Yep, the Tempi + Rene combo has a backplane connection that locks these up as sort of a "hybrid" single module with pretty elaborate clocking tricks. Also notice the dual logic module next to the Tempi, which allows you to majorly screw with how clock pulses get generated and from what. In theory, you could lock the Rene to the Tempi, then use two other clock modifiers to mess with how those interact in the logic gates.

If you don't know about Boolean logic, you'd better! Using Boolean gates to create complex gate patterns is a killer way to get even more out of a system than JUST having a clock. What Boolean logic is are basic operators and how they react to incoming gate signals...

AND only fires a gate when both inputs to a gate are active

OR only fires when there's a gate on one or the other input. These can also be used to combine pulses, which is why you see so many pulse adder-type modules

NOR only fires a gate when there are NO gates at EITHER input

and NAND only fires when both inputs are NOT active, but is on in all other states.

You can also get the "N" via using an inverter on the gate output so that the gate's resulting "high" state converts to zero, and vice versa. But these slightly-confusing Boolean gates kick the door off the hinges when it comes to creating complicated patterns...and all you need are a couple of gates to input. Now, as for the rest of the Pam's trickery, did you look at this?: https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2.html You'll note that the FH-2 isn't JUST a MIDI interface, but it ALSO has some sneak functions that kinda overlap with a Pam's. Have a look at that link.

Now, where to start for building...my suggestion would be to start with the top row and then you can work on how to optimally use the synth's voicing. Then the second row, which should be fillable at that point since Tiptop should have some of their Buchla "t" series modules ready. Get used to how the modulation works, and how it works together with the top row's voicing. THEN do the control row on the bottom. By getting used to the primary functions of each row one at a time, when you finally get to the point of implementing MIDI and a controller, you'll be very much up to speed.

I would be interested in how others from the forum build their rack if they want to play it completely live. Do you have a central module with which you control your system or do you have ready-made SEQUENCES? For example, melody, bass and drums?
-- FWGW

I don't think you're going to find too many people using "canned" sequence tracks or prepacked libraries around here...

As for how to play a modular "completely live", there's literally no guidebook to that process. A "live" system is just as likely to have some type of MIDI interface as a "studio" system. Plus, that's not the only way to control a modular via some sort of computer interface...you can use a DC-coupled digital audio interface or a purpose-built DAW to Modular module such as the ones Expert Sleepers makes.

As for my "modular sandbox"...there's no real "central module", either. That part of the studio is set up so that pretty much anything goes, given that modulars ALSO tend to fall into the "anything goes" zone as well. Sometimes I'll use some ad hoc clock distribution, but that's about the only "typical" thing I do.

Once again I totally agree. Thanks guys for your advices.

About mixing : For the moment I mainly use the 321 as attenuator / offset, and I plan to acquire a 3xmia for the same reasons because the voltage block suffers from a lack of attenuations (why malekko did not include this option ?? Why ??!!!). In addition to that, pamela is not bipolar, it will also be very useful to me to modulate its signals. I use my matrix mixer in combo of marbles (marbles 4 cv out, matrix 4 in, it looks like they were made to meet). Regarding tesseract and audio mixing, I think I overestimated my current needs a bit. On the other hand, I absolutely need to improve my stereo mixing capacity, so I think I will start with a single stereo module and drop the mono. The send / return will bring me a big plus to optimize the use of my effects / sidechains. For the rest, I don't have much left to buy to complete this project and it is indeed always a plus to have a little room to meet my future needs ... the maestro looks amazing !!!! I had heard about it without paying much attention to it. Just watched a video...this module looks totaly insane to perform on the fly! I want this !

Thanks again and sorry for my english wich is not my main language.

Cheers !

I discovered a possibility of extension to the M303 that might interest you with MI Warps + Soundmachines LS1lightstrip... see the Mylar Melodies video below.
Note the final budget, but you apparently will get a true enlargement of the 303 spirit. It’s very surprising...
For my part, I almost opted for the Behringer TD-3 simply, as I had indeed done with the RD-6. But, from my point of view, if drum machines (like mixers) are more obvious and tactile in a traditional desk solution, I have preferred 2 basic modules to combine with other tools I already have (like Optomix, modDemix, Synchrodyne, Bloom...). That's an inexpensive solution and takes little space too (6HP): Pico VCO2 + VCF1!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Wow Lugia!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond in depth! There are a number of modules in there that I am not familiar with so I'll have to do a little research.

