Happy new year to you @jb61264. I'm glad you are here. Looking forward to hearing your music in 2022!

So, I'm only 9 months into this journey and just want to reach out to everyone to say thank you. This really is a great community of diverse opinions that are always willing to listen and provide useful information in the sometimes difficult daunting space of modular. I haven't yet shared anything because for the most part anything I've really done really kind of sucks compared to all the other great music I hear by users on the forum...but I am starting to get the hang of putting things together and making progress...promise to come out of my 'sharing shell' in 2022 :)

I wish everyone health and happiness in the new year...may this next trip around the sun be everyone's best yet ahead.

Happy New Year!

JB

which tiptop - I've never had an issue with my mantis - not tried the other ones

hope you can get it sorted out - good luck!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Happy New Year and thanks for the energetic live jam!

4MS Pod, Intellijel Pallet and TipTop. It lives in a 4MS Pod.

what power supplies??

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

@mntbighker, have you contacted Paul about this?
-- JimHowell1970

Not until I have a chance to test on each of my 3 power supply options in my rack. Most builders don't care much if their module survives running for hours or days. It's a pretty edge case I feel.

Is anyone else finding that some settings fail to survive a power cycle? I have one specific setting that resets on channel 5 every time. The wave form always returns to random instead of the default. Despite the fact I reset the channel every time I power it up. Reported to ALM, but no answer after a couple of weeks.

edit: It's getting worse, now three channels lose settings after a power cycle. And not to the default mode either.

Happy New Year!!

Closing out 2021 with some live jams. Happy New Year to all of you!

@mntbighker, have you contacted Paul about this?

Instruo Ts-L might a contender for the smaller VCO as well...also, I have CVilization (which I love) it can be a matrix mixer, sequential switch, or mucoder. Lots of functionality/flexibility for a smaller build like yours (and mine)...worth a look

JB

ive played a few. i wasnt a big fan of the intellijel uvcf i had, but all the others have sounded good.
i wasnt fond of the control scheme of the lxd or the z2040, but they were both easy on the ears.
the doepfer lpg has a mean preamp and sick resonance and a little pricetag.
filters are fun modules to play manually so id look for one with a nice layout and cool features.
i remember really wanting voltage control of resonance, and feeling like i miss it when i play a filter without kt, but i cant remember ever using it a whole lot ;_;
a modulars a very personal thing so do some window shopping on youtube , figure out if you want low pass or state variable, 12 dB or 24 dB, &c
-- moremagic

Thanks for this input!

If you have guitar effects pedals/stompboxes, there are modules that allow you to use those in your modular setup as well. I don't play guitar but since one of my builds is a Rackbrute 3U (small footprint), I got the Bastl Hendrikson which will allow me to use external stompbox (plural when I get a Electro-Harmonix Tri Parallel Mixer, which will let me connect up to 3 external pedals).
Hendrikson is discontinued but ALM also makes one called ALM006 - S.B.G...just something to consider since you play guitar and may have some effect pedals...or this would give you another reason to buy one :)
-- jb61264

Thanks -- yes, a later purchase is likely to be a floor control or one of the ones you mentioned. I don't want to start too complicate -- so initially just want to focus on the modular stuff by itself.

there are a load of these modules - not just the bastl and alm - doepfer, ime, etc etc
some pedals don't need them - moogerfoogers are generally ok with modular levels and my strymon mobius works fine with them - if you need a bit of a boost to get back in to the modular, some vcas (veils, for example) work perfectly well
one thing to note with guitar pedals is they often don't work that well with bass frequencies
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks! I am planning an Ears for boosting guitar signals into the modular system.

I have just added the Error Instruments modules to my growing list of "digital" modules that crash, or otherwise stop working as expected if left running for extended periods. If you do generative type work that requires hours or days of use, this is worth knowing. Another example of this is my 4MS Ensemble. It took months before 4MS finally identified they had an issue. And more weeks or months before a firmware update was made available. I'm not even sure if it's a published update to this day. In the case of this Indian Resonator the situation actually seems to have gotten worse. It can stop working as expected even over night.

Maybe you should consider leaving out Voltage Block in a case this small. The Moog Triptychon has got at least 5 sequencers already. And Pams can do some quantized pitch stuff, too, and all sorts of gate and trigger sequencing naturally! Thus you'd get much more HP to play with and put in more utilities (MI Links for starters?) Or better still: leave empty and see which of Disting's features you might like a dedicated module for and fill those HP along the way... Nobody says you have to start with a full case ;-D

First time poster here. Been thinking about dipping my toe in the world of Eurorack. Feeling stale with my mostly all Elektron workflow. A buddy is willing to do me a killer deal on a Pittsburgh Modular Move 104 case, with Plaits and Ripples in it. That would be my starting place. Looking to create somewhat intentional melodic sequences and have them get "generative" from there (Bloom, but would consider Marbles as well). Hoping to get 2 voices in this small case, that could be pushing my luck though. Wondering is Plaits and Rings are too similar or if I should look in a different direction for a smallish hp second voice (sto, dixie, etc).

