Hello, I am looking to fill some of the space in my rack to support drony and generative sounds. My rack is pretty eclectic, so maybe another VCA or more LFOs? Also, looking for modules available in kit form.

matrix mixer is an obvious addition - tbh I prefer the doepfer to any of the kits that will fit - the nlc one is great but both are quite big... the doepfer also has better ergonomics than most kits

use it to leverage the modulation sources you already have... copies of modulation in -> related, but different modulation out... with built in attenuation, if not attenuversion...

also a sequential switch - doepfer will be as inexpensive as any kit...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

matrix mixer is an obvious addition - tbh I prefer the doepfer to any of the kits that will fit - the nlc one is great but both are quite big... the doepfer also has better ergonomics than most kits

use it to leverage the modulation sources you already have... copies of modulation in -> related, but different modulation out... with built in attenuation, if not attenuversion...

also a sequential switch - doepfer will be as inexpensive as any kit...
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks. What do you think of this one from AI Synthesis? https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer/

The AI is a great little Matrix mixer and an easy DIY build.
Great for using as an effects send or getting more modulation from sources you already have.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Thanks. What do you think of this one from AI Synthesis? https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer/

I don't have that one, but I have a couple the same size with trimmers, instead of proper pots, same as the AISynths one... and tbh I wish I'd bought 2 doepfer ones - ergonomics and attenuversion!

But saying that I always like Abe's modules (& have a lot of respect for him as a champion of DIY modular) etc - not that I have any - so probably a decent choice!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I wouldn't call it cheap, but the Black Noise Cosmos would fill that 12hp right up and comes in a DIY kit. It's sort of an endless patching wormhole/analog computer thing like Maths or the Serge world. If you like eclectic and unique concepts like the NLC modules, it is an option.

If that doesn't suit you, I second the matrix mixer, but if I were you, I would only get the AI Synthesis one if it's going to be in the top corners or if you plan to arrange it upside down. Otherwise it'll just be buried behind two rows of cables.

.... the Black Noise Cosmos .... It's sort of an endless patching wormhole/analog computer thing like Maths or the Serge world.
-- Zacksname

May I ask about your experience with Black Noise Cosmos? Im very interested in this kind of modules. I also consider Ana 2 from mystic circuits. Could you tell me soemthing more about its use and benefits?
Right now I use Pamelas Pro Workout for logic stuff, but Cosmos and Ana seem to be very cool.
Im wondering, how something like a Cosmos could expand my possibilities? (In Pams you can also dial in specific logic operations and apply it on the inputs + add more operations with the cross channels)
Maybe there are some cheaper 1u alternatives?

....tbh I wish I'd bought 2 doepfer ones - ergonomics and attenuversion
JimHowell1970

Same here. I got the wyrd matrix mixer to save space....works well, but it is way to fiddly to use it properly with the small knobs.
I guess a good matrix mixer should have it´s space.

Greetings

Chris

May I ask about your experience with Black Noise Cosmos? Im very interested in this kind of modules. I also consider Ana 2 from mystic circuits. Could you tell me soemthing more about its use and benefits?
Right now I use Pamelas Pro Workout for logic stuff, but Cosmos and Ana seem to be very cool.
Im wondering, how something like a Cosmos could expand my possibilities? (In Pams you can also dial in specific logic operations and apply it on the inputs + add more operations with the cross channels)
Maybe there are some cheaper 1u alternatives?
-- VONDENFUNKEN

I don't yet own a Cosmos. I've watched the Stazma video and read the manual a few times. I would say I just kind of liked the mystery of it at first and then started thinking of it as a smaller way to get what I wanted from the WORNG Vector Space (I might still go this route instead, because it's like half the price) or the Mannequins Cold Mac (I gave up oj this when I realized how difficult acquiring one of these would be without some sort of crime): a way to get a lot of related modulation in a small space from a couple sources. The Ana 2 would probably work as well for this sort of thing, and has the benefit of knobs, but I personally don't mind big dense patches full of cables and like the patching process, so the Cosmos appeals to me in that way as well (plus the touchplates seem fun) All three seem like an inviting way for someone (like me) to teach themselves more about these functions and what they do musically. I don't have a 1U strip on any of my cases and tend not to think about that - someone else would have to speak on that. I mainly recommended the Cosmos here because it's a cool module that comes on DIY format and would probably suit a classic rack like this that uses simple tools well.