this user has left ModularGrid

Agree Livestock Electronics Maze is great and can also let you create fade in/fade out transitions of CV control which is really nice for making smooth movements. Still learning mine but all good. My 2022 mantra is no gear purchases so I can focus on what I have no and I even put blank panels to avoid the temptation.

Getting some submissions, who else wants to join in?!

The QPAS has a dual VCA on its inputs, just saying ;p

I'm pretty sure it's standard when you pay the 3% or whatever that you have to pay for non-friends and family transactions
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks very much for your help!

I'm pretty sure it's standard when you pay the 3% or whatever that you have to pay for non-friends and family transactions

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

don't do friends and family if they are not friend or family - pay the fees, get the protection
-- JimHowell1970

Is the protection an additional service or part of the standard PayPal service?

Thanks

i like !

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

-ADR- Really nice video demonstrations, all the info very clearly presented and explicated. I also just watched another demo on your channel and the same can be said for that as well. Thank you for the effort and work putting these together.

All the best

Hey MG !
I got the Tarot from the hands of its designer, and after a few meetings, he told me about a few tricks on it. Like getting the Tarot to do a Ring job. That was an excellent tip, so when I got back, I got excited and needed to try that on some perc sounds. It worked like an angel, and far deeper than a traditionnal ring modulator.

more here :

don't do friends and family if they are not friend or family - pay the fees, get the protection

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Cool thanks, I guess you still have to hope you get an honest person that doesn't try charge-backs via paypal but it is what it is.

If anyone has any tips to cover my back it would be appreciated

I just have made an indstrial sound design using the Tarot, here :

with an external drum machine you might want to go with pedals for the distortion/fuzz/overdrive and the compression (to free more space in the rack) and a continuously variable filter - so that you can go from low-pass to high pass and all places in between
-- JimHowell1970

Can you expand on this a little? I am using the TR-8S for drums...will eventually go down the stomp box 'path' as I purchased Bastl Hendrikson a few weeks ago for my Minibrute2/Rackbrute3U setup...but it sounds like using them in line with the TR-8S can also add some flavor to the drums?

-- jb61264

yeah - some pedals in line with the drums - specifically a gain pedal (which will add some compression) and a compessor can add to the drum machine without taking up valuable rack space - and pedals can often be had cheaper than modules (bigger market for them - both new and used) then feed that in to the rack (I'd use a veils - most vcas don't have gain - veils has 20dB there on tap - so can again add more grit at this stage if needed) and then go through a filter in rack - maybe a doepfer SEM or WASP - both of which can go from low pass to high pass on the turn of a knob - this would make an interesting processing chain for a drum machine to me - possibly with parallel processing at some point either before the chain - an ABY pedal is a great solution here - so you can switch between the processed drums and the unprocessed (or differently processed) drums - this is especially useful as distortion pedals have a tendency to loose low-end - so maybe take this into account when choosing a distortion pedal - maybe something specifically designed for bass processing

the hendrickson is a great idea for sending stuff from the rack into an effects pedal chain and then back in - especially things like delays and reverbs can be used so much earlier in the chain than usually and then brought back in - possibly for further processing - filtering for example

an envelope follower (or 4) is also really handy to have at this point - as are more vcas

I think you'll be wanting to expand the 3u to a 6u soon - try to keep the 3U - if you can - always good to have space to expand into!!!

I think the Disting has some shift-register capabilities under the Shift Register program... F6 I believe.

If the PICO system came with its own case, put it back in and you buy yourself some extra room.

with an external drum machine you might want to go with pedals for the distortion/fuzz/overdrive and the compression (to free more space in the rack) and a continuously variable filter - so that you can go from low-pass to high pass and all places in between
-- JimHowell1970

Can you expand on this a little? I am using the TR-8S for drums...will eventually go down the stomp box 'path' as I purchased Bastl Hendrikson a few weeks ago for my Minibrute2/Rackbrute3U setup...but it sounds like using them in line with the TR-8S can also add some flavor to the drums?

JB

Small demo using external carriers and as a filter bank.

Live streaming now

Set up so it has quite a large loop which subtly varies, I need more VCAs!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Top Stuff! Recommended!

Thank you for feedback ! And merry Xmas

You could run an external drum machine like a Roland TR-8 through a Eurorack distortion module like Schlappi Engineering 100 Grit to get industrial percussion sounds and save money plus free up space in your case for more support modules and utilities. Also besides distortion, I’m finding that feeding drums through a compressor and EQ helps a lot as well.

Yup need more VCAs and in my travel cases I have at least two to four VCAs per small case.

This whole interest started with me wanting a fun new thing to learn and could communicate with my other gear which is why the niftycase is so appealing, but realistically I know it’s going to be a new obsession. Thanks for the case recommendation Lugia and the sound advice! Before I get any further and make another silly purchase is there any utilities or must haves to be aware of?

