merzbow my scotch of music because thats not a taste I'll ever acquire...lol
A couple Oren Ambarchi's things I found were ok...what I really liked of the artists I've not heard of were Drexciya and Prefuse 73.

JB

Yea I heard that the new Matrix movie was a wokefest of bad fan fiction. Same with the Amazon Wheel of Time show that was a hot mess of woke race swapping and far left man hating LGBTQ agenda that disgraced the awesome Robert Jordan novels. Oh hell, guess it’s old movies, books and modular synths for me til this bad agenda ends.
-- sacguy71

This is some fascist garbage that has nothing at all to do with Matrix Mixers, modular, or even the real world. Keep that garbage to yourself and maybe think about why you feel so threatened by casting choices and LGBTQ acceptance, my dude.

On topic, the AIS Matrix Mixer is great and an easy DIY project. I use it constantly. It's nothing fancy but it's dirt cheap if you do DIY.

This is the TipTop Happy Endings 84HP 19" rack-mount kit.
It's designed to go in my yorkville studio desk with the small and medium reverb tanks mounted under the monitor bridge

I never finished LOTR - and developed a dislike for fantasy at the same time - can't even keep awake during the movies - much more into sci-fi - Jim has been my nickname - for nearly 50 years - because I convinced my parents to get me out of bed to watch the first UK re-runs of Star Trek (which was shown at 11pm) when I was 3!

All of William Gibson's novels are excellent, imo - but starting with the sprawl trilogy is great - Neuromancer used to be re-read by scientists every year - so they could check of what had actually been invented!

I also really like Neal Stephenson when it comes to cyberpunk...

If you want something a bit farther out than cyberpunk - then Iain M Banks is difficult to beat - the 'culture' novels in particular - and pulling back some of his 'literary' novels - under Iain Banks - are what could best be described as 'speculative' fiction - and if you've never read it 'The Wasp Factory', is definitely worth a read

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

I started reading the Wheel of Time books after how bad the show on Amazon was and delighted to enjoy the books a lot. Lot of reading though 15 novels each between 600-1000 pages in length so I am putting my fantasy speed reading skills to test. Lord of the Rings and the Dragonriders of Pern are still my favorite fantasy series of books though. If you liked the Matrix movies, I highly recommend the Spawl trilogy of cyberpunk novels starting with Neuromancer. Quite excellent reading and shorter in length.

TumeniKnobs, Thanks for checking it out and the encouraging words. Yeah, that's what I'm after—soundscapes or sonic landscapes and atmospheres.

wishbonebrewery—you can download any video from your YouTube channel (Manage Videos or Channel Content)

Also, there are Apps (programs) to download from YouTube like 4K Video Downloader and Gihosoft TubeGet.

All the best.

I want to wish you all the very best for 2022!

throws some save fireworks
-- M01C

Same to you in 2022...very clever modular fireworks there! :)

-- jb61264

Cheers!

Hi Klaussualk,

There is really no reason not to buy this module, the reason why it's limited to 1 A (1000 mA) is just because of the above mentioned reasons. Since this module is limited, there is no reason at all to be scared to use it. So you can just go ahead and get that module, if that's what you like.

The above mentioned examples are only applicable if there wouldn't be a limitation (of for example) 1 A.

Happy New Year and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Farkas,

Thanks a lot for this great recommendation, I have put Oren Ambarchi (new to me) to my wish list of music on CD/LP to listen :-)

Happy New Year and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi All,

Happy New Year to everyone! Stay healthy and let's hope 2022 will be a great (modular) synth year :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Yes, that’s part of the music. That sound is all over the album. Definitely interesting.

Merzbow (and all of the harsh noise stuff) is an acquired taste. Tread carefully. Haha

-- farkas

Interesting...is it my headphones or is it just part of the music that I hear lots of clicks/pops whenever a sound seems to be triggered?

JB

Happy New year.
I'm very sure the first thing I made was really simple and would have been a 2hp Pluck going through some Reverb and I was sending it Triggers from a Roland Boutique Sh-01, that made me happy though and look at the rack mess I'm in 2 years or so later :)
-- wishbonebrewery

Wait, does this mean brewing my own beer is the next step in modular? ;) Looks like a really nice mess that you have setup there. Interesting you're triggering from your SH-01...I'm sort of in a similar learning curve with sending and receiving stuff from modular to my Hydrasynth desktop

-- jb61264

I just realised, The TR-09 for Triggers, used to be hooked up via Midi to the SH-01 for Pitches and gates. I don't do that now but thats how I started out.

Cool...I have a TR-8S that I'm using as my main source for drums...it in itself is quite the rabbit hole of learning and integrating into Ableton Live

JB

I think this is a great community of diverse opinions. I appreciate the 'rigid' opinions and advice for what they are....some I've taken to heart, some I've taken with a grain of salt and tried something different than what was recommended. In the end though I believe you are right that its a personal journey. For me, I had a vision of what I wanted my system to look like and after nearly a year, I have pretty much arrived at what I wanted...complimentary modular to a couple of synths and a drum machine separate from modular and everything interfacing with Ableton Live with the ability to use the CV capabilities built into Live...all the while asking questions, appreciating the diverse responses and opinions and making a decision based on that and the research/reading I do outside of MG. I only have a Rackbrute 6U and Rackbrute 3U for modular and honestly, I'm feeling ok with that for now. I have so much to learn and experiment with. I can see myself getting another Rackbrute 6U at some point to attach to my Minibrute2 instead of the 3U and using the 3U as an 'experimental' box of sorts. I like the construction of the Rackbrutes and the flexibility they offer for transporting and mixing/matching with the other devices I have. I only bring that up because its probably one of the areas of modular where I've taken more of a fork in the road from the advice of getting a big rack but I appreciate where that advice comes from for sure. we have some similar musical tastes but thanks for shouting out a couple I've never heard of (Merzbow, Drexciya, Oren Ambarchi...will be taking a listen to these in the coming weeks). Much of what I want to evolve my music to is heavily influenced by a lot of the sounds/songs The Crystal Method produces...but I have quite a wide scope of genre's I see myself getting into along the journey.

