Hi Abstractrhythms,

Another option might be the Sinfonion from ACL. It can handle chords/strings by the "chords" channel, you provide one input and you get four outputs, hence the 4 notes for the chords/strings and, naturally, simultaneously. I use it often in combination with the polyphonic modules from Doepfer (A-111-4, A-145-4, A-105-4, A-141-4 and A-132-8), sounds pretty nice.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

He, he, thanks :-) Yes, I went a bit crazy that day ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Sacguy71,

Nice video :-) Now, at least I thought, I very carefully listen and watched your video, but Jomox module? I don't think I recognised it in your video, which one is your Jomox Bass drum module?

Oh, when you just switched off the music, then I found it :-) Jomox is still on my wish list but I haven't got any module yet from Jomox. How do you like Jomox stuff?

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Trance Gates

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh lovely track! He, he, and a very green picture ;-) Do I recognise at the top part roughly in the middle a large mouth of a dangerous fish?

This is only 6 minutes but you could make it 16 or 26 minutes and it still wouldn't bore me. Nice to listen at, enough variation to keep it going and yeah... I really like it :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: L-1 Cwejman

Hi Gvfgvf,

I am sorry if my message/feedback was perhaps a little unclear. My concern here for your above rack is, do you have already all the displayed modules, mainly worried about the Cwejman modules because, as already mentioned, they are no longer obtainable. If you already have them, then well that's seriously fantastic :-) If not yet, perhaps you might want to reconsider your planned rack to make it more realistic because just a Maths and a Delay module (be it the Verbos one or another one), might be a bit meagre in combination with your already existing Cwejman SW1MK2; but it also depends on what you exactly want.

There are quite a few delay modules and of course the perfect way of discovering the "perfect" delay module that might fit you is, by going to a local dealer and try them all out (or as many as possible). Naturally because of Covid that might be difficult at the moment or not possible or if you don't have a too nearby local dealer, you might be "forced" to buy it "blindly" so to speak.

I don't know them all or what I rather mean is, I don't have experience with most of them, but let's give it a try to get an overview of available delays:
- Doepfer has a few whereby I think the A-188-x is the most well-known, based on the BBD principle (Bucket Brigade Device) whereby Doepfer offers several different modules by offering several different "stages". I own the A-188-1 with 1024 stages, in one way I like it, I guess because of BBD however I feel it's a module that's a bit difficult to get that properly under control but that might be just me, not really knowing how to use it properly ;-)
- 2hp has a "Delay" module, if you want it small :-) I prefer modules to be at least 4 or 6 HP, so for me this wouldn't be comfortable but if you want to save space in your rack...?
- 4ms has the Dual Looping Delay, no experience with it, might be worth to check out though
- ACL, the VC Dual Delay module, not sure if this one is sold out, it's on my wish list though
Alright Devices - Chronoblob2, funny name but other than that i don't know it
Analogue Systems has a few delay modules, as far as I know non-Eurorack so that's a pity, not sure yet if they have already a Eurorack compatible delay module, this might be interesting in the future when they do so
Animal Factory Amplification has a module called Coma Reactor Module, just because of that name it's on my wish list but then again, there is so many on my wish list ;-) Not sure about this one, might be interesting
Audio Damage has a few (ADM15, 16 & 17)
Befaco Crush Delay v2 or nowadays v3, I have that one and... I am not so sure what to think of this one, if you want a more distorted delay, this might be an interesting one, if you look for a nice clear delay effect... I don't think I would go for this one
Dreadbox - Nostalgia, for the price-performance, I think this might be very interesting, not sure about its sound quality though
Erica Synths has a few, including Black Stereo Delay, Fusion Delay (using a tube), Pico DSP (if you like it small, just 3 HP) and now recently the Black BBD, same principle as the Doepfer, also a BBD. If I remember a post here correctly this one might be interesting if you are looking for a delay based on the BBD principle, seems to be easier to get it under control than the Doepfer one, but that again might be just my own clumsiness ;-)
Eventide is planning to come with the Euro DDL, that looks like a very interesting option to me, pity it's not available yet though
Folktek has Conduit
Intellijel the Rainmaker, if you don't care the 36 HP (and the high price), then this might be your delay valhalla
Make Noise has the Mimeophon, this one I am considering but want to test it first at my local dealer to see if it's indeed as good as the name and reputation goes; knowing Make Noise, I think this might be indeed a very interesting module
Malekko has a quad gate delay, reasonably priced, small in HP (8 HP), so perhaps this is interesting?
MFB from Berlin has the digital delay
Modcan comes with the dual delay, not sure if it's still available
Noise Engineering uses the Imitor Versio to create a delay effect
Pittsburgh Modular calls their the Analogue Replicator
Recovery Effects has the Cutting Room Floor, don't know this one at all
Roland has an LFO/delay module called 572 (from their System 500 series)
Sputnik Modular might have an interesting one for you with the 4-Tap delay/dual crossfader module
Steady State Fate (SSF) has one called Propegate
Synthesis Technology has the E102 Quad Temporarl Shifter, I don't have this module however I have a few modules from Synthesis Technology and their modules are quite interesting, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a good one too!
T-Rex has the enormous Replicator Tape Echo Module, if Tape Echo is your thing, you need 44 HP space and about a ton of money
Tiptop Audio has Echoz if you want to keep the price reasonable
TouellSkouarn has the Heklev, I don't know this one but I have two other modules of this brand, not sure if that suits... the modules I have so far from TouellSkouarn are good in one particular thing, tons of distortion :-)
Well the Verbos you mentioned yourself already
and the last that comes to mind is the WMD DPLR/Doppler delay module