You are watching the unity output light flash in accordance with the envelope you have dialed in. Plug it into an Error Instruments CV input and the light on Maths stops illuminating. There is no envelope. If you plug the unity into say an A*B+C to provide a voltage offset it will then work.

I've been meaning to get a Quadrax, but I wonder how it reacts to the EI CV inputs. Maths gets shut down completely when you plug it into this module.
-- mntbighker

"Shut down" how, exactly? A module like Maths shouldn't simply shut down when you patch it up.

Thanks for the replies y’all, much appreciated. lol I’ve had a feeling that 84hp would not be nearly enough. Definitely switching to a case I can “grow into”.
-- Eros222

Generally, the rule of thumb on first cabs is that you should set up for a MUCH BIGGER build than you think you'll need...because when you're starting out, it's actually more likely to be too small. So if you thought that 1 x 84 was enough, the 2 x 104 of a Mantis is probably what you should be using. Then, if you think the resulting build is just too much, you can more easily pare the module complement BACK. And this tends to be an easier task than ripping it all down to do different subsequent 1 x 84 builds to get things right.

Thanks for the reply Jim
really appreciate thee advice

Another possibility: a Quadrax + Qx. By chaining the EOR points on the Qx to each next EG and proceeding to loop things back from EOR on the 4th EG to the start on EG 1, you get this constant "strum"...with voltage control by using CV over the "attack" (in this case, it's referred to as "rise") so that you can make the "strum" longer, shorter, or more/less erratic. Works nice with VCAs, too...like having a Veils on a complex VCO with numerous waveform outputs.
-- Lugia

I've been meaning to get a Quadrax, but I wonder how it reacts to the EI CV inputs. Maths gets shut down completely when you plug it into this module.

What do the 4x CV inputs do? is it one for each pot?

Is the the Drum Out just like it says then the Audio out is everything else without the kick?
-- wishbonebrewery

Yes on the CV's. I believe the drum out is the audio through a vactrol LPG.

I think the Mantis is probably the best "starter case" at present. It has loads of current reserve from a tried and true P/S design (taken from the uZeus), it's portable while having ample module space, and it's got a really snazzy method for adding a second Mantis. Tiptop even offers a gig bag sized for it.
-- Lugia

I think the mantis power supply is based on the tiptop zeus studio bus - not the uZeus - from what I heard the uZeus can be quite noisy - and the mantis is really quiet - no ripple up to video rates (MHz) as opposed to mere KHz for audio

I did want to ask though as I'm very new to hardware modular, what are some things to keep in mind about balancing utilities with other modules? (filters, E.G's, Sound Sources etc)
-- pestilent

loosely:

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities = most variety for money and works well as a 'rule of thumb'

loosely because a sound source might be 2-3 vcos, a sound modifier might also be a sound source, maths might be seen as both a modulation source and a utility etc etc

I tend to see maths as a complex modulation source - if you want the utilities it has I'd advise to buy them separately

I'd be pushed to have much more than 1 sound source per row and support it properly though

Here's a promo video for a new album release entitled "Surfaces". Recorded the album a while back but just got around to releasing it properly. A mix of modular synth with other stuff.

The full album is here:
https://solitaireousolidaire.net/new-release.html

All the best

Thanks for posting the hi-fi version. Easier to really appreciate the production quality. The Amen break is classic for a reason and this makes excellent use of it. Cheers!
-- TumeniKnobs

Thanks!

Thanks for posting the hi-fi version. Easier to really appreciate the production quality. The Amen break is classic for a reason and this makes excellent use of it. Cheers!

Wow! Those are all really great sounding. I certainly wouldn’t complain if they were all longer. I love to see the SubH make appearances in this kind of ambient. Cheers!

Another great ambient piece. Love it. Cheers!

MSRP For this module is now 70$ (USD) according to the manufacturer's website.

Thanks for the replies y’all, much appreciated. lol I’ve had a feeling that 84hp would not be nearly enough. Definitely switching to a case I can “grow into”. I probably should have mentioned that I have a mother 32, a few Roland boutiques (ju06a,sh01a,tb03,tr08,tr09), ms20, and a keystep pro. I also don’t use a DAW ( I use an old Mackie mixer) so it’s going to speakers directly. Don’t know if that bit of info is more helpful.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Lugia, I've lurked a lot of your other posts on this thread and value your opinion.
I got the Pams early as primarily a clocked modulation source and with plans to sync with my Digitakt. but will definitely check out tempii although I don't think it has any midi connectivity?
The Zlob F3DB does a pretty solid job at audio mangling however the Schlappi and Moffenzeef stuff as caught my eye as well.
I really love modular so far and would find it fun to have some percussion in the case hense the BIA & MI, i'd also really love to avoid buying Behringer stuff.

i'll definitely think about what you said and try to come up with a new build.

I did want to ask though as I'm very new to hardware modular, what are some things to keep in mind about balancing utilities with other modules? (filters, E.G's, Sound Sources etc)

i hear you, my first case was actually a tiptop happy ending. and i should have said 'save me $250' above - maybe the price of a buchla module!? so that makes a lot of sense and i don't mind giving tiptop some more money if they deliver on these buchla modules.

