I have used hardware synthesizers before. I used Elektron DN and M:C until recently. I then had a Pulsar 23 on loan for a month. That changed everything for me, I miss the melodic part with this synth but the linking of dots and the tinkering and losing in such a direct way of working has kept me going ever since.
I'm now reading a book about synthesis, it's very dry but easy to understand, I just can't think of the title. Back to my project.

I would like to perform with the modular synth. In the beginning maybe in combination with the Model Cycles, later I would like to get another 104hp case and build the drum part in it. I've limited myself to intellijel because I'm on the autism spectrum and because I think it makes sense to use the design / workflow of a manufacturer. I always read how others like the variety of advantages of Eurorack. I love limitations and at the same time the idea of a well thought out concept. I have of course looked at many manufacturers. I also liked ALM - both the sound and the ideas. I'm thinking about building my drum part with it (I really like the FM synthesis of the MS and they seem to have a thing for it). Although I also really like Plonk from intellijel. I could imagine two or three in a row.

I have considered whether the Cascadia would also be an alternative but semi modular feels too indecisive for me at this point.

Oh well, I had a question about my rack. Does it make sense? What else could be added to u1? For performance I would still have to harmonize the M:C - even if it might be more exciting without MIDI. No matter

I look forward to any objections and suggestions. Thanks a lot

Tipasa

This makes me drool .... :D

what is missing is all the other stuff, utilities, modulation and so on, but maybe you only need a few to compliment your atlantix.

Greetings

Chris

So what is installed in the Atlantix is not enough to get sound out of it? It reads differently on the Intellijel homepage.
I thought this more "complete" synth would save a few modules. Q: "[...]Dual VCOs, Multimode VCF, VCA with Drive, and an ADSR envelope" What would be useful then? LFOs? CV?

I could laugh too, but somehow I wouldn't have the time to react to your answer like that - because then I would laugh and do something better with your time than answer you. So if you have any useful thoughts, please let me know, otherwise save your time and do something nice with it.

Or can't modular just be modular? That sometimes seems to be a problem for some, that access becomes easier thanks to such modules and that somehow scratches some people's ego - does it have to be deadly complex to be modular?
Then perhaps the Cascadia would be better because it has lots of tools?

Metropolix, Atlantix and Sealegs are very nice and powerfull modules.
I guess a great combo and I would love to have them. They are bit like the rolls royce of modules. High quality and features.
Its pricey, but awesome.

Yes Atlantix is a complete voice and this saves some modules. So this is a good idea. Because this gives a good ground and you may only add some small modules to get more out of it.

Utilities are very important and its always good to have the basic ground covered. But this can also grow with time.

It can be a interesting approach to start with these 3, to experience the limitations and to add was is missing later. I guess, modulating these 3 on itself could be fun.

Modular can be everything, it doesnt have to be complex, as long as you like it. And even with this 3 modules you can do very complex stuff.

In general, I would recomment to get a bigger rack at the beginning.
Its good to leave space to build around the Atlantix.
Because if you start with these 3 modules, you will see very quick, which functions are missing.

This will be probably small utilitie-modules like: a mult, attenuverters, a dedicated LFO, a mixer for cv, more random, logic modules, clock dividers
It always grows. So better leave enough room for it - or you have to buy another case again.
One 1U row is not enough space for that, in my opinion.

something like Pamelas Pro Workout could be useful.

Atlantix and Cascadia are different in character, so its a matter of taste, which you like.

Plonk is very cool. But be aware, its menu divey. I have Plonk and I love and hate it. I think 1 Plonk is enough, its very deep and complex and you can save and load drum kits on it, which can be sequenced. So you can get very much out of only one.

Greetings

Chris

I don't think they meant that without utilities and modulation, you wouldn't be enough to make good sounds. The Atlantix can totally function on its own as a synth voice sequenced by the Metropolix and be patched and repatched to do crazy stuff. However, things like

• free-running LFOs and function generators with loopable envelopes that let your sounds get off the grid
  • VCAs for controlling levels of not just audio, but also CV to make things extra dynamic
  • envelope followers to have very specific experiments in modulation shape
  • switches of various kinds to move and route signals in unique ways
  • clock dividers to give more varied timing events in your setup

...are very simple circuits in the vein of classic modular, but they will make your one synth voice suddenly feel like a massive environment that is constantly evolving. There are obviously so many other random things I can't get into here because it would take too long, but these little things are where the fun it. Atlantix has the sample and hold, noise, rimg mod, and lots of cool stuff if you want to start here and get comfortable, but that's only the beginning.

I would recommend looking at these modules: Make Noise Maths, Make Noise Function, Divkid Ochd, Doepfer Octal Linear VCA. You don't have to buy them to get going (or at all), and this stuff you have in the picture here would be a good start while you ponder what else you might want, but at least look at these modules as stuff your module doesn't have that might complement it well.

You may want to consider getting the Metropolix Solo, where it has its own case with MIDI in and out. This will free up space in your rack to have other cool stuff without anything being too cramped.

Do you already own any of this?

Hello, first of all, thank you very much for the super detailed answers. I take everything back and apologize for my hasty response.
It makes more sense the way you explain it now. I was thinking about two identical cases because then I can set up one flat and one at an angle. Nevertheless, with the dust cover they remain handy for traveling. There is also the 2x 104 Travel version from Intelligenz. Here's my other idea - that would be a future setup for me + plenty of space for more.
So far I've only used grooveboxes for my gigs. However, in the end it was more of a "playback" of previously produced things. I would rather practice something over and over again like I do with my guitar (I can memorize it well) and then perform it. Of course, you can also do that with semi-modular - it would probably be just as expensive.

metropolix standalone + cascadia + Model Cycles (as an example)

Since I come from a classical music background, an instrument for 4 - 5000 $ would not necessarily be unusual. But again, I would buy used modules if possible and I really like the Atlantix from the demos.
The idea of perhaps switching completely to modular at some point also seems very appealing. At the same time, it seems like opening Pandora's box, once opened there's no going back - of course that's just a perceived truth.

Couple points on your setup above:

• ! Don't forget you have existing utilities already built into the rack (Mults, MIDI in)
• You probably don't need that 2hp Mult when you have 3 x 4 = 12 mults above.
• You can free up 3U space by getting the MIDI 1U and linking it to your case's MIDI IN instead of uMIDI.
• Also see the Steppy 1U instead of the 3U.
• With the room you save you can get a Triplatt and Mixup, and scrap the Quadratt in the 1U
• You could also remove the Amp and get the Quad VCA.
• If you want to perform, why not get a Planar and remove the 1U crossfader.

Also consider shifting a few modules:

• Metropolix and Atlantis both have outputs at the TOP. They should be at the bottom of the rack. Otherwise you will have to draw your patches downward over the controls, obscuring them. And that Gx will probably need a custom cable to extend to the other 3U bar—but hey, it fits! Do what must be done.

Here's my sketch:

Things to consider.

I need to take a closer look at some of the modules you have selected. Read the instructions, watch YouTube videos to see if it works for me, but your explanation of the connections and where they make more sense in the case is very good. Thank you for making the effort.
If I were to split this into two 104hp, I would automatically have a little more space in the u1 row. What would then make sense with the output would be a mixer to bring the individual tracks together.
Thank you! nice help!