Thread: Bug Report

I'm on the Samsung Note 3, figured with the pen and all there wouldn't be that issue, but alas... I'm using the mobile version of Chrome, by the way.

I figured there wouldn't be a mobile app, and besides the delete problem its been working great!

So I frequently use modulargrid on my phone

What kind of phone are you using?

Oooh, idea: mobile app?

There will be no dedicated native mobile app. I try to make sure that MG runs in most mobile browsers, therefore your bug report is greatly appreciated.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

So I frequently use modulargrid on my phone, but have noticed a pretty important flaw: not being able to delete modules. If I poke the delete button it just moves the module and it makes things go all sorts of whacked out. Maybe I'm just being picky, but is there a way to fix that for mobile? Or will I have to continue just dragging them off to the side until i can get to a computer?

Oooh, idea: mobile app?

It's all in tuning the oscillators. Also, keep the quandrant knob centered, and keep the 2 attenuators back off from full clockwise. Also leave the 2 polarity switches in the center position. They are for removing the + or - from each channel, and using those can lead to more mangled tones. I assume you are taking the output from the RING out, so other than that, experiment with the tuning. Also try starting with sines. Its easier to hear and understand how the sum/difference work together when you have less overtones to begin with. Keep messing with it, because I find the uMod to be one of the cleaner sounding ones available. If you're stuck, I can try to come up with a patch for you later.

Hello ModularGrid community,
I am failing creating bell-sounding FX with my Intellijel µMod II Ringmodulator. Detuning the VCOs against each other extremely I am able to create interesting RingMod like sounds – distorted, FM-like etc. However I do not get the desired bell / chime like sound I know from other ringmodulators like e.g. this one

So my question is if there is anyone able to simulate this kind of sounds with the Intellijel RingMod ?
Regards,
-Matt
PS: I use 2x Analogue Systems RS95E as VCOs

I wish there would be a reissue. Could use a 4HP logic module with audio rate capabilities. The Plog is no real replacement and I already got it anyway.

Ah, missed (or forgot) that. Interesting. Thanks.

Maybe there will other GRP modules afterwards then.

According to their home page, yes:

"Hardware-wise, is stand-alone self powered, with hardware compatibility for mount on 5U module format; you can use in stand alone with its internal power, or you can install in your Dot.com/Cotk/Moon Modular system. R24 respects electrical and mechanical standards for the above manifacturers. Still, you can use R24’s own cabinet as a “presto-cabinet” for powering and using your spare 5U modules."

Would be nice if this would get a mix out or a summing feature per normalizing as it's not out yet.

wow great database, thanks for the link

I'm aware anyone can edit anything, I just naively hope people would enter more accurate values if they were told what exactly they should measure :)

I completely understand what you mean.
The problem: since ModularGrid is a Wiki there is no "authority" to validate all the specs, everyone can edit anything, and so you can quite be sure that a lot of specs are simply wrong or entered by different standards. We have this issues on the power requirements too and I doubt that this will ever change.
The quantity of modules in Euro is just overwhelming.

Overall I think the system works nonetheless by relying on some sort of swarm intelligence.
In doubt you can always double check by looking at John's Eurorack Database.

Is the GRP R24 really a 5U module? I was under the impression it's a standalone unit.

I will be controlling this 'current synth rig' with an arturia BeatStep. Eventually, after filling the case and buying a 2x monorocket, I will buy a dedicated midi sequencer (probably an alesis mmt-8, I'm old school as fuck!) and a mid2cv converter from paia to control this and start on the drum/poly synth rig v1

In that case it might be useful to also specify for each module whether the power cable connector adds to the depth or not. When planning some cases millimeters are at stake :)

I realize that manufacturers sometimes state some kind of depth for their modules, but I'd rather users measure theirs on their own and edit the module spec here. For example Doepfer says for their A-110 that it's 55mm when in fact it's 60mm and for A-120 they say it's 65mm, but really it's closer to 55mm

Makes sense and actually already works this way.
If there is a thread to a module then you can find the link to the forum at the very bottom on the modules detail page (and also the latest comments).
If you add a comment to a module without a thread on the modules detail page you automatically add a new thread to the forum.
Hope that makes sense too

Just an idea, but if you're going to have a forum with threads on each individual module, maybe the pages for each module could contain a link to that thread. I hope that made sense, Fnord needs moar coffee.

Sometimes "improvements" do the opposite thing and do not work for everyone.
In favor of the new streamlined comment function the private comment feature is gone, sorry.
It will only come back if I am forced by a wave of angry MG protesters.
Until this happens consider to flag your rack as public and maybe share the enjoyment of your planning with some other users.

quick question about "Comments won't work on private Racks."

this prevents adding (private) notes on private racks.
not the end of the world but I did found it useful...
any chance to have it back?

Using the same Harbor Freight case as Erthenvar for an Anushri and some extras. Instead of going with the 1u tiles, I'm getting 2x8hp of sideways modules. Hard part so far is finding a small, inexpensive, hopefully DIY power supply to fit inside.

I fucked your mother's dog in hell.....

Good question. Every manufacturer has his own way to measure depth, so I don't think we can set a standard here.
But as you mentioned, since the depth depends on the power cable you use, I would vote to measure the module depth without power cable attached.

should the module depth include the power cable attached? Some cable connectors are 5mm higher than others, so sometimes the resulting total module depth depends on which power cable you use

Thread: Change Log
  • Switched Module Detail pages to Markdown
  • Switched Manufacturer pages to Markdown
  • fixed a Bug where comments on private racks leaked in the forum

oh well, if you can fix it why not.
probably not a so big deal, excepted the fact that some foreign intelligence may steal my rack plan...
-- 0x00

The new "fix" is online. Users simply can not comment on private racks anymore and so they will not end here accidentally.
Regarding foreign intelligence: there is no solution in sight. Somebody is building a huge modular from your plan and tax money right now.

hhhm, I never thought about it before, but maybe evil's greatest power is people perpetually underestimating it? :-(

Excuse my spam: Need any gear, like a Supernova rack, Rapco 8-Pack 10' drop snake or Manley mono Enhanced Pultec EQ (early version, see history section here http://www.manley.com/peqb.php ) Make me a reasonable fire sale-ish offer if interested.

John, out of context, the sentence 'I just plunged myself deep into your slippery zombie love' is somewhat hilarious.

Thank you for the nice comments! Sorry to hear that things are not going well.

I should mention that I calculated the combined force of the set to be sufficient to unleash a million years of happiness on earth. But obviously I underestimated the forces of EVIL.

Hey, turnabout is fair play! ;-)

OK, I just plunged myself deep into your slippery zombie love! I really like this swirling nightmarish soundscape. And wow, Reverse mouse mercantilism sounds great too! Reminds me a bit of middle 70's period King Crimson.

How have you been? I hope you are well. Life is hard and totally fucked up for me at the moment.

Now you can come HERE to ignore my tracks!

Argh, this is broken by design. All comments end up in the forum section.
Have to fix this or find a workaround, sorry...
-- solitud

oh well, if you can fix it why not.
probably not a so big deal, excepted the fact that some foreign intelligence may steal my rack plan...

Argh, this is broken by design. All comments end up in the forum section.
Have to fix this or find a workaround, sorry...

how comes this shows up here? I was simply adding a comment on my own (private btw) rack...
aaanyway...

No. It seems to keep getting pushed back.

any release date estimation?

Thread: Canvas

Good points - perhaps a Pamela's Workout and a μVCA II?

Hmm, I don't think there is an alternative option for the Voltage Controlled Fan.
Perhaps you could use a more vanilla clock source for the Divider/Pressure Points combo? And some standard VCAs wouldn't hurt either.

ModularGrid Rack

Been shuffling things around in this rack for a while now - I think it's just about planned-out enough. Any alterations to suggest?

Thread: Black Hole

Those look much more capable than the doepfer/PM combo. Reworked...

Good points. Be aware, the Pittsburgh one only outputs 1/4 note clocks. Strange decision there.

I'm using the Mutable Instruments Yarns along with other clock modules like Pamela's Workout. Yarns can control a LOT. It might even be less or about the same as the 2 interfaces. Yet it can do poly modes, extensive clock and trigger modes, arpeggiation and up to 4 sequences. It's pretty insane for what it can provide in 12hp.

Yep. And for shameless self promotion: skip one interface and reserve the space for an Ultima Ratio, a clock divider which is build for such purposes and will be available soon

Didnt think of the click track. Very cool

Depends on the available CV outputs. You are right, this can be a bottleneck.
When I started modular I wanted to control everything via MIDI but very quickly lost my interest in it.
But if you using a DAW and a Multi Out Audio Interface to sequence are you aware about the PlugIn solutions like Silent Way?
For DAW sync you can also just output an audio click track, needs no MIDI to do so.

The goal pf the second one is to be able to set and modify delay and reverb time and sync with bpm easily, and still play the synth via external controller. Can this be accomplished with 1?

Looks like a solid eastcoast rack. Two MIDI interfaces?

Thoughts?

Because the traffic is still pretty low here, I should probably just post my stuff in a single thread that I can just add to. I tried to edit the title of one of the existing ones, but I wasn't able to. So forgive me posting one more, which at this point, contains stuff that I did this weekend.

these are soundcloud 'playlists', so they should keep on playing through the tracks. If they don't (which would happen to some people on mw), let me know.

Amazing Fantastic Shriek Battalion

Blinky Blinky Scream Scream

Inaudible. Plugged this Blue Lantern Synth to "Line Level" in both a line level jack and a normal channel on my mixer with gain maxed out and because the output is so quiet, there's a horrible amount of noise. Don't recommend this module, it's useless.

In the meantime my kit arrived and I had a blast building this!

Everything is very well layouted and I was able to get it working on first try!

I agree with the changes. At least for now. The other forum does suffer from format separation I think, as people will stick to what they know. That said, not looking forward to Buchla discussions that will only make me wish I had some. :)

The goal is to merge discussions into the forum in a way 90% of MG users won't even notice while given the other 10% who care better tools to use.
-- modulargrid

This happened today!
Since the comments from the individual module/patches/rack pages will be aggregated in the forum I had to change the forum structure to make this happen. That means:
No more format specific forums

As 1 or 2 other people have said, and I have mentioned privately, I really think that there should be a section where one can talk about more general music related topics - whether about more philosophical issues, or about compositional methods, etc, etc.
-- Nelson Baboon

I agree with nelson, a composition forum would be cool!
-- Wiktorion

Since the Forum is still very weak by now can we use the Modular Discussion Index for that? Perhaps I can just find a better name for it?

Thread: Change Log

Merged Discussions into the Forum

Discussions are gone. Two commenting sections where overkill.
You can still comment on module/patches/racks but everything will be piped into the forum.
This keeps the code base slim.

And also every feature of the forum is now available in the former discussion pages like the search function, media embeds, emoticons and quotes.