Here is my plan so far:
ModularGrid Rack

I want to make sure I am not overlooking any utilities or making any glaring omissions. Should I swap in a quad VCA, some sort of LPG, any other utilities I'm missing? Any input is valued! This is all very tentative, still planning.

Will use Elektron boxes for drums and eventually get a cv.ocd to use with my Octatrack for another CV sequencing option. Also have a DFAM and Matriarch that will play nice with whatever I end up building.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Updated the last pic to include some changes - FX Aid and PNW.

Interesting suggestions... I was trying to replace 2HP mix with a attenuator / polarizer / mixer combo and found the Pittsburgh Modular Giraffe. At that point, I didn't have the FX Aid in mind. On this iteration, I removed the FX Aid and included the Giraffe. I have a workaround for FX. I'd use the Ciao to go into an iPad (via interface). This would be temporary until I added more rack space.

I still do have 2HP to play with. If I removed Ears, then finding a 2HP mic pre / envelope follower would help (harmonica). Like I stated before, I know I could use the disting for this purpose, but I'd like to leave it open to other options and I like the idea of Ears as both mic pre and that touch sensitive piezo thingy.

ModularGrid Rack

+1 on attenuverters. Another Happy Nerding module to recommend here is 3xMIA. I use that thing in almost every patch.

May sound boring, but I find myself using dedicated attenuverters a lot with DFAM...

utility modules only sound boring to people who don't have them - once you have them you realise they are at least as important as the expensive modules you use them to connect in different ways - see signature!

there are a load of these modules - not just the bastl and alm - doepfer, ime, etc etc

some pedals don't need them - moogerfoogers are generally ok with modular levels and my strymon mobius works fine with them - if you need a bit of a boost to get back in to the modular, some vcas (veils, for example) work perfectly well

one thing to note with guitar pedals is they often don't work that well with bass frequencies

May sound boring, but I find myself using dedicated attenuverters a lot with DFAM... And mixers are always in full use for mixing modulation sources and mixing the Subharmonicon's VCO outs for chords or pads. Consider a matrix mixer (like AI Synthesis AI008) as you can route FX sends with it. Farkas is right: an FX module might come in handy as well. Or you can use effects pedals via ADDAC Pedal Integrator or similar devices.
And a precision voltage adder might be very useful (like VPME T43 or Doepfer A-185-2).
Cheers and all the very best for 2022 erveryone :-D

I feel like a dedicated effects module would compliment this set-up very well. Something like the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL would be a safe and useful addition to the Moog semi-modulars. Also, unless you already have the older Pamela's Workout, you will likely find Pamela's New Workout both easier to find and more fully featured.
Have fun and good luck.

this user has left ModularGrid

I make some cool hi hats from Erbeverb modulated by Maths as well as with Black Code Source for creative way to do so without dedicated percussion modules.

No worries all, we're running a bit behind. For those who haven't DM'ed me say hello and we'll sort getting your files.

Yea I heard that the new Matrix movie was a wokefest of bad fan fiction. Same with the Amazon Wheel of Time show that was a hot mess of woke race swapping and far left man hating LGBTQ agenda that disgraced the awesome Robert Jordan novels. Oh hell, guess it’s old movies, books and modular synths for me til this bad agenda ends.

Just did a quick sampling of the new release and wow! There’s lots of great soundscapes on offer. Will definitely be checking it out fully. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

I’m loving this. I should have some time to let this run all the way later today. :-)

I have yet to try setting up a deep, “self-generating” patch like this, but I really want to try.

Cheers!

Damn! I forgot to PM you sooner. Hopefully I’m not too late… Cheers!

@troux - check PMs...

I sent something! (late as usual)

I've literally no saved files, might have to try a Youtube downloader thing.
-- wishbonebrewery

before you fry your machine with some malicious program, you can also try to pull the MP4 from youtube (in the videos settings when logged in) and then render only the audio with a program like Premiere Pro or even Blender (free, but a little weird for this task)

I've literally no saved files, might have to try a Youtube downloader thing.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

If you have guitar effects pedals/stompboxes, there are modules that allow you to use those in your modular setup as well. I don't play guitar but since one of my builds is a Rackbrute 3U (small footprint), I got the Bastl Hendrikson which will allow me to use external stompbox (plural when I get a Electro-Harmonix Tri Parallel Mixer, which will let me connect up to 3 external pedals).

