Thread: Marketplace

Hi,

Could you please advice sellers to name the location a little more detailed. Maybe in the default classified description text as a default header (like condition and shipping).

good idea, I have added that.

Also:
The good traders thread is well intended but do you really expect people to go thru all the posts to find the one guy?

You can search the thread, search input field top right.

If you are serious about that, you need a feedback form on each member profile and a way to determine if a member is a allowed to review the other. Maybe if you add a field for buyers name when the seller clicks the "sold" button?
-- lpzw_modules

I know it's not very good like it is and needs improvment. The rating can not be only done by the seller, it has to work in both directions. Maybe something like a friend system where you can see if a guy is connected to others? I know some people have a strong dislike for everything facebookish so it has to be thought out well ;)

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thread: Change Log

Full Width layout

The rack browser and module browser now have a full width layout which adapts to the browser window size. I think it makes sense to better use the space on bigger screens.

Small changes to the search form

• Advanced Search is gone. I think nobody used the standard search anyway.
  • Small improvements of the search form layout (it is now a flexbox)

I feel your pain. At least the modules with discontinued in the title are correctly tagged as discontinued.
To prevent the reverts in the future I have put a red alert label to discontinued modules in the module browser. Maybe that will help.

Image handling optimized

• Images are generated with better encoding
  • HiDPI/Retina Images are only served to HiDPI capable devices

Everything should feel a tad snappier now.

Tags don't overlap anymore, sorry it took so long ...

No more overlapping tags

Finally changed the CSS so that the function tags don't overlap other info in the module browser anymore.

Endless Scroll in the Racks browser

The rack browser works now the same way like the module browser. That is you can just scroll down to see every of the 80.000 public Euro racks.

Thread: Pedalgrid

What are the specs for the image you'd need? I might be able to provide one at some point.

Just a big jpg > 1500px

John,

It WOULD be great though if you could just add a "DIY Black" option, or add a color option to the DIY Plywood one, which ever is easier.
-- JohnLRice

it is now possible to just not select any pedalboard and drop the pedals direct on the floor. We have the neutral and concrete floor. Is that enough? Else you have to provide a "black power coated metal" royalty free hires background :)

I love pedalgrid! Only thing that bothers me is I don't want to choose a pedal board (or even DIY plywood) - just put them directly on a floor of choice. Still would like to choose the size for the surface I put them on (like the DIY option).
-- KNYST

We have that now!

1. allow the addition of "outside modules" i found the planner to be TOTALLY useless because it didn't include modules i'm interested in

You can upload modules yourself

particularly the metasonix rk2 xs-vca (tube VCA) which i consider essential.

That module is listed here

1. add HP as a search term. when building racks, it gets harder & harder to finish them, especially when there's an odd number of HP available. searching for 1hp yields SOME results, but i'm positive not ALL. it should not only be a search term that helps people fill all available space, but it should be linkable to module types eg. 9hp filter (if any exist)

It already works that way. You can search for 9HP filters.

1. you need more categories.[...]

It has it's pro and cons. We try to keep the function list lean. That is more useful for beginners

1. offer module color as a search filter. i can't stand the look of mismatched racks and would add a row just for black modules and fill that up with whatever before building a mismatched

that is a good point. But it's one thing to provide a search filter and an other thing to set the color value in the 4000+ modules. Still I put this on my dev list.

1. fix your forum tex editor that can only count to 2. this is idea #6 even if the text editor hides it. apparently, when you create a second paragraph in a numbered item, the forum IGNORES YOUR numbering and resets the list to 0. i had to merge paragraphs to fix what your text editor broke

I see, but it is not easy to fix. This is a Markdown editor, similar as on Reddit or Github. I am using a 3rd party PHP module for the parsing. For (PARAGRAPH) hit enter twice or add two spaces at the end of the line.