JB

Happy New year.
I'm very sure the first thing I made was really simple and would have been a 2hp Pluck going through some Reverb and I was sending it Triggers from a Roland Boutique Sh-01, that made me happy though and look at the rack mess I'm in 2 years or so later :)
-- wishbonebrewery

Wait, does this mean brewing my own beer is the next step in modular? ;) Looks like a really nice mess that you have setup there. Interesting you're triggering from your SH-01...I'm sort of in a similar learning curve with sending and receiving stuff from modular to my Hydrasynth desktop

-- jb61264

I just realised, The TR-09 for Triggers, used to be hooked up via Midi to the SH-01 for Pitches and gates. I don't do that now but thats how I started out.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

-- sacguy71

I read all of the Wheel of Time books, they are third only to my favorite...Tolkien and my second favorite Sword of Shannara (which I would definitely call a butcher job when they adapted it to a tv series...and why it only lasted two seasons no doubt...i couldn't watch it past the second episode it was so bad). However, I would have to say while WoT strays a bit from the books, I'm ok with it...IMO, the production is done really well and I'm thoroughly enjoying it for what it is. My wife and 15yr old son have not read the books and are really into it. I'm not a Matrix 'purist' so I will probably just enjoy the movie :)

JB

Is anyone else finding that some settings fail to survive a power cycle? I have one specific setting that resets on channel 5 every time. The wave form always returns to random instead of the default. Despite the fact I reset the channel every time I power it up. Reported to ALM, but no answer after a couple of weeks.
-- mntbighker

I just ordered PNW...I'll definitely be on the watch for this when I get it installed and running.

JB

Holy crap there is a lot of good stuff on this thread...I have a long ways to go before I submit anything this good, but I have an entire year to get better before 2022's thread :)

JB

Very nice way to close out 2021! Happy New Year!
Was the Moog setup where you began? My son has the DFAM and Mother-32 and wants to eventually have the trifecta setup with Subharmonican....what is the fourth device in there?

JB

-- M01C

Same to you in 2022...very clever modular fireworks there! :)

JB

Happy New year.
-- wishbonebrewery

JB

Happy new year to you @jb61264. I'm glad you are here. Looking forward to hearing your music in 2022!
-- farkas

Thanks Farkas! Looking forward to getting over my fear of sharing something I've created

JB

Thread: Intellijel

Mixer with mutes

My 4ms Ensemble also crash after a few days running. My case is an Erica Synth Skiff Monster Case. Where can I download the new firmware?

Happy New year.

Hey, thanks....
I think this was more luck than planning, it was a case of a couple of Sine waves hitting a wave folder with plenty of modulation, then going through a filter with more modulation before going into Disting's Stereo Tape delay and and a heavily modulated Clouds, though then there are 2 other parts as well with everything coming from Marbles for control.

before you fry your machine with some malicious program, you can also try to pull the MP4 from youtube (in the videos settings when logged in) and then render only the audio with a program like Premiere Pro or even Blender (free, but a little weird for this task)

-- zuggamasta

I never realised you could do that, I did find a website that lets you paste in the video link to YT and then spits out an Mp3.

Happy new year to you @jb61264. I'm glad you are here. Looking forward to hearing your music in 2022!

So, I'm only 9 months into this journey and just want to reach out to everyone to say thank you. This really is a great community of diverse opinions that are always willing to listen and provide useful information in the sometimes difficult daunting space of modular. I haven't yet shared anything because for the most part anything I've really done really kind of sucks compared to all the other great music I hear by users on the forum...but I am starting to get the hang of putting things together and making progress...promise to come out of my 'sharing shell' in 2022 :)

I wish everyone health and happiness in the new year...may this next trip around the sun be everyone's best yet ahead.

Happy New Year!

JB

which tiptop - I've never had an issue with my mantis - not tried the other ones

hope you can get it sorted out - good luck!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Happy New Year and thanks for the energetic live jam!

4MS Pod, Intellijel Pallet and TipTop. It lives in a 4MS Pod.

what power supplies??

@mntbighker, have you contacted Paul about this?
-- JimHowell1970

Not until I have a chance to test on each of my 3 power supply options in my rack. Most builders don't care much if their module survives running for hours or days. It's a pretty edge case I feel.

Is anyone else finding that some settings fail to survive a power cycle? I have one specific setting that resets on channel 5 every time. The wave form always returns to random instead of the default. Despite the fact I reset the channel every time I power it up. Reported to ALM, but no answer after a couple of weeks.

edit: It's getting worse, now three channels lose settings after a power cycle. And not to the default mode either.

Happy New Year!!

Closing out 2021 with some live jams. Happy New Year to all of you!