So quite a few to choose from however it's not easy to advice you which one you should take without more context and even then... I do believe choosing a delay is a pretty personal taste kind of thing.

What I haven't mentioned are the tons of modules that are based on DSP effects, if you count them in as well, wow, so much more to choose from. I mainly focussed here on Delay but even then there are of course several of them already DSP based delays :-)

With DSPs I don't have too much experience, I have the Erica Synths - Black Hole DSP2, that's actually a quite nice one, and it has stereo inputs and stereo outputs; but there are so many of them...

What I also haven't mentioned at all yet, are external effects processors and pedals. I regularly use the Electro-Harmonix Grand Canyon delay pedal, nice one, mono input, stereo output but it's not a Eurorack module. Not sure if it must be a module for you or if you feel a pedal is acceptable as well? Well, the Eventide might be interesting but, at least here in Europe, it's not available on the market yet (the Euro DDL module I mean).

I hope I gave you some ideas. As already mentioned, best I believe is still to test as many as possible at a local dealer, I know not easy at these times...

Good luck with the delay choice besides the rack planning ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Klodifokan,

I am sorry to read your reaction on my reply to Gvfgvf. I did read the post, I was aware of the delay question but since this is the Rack section of this forum, I assumed this rack of Gvfgvf is in planning phase. If you are in a planning phase and you plan a lot of modules of one brand that's no longer available, then I do think it make sense to inform the user (in this case Gvfgvf) that these modules are no longer obtainable (other than perhaps 2nd hand). That was the only reason of my feedback, to create awareness at user level that certain modules are no longer available.

Because, in my humble opinion, the above planned rack doesn't make sense if the user can't obtain all modules as planned. In case all modules are already in possession of Gvfgvf, well then that's very great and nice too :-)

All right, so let's have a look at the delay question itself then (I do think in this planning phase it's a bit too early to focus on that but since your opinion seem to be that's the only thing that counts for the moment). As Farkas already mentioned and guessed correctly, I do not have any specific recommendation for replacing the Verbos delay because the rack planning is most likely to be unrealistic unless all modules are already in possession. But for the sake of answering the delay question, I will give it a try.

P.S.: Perhaps a little advice to reread your own message, try to discover how one might feel and observe the way you wrote your message. I can't say that was very kind or of a pleasant tone. We try to be helpful here in this community for each other and, that's just my humble opinion, I would appreciate, a more positive tone in the messages we are trying to send to each other.