1. speaking of hiding... DON'T HIDE MODULE REVIEWS!!! i look at a module that supposedly has 47 reviews, but go to the page... nope... no reviews. i haven't tried it since joining, but it should be public info seeing you advertise it. i despise such bait and switching

That is a misunderstanding. You can rate a module with 1 to 5 stars. Those 47 reviews are actual user votes for the specific module.

just put them directly on a floor of choice. Still would like to choose the size for the surface I put them on (like the DIY option).
-- KNYST

Good idea, this will come.

Please increase the max. allowed eurorack case hp width. I have a case that's two rows of 200hp each and can't add it because the max. width seems to be 168hp atm ;)
-- BigElbowski

Let me introduce the premium account to you: Unicorn Account

I noticed a bit of a bug.

A bug indeed. That should be fixed now.
Thanks for reporting, John!

Pedalgrid

Added pedals and stompboxes to the supported ModularGrid formats. The planner is very basic but may work good enough.
There are nearly 500 pedals already, I hope it will grow.

Advanced Pedal Uploader

The pedal uploader is capable to cut white background out of JPGs and convert them to transparent PNGs.

Support for transparent PNGs

Transparency of modules and pedals is preserved after upload.

Cleaned up CSS

Cleaned up the CSS files which were cluttered with hacks to make old browsers work. No support anymore for legacy browsers, it's not worth it.

the pedal becomes quantized and it's very difficult as it forces you to place some pedals half-on and half-off the board.

Thanks for reporting. I have disabled that snap feature for now. Maybe it will come back with an option to turn on/off.
And thanks for helping to upload the pedals!

Who is using that Strymon Big Sky or EHX Small Stone pedal with the modular?

Exactly, everyone!

Guitar Pedals are natural companions for modulars and even many modular manufacturers are coming from the stompbox DIY scene.
So we thought ModularGrid should support pedals, too.
Here you go, click around and tell us what you want to see improved.

If you want to help to make it better:

• upload one or two pedals because the database seriously lacks content
  • report any technical hiccups

We will see how many of you gals and guys will use the pedalgrid and then decide to go further or leave it as it is in beta status forever :)

The default format on ModularGrid will always be Eurorack. But we have a shortcut URL for the pedals, too:
It's http://pedalgrid.net

3) Export owned modules as CSV or similar, which has been requested a while back:

Would also like to see an Excel-compatible spreadsheet of the modules generated from the program.

A CSV export might be possible, I will look into this ...

Any progress?

Unicorns can just add .xml or .json to the end of the URL of a rack.
e.g.
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/223662
->
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/223662.xml
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/223662.json

Not CSV but maybe a useful workaround?

Rollback: Duplicate out of bounds modules

If you duplicate a rack, all modules outside of the rack (angry cat mode) will be duplicated, too.

• The Top Modules and Popular Modules lists were generated in realtime and needed 15sec to be called. They are cached now. Cache is refreshed every 2h.
  • Modules can be correctly sorted alphabetic now in the marketplace list view.

Thread: Marketplace

Sorting modules after Module Name doesn't seem to work properly - at least not when I'm trying to.

Thanks for reporting. I did a fix. Modules are ordered by their names now.

Some are sorted correctly, some not. Personally, I would prefer the option to sort primarily after Manufacturer, and secondarily after Model. =)

That is a bit complicated in the marketplace list.
But you can do that in the module browser! E.G.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchMarketplace=3&SearchShowothers=1&order=manuf&direction=asc

That link shows you all modules from the marketplace sold in Europe ordered by manufacturer. You can use the standard search elements to specify the search, e.g. show all 8HP VCAs sold in USA.

As a complement for the page buttons (1, 2, 3, etc) I would very much like a Show All button. This way I can use the web browser's search function to quickly find what I'm looking for.

Have to test if this would impact the server too much ...

How to deal with dubious traders? Please discuss in this thread.

The marketplace exists for 2 years now. It's a place where strangers buy and sell stuff over the internet and so I am somewhat amazed that I am hearing very little complains about dubious transactions.