It looks like the Buchla stuff hasn't been released yet so I'll have to wait on exploring those, but I'm really excited to dig into you suggestions!

You only have the Trident in there for oscillators. Think that will be enough with that setup? I guess you are considering I have a Moog Grandmother too and the disting.

Are you mostly suggesting the Tempi over a PNW because it pairs with Rene? From videos I've watched I feel like i'm leaning toward PNW.

Last questions. Where would you start with your suggestions? I can't get everything at once and some have not released yet.

Again thanks for your time!

Supersaw oscillators are on my wish list since they are the core of trance music. Maybe in year or so. Looking at Acid Rain Chainsaw, Saich and others. Instruo modules are hella expensive and so may go with cheaper ones.
-- sacguy71

Cheap Chainsaw is nice to have sound allway gread!

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

this user has left ModularGrid

Supersaw oscillators are on my wish list since they are the core of trance music. Maybe in year or so. Looking at Acid Rain Chainsaw, Saich and others. Instruo modules are hella expensive and so may go with cheaper ones.

I have been enjoying the saw coming from my Ts-L :)
One thing I wish modular builders would start doing is switching the dials they use for coarse vs fine adjustments. I think the fine adjustment should always use the bigger dial...IMHO

JB

Hi,

I was wondering what filter would pair nice with the Qu-bit chords. I've tried to use both a roland vcf 512 and a system80 860 but the results where rather poor.

Anyone has experience with this module through filters?

Thanks
Mat

This IS a nishe supersaw,

If you loking 4 a analoge supersaw you will find no better solution jet (11.2021) (only Happy nerding supersawtor, but you need more that one module 4 a good sounding patch).
It takes a bit to patch one one Saich, but once you found you will get that this sound is analoge and push true nice filters or fx it get realy chilli!

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

There are some nice "performing" sequencers. Or you need a keyboard and play live some root elements.
I think you can't avoid one of these two approaches if you want to improvise with others...

the modules will be available in Sonic-sales in about 2-3 weeks

im definatly getting one,thanks Lugia for pointing my awareness to these modules

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Quadrax with the expander is an incredible tool. Also check out the Maestro from Acid Rain Technology that gives you six programmable channels of complex modulation and you can save the presets for recall later. It’s a super fun module geared toward live performance.

Take a look at sequential switches and matrix mixers. Some let you create presets for recall. I’m having a blast right now using Livestock Electronics Maze that lets you build and save presets of cv control for recall later. So you can do cool stuff like fade in and fade out with patterns.

Build = $7110 on modules alone, add another $1200 for the cab, so $8310 or thereabouts. Maybe. Could be worse, actually.

Two Moog Matriarchs + Two Korg SQ-1s = $4658 street.

Result makes no fiscal sense at all to implement. Technically, the entire build itself is redundant.

What would be FAR more sensible would be to get the Matriarchs and SQ-1s (or wait for Uli to start kicking out the BCR32s), then use a smaller cab such as a Mantis to add modules to arrive at that "more functionality". Otherwise, this is a very expensive exercise in why one doesn't build polyphonic modulars unless you have a laundry hamper or two full of Benjamins lying around. The smaller build can also contain a number of modules that can let the Matriarchs link in various ways for a full-on eight voices with a lot of extra "trickery", plus extra FX processors to beef up their sound.

Also, keep in mind that while it IS bigger than the Quadrax/Qx pairing, we're getting the Buchla 281...same sort of idea, but with an additional quadrature function. My applications of the Quadrax/Qx are actually derived from using a 281 YEARS ago, and recognizing that that module was straight-up KILLER. Sure, it takes another 8 hp, but this is one of those times that the extra space is VERY justified.

Several things, but I've tried to get some of those back into the build.
ModularGrid Rack
OK...Row #1: I put in a Doepfer A-119 so that your input can also have an envelope follower, allowing you to fire gates and output the dynamic info as CV in addition to getting the sound into the box. Kept the buffered mult since there's a lot of potential pitch CV needs in this. Then Wogglebug, Trident, Veils, VCF-74...and then a different filter altogether. Since you had the 2hp vowel in there, which is sort of a restrictive module, I blew that open by adding Limaflo's Motomouth vocal formant VCF, allowing ANY sound to have vocal characteristics. The Minsk then takes the mono signal we've had through the voicing and allows that to be formed into stereo...with a few extra tricks such as being able to use a Mid/Side matrix to broaden the sound to OUTSIDE of the stereo field. Lastly, FX Aid and then the Clouds clone.