I look forward in a more positive way of communicating with you and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Gvfgvf,

Unless you have already all those shown Cwejman modules, there is no longer any chance of getting them other than second hand, which might be hard to get. Wowa Cwejman died on the 30th of January 2021 :-(

Good luck with the planning and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Looking for a good EG isn't that easy, isn't it? I am facing a similar issue. Some ideas here for you to consider:

• Hikari Instruments - Triple AD, I love this one, can be nice snappy if wanted
  • ACL - Envelope x3, is a classic ADSR but of (very) good quality
  • Vermona - fourMative Countours, is also a classic ADSR and also of (very) good quality, I am considering this one myself
  • Waldorf - MOD1, if you still can find one, good Waldorf underestimated modular quality, it has 3 decay levels and parallel to this AD3SR also trigger, gate or LFO functionality and yet another AR as well, tons of possibilities with this module (I will be honest with you on this one, it has a quite high learning curve though, that might be seen as a con)
  • Make Noise - Contour, if you have already a Maths and you still like to have an additional Make Noise style EG, this is the one you need :-)
  • Xaoc Devices - Zadar, you mentioned that one yourself already, it's on my radar as well but I am hesitating... too much menu diving or acceptable?
  • Doepfer A-140-1 it's the standard/classic ADSR from Doepfer, I love this one, straight simple forward but you get what you expect, good steady quality and it has an inverse output that can come in handy in certain situations. I guess you have this one already since that might have come together with your Doepfer system, however there is nothing against a second one, now is there? I am using three of them :-) Doepfer does have other ADSRs/EGs as well, check their website under the A-14x series
  • Then there are brands of which I don't have experience with but I know they have ADSRs too, like: AJH Synth, ALM Busy Circuits (Quaid Megaslope is on my wish list), Dreadbox (Ataxia I am considering), Frequency Central (System X EG, might be a nice and affordable one), Instruo (Cèis), Intellijel Dual ADSR but since you have the Quadrax you might want to look at other brands, I can understand that, Malekko Quad Envelope is an AHDSR might be interesting, no experience with yet though, Mutable Instrumanets (Stages and/or Tides - II), Pittsburgh Modular ADSR Mk II, ReBach Catch - ADSR-A, and WMD (Javelin, Multimode Envelope, ADSRVCA)
  • And of course don't forget Erica Synths, I actually love their envelopes. After Doeper's EGs I would go for their EGs. I have myself a Black HADSR EG and Black VC EG and both are great, availability might be a problem though. They recently released Black Dual ASR EG, I consider that one for the future perhaps as well. Oh yes and don't forget their Fusion Modulator if you want something else as the usual EG :-) That's one with a tube!

That's what just comes to mind for the moment. My top recommendations are Vermona, Erica Synths, Doepfer, Hikari Instruments (this is a lovely module consider this one!) and ACL.

Good luck with the search for a suitable EG and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Gabor,

Oh that's an interesting and nice track you made there! Intriguing, I am going to hit the play button one more time, to make sure I heard everything :-)

Nice one! Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacquy71,

Ah another nice jam and video from you! It's nice to see those percussion modules from Hexinverter, wasn't aware of them yet! Do you like them? They sound quite good! Nice to see your Vector into action :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Anubiz,

Ah another nice midi file concert ;-) Great track and the video provides a lovely view over your very nice and large rack! Superb!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Shanewave,

Ha, ha, no that wasn't sarcastic, it was really well-meant :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hey Jingo,

Thank you :-) Yes, the Vector is great, can't live without it any more ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hey Jingo,

You are back ;-) Great to hear from you again and straight away you come with a fun track. At least to me it sounds like you had a lot of fun with the Sarajevo. Sounds indeed (very) good that BBD module!

Much better, to be honest, than my Doepfer A-188-1 BBD Module (1024 stages). I feel that module is a bit difficult to... to what exactly? To understand? Or to get it under control? I don't know exactly what my issue is with it, I mean I can get it work but getting as nice results as you do, I didn't manage that yet. I think I need to dive into that one just one more time to see if I can get similar results :-)

Great track and thank you very much for sharing this with us. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Shanewave,

Wow, your first video, and your first track here as well? What a fantastic starter you got here for us! :-)

Amazing sound, especially in the beginning it sounds almost like a church organ!