Hendrikson is discontinued but ALM also makes one called ALM006 - S.B.G...just something to consider since you play guitar and may have some effect pedals...or this would give you another reason to buy one :)

JB

I absolutely do want filters, but just don't know enough about them to make a decision. Are there any you'd recommend as good overall filter modules? Would Morgasmatron be a good choice?

-- canyllyr

ive played a few. i wasnt a big fan of the intellijel uvcf i had, but all the others have sounded good.
i wasnt fond of the control scheme of the lxd or the z2040, but they were both easy on the ears.
the doepfer lpg has a mean preamp and sick resonance and a little pricetag.
filters are fun modules to play manually so id look for one with a nice layout and cool features.
i remember really wanting voltage control of resonance, and feeling like i miss it when i play a filter without kt, but i cant remember ever using it a whole lot ;_;
a modulars a very personal thing so do some window shopping on youtube , figure out if you want low pass or state variable, 12 dB or 24 dB, &c

electricity comes from other planets

This was a one off project for my father. The idea being to replace a few pedals with some modules so he has less to carry when he goes out to play. It’s also in a custom case made of 4a flamed maple with F- holes. Guitar style :)
This is certainly nothing like having a full on synth nor was it designed to be. It’s purpose other than being small is only as a small standard fix unit for guitar, hence why it’s called “dads pedalboard”.
I almost went the multifx route(and I would have if this was for me) but it’s easier to have dedicated “pedals” or modules for understanding use/signal flow for someone who isn’t into synths and eurorack, and just comes from a guitar background.

It’s controlled by the EF in the dynamo which can pick up the velocity of your playing and modulate the verb, delay, drive, and filter(read wah). The videos are so my dad could learn about the modules in his new rack as he is brand new to synths/modular.
Certainly no one is buying this, as it was built only for only one purpose and one person in mind :)
You could make this with a rack of distings, but you cannot make a rack of distings with this.
Final result is a blast to play with
Cheers!

Decided to try and slim down a little by removing MX1 mixer and substituted a 2HP Mix. Considering removing the 2HP drums kit and tossing in an envelope follower with mic pre like the MI Ears. This is so I can hook in a mic and process harmonica/melodica. I'm pretty sure I can do this with the disting, but not positively sure. Might need to throw in a mic pre in between.

Current modules that have been purchased...
Maths, Disting, Buff Mult, CV Trinity, and Malekko Quad VCA.

Thoughts thus far? Fire away.

ModularGrid Rack

Hey Canyllyr

I would get a basic multimode filter until you know more of what you really want.
as you seem to like intellijel that Polaris or uvcf filter might be a good choice
-- pestilent
Thank you for the suggestions! I am not tied to Intellijel specifically.

This is really an alternative: start with a noise, shape it with an envelope, use a filter, a vca, some random, a delay, etc. Everyone has his own modules, his own recipes, and you end up with something that is personal and that suits the track perfectly.

It is for this pleasure that we buy modules that have a cost... and that we have even sometimes turned away from ready made sound banks and computers.

The price of a module (let's say from 100 to 1000 euros) is also the price of the pleasure of freedom and of working as a sound craftsman.

-- Sweelinck

I couldn't have said it more beautifully ...

Hey Canyllyr

I would get a basic multimode filter until you know more of what you really want.
as you seem to like intellijel that Polaris or uvcf filter might be a good choice

Well, nice stuff already in this thread, so I would like to contribute something...

I started a recording project about plants playing my modular, called it Plant Music and started to post the results here:

See you again in 2022 anyone!
M.

What about RRR or Anna Logue @wishbonebrewery? Both bangers

Since live streaming I've not saved a single file! I'll have to try plugging the little Tascam recorder in!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Juniper would be good. Kind of in the vein of some other stuff I was messing around with. Good call. Let me know if you need a wav file. I think you already have that one though.
Thanks!

What about Hauntitled or Juniper @farkas? Both are pretty fantastic!

Patch info in the video description.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

I haven't been satisfied with any ideas I've come up with over the past couple of months, but I'm working on a guitar/synth collab with a friend tonight. Not sure if we'll stumble upon with anything worthwhile though. I'll message you if anything comes of it. Creative lulls are frustrating. I'm sure it will pass eventually.

@farkas, @JimHowell1970 you two got anything cookin up?

Cool @M10C, downloaded. @wishboonebrewery, you have some non-streams you recorded this year too right? There was one techno jam you made with Marbles in particular that was really standout. I'll see if I can find it.

Great quote @Vow3ll. Words to live by.
I totally ripped off the name for my rack from a Bob Mould album. It fit what I was trying to accomplish though. :)
Take care!