Thread: Speakers

I have multiple ways out but it eventually goes through an Audient Nero monitor controller to a Kali Audio WS-12 sub and two Kali IN-8 v2. Adjustable crossover. The sub is foot-switchable on/off. Sounds great and good bang for the buck.

Thread: Speakers

If you want better low frequency response, add a subwoofer.

Filterbanks by nature are fixed. You are probably looking for band-pass filters.
Addac 603 Triple Bandpass x 2 will give you six with glorious overdrive/ saturation if you want it.

If you do away with the concept of intellectual property, you remove the incentive to innovate. Quite simple.

There is also the ADDAC System 102 VC Radio. You can both scan and search manually or by voltage control. Everything on the module is under voltage control. Not only does it scan stations, it can search all of the glitchy sounds and fuzz in between as a noise source. ADDAC modules are very good quality.

The way I organize things for workflow:
Audio moves left to right, and then eventually cascade top-down through/down to effects.
Sound sources/ oscillators --> filters --> vcas.
I also do tend to arrange adjacent horizontal rows as 'voices'.
Bottom row would be clock sources and sequencers (things that require hands-on input and adjustment). Modulation sources (Maths etc.) would be in the bottom two rows. I like Pam's in the bottom left corner.
Effects (Starlab etc) to the right, mostly bottom right. In my cases, clock enters bottom left, sound exits bottom right.
The reason I arrange things this way is so I can visualize the signal flow a little better. It also tends to shorten some of the patch cable lengths. Just the way I do it...

shows as 'In Stock' at Perfect Circuit...

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/hikari-atten-mixer.html

JOMOX Modbase 09 MK 2...
Kick drum from JOMOX Alphabase with CV control and saved presets.

The A-155 is by default a 2x8 step sequencer. You would need a pair of sequential switches to use it as a 1x16 step. The manual on the Doepfer website spells put some of the use cases.

If you want fully editable envelopes, get a Rossum Control Forge. I think the point of Zadar is that its envelopes are 'quick and dirty'. You can call them up quickly and easily adjust a couple of the most critical parameters, namely time and range.

Maybe a ground loop. Are your two cases plugged into the same electrical outlet? (Or to same power bar?)

Schneidersladen is often expensive compared to others and they don't make good prices even for loyal customers.
"even 5% is hard for us to do in this times" ... come on ... i know people who work(ed) there and i know the prices THEY get.
To give 10% to loyal customers would not be a problem at all.
-- hookedagain

I don’t personally find Schneidersladen more expensive. When it comes to European brands of modules, I find them (and Thomann) cheaper to be frank. Bear in mind that most prices on European sites are inclusive of VAT ( 19 or 20%) while American sites do not include any sales tax.
Being outside the EU, I don’t pay the VAT and modules (EU and US manufactured) can be imported duty free to where I live. Customs locally only collects a 5% federal tax and there is a small brokerage fee to clear it through customs.
As far as Modular Grid is concerned, I never paid attention to the prices listed on modules and to maintain it up-to-date would have to be a nightmare.

Building on (and agreeing with) what others have said…
1) Get a MI Veils (V2) for a VCA. There is one left in stock at Signal Sounds at this very moment. Do not hesitate, buy it now! Do not think twice, don’t think about import fees if you do not live in the UK. This is a rare and disappearing opportunity, don’t pass it up!
It is 4 VCA’s in 10hp with offset, a huge amount of gain to bring line levels to Modular levels, is DC coupled so can handle both audio and CV. It can sum/ mix and runs 0v to 8v (rather than just 0v to 5v) which is important for some modules (Verbos for example). Again, all in 10hp. It will hold its value in the future.
2) Xaoc Zadar is great for envelopes. It can be dialed up quickly and the envelopes range from simple to more complex and can be attenuated within the module itself. The four separate envelopes match up with the four VCA’s in Veils. All in 10hp.

Good luck!

