I bought the 'fancier' versions because i plan to keep these things going forward. I have not bought stuff to play with then think i've had enough of that now. I could afford certain things so went with what i had read were good options.

I love the sound of the Nano rand

I feel i need a multiple and am going to buy a midi to cv but unsure as what to go for.

Thanks for all your replies on this. I agree with KNYST on this. It was bad manners on my part and I apologise to everyone here for that. I got an email from PayPal this morning to say that they have found in my favour and will get me a full refund.

What I've learned:
It costs WAY more than 20% tax to import something into the UK. It's actually over 30 after the fees.
Switzerland is NOT in the EU!

If there is even a question of import duties, I'll make sure we are clear about it before money changes hands. Not clear like "it's on you bro!" But clear like "it's likely to be over 60 quid, understand?"

Cheers guys

-- oddbeats

Yet another bad call by Paypal. Their 'protection' stinks, because they make bad decisions and the seller gets to pay for it.
I understand your problem with the high extra cost, but it was in fact your problem, and not seller's. If you got back the total amount, I hope you have the good taste, to pay back all postage costs to the seller. Because, now he is losing money due to your mistakes.

NEW EP
ALGO
RESONESTOR EXPIREMENTS
https://fransis.bandcamp.com/album/algo

Just looked up what a ASR does & yes I think that can doe the job... A dive into the functionality a bit more. Thanks for the input & have a fine weekend. Cheers, Jurgen

Not sure I properly understand what you mean, but it seems like an analog shift register would help you to achieve your goal, if you only want to "delay" a short sequence.

Cool, sounds like an approach I gonna try... Right now patching my modular for an upcoming gig, after that I will try your idea & let you know how it works... Thanks a lot.

On my SoundCloud page all kind of Analog Sounds in a playlist, maybe you like some... they are free 2 use... On the main account you can find lost of "regular" tracks "https://" + "soundcloud.com/sonicrider/sets/the-analog-journey"

Do you have a page somewhere I can listen your work? Cheers, Jurgen

Something like this:

[clock] -- [clock divider/multiplier] -- [seq2]
|
[seq1]

would do that.
Where seq1/2 are two sequencers playing the same sequence at two different but related speeds,
one being a integer division or multiple of the clock. That way you would be able to not only vary the speed ratio between your two copies of the sequence in a wide range but to do so in real time using a CV source like another sequencer (or LFO, envelope, manual offset, ...) while keeping the parts in sync.

Hi, yip, that's it & half of the speed is a variable setting. Thanks for your patient understanding my goal. Do you think it is possible with a certain module, a patch or ......

So you want to run the same sequence at two different speeds, a given speed and than half of that speed, at the same time?

Hi, it's hard 2 explain.... I made a drawing... So when my comment below ins't clear I can set you the drawing....

Sequence plays D-E-D-B-D-E-D-B-D-E-D-B-D-E-D-B- de CV goes 2 a delay that process the CV & the output is the same CV but in timing D---E---D---B---D---E---D---B---D---E---D---B---D---E---D---B--- this output goes 2 a VCO and produces the delayed melody...

Your remark "unning the sequencer at half the clock rate" should be the FX, the output...

I hope a bit less wondering :-)

I'm afraid I still don't get it. So this is not about a delay effect as in echo. Do you mean to have the sequencer play one quarter note while the clock counts two 8th notes? That would simply mean running the sequencer at half the clock rate. Or were you talking about a swing or shuffle effect when you mentioned delay?

Also, what is the meaning of " I want to delay CV pitch"?
A CV has as (actually, is) a voltage, not a pitch.
Wondering...

Hi, thanks for replying... What I mean is dat when the sequence plays 1/16 notes the output of the delay has the rhythm of 1/8 note; this means there is a longer time between the notes but all notes are at the output.... So when its plays D-E-D-B in 1/16 the output is D-E-D-B in 1/8... While writing this I asked myself if it is possible at all, but on the other hand why not... At some time a sort of max is reached... Hope my explanation is clear... Thanks again for answering. Cheers, Jurgen

Hi, are you saying you want the delay to happen only on every other delay?

You're absolutely building something more expensive than a fixed architecture synth. You're also building something that's arguably more flexible than a Sub 37. What's done with that flexibility will certainly vary from person to person. Have fun with it, and if you're not finding yourself as productive as you would like to be, you can always sell things off without much loss – especially if you've been buying modules used.