Yeah... Marbles is still on my wish list too. I am glad you enjoy it. Thank you very much for sharing this and keep up to good work. I hope to seeing and especially hearing from you soon, kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

Oh wow, this is great! Lovely done jam. It's amazing that without a plan or something you are able to come up with something fantastic like this :-)

I have that with Italian cities, I leave the hotel without any plan, any preparation, other than after the stroll "I want to end up in a restaurant". Just wander about and let myself surprise by the atmosphere the city breaths out and by a kind of built-in radar I then find the most fantastic Italian restaurants and enjoy my food :-)

A bit in that way, your modular synth way, you are ending up with a great jam ;-) Thanks a lot for let us join this great experience and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi WaveofSilence,

Yeah, nice one too! I love the arpeggiator functionality, what would we do without it? ;-)

Regarding the cables, ha, ha, does your hand never get stucked between the cables, so the cables "hold your hand locked-in"? ;-)

Nice to see you at work at the drums as well. That cymbal you are playing, is that an acoustic cymbal or is that digital too?

You are a real multi-instrumentalist, using so many instruments in this jam. Well, keep the good work up and thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Cmb_,

He, he, that's a nice track with a lot of fun in it, I like that. That kind of make happy music, it provides me with positive energy.

Yes, the Telharmonic is a real dark horse, isn't it? :-) Thanks a lot for sharing your great track and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wedoh,

Oh my gosh, this is nice and relaxed. Can every day be like this please? :-)

Very nicely slowly controlled, beautiful! So what did I hear? Philip Glass resigned and you did take over? ;-) Great stuff this, nice video along with it! Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi WaveofSilence,

Nice jam! You got a nice sequence going on as from about 5:00 that develops pretty nicely, I like that!

I love the melody you are building up as from about 27:00 with your keyboard, nice!

By the way, what a spaghetti of patch cables ;-) Enjoy your Plaits and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Igor, All,

Igor: Nice demo track! Nicely honouring the Telharmonic :-)

All: That's a pity to hear that the module has been "retired". Luckily I got one however for everyone who considers one it's a shame. It's a rough module and difficult to keep it under control though. I love the sounds you can make with it. In the below link you will find a demo track of mine where the second voice of the sequencer is done with the Telharmonic.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10041

If you just want to hear pure the Telharmonic only (without the Plaits blearing as a first voice over the Telharmonic strings then check it as from about 5:43 till about 6:04. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Fred and TumeniKnobs,

Thank you both very much :-)

Fred, how shall I put this? About your remark "sounds almost like a ratcheting effect", well indeed, I used tons of ratcheting ;-)

If you are not familiar yet with the Five12, please go to the website and download there the manual of the Vector, you can see what's all possible with it. It took me about two years for searching the perfect sequencer, which I didn't found, though the Vector comes pretty close!

So what I did is I used indeed pretty much ratcheting. The lovely thing of the Vector (Five12) is that you don't have to use this just straight forward, you can use a probability/chance on the ratcheting for example. I also did made some steps a bit longer and others a bit faster to create as much as possible variation into play, so to speak. This is all possible with the Vector, one of the many reasons I love this sequencer!

Me and videos? Well that still might take several years before I am in the right mood to start perhaps making videos. Let me focus first on getting to know more about modular synthesizers (there is so much to discover and "trying to get under control"), and then there are the review reports I write about modules (see my website), so enough stuff to do for the moment.

No, the sequences are fully "automated" and run completely by themselves (that means by Five12 - Vector). But I use chance or probability especially for the percussion part and on some of those ratchets to give it some variation.

The only parameters I did change by hand were:
- Octaves of the main voice only, on the Vector
- Only twice I think it was, I changed the running direction of the main voice from forward to backward and then back to forward (that's why you hear at a certain stage some weird pattern behaviour)
- The (green only) models on the Plaits module
- Changing the Presets on the Vector of both sequences/voices/tracks

The LFOs (Doepfer A-145 and Doepfer A-147-2) I used to CV-control the Timbre and Harmonics parameters on the Plaits module.

TumeniKnobs, It's actually more simple than it sounds. It's really only those two voices (except the percussions) but with a not too slow running sequence of those voices. The ratchets make it sound even faster, which is actually not the case but using quite a bit variation in the sequences, it might give you the impression that it sounds complicated, but if you narrow it down on the configuration of the sequencer itself it's not that bad ;-)

So really, per voice I only use two sequence patterns, called Presets on the Vector. I manually changed them. I start with one, the one that starts directly from the beginning, at about 3:38 I change then to the other pattern on both voices (it's a bit audible) and then again at about 6:26 I change then back to that first pattern I used when I started the track; this time even a lot better audible that I change the Presets manually. If you let the Vector do the change of the Presets you don't hear it, then it goes nice smoothly. But I was too lazy (hence Garfield) to reconfigure the Presets sequence, so I did it manually instead.

The sound (so not the sequence or modulation) variation is done by hand choosing the next (or 2nd next) "green" model on the Plaits module. When it reaches the top one (called "Pair of classic waveforms" in the Plaits manual) you get that kind of weird (but I love it) synthesizer scream-change or whatever you like to call it, like for example at about 0:53 where that sound-behaviour kicks in for the first time; that's done by a slow triangle LFO CV-control of the Harmonics parameter on the Plaits. On the other models it doesn't sound as nice (and as obvious) as with this first green model.

Since I let the Plaits scream away almost the entire time, you don't hear much of the background "strings" caused by the Make Noise - Telharmonic being the second voice, though around 5:43 you can hear the Telharmonic a bit better for a short while before (around 6:04) the Plaits takes over again ;-) In the original track (still to be recorded) I plan that these two voices are a bit better in harmony with each other and give each other more space to be present, hence it will be less hectic and "violent" or noisy (mainly the Plaits should be cooled down a bit).

Okay and I added some effects (quite a bit actually, in the beginning of the track less than near the end), medium delay by the Grand Canyon (Electro-Harmonix), medium reverb (hall type) by the Ventris and a strong chorus & a bit of flanger by the external mixer. But all recorded in "one-go", this was my second take/attempt. No big changes on the DAW, only a slightly volume adjustment of 1 dB per stereo channel more was not possible to avoid clipping and because I didn't use compression.

And that's it, really. Glad you enjoyed it. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

Oh it's so good to have you back here, I was missing your jams! Your music is pretty addictive and my body and ears need at least once a week something coming from you to make it throughout the week ;-)

By wishing you good luck on your new job, I hope you soon can maintain a situation where there is more time for you left for creating great work like this track and I hope you wouldn't forget us, the junkies who need regular be fed by your music :-D

Hi Fred,

Ah one of your nice long sessions :-) Wow, and this time you straight away set off with some nice oscillators accomplishing each other in that first minute, nice!

He, he, there is nothing better than a live jam! :-) If you, like yourself, are able to do that, I for myself need already an half hour to set one LFO right, so me and live jams, I don't think that goes good together ;-) It's therefore for me very enjoyable watching someone knowing what he's doing during such a session, great work!

He, he, that Death of HudsonSoft reminds me of the good old Vangelis years ;-)

Hi All,

Today I got carried away during an attempt of recording something, I ended up in actually only recording two sequencer patterns, got pretty much carried away with it and wanted to join this with you, so the actual recording I wanted to do... em... I didn't got to it at all :-)

Two voices only:
Voice 1, main voice by Mutable Instruments - Plaits
Voice 2, kind of back leading strings by Make Noise - Telharmonic

Sequencer is the fantastic Five12 - Vectron with the Jack Expander, using two channels for the above mentioned two voices and using another 2 channels for the percussions (1 channel percussion at the Jack Expander means 4 different percussions, thus 8 in total, here only used 4, I think).