Row #2: Went nuts here. You needed random, so you got THE random source. Does about a bazillion things, which you'd expect from a Buchla module. Maths comes next, then there's this mixer/scrambler module from Modulaire Maritime that can process modulation, paired with a triple linear VCA for controlling mod levels. Then Buchla's fine 281t is there for a pile of functions. Envelopes, obviously...but way more than that, plus you can have quadrature pairs of mod signals. Kept the Magneto, also.

Row #3: Took out the other EXPENSIVE AF MIDI interface and went with a more capable and cheaper one from Expert Sleepers. Then I added a bit of logic via Tesseract's dual VC logic gates. And then...I think I've fixed your Rene problem; the Tempi module is designed to work as Rene's clock source as well as a complex time source, plus it opens up a few "hidden" Rene functions. This should make it a lot smoother to work with, and also eliminates the need for a Pam's. Annnnd...once that's fixed, the Triad/Arpitecht pair should be somewhat more straightforward to use. MUXslicer is next so that it can either work as an adjunct sequencer or an audio MUX, then your Disting EX is after that, right by the last Veils...which serves as a VCA "front end" for the Doepfer A-138s.

But yeah...some of the issues definitely came down to not having the paired modules in a couple of cases. Once they're in, it opens those modules up and that then frees the other modules up from you needing to worry about whether or not you've got the right modules. And that Tempi can also kick up the MUXslicer's game by providing a complex clock for it as well. This should be able to really tear up now.

just got a email from the EMW guys,they will send a bunch of sub-osc generator modules in their next shipment to Sonic-sales in germany
-- Broken-Form

Hellzyeah! These should be quite useful, as they're JUST the suboscillator and the two-position waveshaper. A lot of times, you'll find the suboctaves tacked onto other devices, sort of like an afterthought, but this is tailor-made for subbass.

Definitely check their other stuff...EMW's been a real unsung hero in cheaper modules. They seemed to go through a bad patch a few years back, but they're back on mission again, apparently.

And don't forget: tons of VERY capable computers are out there, too...thanks to corporations that constantly turn over their equipment, often due to tax purposes. The ability to snag a major-scale Xeon workstation for $1000 that can outstrip most any typical consumer-grade computer...there's nothing like it, really. True, they're not new, but they're often available in full refurbs via joints like Newegg or on Amazon as well.

Possible future plans to build essentially two Moog Matriarchs (with more functionality) in one all-Doepfer rack with two sequencers. Advice on potentially saving space for more modules in the future or getting rid of necessary redundant ones would be appreciated :)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Okay, well based on your use case outlined about, I would additionally suggest you hold off adding in-rack mix capacity till you know you need it. Mix modules appear (to me) overrepresented in your current build above.

BTW a few months ago I went nuts with getting in-rack mix capacity, more than I had proved I needed, and it is basically unused in my rack.

RE Stages or Quadrax+Expander, yes either of those would likely serve you well. I have Stages and love it BUT it can be hard to learn how to use without an Oscilloscope as it is very powerful and depends greatly on how it is patched. Quadrax I don't own but I've heard good things; I suspect that one might be a little more direct in usage vs. Stages. But both are good options.

Good luck, enjoy!

I must give another shout out to Joranalogue Morph 4 for its ability to mix / morph / scan signals (CV or audio) even at audio rate. NOT a signal source, and not super cheap, but an interesting and powerful tool for experimental stuff & sound design.

Bonjour titifoufou et beinvenue
si vous voudrais communiquer avec des autres sur le forum, c'est plus bon en anglais
si vous trouvez cela difficile, peut-être que google translate peut vous aider - juste comme ça
excusez-moi ma francais - c'est la francais de un garcon d'ecole anglais

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

ModularGrid Rack

Hey everyone!

Thinking of selling and buying some modules for my Eurorack and would love some opinions.

My current setup is the Rack above and a Moog Grandmother.

I mostly use it for Acid like bass lines, drones, and other random things but I'd like to maybe sell a few things and buy some new ones.

Thinking of selling
Arpitech - because...its ok but I don't love using it.
Rene - I like it but maybe sell this for a Metropolix

Also, I have a lot of room for new things. Been thinking about a Pam's New Workout, Happy Nerding 3xMIA, HN fx aid, an X Y controller, Ls1 Lightstrip maybe another Oscillator or a Jove Filter.

