Hello everyone,

I would like to get into the world of modular synthesis and would like to get some feedback. So far I've only used classic desktop synthesizers (Access Virus TI2, Korg Minilogue XD, Behringer Pro 800, Behringer TD3 and Mega FM). These devices are all wonderful for getting quick results. I really like the powerful modulation matrix of the Virus TI2, but I miss the haptic feedback of connecting modulation sources to destinations. The other synthesizers here are rather limited in terms of modulation options, even if they are all great devices that I will never sell.

To approach the topic of modular synthesizers, I've been using "The Grid" within Bitwig a lot lately. It's a lot of fun, but again, I just miss the haptic feedback.

To make the transition between classic synthesizers and the modular world a little easier, I'd like to start with a semi-modular synthesizer. I had the Neutron in mind for a long time due to its large number of features, but I would like to use the Moog DFAM as a starting point. Why not a Mother32? I would like to use an analog sequencer (sometimes with a pitch quantizer) and not another "normal" one like the Mother32 has. Mother32 would be too close to my previous devices again.

I would like to build an upgraded modular drum machine and a "normal" synthesizer from the parts - depending on my mood. I would expand it with a powered Moog 60HP case. Why? The combination simply looks sexy in the Moog stand and fits into my living room. Yes, other cases would be cheaper and offer more HP.

Here is my explanation of why I decided to choose these modules:

• Pamela's Pro Workout: as a main clock and triggered modulation source. I think Euclidean rhythms are extremely exciting. Cross modulation of CVs and integrated attenuators are definitely useful in such a small case. I could also make great use of the device as a clock divider.
  • PPEXP2: I would like to easily sync the rack with my Maschine Plus, for example, when I'm on the road.
  • Buff Mult Intellijel: You can always use a multiplier
  • Ornament & Crime + USB Extender 3U Intellijel: I would like to use the OC for logic operations. I also think it's exciting that there has recently been an implementation of "Tides" and that I can use it as an oscillator. I would also like to use the pitch quantizer and the Turing machine. Since OC also provides applets for USB-Midi, I could control the rack via Maschine Plus.
  • Noise Engineering Vice Virga: I think a control-voltage-controlled switch is a good idea for creating interesting rhythms in combination with the Moog DFAM. The price is high, but I think the concept is exciting.
  • Warps: I would like to use the device as a crossfader and as a ring modulator. Cross-folding could also create exciting sounds. I think it's cool that Warps can also be used as an oscillator.
  • Happy Nerding 3x MIA: I would use MIA as an attenuator, polarizer and mixer for control voltages and audio signals.
  • Doepfer A-140-2V: ADSR envelopes (and the inverted ones) are always useful, even if the trigger signals of the DFAM would rather lead to AR envelopes. With MIDI triggering, the situation would be different.
  • MI Veils 2020: You can never have enough VCAs, right? The advantage of the Veils is that I can also use it as a mixer with subgroups.

What do you think? I am grateful for any feedback! :)

What I notice myself: I only have the filter of the DFAM itself. I also haven't included any effects. This is somewhat due to the fact that I want to continue using effects from the PC or the Maschine Plus for the time being. I rarely modulate effects and tend to use them at the end of the signal chain rather than in between. Something like "Melotus Versio" could perhaps be exciting. I still have to leave ideas for the next rack. :D

ModularGrid Rack