Then some other modular stuff like LFOs and the usual suspects. Effects externally by Grand Canyon from Electro-Harmonix and Ventris from Source Audio. Two more effects (Chorus & Flanger) used with the external StudioLive mixer from PreSonus. External percussion by Vermona - DRM1 Mk3, controlled by Five12 - Vectron and Jack Expander.

This is in a way a teaser of my possible far away future album called "Germany - B" and the track is most likely going to be called "Berlin" only not as rough and wild as this demo track. Here just some sounds that I most likely going to use for the mentioned album and track.

That's about it, thank you very much for listening and have a good start of the week, kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: Oh yes, you might want to turn up the volume quite a bit, I haven't used any form of compression.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Interesting track with some real "deep sounds" :-) I like that! Too much modulation? Can there be really a point reached where there is too much modulation? Not for me :-) It didn't give me the impression there was too much modulation.

As always, thanks a lot for the patch details, love to read it and understand how you got to your sounds, very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: Nice complicated patch! :-D

Hi LYFoulidis,

Glad I could help with that link :-)

I wasn't aware of the fact that as from July every EU country can do whatever they want (regarding this matter I mean), that's for most of the countries I am afraid bad news. Thank you for sharing this.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

I used to have a list of 1 U modules I was interested in and I wanted to have a look at that to see if I can advice any to you however I lost that list :-( The only module left I see is the one from Intelllijel - 1U Digiverb if you don't have enough reverb modules yet.

Generally 1 U can be used nicely for some (rather simple) utility modules that saves you some space in the 3U part of your rack.

Have fun with your sequencers and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi LYFoulidis,

Or have a look at www.3u-shop.de they might perhaps have a few things that might interest you? Look at "parts" menu and then "Knöpfe" (which is German for knobs).

I am facing the same issues as you do regarding buying stuff from the UK :-( Weird that in Belgium that below Euro 20 rule doesn't apply, since I thought this would be valid for the entire EU. Anyway, any item+mail over twenty Euro causes already costums duty :-(

Good luck with the search and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Toodee and Funbun,

Yes I fully agree here with Toodee, really nice films and I am so jealous about the sceneries :-)

Ha, ha, looks like that B&B idea might be something worth chasing for? ;-)

Cheers, Garfield.

Hi Funbun,

Oh wow! That sounds quite ambitious your plans regarding building your own Komso/5 U synth. Very interesting too, please keep us updated on those great plans, I am really curious about it :-)

Good luck with that project, meanwhile I hope you will be able to catch enough fish to keep you going and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

That's a nice video, that's your MDLR case, right? Looks like you still have plenty of 1 U space left ;-)

Nice to watch many of your modules in this overview video. I definitely need to start to save some money for one or two Rossum modules!

Hi Funbun,

Nice video with some humour :-) Do you have a B&B? Perhaps I should come one day and get served nice grilled fish caught from the next door river? ;-) I liked that kind of almost funny tone of background music you used, is that all still done by your AE modular system?

Pity you couldn't find any fish that day :-(

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Zuggamasta,

Two great videos, the first one is nice to have a look from "the top" :-) At the end you put kilos of reverb, yeah! ;-)

The second video and track is indeed more classic approach, more something for me ;-) Nice touch with the guitar by the way! You have a nice sequence going on there.

Regarding cases, yeah, I not a mantis case fan either. If it must be a 6 U then check out the Doepfer - A-100LC6 that's 2 x 84 HP at about Euro 379.

Though if you add 60 bucks then at Euro 439 you'll get a 9 U A-100LC9, I do think this 9U is more worth it (however keep in mind that the mA per HP is less though; same one PSU 3 with 2000 mA at +12 V).

A-100 LC6, 2 x 84 = 168 HP total, price Euro 379, price per HP is Euro 2.26 and 11.9 mA/HP
A-100 LC9, 3 x 84 = 252 HP total, price Euro 439, price per HP is Euro 1.74 and 7.9 mA/HP

Or if you want the more fancy one then go for the A-100 P6 or A-100 P9, same space, same specs, it just looks better.