But there are people who had problems. For them it is worth nothing, that it's working pretty fine for everyone else.

In most cases people complain about defective modules, but there are cases where users reported that they never received anything. When two parties are involved there are always two opinions. One shouting fraud, the other shouting liar.

I have no idea how to deal with these situations and I cannot decide who is right and who is not.
I have a bad feeling about banning people on the call of others. I am also not sure if a bad trader thread won't lead to even more drama when users find themselves wrongfully on a list.
I like to hear some opinion.

Added price an region to the email notification you get, when someone places a module on the marketplace.

Fixed spammy email behavior

There was a problem with the notification mailer on the marketplace which resulted in lots of identical emails send several times.
That is fixed.

I look into this.

Improved keyboard shortcuts

• Use , and . to push modules to the next adjacent neighbor.
  • a new overlay explains all shortcuts

Caching behavior improved in Command Center

After editing racks people often saw old thumbnails of their racks in Command Center. This should be improved now.

Selectable Panel Images

• The feature let's you select old archived panel images from the rack view.
  • Modules, which have archived panel images available have two arrows to select them.
  • The default status of a module panel image is HEAD. That is the behavior everybody knows. If someone uploads a new panel image that will be the new HEAD. It will overwrite the old panel and be displayed in your rack.
  • If you select an older panel with the arrow buttons this panel will be automatically locked for your rack and it will not be overwritten by future changes.
  • The first panel you select is always the same than the HEAD, only that it is locked.

I did some changes to make the UI more compact so that it is possible to edit panels even for 1U modules.

Caveat:

• In many cases the different facepanels are not different at all, because users uploaded them again for technical or whatever reasons.
  • If you upload a new panel image that will still overwrite everybody's HEAD.

TLDR; there are two arrow buttons to change the panels images.

I was lying. We have Modcan A now.

I put it on the to do list.

Hey,
I have that problem sometimes too and I am wondering if racks should be automatically be locked on small screens in general.
Not sure if anyone is planning on an iPhone?
Thanks for supporting!

Well we should have something to inform us of how many HP we have free on our racks and when you hover your mouse over a free space it should input the amount of HP free on the space! That would rock and would make my life much easier!
-- AThousandDetails

Took me a while but Space Guides, a similar function is now available.

Space Guides

Hover over a module in the planner and see how much space is available to the left and right.
Works also on drag'n'drop, on all formats and 1U.
There is a Space Guides on/of function to disable it, similar to the Popover states.

Maybe records should only be approvable/lockable when the basic data is complete?
-- wiggler55550

Only the manufacturers can lock their modules. If they don't care about complete and reliable specs all is lost
There is a message button on that Seal of Approvement. It's a hot wire to the manufacturer. Shout at them.

I would love to see better Product Lifecycle data. Maybe we make an announcement for a MG Data Day or something.
I mean there are 20000 users and only max 8000 modules. All data could be solid on one weekend. At least one can dream.

Thanks a heap!

-- wiggler55550

Thanks, although now it's pretty obvious that a lot of modules miss entries for depth.

New sort features

1. You can sort by Manufacturer and Depth
  2. Click twice to reverse the sort order

A bigger boat

ModularGrid moved to a new server. Everything is multiplicated by 3 and overall experience should feel a tad snappier now.

eBay right now

On the modules detailpages you see a list of offers on eBay for the current module.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. You are right that the overlapping of the absolute positioned tags is not ideal.
For some reasons we always tried to stay with the fixed height boxes but maybe we should change that.
I am somewhat blind for those design issues because it was always like that and there are so many other things to fix ;-)
So it's good to be reminded to look over that again.
cheers Knut

Just a glitch in the matrix
Glad it's working for now for whatever reasons. I will look into this the next time ...

the update screenshot preview (loupe icon?) button on this page doesn't seem to provide a screenshot. it refreshes the page and shows me the correct rack in small format.