What do you think is missing from this setup?

Le rainier en kick/snare rentre dans la FM lineaire du ZPO qui joue un arpege, le tout en polyritme

Another data point, for what it's worth: I ordered from Detroit Modular and Perfect Circuit when the Hallowe'en sales were announced on the evening of Oct 27. Detroit Modular free shipping was via USPS, which arrived the morning of Oct 30. It is Nov 1, and the Perfect Circuit order (also free shipping, but FedEx) is crawling across the country, currently in Iowa.

I know that Postmaster General DeLay is trying to ruin USPS, but if we stop using it, he will win.

Thanks Garfield,

Yes, I invested in stock market that has performed well to buy nice modular synth gear and guitar stuff. At this point, I will probably not buy anything for another year or two since I need to renovate my home and pool. That said, I have plenty to learn, keep busy and make music with. I figure with the Make Noise shared system and my two large modular systems, it will take me to new places for years to come.

just got a email from the EMW guys,they will send a bunch of sub-osc generator modules in their next shipment to Sonic-sales in germany

Aha! I was working on adding new stuff and making corrections on EMW's listings, and the very thing needed here just happens to be one of their modules: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-sub-osc-generator

The very thing, with 1 and 2 octave suboscillator, "tone" control (waveshaping, basically), fits in 6 hp and only costs $69 + shipping from Brazil. I would suggest going direct with EMW, also...their distribution can be spotty in some locations.

And oh, yeah...it's got its own 4-point passive mult to boot!
-- Lugia

that looks awesome,the thing is the tax to denmark is probaly gonna be way more than the price of the module itself,cant find any EU retailers?

Hi,

Thank you for all your good advices.

I fully agree with you regarding the lack of lfo / envelopes. I haven't caught a quadra yet and I think I'll save some more money for a quadrax or a stages...seems more valuable. I mainly use this rack to jam in my studio and do a few lives. I have an additional yamaha mixer. I rarely record what I do and do not want to integrate the computer into my setup.

Ill take a look at the layout too !

Thanks again !

Exactly Lugia. We have lots of choices now at more affordable prices than ever before. I mean modular is not cheap but studio equipment is fantastic now we can get quality studio monitors, free or low cost DAW software and mixers for a fraction of what it would cost decades ago. I’m looking forward to recording modular into tracks once my 1010 Bluebox arrives and remixing into Ableton or Reaper than add to Morphagene for creating more unique mixes once my new Make Noise Shared System arrives.

Just like a real Porsche, there is no substitute for the real thing.
-- sacguy71

Too true! Frankly, I'm STILL boggled over both Tiptop taking this on AND how much they cost! And yeah, we can now cross-merge a BUNCH of classic modules (well...some are clones, but yeah) into builds that, back when these modules were NEW, would simply not be possible because none of this stuff talked the same "protocol". Buchla 258 + ARP 2600 oscillators -> Steiner Synthacon VCF -> Roland 100M VCAs & Buchla 281 and Maths for mod sources is a patch that simply could not be done, period. At least, not back then...

Aha! I was working on adding new stuff and making corrections on EMW's listings, and the very thing needed here just happens to be one of their modules: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-sub-osc-generator

The very thing, with 1 and 2 octave suboscillator, "tone" control (waveshaping, basically), fits in 6 hp and only costs $69 + shipping from Brazil. I would suggest going direct with EMW, also...their distribution can be spotty in some locations.

And oh, yeah...it's got its own 4-point passive mult to boot!

Hi Sacguy71,

Well indeed, that would be my reason to have such Cat module too, just a nice gimmick, lots of fun :-)

Wow, that's a very nice Christmas gift you are giving yourself there! I can't wait till you receive it and you post your first few videos about that. Have pre-fun with it and let me know once you received it. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

No worries Garfield and I prefer larger modules but the 2hp are ok. Now the cat module is more of a gimmick spice module and I did buy on a whim impulse but it adds spice to my modular. I do have a Make Noise Shared System on the way next week for my XMAS gift to myself after waiting 3 years to find one for sale! I originally wanted that for my first eurorack voyage but went different direction 2 years ago so all good.

Hi Sacguy71,

Thank you :-) Ah, okay understood now, 2 HP brand, yes that one we can buy here too :-) Pity the Cat has been sold out then. Looks like the Nip has been sold out too. Kind regards, Garfield.