Well, right off the bat here, there's two modules that are either discontinued or have supply chain issues with essential parts. These are the Grids (discontinued) and the HN 3xVCA (delayed due to no VCA chips). The Piston Honda might also fit there, as there was a great deal of confusion in the past couple of years as to whether or not The Harvestman's designs were going to remain available, and even though it lists as being in production here, this is one that either may require a possible substitute or you could simply go with a different wavetable oscillator. I wouldn't have gone with a Pam's here, either...given that the Rene mkii and the Make Noise Tempi have backplane connections that step up both of their games.

As for the layout, it's actually pretty user-hostile. I could whomp out a new iteration of this, but some of the module choices that've already been made are ones that ultimately contribute to that problem. Definite examples are the older Noise Engineering modules (fairly illegible panels...no fun at all if you're playing live and in a dim light situation) and the Zlob modules (same problem overall + very tight layouts).

Lastly, if there's a definite industrial spin to this build, I don't see anything that can really smash sounds up to get them into a more brutal area. For more industrial percussion, also, I would suggest Moffenzeef's modules, or something more synthetic that then gets run through one of Schlappi's audio manglers. Remember: back in the early days of Industrial, people were using a bunch of Roland stuff that they'd then munge up, and those Rolands were the more electro-sounding ones (TR-808, CR78, etc). Given that, you may actually find it MORE useful to get hold something along those lines, as the end result costs far less than trying to build drums into a Eurorack build, plus you get a lot of space in the cab back by doing this. It also helps that there's reissues of many of these, such as the Roland Boutique series or Uli's clones of the original 808, 909, and 606.

I think the Mantis is probably the best "starter case" at present. It has loads of current reserve from a tried and true P/S design (taken from the uZeus), it's portable while having ample module space, and it's got a really snazzy method for adding a second Mantis. Tiptop even offers a gig bag sized for it.

Bought a filter from @tom_android recently

Was well packed and arrived quickly (was very surprised, and pleased it arrived before Christmas)

ModularGrid Rack

Hey y'all! this is my first post on Modular Grid, I started into eurorack this year after spending a lot of time in vcv rack and falling in love with the potential of modular, plus it's just so much fun! my goal is to make a system that can do lots of textural sound design stuff as well as percussion//bass in the industrial techno genre. Outside of my rack I have a Digitakt, Lyra 8 and a few FX pedals.

currently out of these modules in the list above the ones I actually own already are
- Rene v2
- Zlob F3DB
- Xaoc Belgrad
- Beads
- Pams
- Zlob 3 channel attenuator with sum output
- Zlob Diode Chaos
- Noise Engineering BIA
- Beffaco stmix
- Noise Engineering Sono Abitus output module

The rest of the modules I put in because I think they'd fit well but I have no idea if I have enough utilities or if this layout is completely non-user friendly, this is where I could really use some help if you can take a look at it and give me some advice.

Thank you.

thanks for the tip! i was hoping to stack my doepfer 9u/84hp on top of the base. i may just have enough width for 104hp and the 9u is presently sitting on an empty neutron box so this may work and save me $150

speaking of which, have cases become insanely expensive!? i'd be paying almost $900 cdn (~$700 U.S.) for a new doepfer a-100lcb!!! i need a 'base' case for my space restrictions. are there any other alternatives? that $900 is almost 1/4 the price of a buchla easel and doesn't even make a sound. unless i drop it. i think doepfer can drop the 'LC' from that catalogue number.
-- FatBerg

The Tip Top Mantis case (same size) is ~560$ at Nightlife Electronic / Moog Audio.

[Nightlife] (https://nightlife-electronics.com/collections/cases-power/products/tiptop-audio-mantis)
[Moog] (https://moogaudio.com/products/tiptop-mantis-2x104hp-eurorack-case-blue-usa)

ya, that is the beauty of these tiptop buchla modules, standard 3u and will fit in any euro case and i can buy them as my finances permit as opposed to dropping $4000 cdn on a buchla easel command in one shot. i think i calculated around 130hp for 1 of each of the 6 modules so the 6u/84hp case i was thinking of buying might even be a little small with little room for expansion for further 200t modules.

speaking of which, have cases become insanely expensive!? i'd be paying almost $900 cdn (~$700 U.S.) for a new doepfer a-100lcb!!! i need a 'base' case for my space restrictions. are there any other alternatives? that $900 is almost 1/4 the price of a buchla easel and doesn't even make a sound. unless i drop it. i think doepfer can drop the 'LC' from that catalogue number.

Oh yes! I loved last year's compilation, can't wait to get the 2021 one. I'll be sending my track right away!

What do the 4x CV inputs do? is it one for each pot?

Is the the Drum Out just like it says then the Audio out is everything else without the kick?

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery