The idea was to provide a "standard" instrument arrangement (e.g. bass, drums, lead, arp) in a single system, while still allowing for some wierd-sound exploration. And that's really my goal with modular - sound exploration in a non-DAW environment.
-- jtunes_ia

Hello and welcome to MG !
While that sounds like an epic goal (hell, I had the same when I started), I want to offer my personal experience on the matter. Bear in mind, it's only that, advice coming from my personal experience :-)
The fact is that modular is very expensive so as Lower Rhythm very well puts it, you want the use of your hard earned money to be maximized and for the type of electronic music you refer to, any drum machine will maximize $$$ way better than any drum module. I tried - and sorta failed - to go down the road of complete groovebox when I started my journey, and eventually bought back a small MPC for the drum duties because I realized that what I was doing with drum modules was a subset of what I can do with an MPC/Digitakt/Deluge (I had extensive prior experience with that sort of groovebox device before), and that if I wanted to justify having modular drums, it would 1. require a lot more supporting modules (modulation sources, submixers, etc) which cost $$$ and 2. perhaps more importantly, require a lot of attention/time to actually handle the complexity of modular drums.
If you buy a 2nd hand drum machine, you can test drive that setup for at least a few months and not loose any cash if you decide to resell the drum machine. Same goes for most 2nd hand modules BTW, what a nice way to try things out (but the selling/buying can take some time and patience). You can then plan a very small modular setup to start getting your hands dirty (but please consider VCV first, a lot of learning there if you're ok with using computers for music), if you're inventive you could most likely use it to synthetize most of your synth sounds and even produce drum-ish sounds for your sample-based drum machine. I can almost guarantee that Digitakt/MPC+ a small well-thought-of 104HP modular can get you pretty far already, and most importantly as Wishbone Brewery said it, it will be fun for a long while.
Hope this helps ;)
D.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Yeah, that must how they started with the child labor at Nike, « it makes things cheaper ». It’s all fine, carry on…

They even added the same boost switch. Bruh…

but rat king is not https it is http and as such unsecure - bad practice for a web shop - I would not buy anything from their site due to this
-- JimHowell1970

Rat King's website is not a webshop, it redirects to synthrotek's webshop (which offers a valid certificate) for purchases, you're "safe" ;-)

Ha, I was on the wrong website, assumed we were talking Synthrotek but that was a reference to Rat King Modular's poor security choices. Carry on.

Weird, synthrotek.com presents a valid certificate to me, a cert from Sectigo valid until September. If you see something else, it may be related to the browser you are using ?

I'm not sure if its possible yet, but could I modulate the Quadrax with Maths (or vice versa)? if so, does anybody have any suggestions to try out?
-- jb61264

Can you ? Oh boy, not only you can, but I would say it's what it was made for, go crazy on that !
You can start by having a look at this excellent video from Intellijel themselves going over CV assignments on Quadrax - it is a really clever system and the one of the main arguments behind my own purchase of that same module:

Here's the Math's illustrated manual: https://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resources/systems/CREATE_teachingSynth/manuals/8c_Maths2013-V1.11-printable.pdf

There's even more content out there, if you have the time, have fun ;-)

their (clearly unsecured!!!) website
-- Lugia

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that ? It's not as clear for me :-)

I am always surprised by anti Behringer comments.
-- greenfly
Have you considered this might be due to your lack of information rather than the lack of evidence ? Or do you believe all these people calling Uli anti-semitic are doing it for funsies ?
Comments like "sure, they did it wrong, but so did others so it's ok" are a way to encourage mediocrity, in my view not something any intelligent person would want to encourage.
Oh, and I have a feeling your assumption about Eurorack being overpriced is coming from that same place of "I don't know but I'll have an opinion anyway"... There are already threads on the subject at least on ModWiggler, probably here as well, inform yourself.

Rings into Marbles ? Now, that's adventurous but at least it differs from the old Rings-To-Clouds everyone started sharing years ago which was getting a bit old

See, my philosophy is that Eurorack is too darn expensive to do things with it I can do with other cheaper devices, not to mention it's also a bit space intensive. When I was making only "regular" techno with a sound similar to the bands you mention, I was basically just using a couple of good samplers (octatrack + MPC or Digitakt) along with a couple of good synths (varies with taste, I'm a sucker for the Elektron workflow so in my case, that was Analog Four and Digitone). The only reason I went to modular was because I wanted to make weirder music which needed very specific tools: in my case, complex oscillators with wavefolder which Arturia's Pigment and Serum sort of got on my radar, crazy wavetable VCO's and filters I can touch as opposed to VST's, ways to have extensive control over complex modulation, and a hands-on modulation "controller" which I built with things like Intellijel's Tetrapad and Malekko's Voltage Block.

So what do YOU need ? Well, assuming you picked those Mutable Instruments modules because you like the sound of it, the first thing that comes to mind is not modular but the Elektron Digitone. It essentially gives you 4 tracks - more than what you have above - for a fraction of the price. It sounds beautiful, the design is really clever so what appears as a small object is actually quite capable, for me it's the king of the "inexpensive" digital synths. You also have the ability to go poly with it, you gain a powerful step sequencer and it's MIDI like your other devices.

I think you considering that option and then telling me why the DN is not (or maybe it is) a good option for you would help design a modular system that fits your needs, right now I have too little information to determine what those are...

And looking at what you built, the most obvious omissions in my opinion are
-at least one additional modulation source, for me it would be Voltage Block or maybe Marbles
-ways to combine modulation like Links/Kinks and/or a matrix mixer and Maths
-probably a proper EG like Quadrax to free up Stages
-a good analog filter

The modules in my rack I use the most when making ambient-related stuff:

• XAOC Zadar
  • Intellijel Quadrax
  • Make Noise Mimeophon
  • Make Noise Morphagene
  • Ornaments & Crime
  • Squard Hermod
  • Mutable Instruments Marbles

Pretty cool, it reminded me of Pink Floyd's On The Run but with a softer, more gentle timbre, thanks for sharing

Great advice from Jim here, and note he also included NaN, the expander for Zadar which I think is a must-have, especially for ambient types of music that will greatly benefit from the additional CV input per channel and the ability to trigger the shapes manually.
I also think that for a build where space is limited, the FX Aid is an instant win, absolutely gorgeous sounding algos and again, I think Jim's choice of the XL version is a good one for your type of music, the additional CV input and the CV over sample rate is pretty useful.
Something else to consider in such a small build: do you really need that buffered mult ? If you remove it, you'd have space for an Erica Pico module, for example, and you could use inline mults instead...
And also another vote for Jim's advice on a bigger rack, if you can afford it of course, if you don't mind the small-sized modules a 7U 104HP would get you far ;)
Actually I could've just written "Jim was right" and called it a day

I bought one recently and have no regrets, the CV matrix is a really clever design and once you have remembered all the button combinations, this module offers a lot of power in relatively few HP. Oh, and the link modes are also very very useful for creating complex yet controllable modulation. I initially thought it was a bit on the expensive side but it's actually great value for the money imho...
Another win for the robots :-)

Hi Diego,

What type of music do you make ? What do you hope this rack will achieve ? I see some shortcomings but I wouldn't want to advise on anything before knowing what you want this build to be...

Let us know more about what you want to do with modular and maybe we can help ;)

Diego (yeah, me too)

Hi Matteo,
I'm putting another vote in for the FX Aid, I have the XL version (it's 6HP) and have been continuously impressed by the algos on offer, sounds fantastic as end of chain effect, probably the best value for the money and fits in your budget. The fact that it has so many possible effects, some of which combining for example a delay and a reverb make it an excellent choice for someone in your situation with no FX module in the rack yet, even if you add larger and/or more specialized FX modules, this one will most certainly retain its value in the rack...
Another choice to consider I think and also within budget is the Noise Engineering Versio thing (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-desmodus-versio). It is less flexible than the FX Aid in the sense that one needs to switch firmware to change the effect, but on the other hand the CV control options is way more extensive, and the algos are more specialized I think. NE is very very good at making digital modules and this one is no exception I believe, I've heard excellent stuff in the demos of the Desmodus Versio (the reverb) and the Ruina Versio (the distortion), probably a better choice for those looking to integrate the effect as part of the sound design rather than just end of chain. But all this is from the demos I've seen, haven't actually tried the thing myself...
As always, research extensively before you buy and you'll be allright :)
D.

Operation on Zadar is fast enough IMO, in fact the presence of the screen makes it easier for me than my new Quadrax for which I have to remember button combinations, whereas I built muscle memory much faster on Zadar. One thing to remember though is that it only accept triggers, so if you need the envelope to respond to gate length, it won't work, gate lengths are ignored and considered as a trigger. It is particularly good at very complex modulation, either very fast or very slow, amazing for ambient types of music.
Stages is also very useful because it's not only a configurable EG, it can be LFO's, S&H, so it can adapt very well to your patching needs, you can even mix & match. But if you're looking for ADSR, it might not be your best bet, it can only do one at a time (you need to use 4 out of 6 available stages for an ADSR).
I had my eyes on the Quadigy before settling for a Quadrax instead, it may be a good choice for quad ADSR. It has menus but the UI/UX design seems clever enough to make it a non-issue I think, although I never actually tried it and would recommend one does before purchase.
Good luck with your research and hope you find something that makes you musically happy ;-)

Of course, I'd advise you to at least look into what Jim is suggesting first, as it's the cheapest option and you never know, you can always find the building phase entertaining as well. But if your needs are very specific and you don't feel comfortable with building yourself, I can wholeheartedly recommend MDLR, Arjan is a well recognized and reliable builder, and I've read that he also makes custom orders: https://www.mdlrcase.com/

About prices, I put a cap of 1000$.
-- bling12345

Here's the thing with modular: it's darn expensive, I mean look at the average MINIMUM price Lugia put up for a BASIC build, it already costs double your budget, and I'd says that average price is probably already squeezing all the value out of every dollar. Forget about cheap and good, there's some functions you can get for cheap thanks to manufacturers like Ladik, but that's still cheap in Eurorack terms, not actually cheap. If you pay cheap, you get cheap, not necessarily in terms of build quality but rather module design, functionality per HP, etc. There's DIY as well, but you need to be a little handy with an iron, and that's still just cheaper, not cheap.

Honestly, for that amount of money, I don't think there's a way to get both into patching little cables and getting an efficient/interesting instrument to use for music production. What you will get is a setup that will offer less functionality than a "regular" synth around the same price, and that means that at some point you will have to invest more money to transform that "basic starter setup" into something that can do more than say an Elektron Analog 4. I get the interest for modular (I wouldn't be here if I didn't) but you need to understand what it means financially. I personally love the idea of the 0-Easel so if you insist on going Eurorack, I'd start with that, at least it makes for a unique interesting instrument and a lot of exploration...

Thread: Eurocrack

There are quite a few reasons why you shouldn't share your phone number publicly, let's just say it's not safe. Google it.

Expensive indeed, and I feel the financial strain is not the only one, Eurorack is demanding in terms of time and discipline as well, there is less hand-holding and easy roads than with other synths so it takes way more time to master one's instrument, especially since it may be evolving as we swap out modules.
But the payback is superb: near infinite possibilities if you build your rack right, and continuous gratification from every point of view - sound, user interface, community surrounding it, modular is a gift that keeps on giving.
Glad we get to enjoy it together ;-)

How do you like the Maestro ? I had assumed that's a module one would almost always rack in the lowest row to play the buttons, but I see you haven't, no problem dialing in LFO's on the fly, or are you only using it for random voltages ? Being able to "design" synchronized LFO on the fly is something I think I could really use, but my lowest row I use for 'control' modules is sorta full, I'd have to shuffle things around a bit to include it, looks dope though, especially since now they finally included that internal attenuation that was preventing me from jumping on it... Looking forward to your (and anyone else's) perspective on this :)

Thanks Garfield,

Yes that is my MDLR 14u case. I am trying to figure out what 1u modules would be worth getting- any recommendations?
Rossum modules are fun and very powerful yet steep learning curve.
-- sacguy71

I have the same case, Arjan really is a great case maker! And I'm in the same boat, sort of, I still have a lot of 1U space to fill :-)

I think the most used 1U module in my case is the 1U Ornaments&Crime by Plum Audio (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/plum-audio-1uo-c-4robots), it's awesome they managed to find a way to fit O&C into that format, it's pretty large (30H) but definitely worth the space in a 14U in my opinion. If you don't have an O&C in your rack yet, you may want to get into that, I'm sure you would love it. If I remember well, you don't exactly need more clocking but for others, Plum Audio also makes a 1U version of Temps Utile, pretty cool. And if you want MI Peaks, they also make a module based on that in 1U called Apex. Highly recommend manufacturer, Shay is a super nice person on top of being a good engineer...

I'm really into distortion so I'm a big fan of Ritual Electronics's Guillotine (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ritual-electronics-guillotine), 2 channels of powerful and tasty distortion with a character switch, I love it. They also make a few other modules in 1U I haven't tried, like some noise, comparator, analog switch, etc.

There is of course the obvious ones from Intellijel, I don't think I could operate my rack without at least one Quadratt and I'll add a Noise Tools as soon as I can, just too useful. If you didn't have a Metron, I'd recommend the Steppy, it's dangerously fun, but you probably don't need yet another gate sequencer...

Finally, you may want to wait for reports on Mosaic modules (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=933&SearchFunction=&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=&SearchTe=&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=newest&direction=asc). I just saw those appear and the line up looks interesting, I could use a playable ADSR in 1U for example, I'll definitely keep an eye on that myself.

Hopefully that will be of some help, take care !
D.

Hey Funbun,

Your videos are always a treat, I've said so before but I find so much poetry in the way you film and layer your music over those peaceful images, I'm transported right there with you. Definitely sign me up for that B&B.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride once more ;-)

All the best,
D.

My thought was to build out the top row first by adding the first four modules and then playing/experimenting with those for a few months until I add the other four and then again playing around with everything for a few months before doing the same on the bottom row. Is that a realistic approach considering the recommended build?

-- jb61264

Totally makes sense, in fact that is what I would recommend you do, no need to rush into spending cash, you already have fun machines so adding to it little by little should be enough and allow for proper learning. Try and pick modules that will immediately bring something to the table, you'd have to seriously look at the patchbay on your existing synths but I'd probably go for Quadrax + Maths + Veils, those 3 alone have the power to rock !
Take your time to study Lugia's answer as well, not only here but other builds he did if you have time, loads of learning to do there as well. Ah, and don't forget to copy the proposed build, Lugia did comment some time ago that he won't be able to keep everyone's builds on his account forever so if you want to keep the work done for you, do copy the rack into your racks ;-)

Only small modules, cab size is an iPhone case, and Robin f*ing Vincent videos to top it off ? No way this is serious, it's like a rack full of Distings, it's funny to look at but no one is buying it... I hope :-)

Yes, that Turing machine thing in Pam's is nice indeed, I never use it though because I'm more used to Ornaments&Crime or Marbles for that kind of purpose, I wonder if Pam's UI is enough to make it really playable in that regard... I'll be looking forward to your video about it to find out ;-)

Pretty cool sounds and a very nice use of Pam's !
That module loves self patching I found, maybe for a next patch you can try to use one (or 2) of its output to feed one (or both) of the inputs and go to town with CV assignments ;-)
Thanks for sharing, mate !

Right up my alley, thanks for sharing mate :-)

That's a tough question to answer because really, how do you know what all everything can do until you really have your hands on it and try it out? I've watched quite a few videos and its the "modular can do anything/everything you want it to" that makes it difficult to answer that...I want to do the crazy filtering/waveshapping sound design thing for sure with the ability to experiement as well.

This sounds like a job for VCV, it's the next best thing - and it's free :-) I find it perfect to get familiar with what's on offer in modular world when you can't try the modules in the real... I would recommend you spend as much time as possible experimenting with not only synthesis techniques you know, but also trying new stuff. The ideas of what to try can come from replicating a certain module you find interesting and see what you can do with it, trying ideas from youtube videos like proper module reviews (have a look at DivKid's stuff if you haven't already, many ideas he shares are applicable not only to the module on review...) or Patch From Scratch videos and what not - the idea is to try new techniques that you can't achieve with what you have (or realize you can achieve it with what you have, you never know lol) and discover why so many of us get excited by a cascading VCA or clever logic modules. A trick that worked for me was to have a look at the manual from the Disting, and try every listed function in there. Find out if you can come up with a creative way to use a quantizer or if a full wave rectifier could be your favorite thing even if you didn't know about it 5 minutes ago... VCV should give you a good idea of what type of module could be interesting for your setup and your way of doing music. Take people's advice but do try things on your own before buying ;-)
If you have an iOS device, there's also Drambo on there, it's a paid app but I find it a lot of fun, albeit potentially confusing for modular beginners since all connections are hidden and automatic, it might not always be obvious what does what, but it's always fun to use.

Are you absolutely set on this rack size ? What is your budget ?

Yes and No :) I like that it can attach directly to the Minibrute 2 and I could easily carry it if I wanted to take it somewhere. I figured it was a good starting point and if I did things right, could add a few cool things while I'm learning more and then add additional things that would compliment the Hydrasynth and Minibrute until I filled it out...heck if I get completely consumed, (which I'm sure I will) I can see myself doing 'builds' from a square wood case like I've seen in a video series I watched and thought was pretty cool.

Ok, so here's an advice that has to do with building on MG specifically and not with the actual object: try with a much larger build, because you don't have to pay for that yet, as long as it's on here, it's free (well, there's Unicorn, but you have time to see if that's for you later). It will allow to think freely in terms of what the build needs, what makes sense etc, instead of what can fit. That way you may either confirm you had picked the right size or realize you may need bigger right away, but it will be after the dust settles and you have picked a direction. You will read the advice of picking a rack size bigger than what you think you need and I would tend to agree, especially if you are not yet sure of what Eurorack can do for you, I reckon you'll be like most of us and find out very very soon after taking the plunge that you actually need a bigger space to realize your vision, now that you know more about said vision :-)

That's all I have for now, I'll let more experienced builders propose something, maybe someone who knows your synths better and know what they lack - I don't, sorry.

Wish you good fun in your building adventures and see you soon !

Hi !
I hope what I'm about to say will not hinder your will to learn modular, but I honestly think this video is a good example of a bad example :-) See, I don't understand the point of this rack, this looks like something one would throw together from modules you already have on hand just to say it's modular stuff rather than a build you would design as your only rack (no beef with Perfect Circuit though, they put out stuff I enjoy as well and are very nice people)...
In such a (very) small cab, I wouldn't even start thinking about integrating the TipTop One and Varigate just to trigger some samples. Since you're not going for a pure Eurorack setup, a small box like the Model Sample from Elektron or something similar will get you there for the same price and with way more functionality. A used Digitakt or an MPC One would be my first choice for sample duties if you can afford it. There also the software part to consider, IMO the Elektron world is slightly better than Akai's, but that's another discussion entirely, just think about it before buying and make sure to inform yourself extensively ;)
Keeping the drums out would allow for your Eurorack setup to be entirely dedicated to improving your existing synth setup. Crazy modulation and analog filtering/waveshaping is what I consider the main advantage Eurorack can offer to an existing synth setup like yours, so if this was for me, I'm not even sure I'd keep the 810 (maybe just get an 860 if you want that JOVE filter sound) and I would rather try to focus on using what the Eurorack format is particularly good at to expand/improve my existing synths. I would think about some nice filter designs the likes of which you only see in modular, say Make Noise QPAS, Xaoc Belgrad, Doespfer's Wasp, etc + fun/playable modulation like the Batumi you have there (I don't know it that much), the Acid Rain Maestro which looks dope, my beloved Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis, and of course attenuverters/matrmix mixers/VCAs to go with it. Maybe Marbles, a Turing Machine or an O&C, if space allows for it. I don't know about the MiniBrute that well but depending on its patch bay (the Hydrasynth's looks very limited) you could even think about fun logic and switching modules... But that's just me, what do you feel is missing from what you already have ? What attract you to the Eurorack format and what do you expect from it ? Are you absolutely set on this rack size ? What is your budget ? What is the type of music/sounds you are making ?
Trying to answer those questions might help you see things a bit more clearly, and sharing those thoughts on here will help others help you ;-)
Have a good one,
D.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/pro_index

how easy is it to connect a midi keyboard to the hermod to play the modular?(if thats even possible)
-- Broken-Form

Very easy. Try this: remove the unnecessary words from the above then copy/paste the remainder of the question in a search engine. Doing that, I found the information you're looking for in less than 15 seconds.

I think the manual was decent when I was looking - so that's probably a good place to start
-- JimHowell1970

Ah yeah, it's pretty good (wish they made it available as PDF though) but who reads manuals in 2021 ? I'm wondering why manufacturers still bother with them, after all, isn't everyone learning everything from Youtube nowadays ?

also im getting a Bloodcells audio D.O.M.I.X.X mixer module,can i connect the hermod to this?i want to multitrack record the modular into my daw through the Mixer module.
-- Broken-Form

Sounds like reading the manual is going to be really beneficial, plugging a CV/gate sequencer like Hermod in a mixer to achieve multitracking doesn't make any sense.

My experience is very similar to the one described by Señor Bling: I'm avoiding to sell outside of the EU, including to the UK, it's just too much trouble. Same for purchases actually, I'm actively looking for ways to replace Thonk, love them but shipping from UK to Belgium is so stupidly slow and difficult now that I prefer sourcing parts myself than buying a kit from Thonk...

1. Create a public post on a public forum. It should be a single sentence with no apparent relation to anything else on the website.
  2. Make sure your post looks weird, and don't ever explain anything.
  3. Complain about other people commenting on your terrible post, throw in a few nonsensical statements like "I have a vision" or "this is my way" to antagonize people trying to make sense but again - don't explain or address any of the arguments directly, make it look like you don't really understand what you're talking about.
  4. Bonus points for weird capitalization, grammar mistakes, logic fails, anything that a regular person would find mildly disturbing or offensive, you're here to make them lose their cool.
  5. Watch as your victims waste perfectly good time trying to understand your nonsense and convince you to use your brains. Fools.

Congratulations, you have just completed our 5 steps program to become a forum troll.

To the general public: Please don't feed the trolls ;-)

D.

Interesting first forum post

a few doors!
-- the-erc

A few ? Hmmmm, I think you’ll be positively surprised, I personnally would not have purchased the Tetrapad if it wasn’t for Tete :-)
I recommend spending time with CV assignment and thinking how Tete’s outputs can be reused in the rest of the patch and how you can influence the Tetrapad itself by feeding stuff from your patch into its X/Y/Z inputs.
For using pressure output, attenuation and/or slew works for me. Another use I think is cool is using it with one or more comparator to start bringing in elements when pressure is high, or take away when its low...

Have fun ;-)

What is the use of the Harmonaig ? Both Marbles and VB offer quantized outputs, and I feel like such a best of a quantizer would be a lot of overkill for a relatively small build, but I may be missing something...
Also, +1 for Beads but it might be my own desires masquerading as advice.
Pretty good build overall though, I’d have fun with this. Definitely do what Jim suggests, having a look at old plans after a few years can be funny, and even insightful...

Tetrapad + Tête is a super powerful controller combo, it can be configured in a number of different ways to control your rack, and it offers an internal sequencer, looper and configurable CV I/O. From what I can gather, TetraPad+Tête+Planar2 is even better, but too much for me ATM.

Thanks for sharing, I'm waiting on a Morphagene myself and this is very inspiring for the upcoming experiments !
I also love using Maths as a drone VCO, very cool tone control possibilities

Gotcha ! Indeed, that's a powerful combo, although I'd be unable to get the need for logic modules out of my head. Imagine that with a few boolean operators and things like gate skippers and gate delays. The modulation section you proposed for me and several others has totally spoiled me :-)

A note on the trig sequencer: a valid contender to replace the Gibbon ALAK (funny little device, it seems) would be the Robaux LL8, loads of power hidden in there, I recommend having a look

I find it interesting that people associate "analog crazy shit" with a rack composed exclusively of digital voices. Not that they're bad, just not ... well, analog.

Dear Irish mate,

Thanks for posting this, I had no idea, so buying from Belfast is now a nope situation but Dublin and most of the island is still good. Very nice, I for one am glad to still have you with us

I have been using the Squarp Hermod from the start of my modular journey, still very happy with it, especially since Squarp has kept releasing significant firmware updates to this day, making it a sequencing powerhouse. I really appreciate such companies who still keep supporting their modules years after release.
I can drive the modular voices via external MIDI, I can have well behaved programmed sequences or completely random and anything in between with the MIDI effects, I can drive mono or multi-timbral voices, you name it. I find it's a very nice option for small-ish racks because the functionality per HP is just insane.
Recently I picked up Marbles and so far, I've been using a small Doepfer quad switch to quickly have a choice of sequencing from Marbles or Hermod for 2 of my voices, and am now looking for ways of combining both sequencers using logic. Lugia came up with a fantastic version of my rack which I'm still wrapping my head around, involving a very complex modulation section. With that golden advice in my mental toolbox, I'm now exploring the logic apps of O&C Hemispheres to find a way to tie everything together. Will also pick up a Quadrax with expander whose numerous gate outputs should provide more ways for the pieces of the patches to interact together.
Suggestions on using modular magic to combine sequencers welcome ! :)

Hey, glad it could help ;)
I fully agree with Lugia by the way. Hard to be assertive about what YOU need because "ambient" can mean a lot of things and I don't know how you like to approach making music, so it's the point of view of a guy who's never patched your system or heard your music. You already have a lot of CV sources with the PNW, Maths and Shuttle Control, I personally feel that it can be enough for the size of your build, but having a CV manipulation toolbox of sorts would allow for more complex "generative ambient" patches. Something that allows your CV sources to interact, so your entire patch movement is an orchestra playing together rather than a bunch of lonely musicians each playing on their own, if that analogy makes sense...
Of course it's harder to get an idea of what your build lacks if you don't have patch ideas in your head. I believe the way to get there is by adding to that "mental toolbox" I referred to above. For me, it works by reading forum posts on here (I had a very interesting discussion about the modulation section of my build here if you want to have a look: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9395, also keep an eye on the Racks section), and pages similar to the ones I listed above. Then try the suggested things, that's the important step ! By actually doing it myself, either on my system or in VCV/Drambo, I get to HEAR what those theoretical concepts can sound like, and also which of those things work best for the sounds I want to make and the way I make music.
Here's another one I learned a lot from:
https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog
The Noise Engineering blog written by Markus Cancilla, a really nice guy whose extensive patching experience is generously dispensed through those pages. Some of it can be really "advanced" and will most likely lead you on other searches for more info, I guarantee it will spur new patching ideas in your head !
What also worked for me to get new ideas was forcing myself to try and use Disting MK4's algorithms I didn't know about when I started modular. What could I use a comparator for ? What's the craziest patch I can come up with using a quantizer ? I saw Divkid experimenting with self-patching modules, so what can I do in those lines (PNW is a nice candidate) ? Those sort of "training exercices" helped me to add things to the mental toolbox as techniques I think of "naturally" when building more "serious" patches later on, maybe that could work for you ? You can of course try the same thing in VCV with modules you wouldn't know what to do with.
Finally, a more obvious one: look at videos and forum posts about the modules you already own. You're bound to end up reading/hearing something you've not thought of, or simply forgot. I'm often guilty of the later, I can't believe I waited so long to use my XAOC Belgrad as a voice, silly me

Hope IG link is ok for you, these are my "lower tempo" kings on that network:

https://www.instagram.com/tl3ss/
https://www.instagram.com/snakesofrussia
https://www.instagram.com/voltagectrlr/

I don't know of dubstep artists who use modular, but I'm not into dubstep so that's probably why :-D

Hi,

Not really instances of patch ideas but there are some included in the articles, if memory serves:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/methods

Make a search on the page for "Learning Synthesis". Some of it will be things you know, but there will also be a lot of information that you can add to your mental toolbox. For example, I suspect https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/learning-synthesis-logic will help you.

If you have some cash, the Patch & Tweak book or one of Chris Meyer's lessons could go a long way as well.

Hope this helps,
D.

I am a big fan of Intellijel stuff plus their support team is awesome, responsive and super friendly.
-- sacguy71

That's almost an understatement, I think it's probably one of the best support team I've ever dealt with, modular or otherwise, they are extremely professional and effective, to the point that I prefer going through them directly instead of simply sending them back to the EU retailer I bought the broken module from, less delays and way friendlier staff

One audio mixer that people often tend to overlook is Intellijel's Mixup. Nothing special really apart from the mute switches maybe, but an interesting choice for those rocking Intellijel cases: they can serve as output module as the small ribbon at the back can be used to connect Mixups together but also to the output jacks, removing the need for an output module. No headphone out, cue mix or VCA's are included here, so if you need that you're probably looking for a bigger mixer.