The nice thing is that you always can extend it with an A-100 LCB or an A-100 PB and then you got a nice set together. I have the A-100 LC9 on top of the A-100 LCB, nice little set together (they stand next to the big brother set A-100 LMB and LMS9). I am happy with both of those sets.

If you want a bigger one but insist to stay with 6 U then you might want to consider the Doepfer - A-100 PMS6 that's 2 x 168 HP and comes with two PSU3 power supply units.

Up to you ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Molerat99,

Oh this is nice, nice long drone kind of thing :-) I love your video too, it's nice how you view into details over your modules, that's great. Nice & interesting to watch it.

Ha, ha, the end is cool: "Ending transmission" ;-)

Thanks a lot or sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

I wasn't aware of the SBG module yet, so very informative video this was for me, thank you very much :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

That's a lovely old Japanese book cover then! :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hello Anubiz,

Wow, this is amazing! :-) How did you do this? Did you used samples for the sounds? Supported by a large sequencer I guess? The large top left module, is that your main sequencer? What is it exactly (I mean brand & model)?

Are you (Anubiz) and Attack Regularity Release Chaos (on YouTube) the same performer? I am now listening to the Tubular Bells, nice one too!

Must have been a lot of configuration work ;-) It's amazing and enjoyable at the same time. Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh yes, that's nice! :-) Super nice and it's relaxing too, this is how my weekend should be :-)

Nice long, kind of ambient and relaxing, the ideal track for me! Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: That picture is that of a piece of textile? It's quite nice!

Hi Sacguy71,

Great, a video with Erica Synths - Dual VCF (one of my favourite filters) and the Five12 sequencer Vector :-)

Regarding the Dual VCF from ES, try to make a patch with two inputs, either two outputs from the same oscillator or preferable with two inputs from two different oscillators, then take the two outputs to a stereo mixer. It's a stereo filter and making use of such is great, the possibilities of that filter become more clear then.

Regarding your question about the Vector sequencer:
- Press the blue "Preset/Scene" button (that brings you to the "Preset" overview of the current part)
- Then press the grey "Next" button (to the "Scene" overview of all parts)
- Then with the encoders select the Scene per part you want to select, if nothing is selected for such part then that's the reason why you don't get any result from part 2 for example, so if part 1 is at "A01" then it might make sense to put part 2 at "A01" as well (to get started). Note though that A01 from part 1 is different from the "A01" from part 2. Scenes are independent and configurable per part.

So then after done that, press the blue "Part" button, press the white button of part 1 and make sure at pitch & gate that you have configured there something. Do the same again for (press the blue "Part" button and press the white button of) part 2, and then it should work.

Use the main encoder (I think Jim calls it encoder 9 in his manual, doing this by heart though) to set all values at the same time, that's especially handy when doing the gate of a new part you haven't configured yet, use that main encoder to set all gates at the same time so you have faster some results :-) The fine adjustments of the gates per step you can then do later on with the individual encoders per step as one does with the pitch.

The best hint though is: take your sweet time and read first the entire manual, then things should become clearer. I, myself, would love a bit more extensive manual though. Everything or at least most of it has all been mentioned in the manual but sometimes you have to read it twice or thrice to completely understand it, a more extensive explanation would make it at certain points indeed a bit easier (in my opinion).

I hope it's kind of clear and helps you forward exploring the Vector. Have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

Wow, that's amazing, you have a waterproof Eurorack ;-)

Drone or not, nice ambient track it is! :-) It's lovely relaxing to listen at, watching the video, feeling so relaxed. Yes nice, I want more of this :-)

I miss a bit your commentary at the beginning of each track, any chance of that happen again? :-)

Hi Sacguy71,

That's great news! :-) Take your sweet time to read the manual of the Five12 - Vector sequencer and after that just enjoy that fantastic sequencer! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Have fun with your new modules and the Vector and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Troux, All,

How about "Get started with at least a monster case of say 3 * 168 HP" ? ;-)

Most of it has been said already indeed. Perhaps pointing out to the very basics of (modular) synthesizer as well? Like you need at least: 2 oscillators, 1 or 2 filters, VCAs you mentioned already, 2 LFOs, 2 EGs, etcetera. Before even thinking about "sexy looking modules".

If you need that picture that I made of all those functionality stuff, you are welcome to use that link to that picture, no problem.

Good luck with it and I think it's indeed to have one of such posts stickied here in the Racks section. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Thanks a lot for the interesting details! :-)

Ah-haa! You are getting yourself now a Vector as well, I still love it, great sequencer. It's good that you ordered it together with the expander.

The Dual VCF form Erica Synths is a great filter in my opinion, so I hope you will enjoy that one :-)

Enjoy the new and great stuff and I look forward in hearing and seeing some more interesting stuff from you! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

He, he, something else indeed. It's quite amazing how much variation you were able to put into this track, something I feel that many techno music is lacking however you managed that very well. As almost always, I am impressed by your percussion, nicely done!

Hi Sacguy71,

Sounds indeed as a lot of fun :-) That kind of speech sound, with which module are you doing that? Or is that some audio input?

Still happy with your Stillson Hammer? I see you use it here quite a bit.

Hi Sacguy71,

Yeah, another video from your new studio :-) Nice to see your modules again. I love to see the Hertz Donut and the Metron is back into action too! :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Karolziober,

Welcome to Modular Grid and modular synthesizers :-)

You have already quite some interesting modules in your rack planned. I agree here with Zuggamasta to start to slowly fill your rack, don't buy everything in one go.

A few remarks about your planned rack:

• To start straight away with 4 the same VCAs from 2 HP, might be not a good idea, as Zuggamasta already mentioned if you put them next to each other you are not going to have a comfortable access to your modules. Another thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't start straight away to order double modules. Get experience first with one of them, see if you like it indeed that much and then consider a second, same module; however not directly start with 4 the same VCA modules. You could consider other VCAs as well. The VCAs I love to use are Patching Panda - Punch (nowadays Punch version 3) and the Waldorf - DVCA1 (getting sold out though); but of course there are other good VCAs as well
  • Though the Erica Synths - Black Octasource is a serious fantastic module, it is one, not to be recommended for beginners, it's a tough one to tame so to speak. I would recommend to add that module later to your rack, when you are ready for some crazy fun :-)
  • For the setup you have here, I feel you are missing a few oscillators of the "normal sort". The Telharmonic is a great module but extremely difficult to put it into the direction you want it to go, I would not recommend it to start with; you can add it later when you gained some experience with modular synthesizers and when you think: "Now it's time for a module I will barely get under control" ;-) It's actually not that dramatic but I do think Telharmonic is better to get started with when you gained some experience. I don't have any Noise Engineering modules myself so I can't comment on that oscillator you planned here, might be totally all right. There are quite a few members who love Noise Engineering so you should be fine with those. But other than these two (Telharmonic and Loquelic Iteritas) I don't see any oscillator, you could consider to add one more oscillator (and not yet that Telharmonic), which can be either a rather standard oscillator, say the Doepfer - A-110-1 or a more fancy one like Mutable Instruments - Plaits; up to you (or any other oscillator of your likings)
  • You might want to have a look at filters, yes I see you have the QPAS there, a good one indeed but just having one filter in your rack becomes sooner or later a bit boring, you might want to look into at least a 2nd filter, if not a 3rd one for future extension
  • Those 3 passive multiples of Doepfer, the A-180-2s, mwah... look at my website and read those review reports about multiples. I haven't tested the A-180-2 yet because I don't have one yet but I would recommend to go rather for two A-180-3 buffered multiples than 3 passive multiples like the A-180-2. Again, here applies the "same rule" that I would recommend to start with just one module, if you are happy with it, get either the same one again or consider another type and brand. So start with one A-180-3 for example and gain some experience

Overall you have here a nice rack, with some adjustments you can have a lot of fun with it. Good luck with the planning and if you want yourself to do a real favour, start straight away with a 3 rows 168 HP rack :-) The space you will need sooner or later. Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Edit: Removed typo

Ah it works again, great, listening again :-)