It refreshes it in the background.
That is a good sign. If the rack is correctly displayed in small format, that means the screenshot generation works.
Can you please check this:
In Command Center click the first Icon of a thumbnail: Zoom In.
It opens the (old) screenshot as a jpg in the browser.
The URL looks like this:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_334231.jpg

Now change that url by adding ?ts=12345 [12345 can be a random number] like this and hit enter.
e.g.
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_334231.jpg?ts=12345
Does this do any good?

Mhh, I can only check your end of sept 16 rack, because the others are private and that looks fine for me.
It has a lot of modules so I am not quite sure ;)
Are the private ones even larger? Does the screenshot feature works for you at small racks?

does the screenshot default to a particular order of saved racks perhaps?

If you create a new one the older will be overwritten.
If you still see the older one that typically is cache issue. Maybe a proxy server?

You can try to create a screenshot from the Command Center, the loupe icon does this.

I just press the screenshot button under the view menu.

I see. You click the screenshot button and then you see a jpg of an older configuration of the rack.
I am pretty sure that is a cache issue.

Press shift + reload after you clicked the screenshot button. Do it when you see the old image.
I will look for a more stable implementation...

How do you do the snapshots? Can you try to clear browser cache:
hold shift and reload page.

While I liked the new faceplate I have reverted it to an earlier state because the module is already assigned to 60+ racks.
And those started to look strange.
I have flagged it as a duplicate.

Filter for module property: Product Lifecycle

Filter for Concept, Currently Available and Discontinued
The setting Property Unassigned shows unassigned Modules, so that it's easier to tag them.

Add all to My Modules

With the new function Add all to My Modules it's easy to populate the My Modules list from a current rack.
You can find in the Edit DropDown menu.

Counter for search results

If you search for modules the quantity of results will be displayed.

@pmarchitect:
This looks very well laid out and complete enough to have lots of fun.
My preference would be to add an old school filter and perhaps one of those mini-sequencers. Not to sequence pitches but modulations.

How did you upload the image of your rack, i would like to do the same but can't find the button or right way to do it on my interface ?
-- newbryde

No need to upload. If you comment on your own rack, it will be automatically embedded.
You can always just paste the URL to your Rack in the comment field.

e.g.
My Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/rackxs/view/96349
will render

My Rack:
ModularGrid Rack

Module Collections

Unicorn Users can now favorite modules they own. From this My Modules list it's way easier and quicker to add them to the planner. It's still possible to filter the My Modules list, e.g. "show me my VCAs".

New module property: Product Lifecycle

Modules have a new property Product Lifecycle with the dimensions Concept, In Production and Discontinued. If enough modules are tagged, this will go into a search filter.

Message Manufacturers

There was some trouble with manufacturers who lock/approve their modules but have the specs incomplete.
Now there is a message button on the module detail page where you can get in touch with them.

Remove Module Rating

If you have accidentally rated a module you can undo that by simply clicking on the rate button again in the module finder.

Bugfix

Show exotic modules a.k.a. "other/unknowns" filter was broken, works again

Markdown Preview for the module edit form

Since quite a while the text for module descriptions can be styled with Markdown Syntax.
Now we have a preview button next to the textarea in the module add and edit form.
It works exactly like the forum preview.
This should prevent the large amount of versions which are generated each time the data is saved.

How do i show the link?

Just paste the url.
E.g. https://www.m..ulargrid.net/e/racks/view/319038 will show

ModularGrid Rack

About your choices: the Moog covers a lot. Some additional modulation sources and VCA would be a benefit.

Hey, I'm a manufacturer of modules and wondering how to make plugins for TrueGrid? I don't see docs or links source repo anywhere?

-- elmood

Development for TrueGrid is on hold, the project was too ambitious. I am thinking about open source it, but even have to put some effort into that too. Because code is undocumented and a mess, of course ...

No near plans to do it, there are zillion other bugs to fix before we add another format..