@saladmix, some quick comments:

-- layout could be improved. If I was using it, I'd have i) all oscillators upper ii) all filters / waveshapers iii) all CV iv) all FX, roughly ordered from upper left to lower right, with Utilities put in where most convenient. Layout is rather subjective but IMO this could be improved somewhat.

-- overall the rack design seems pretty solid BUT maybe a bit unbalanced in terms of % of modules. Maybe a bit heavy on oscillators/voices and on mixing capacity, may be a bit light on envelopes/LFOs and utilities.

-- recommended adds if you have space: the expanders for Metropolix and/or Quadra. These are low HP/$s high value adds. Instruo Ochd is a good way to add LFO capacity.

-- maybe I missed it but what is the signal in/out setup here? Are you going into a DAW for recording, etc.? Do you have enough in/out for current and future needs? Something like Expert Sleepers ES-8 or 9 might be worth considering if needed.

That's about all I can offer for now without knowing more about your intended use cases. How many voices do you want to get out of this at one time? And what is the main use scenario -- recording into DAW, jamming for fun, etc?

Hi,

Here is my set up. it is almost complete, I still have to acquire a few modules and as long as I have some room left, I would like to have some advice to be sure I'm on the right track.

Note that I use a pro beatstep as an external sequencer and a tr8s for drums.

ModularGrid Rack

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1710922.jpg

Thank you

+1000 on the Mimeophon and I also like Happy Nerding FX Aid so much these two modules can do.

Hi Garfield,

Same to you, I was lucky to jump on the 2HP promo for the Cat v2 and Nip modules as they sold out quickly that day. 2HP is a local modular firm based in southern California so not that far from me maybe 300 miles so I received the cat modules in 2 days after ordering. The individual modules are 2HP in size but both combined are 4HP. Cat is weird feline sounds and Nip is an FX module that together form the whole feline and they light up in different colors as they are modulated and used.

Beautiful! Really captures the spirit of Syd Mead too. Great job.

Hi Gumbo23,

He, he, did you had some more rain in Bristol? Well, either way, the result is yet again a great track! Nice ambient and sci-fi kind of jam. You managed to get quite a few nice and interesting sounds built-in there, great to listen at!

I don't mind to hear more from your Modular Cyberpunk series :-) Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Happy Halloween! :-) Ha, ha, funny module that Cat Nip, didn't know about that one! Pity we can't buy it here at a German dealer, at least not that I am aware of it. Can't even find it here on modulargrid.net! Did you got it from a local shop? Pity to hear it's sold out!

You write here and in your video that it's 2 HP, are you sure, isn't it 4 HP?

Thanks a lot for this funny jam and nice demo of the Cat Nip and kind regards, Garfield.

Lugia is 100x correct. I would get the new Tiptop Buchla modules over Verbos and save money. Plus lot of issues on reliability and lack of customer support from what I've heard with Verbos. My next build will have tiptop buchla and random source Serge modules. Just like a real Porsche, there is no substitute for the real thing.

A celebration of the legend that is Syd Mead.

Patch notes: Odessa and TšL running through Panharmonium then Desmodus Versio, modulated by Batumi. Plaits through Wave Swarm and into Typhoon. All sequencing by Usta.

Mutable Instruments Beads, Rings and Plaits are my favorites with Plaits.

Interested in hearing whats your favorite modules for maling textures Are?

And not meaning revers and delay modules

BUT ONLY Eurorack Modules.

Right now im just using a 2hp play module loaded with my own samples

But what is out there thats interesting and dont cost an arm and a leg.

Thank you so much for the feedback and support @Sweelinck. This really means a lot.
You bring up a great point about the sense of place coming through in our music, whether intentionally or not. Our musical heroes are just a small part of what influences our artistry, and as much as I love the music of Berlin, Manchester, NYC, or Rio de Janeiro, I will only be able to authentically express what it sounds like to be in this Midwestern place. There are two pioneering Ohio electronic/synth-punk bands (Devo and Brainiac) that I always thought sounded so out of place for the landscape and culture of Ohio, but I realize as I'm getting older that they are exactly what Ohio sounds like.
Again, thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. Hopefully, the next time I share something I will have my ideas fleshed out a bit more. I really love this idea of capturing the local environment and "zeitgeist". :)

Fun jam today with my new 2HP Cat modules