Hi,

I'm using a sequencer CV pitch & CV gate controlling a vco.

Question: which tool/patch do I need when I want to delay CV pitch. This means when the sequence is a 1/16 note the delay has a timing as where it a 1/8 note = "speed" of the output is 1/2 of the original sequence. When possible the amount of "delay" adjustable. Wonder if it is possible at all.

Thanks for replying.

Mutable Rings Feedback

Hey all came across the forums and site here whilst getting confused about the wealth of info on modular setups on the www. I have not yet searched or worked the site out. I have started building/ planning my rack. Although im not sure asyet all the modules i need.

I like the tiptop audio 808 drums and thought i would start with small (bd, snare and hats) setup to get me going. I am wondering what else i would need to have this fully functional.

Complete newbie and i am searching the site after this post for more info but just thought i would jump in with the question to.

Thankyou,

BeatApprentice

Bought a D-LFO from @Llouwelyn- it has arrived & is working great, physically great shape. Exactly as described. Good transaction- thanks! :-)

That's always the question, isn't it? I've got a nice little 7u and a M32 and it's a ton of fun with a myriad of possibilities. So much so that it's almost a hindrance. I find myself noodling endlessly, diving down into patches for hours only to arrive at the point of exhaustion when I just shut it down and go right to sleep. No recording, no song, just the moment I've enjoyed on my own with some headphones on so as not to keep my wife and kids up all night. I often wonder if would I be working more effectively on the backlog of songs in various states of completion with something less open ended like a Sub 37, or an 0-coast even.

Yes, you are on your way to building something more expensive and clunkier than a Sub 37. Is it worth it? I really can't say. I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

I’m a full-time producer with a well-equipped studio, but I didn’t have an analog synth until I got my MOTHER-32. I’m learning that I can get more out of its one oscillator than I thought! It sounds great, like moog always does when someone brings one into the studio. I feel that I’m ready to pick up another VCO now (the dixie ii+ looks right for me), and maybe a 2nd envelop generator with more parameters (ADSR to add to the single AD on MOTHER-32).

Here’s my concern: Am I on my way to building a more expensive, clunkier Sub-37? Am I missing the point of modular by getting common components to ultimately augment and run through my MOTHER-32?

Thanks, guys!

Great sellers the lot of these gentlemen!

@dysonant
@variouswaysofnoways
@0netwo0netwo

All excellent communication and prompt shipping. All modules arrived exactly as described.

Thanks you guys!

My comment is you're grabbing the fancier versions when vanilla will suffice. Unless you have a reason for the fancier stuff, get the vanilla.

Also, there's nothing wrong with your original rack. Just making your start much easier and simpler.

It gives you a random source, which is great for modulating things, a noise source, a sample and hold...
See here:

Thank you all so much for your help I will check these out.

What does the Nano Rand do?
Sorry if thats an obvious answer

:)

A random source would be a very natural addition: Nano Rand, e.g. I also disagree with the first post to some extent. Though Maths is 20HP, it is such a multifunctional tool that it earns its keep even in a small space. I would, however, try to maximize efficiency where possible: the Mutable Shades or the Intellijel Triatt would you three channels of attenuation or mixing, which might be worth it instead of the A138, and the Mutable Peaks is a better use of HP space than the Dual ADSR since it gives you various kinds of envelopes, dual lfos, or drums depending on what mode you are in.

looks nice, you might wanna add another oscillator and maybe a second filter...

Listen here:
I'll make a better recording... soon...

Oh right, Is that because when i want to expand i'll need a new rack?

I have a pittsburgh sequencer on the way and still have a fair bit of space in my rack.
Im thinking of getting Links or Pittsburgh M3 (if there is one out there) as a multiple.

So please tell me if i'm making bad choices

Thank you so so much for your help

You're in trouble. When starting out avoid modules bigger than 6-10hp (unless it's Metropolis or Circ Rhythms). Everything you have is too big and wasting hp.
Replace most of it with Doepfer, Ladik, Blue Lantern, and EMW.

Also these:
Function
Peaks
Disting
Kermit or Dixie

Great seller @tFunk, fast shipping and most importantly honest guy. Will buy from again.

Thank you!

• 2 Voices, 1 West Coast (Serge-y) and 1 East Coast (ARP-y)
  • voices will be triggered via Korg SQ-1 or from DAW via Midi-CV conversion of SQ-1
  • Disting, because it has lots of functions ...
  • Simple Drum module for 6 drum channels!
  • Trigger Man to drive the drums

I use one and have a love/hate relationship with it. I adore its mellow sound, I obviously like the name and the build. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing its all analog. I even like the pitch shift effect on time adjustments, it's fun, often surprising, can be made very musical.

However, there's a few things that bother me:
- feedback catches quite a lot of hum
- there's a high-pitched BBD overload sound on higher time settings; you can EQ it out but it's annoying
- BBD aggressively low-passes the signal even in 4k short mode, you can't do razor sharp delays with it
- as others said, it's tricky to get usable feedback amount out of it, even though the knob is huge. It's very easy to overload it (so the sound drowns in feedback) and just a hair length less on the knob gives no discernible feedback at all
- bypass boosts the dry signal level so it's useless for most use cases
- spillover is not the same as disconnecting the input cable, it just lets a single feedback pass through. This means it's also pretty useless, get's silent within a second tops

There's also missing features. Any sort of tempo synchronization would be fantastic, being able to control the timbre of the delay (or just having a way to patch something into the feedback loop) would be great. Stereo output would be awesome. Any of these missing features would trump my gripes with it.

As it stands though, unless you're really into analog signal paths in hardware, get something else. I'm not parting with mine since I learned to use it effectively. But I don't love it.

★★★✩✩

No prob. :)

Not every module is available in True Grid. It's mainly a few Pittsburgh and Doepfer modules.
-- exper

Oh thank you so much you're a legend

Not every module is available in True Grid. It's mainly a few Pittsburgh and Doepfer modules.

When I try to open up my rack in truegrid i only see patches available from my VCA???
Where am i going wrong?

If you do not have any experiance regarding modular syths and how to build them by yourself, my recomendation would be to start virtual modular.
Stop. Dont complain. Read ahead!
If you go to Clavia Nords homepage, you will find a virtual modular synth demoing their (meanwhile dis-continued)hardware-Synthesizer named "G2".
This demo is for FREE and can be found here:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular-g2

If you download it and read the manual, you get an idea of how it is going to be to work with a real modular.
If you start working with it, and you start to wonder why you dont hear anything, its way better to learn this and other Basics in the virtual environment.
This way you avoide the usual traps when starting with modular synthesis from scratch, which is buying modules you realise later on you did not need at all.
Within this virtual modular synth you get hundreds of modules (for free) which you can pull and wire up.
You get voices, oscillators, amps, modulators, input-, output modules, effects and complete synth-voices of course too.

If you start this way and collect your own knowledge from hands on experiance (no matter that its gathered virtually), you will avoide disapointments.
I started this way years ago, and it served me right.

PS: if you start with a Mother32, you have to realise that it may have CV-ins and CV-outs on this synth, but you have to do something with this CVs. Just having the ins and outs does not help you if you do not use this signals or alter/vary this signals somewhere and send them back or somewhere else where they are used for something.
A single Mother32 is alone just a normal synth with one voice.
In regards of modular synthesis, buying a Mother32, its like buying a trailer. You can move in and live inside. But if you want more and move around, you will have to buy an "additional" car thats able to pull it somewhere else.
If you allways want to stay at the same place a Mother32 is fine. If you want to move somewhere else you need to dive deeper into the topic to find out what car you are going to need in the future.
"I want to buy a car" - "Which one, Sir?" - "A blue one" ... is not going to be help you find the correct one.
Try to discover what you want - by learning.
Then, - go shopping!

Not sure where you live, but if there's any chance of visiting a store that sells modular, I couldn't recommend that approach enough, even if it means planning a vacation around it. I was turned on to modular serendipitously by a visit to Rough Trade East in London which had a SchneidersLaden demo room in the back. There's absolutely nothing to compare to hands-on experience with a little in-person expertise to help guide you.

If you do the second hand experience - be very careful. Incredibly, even for expensive modules people often just produce non-descriptive lists of gear without photo or condition. You'll want something in good cosmetic condition - if you love the module, you'll be looking at it for a long time, if you re-sell it, you don't want any difficulties making the next buyer unhappy with it's appearance. You may also want to shoot video of your rig, so it's not enough that the module is simply functional.

Take time to do your research, watch a lot of videos and don't buy too much all at once. Check also the service reputations of the makers - hopefully you won't need it, but it's sure frustrating when after buying a buggy module for $500 you discover that the maker isn't returning anyone's email.

It would also be nice to be able to select multiple modules at once to move as a group. Like dragging a selection over a group or something like that.

That is a tricky one which might come some day but not soon.

-- modulargrid

Been using modulargrid since it's creation, indispensable as mentioned by many.

This one feature request would be amazing. I always have functional blocks of modules that need to be moved together. Swap row doesn't really help in this instance as half of the row needs to moved again anyway.

Also previously mentioned, is it possible in the command centre to rearrange the list. It doesn't seems to arrange alphabetically by rack name, but in a column to row convention rather than a row to column convention. It's hard to arrange it in an order that works.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Daryl

Thread: Stage Rig

Added Livewire Chaos Computer to the rig! https://www.instagram.com/p/BIqeuAWDbuW/

Been reading this thread, to many negative experiences in my view.. For that price at least. Seems like Intellijel is a bit more quality for the price.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152341&highlight=

Sounds perfect to me! I think you'll have a lot of fun with that setup - the Atlantis is super popular and for good reason I think. I thought the Lifeforms looked good - has it had negative reviews?

Thank you for your reply Whunder :-) Been reading a lot of stuff online the last few days and currently I'm most drawn towards the Intellijel Atlantis as it has two VCO's and I've been reading a lot of negative things about the Lifeforms from Pittsburgh. I like the moog sound but as you said, the sequencer seems like a pain. I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand Atlantis with a 2nd hand Mutable Instruments Clouds and a Korg SQ1 as a starter set up. I work with a lot of different materials as a job so building my own case won't be a problem, will be fun actually! I think those modules will give me some fun play time for sure. Like you're saying, the moog feels more like a very cool stand alone unit, but I think the atlantis can stay within a bigger rack as a nice 101 resembling sound. Interested in your thoughts :-)

T

My first module was the Mother 32 and I now have a few others built around it in a small Doepfer (LC6) case. Personally, I did it this way because the M32 packs a lot of features into a single module at a really good price. If you worked out what it would cost to get the same functionality from separate modules, it would be a lot more. The one thing I don't use very often on the M32 is the sequencer, it's too slow to work with. If you like the Moog sound (it does sound Very good), I say start with the M32 and build up around it.

I've actually started to think I might take it out of the case and put it back in its original enclosure, it's really fun to have right in front of you to play and it works very well standalone. Something very 'pure' about it :)

Worth noting that the tank that comes with this is huge! Doesn't fit in my LC6 case, does produce a nice long decay though... this is a quality spring reverb. Befaco make great modules.

Very good transaction with @manolah - great comms and quick delivery with tracking. Cheers!

Hi, can this be used for static CV generation without inputs (in the same way that the U-110 does) too?

Hi everybody,

I'm looking on some advice about where to start. Would getting something like a Mother 32, a Lifeforms or Intellijel Atlantis set up be a nice segue in to a modular set up, or would you recommend saving up some extra money and start off with some separate modules? Something like a DPO + Optamix + Maths or a cheaper Doepfer set up and get that 99,- external korg sequencer for instance... My current way of working has been with ableton but I find it boring and uninspiring and want to be more hands on and playful. Wise words welcome! Thank you :-)

Best, R

Hi this is my first post in this wonderful world

ModularGrid Rack
This is what i have ordered so far after reading forums and watching videos for quite some time.
I plan on adding a sequencer in the future but for now am i on the right track?
Any advice/comments/suggestions very welcome and appreciated

Thank you for looking

Hhm, that's quite the list! Meaning you probably will want to be prepared for everything ;-)

As for syncing things up the pro way, look at the ACME4 ( http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/snd-acme4.html ).
You will want a MIDI interface in your modular, probably going both ways. If you plan on sending CV from the computer to the modular you will need a special interface like the ES-1 (http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html) .Question 3. Are you looking into processing outboard audio inside the modular? That would need interfaces for each chan to bring the outside line level up to modular voltage and another interface module for bringing it back down for the mixer.

Start by looking at the interfaces of your most important boxes and get modules to connect them to your modular. To have all the connecting options you will face about a complete row of interfacing. See http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/hardware.html for inspiration.

At a minimum, you need a module that accepts and syncs to audible clicks/triggers and outputs a trigger or gate to sync your modules. Stick your drum machine's rim shot in it and your modules will follow the drum tempo. Probably both Maths and Disting can do that, read the manuals.

PS: Only saw your updated rack after posting.
Do you already have the Make Noise CV bus module?
AFAIK it is sold as part of their shared system only.