I’ve never been too concerned myself. Power conditioners/ supplies are someone self-limiting in the number of receptacles available. In any event, if they are plugged in to the same receptacle box (unless they are split receptacles - unlikely) or in the same wall, they may be on the same circuit anyway.
Not necessary to overthink it, just use common sense and be reasonable.

The original Amp & Tone is 16hp. The 2020 version is 10hp. Which do you have? Nothing else is really like it, in 10hp no less.

STMix can function as two mono mixers if you dummy the R inputs of the left inputs you want to mix separately from the rights.
It will create two distinct outputs to L and R outs.
L1 X
_ R2
_ R3
L4 X
L1 and L4 go to Lout, R2 and R3 to Rout. You can add the Aux unattenuated to either.
It’s a bit of a workaround but my point is you get a lot of bang for your buck with this module in a very small space (6hp).

Befaco STMix is DC coupled. It will mix CV as well as mono and/or stereo audio. Mono input on left channel is copied to right. Best bang-for-the-buck in mixers at four stereo channels and a fifth aux-in.

"Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal."

i'm talking canadian funds, the rampage is $436 plus taxes (incredibly high in quebec, comes to $501 cdn total!) at the local store and maths has dropped to $376 plus taxes. and the U.S. to Cdn funds conversion is awful for us, $200 U.S. today is $256 cdn! but i hope you're right, i just can't see how they can manage it at their prices. i'd have to think that would be the deal of the decade if the quality is there.
-- FatBerg
As an FYI based on your previous post, I often buy modules built by European manufacturers from either Schneidersladen or Thomann and get them shipped to Canada. You will not be charged their VAT and both ship for a reasonable price via UPS (arriving within a couple of days). The Befaco Rampage, for example, currently sells on Thomann for about $374 CAD. Canadian Customs will only collect the federal portion (5%) of the HST and not the provincial portion (8% in Ontario, not sure what it is in Quebec). Eurorack modules manufactured in the EU can be imported duty free. UPS will call you regarding customs clearance and you can authorize them to clear the package on your behalf. The fee for this will be more than offset by not having to pay the provincial portion of sales tax. Customer service is awesome for both. I can’t argue buying from Nightlife as their service is great and I’ve bought from them many times. Cheers.

Further to my previous post, you may want unbalanced version.
I believe they have stock.
https://nw2s.net/
Having said that, I just noticed someone suggesting MI Veils which I think is a great (honestly better) idea. It can boost line level signals, can mix to a single output if desired, and it much more flexible.

NW2SIO BALANCED module:
(May be currently sold out, have a look here under ‘External’ modules. NW2S does have a website.)
8 inputs and 8 outputs each to a separate Db25 connector. You could get an 8 x 1/4” to Db25 snake to connect them. Attenuation +/- 6 dB is done within the module. The module and snake are a bit of an expense but then you are able to combine what you already have and keep using it with your new eurorack setup. The 8 outs could also be routed to an audio interface onto separate tracks in your DAW.

I would start with a more traditional setup to start.
1) VCO's, one or two to start, analogue or digital. With more than one, you can stack and cross modulate. I would also get a noise source. Make Noise STO is great, flexible and reasonably priced.
2) Filter, many different styles, low-pass to start but there are many multi-mode filters that do lowpass/ bandpass/ highpass simultaneously. Modulation of a filter can make your system sound like two or three simultaneous instruments.
3) VCA, I second MI Veils and Intellijel Quad VCA. WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR with integrated VCA and separate envelope output (great 'bang for the buck').
4) Function generator, Rise/ Fall will do envelopes on a one-shot basis or will loop as an LFO. Maths is great as is Intellijel Quadrax (4 rise/ fall, but no mix and Or/ Sum/ Inv).
5) Output module, L/R 1/4" Stereo out + 1/4" Headphone Jack (you need a means of listening to your results and get them out of the box if that is your intent). I have a WMD and Befaco but there are many others.
6) Additional modulation: Random generators, Touring Machine is great. Sample and hold (often good for a noise source as well).
7) FX. It may seem like a luxury to start but a nice reverb or delay can makes things sound huge and otherworldly. I second FX Aid as a start.
8) Mixers are important but you have only two signals to mix in your current setup. I use Befaco STMix for submitting as it will mix 4+1 stereo signals (or mono normal to both channels) and is DC coupled and will mix CV. There are many others.
9) General utility, Multiples (buffered? or not), attenuators (Synth Tech modules have onboard attenuation so perhaps not as big a deal to start),
Synthesis Technology E352 Cloud Terrarium probably wouldn't be my first choice to start but if you want to go that direction, what ever will keep you motivated and interested is important. Mantis case is a great start. Good luck!

Think of it in terms of signal flow.
Sound sources: DPO is a complex oscillator and not cheap, but great value. You have independent waveform outs and V/Oct, you can stack the two Osc. and more importantly (in the long term more interesting) you can modulate one with the other and cross modulate. You should also have a noise source as well.
Filter: Mono or stereo, style to your personal taste, low pass only or multi-mode? I probably wouldn’t pick the Rossum filters to start, although they are both great. For mono, I love the Synthesis Technology A440 (low pass) and I have the the Bastl Ikarie which is a high/ low pass with a drive circuit to add filth/ saturation. There are tons of really good filters, it really is a matter of taste…
Envelope: WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR in 6hp with a built in VCA. It also has an envelope out. Xaoc Zadar is awesome because you can dial up all sorts of envelopes so quickly, with some being quite complex.
VCA: Veils is great, very useful and compact. Intellijel has the Quad VCA.
Modulation: Xaoc Batumi is a great quad LFO, I highly recommend it. You can’t argue against having Maths but I personally don’t have one. Quadrax is ultimately more flexible than Batumi and is what I would probably choose. Mutable Instruments Stages is great as it can be a multi-stage, one-shot or looping envelope, or even a CV sequencer. You can chain them as well.
FX: I would go with the Morphagene as a delay because it has so many sweet spots, is easy to work, and has what is essentially a reverb built in. FX Aid is a great bang-for-the-buck multi-FX and flexible. The Erbe Verb is not a conventional reverb but rather a thing unto itself. Not my first choice to start.
Utility: Pamela’s New Workout should be in the first round of modules you buy with 8 separate clicks/ modulation sources. Mults, buffered multi, adders, sum/ diff., logic modules, attenuators ( 2hp modules are great, but can be a bit crowded and tight). Also random + sample & hold…
Sequencer: Intellijel Steppy is compact and great to start with, but will only do triggers, not CV. Do some research and use your system for a bit before you settle on a sequencer as each one has it’s own workflow and strengths.
Overall, I would start simple and make your larger investments later when you know what you want and you have the skill and experience to take advantage of more complex (and expensive) modules. (Verbos modules in combination have tons of (often narrow) sweet spots which are not always easy to find and they are expensive, not great to start out with) . Good luck!

Working outside in, I’d suggest you consider the following:
1) As mentioned above, a potable audio recorder (Zoom, Tascam etc) is your best bet for recording. You can also make field recordings with it and bring them back to your system.
2) There are great output modules (I have a Befaco, WMD, Joranalogue is great) and they usually have a headphone out as well. You can have a separate input module if you will be importing sounds or a combined I/O module (eg. Intellijel I/O).
3) You will have to look at a mixing solution that feeds into your output module. Befaco STMix is a nice 4+1 stereo mixer that will duplicate mono L to R, with level control, DC-coupled to mix CV but no pan control. If you eventually upgrade your mixing solution, you can still use it for sub-mixes. Next level up would be a larger mixer with pan control and Aux Send/Return (eg SSF Vortices). The top end (expensive) solution would be a Befaco Hexmix + Expanders or a WMD Performance Mixer (I have one, it is f***ing awesome and transformative).
4) You could mix outside of eurorack as mixers can be quite inexpensive, but then you would have to bring all of your eurorack level feeds down to line level which is not practical. Sorry for the length of the reply. Good luck