I´ve got the Wasp and love it for the more gritty things, as it´s a tad bit noisy. Love my AJH Gemini and generally like dual filters compared to patching two single. Totally understand the itch for K/Morgasmatron. Then again, there are things like the Serpent Modular Sirius, which I really like for its character. High on my wishlist are Bionic Lester and RT-451. Last buy was a wmd aperture, but can´t yet say if that is a keeper, as I only did a function test so far (used).

Not sure how far you can get with that budget, it may make more sense to stay in the software realm, which also has a few benefits over hardware (no I/O issues, total recall, instancing). You may easily end up editing things on the computer anyway. If you miss the hands-on, probably buy one or two MIDI controllers instead.

Hw or Sw, I´d say you would probably benefit more from FX than standard modules (although you still need a few of those). Maybe look for some purpose built tools like zynaptic wormhole or go "modular fx" with BIOME and the like.

If it has to be eurorack hardware, zoia euroburo comes to mind, but it wouldn´t be me first choice in the given scenario.

Yep for the first letter function, I sometimes just scroll up and down by the arrow keys as well. Still found it most convenient using the browser bookmarks if I´m in "hey, let´s see which VCAs the brands I trust have on their list".

it may also encourage anyone who hasn't put a price on their module to actually put one!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Not sure if that search shortlist will come but we have the Build Type option for DIY which I guess is an intersection for many open source projects.

This is at least more comfortable than scrolling through n pages in the vendor dropdown.

Maybe you already know, just a quick tip to make that faster: if the manufacturer dropbox is in focus or opened you can type the first letters of the name of the manufacturer to select him. Works on all select boxes.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

I know most modular artists want cv over everything. I’m finding I like a better hands on interface at the expense of cv control, which is probably why I’m such an AJH fan. I love that Dual Contour Generator so much. Even though I wish it had cv control over rise and fall I’m considering getting a second one.

I like the option to filter by modules I own vs. all modules on this planet. Unfortunately, if you own any module multiple times, this is not reflected. That´s why I built an "inventory system", ie a rack that holds the exact numbers of things I own. Building a new system from this inventory is not very smooth, picking from a list works much better.

Same things goes for "modules I´m interested in". If one was able to have another list on the "all modules/my modules" level, this would be very convenient to pick from while building or editing a system.

TLDR: Can we have customs lists besides "all modules" and "my modules". Doesn´t have to be an unlimited number, but, say, 5 would be awesome.

Brainstorm to Feature Request :)

When looking for modules, I find myself repeating the same search over and over again, each time selecting a different vendor. Otherwise (=all vendors), I end up with hundreds of results I´m not interested in, sometimes because I had bad experiences with a certain brand, don´t like their style etc. Other people may want to exclude certain brands for any other reason, as seen in endless discussions around a certain brands ethics and whatnot. Or you want a list of known open source supporting companies as the foundation of your search.

It would be very helpful if we could multi-select in the vendor drop down.
It would be super awesome if we could build a shortlist of preferred vendors and recall that for a search.

My best workaround at the moment is saving bookmarks for every vendor selected. This is at least more comfortable than scrolling through n pages in the vendor dropdown.

Reasonable explanation @farkas, but nonetheless I remain greedy for CV control over all things.

Totally agree, better have a working solution that omits a few modules than having no function at all. Maybe add all modules that come without a price tag at the end, no matter which way you sort the list.

but you're still consciously giving Uli your money... which is up to you - I try not to - although it can't really be helped as they make a huge number of ICs that are in a wide variety of modules anyway...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thread: OPZ-Eurorack

it appears that the nifty case's midi implementation can cope with 2 cv/gate pairs - read the (fucking) manual - are they on the same midi channel? or different ones? how do you change this? can you change this?

once you know how the midi implementation works in the case, then consult the manual for how to set up the OPZ to take advantage of this! again RTFM!

I can't imagine that it is particularly difficult to do... probably just setting a value on the 2nd track in the OPZ in the menu system...

if you have any questions after you have done the above, please feel free to return and ask them below, however an OPZ or MIDI dedicated forum may be more useful to you...

On first glance, I think I would be tempted to remove the York passive mult and the 4ms buffered mult in the third case (you already have the buffered Links mult in case #1 and you could spend $20 for a few external splitters), move the 4ms Rotating Clock Divider from case #2 to case #3, and insert the Nin in case #2.

the simplest solution to me is:

take the clep diaz out in the short term & buy another case... and put clep diaz in it...

or better yet... put a decent handful of modules in it and get some blind panels...

similar to @nickgreenbergs solution - but you still get to keep all your cases - so you can have one or 2 that you can pull out

given the number of voices you have it would make sense to rationalize quantization across them - can't recommend the sinfonion enough for this...

I find separate cases easy to deal with - I have 6 and will add 2 more (well 2 * 6u/84 hp in 2 6u desktop racks)

I like this solution as it is easier to deal with individual cases on a power and maintenance level and I can have a couple that I can pull out for whatever reason to use standalone - 1 for audio, 1 for video, in my case!

I think the idea was to keep the Wave Swarm within the AJH 14hp footprint. CV over 12 LFOs would have made the module much larger, and might not have been all that musical with the clashing of the individually timed "beating" LFOs. More of a set it and forget it kind of module.

Do you use these 3 racks at the same time (like one big rack) or do you use them (and must they stay) independent?

If it's basically 1 big rack then I suggest you make one big MG rack reflecting all the modules, with like modules fairly nearby.

I see a lot of modules I like, but IMO it is harder to assess completeness/balance with the modules spread out like above.

Also, if you use these modules altogether, a maybe obvious suggestion is you invest in new case(s) which will give you more HP plus more chances to consolidate racks. Over time, I've moved to bigger cases, my small cases still end up getting used for various tasks (e.g. I don't find it a terrible waste to have a small case or two left over).

[Edit]... so I did just go through module by module. Lots of good stuff, seems like a reasonable balance of modules all considered. If it was my rig being used all together, what I'd be thinking about next would be some combination of:
-- a bigger case to put everything in and leave some room for expansion, plus enough blanks to fill voids safely
-- an active switch like Switchblade or BossBow2 so you can sequence your sequencers, switch audio at audio rate, etc.
-- a complex OSC like Cs-L (mainly because I love those types of things)
-- a couple wavefolders, lots of interest to be had on that front
-- Joranalogue Morph 4 for use with CV and or audio. A versitile and powerful unit
-- some NonLinearCircuits chaos and logic circuits (TripleSloths, Hypster, Neuron, etc) to add more unexpected stuff
-- PNW's 24PPQN expander plus extra mults for easy clocking everything else off of PNW (unless this sync issue is already handled)

In other words, if you like and use everything you have, why not keep it, add HP when you can, and cherry pick a couple great adds when possible?

If you have to keep to an HP/budget limit for whatever reason, I'd suggest you drop the biggest item you use the least. Last I should say, it's already a powerful rig, you could skip all the suggestions above and still have lots of great stuff to make sounds with!

HI All

These are my racks at the moment but I want to incorporate the nin expander for the extra 4 cv inputs but I'm struggling to find space for it.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on what you would remove. I guess I could go for the thing I use the least but I've taken a lot of time, money and effort to build these and pretty much everything gets used frequently.

ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks in advance

Thanks @greenfly, that makes a lot of sense!

Wow Wave Swarm looks cool, but why no CV control 🤔🤔🤔

HI Nick,

The grey ones are clones of the Roland system 100

The black one are clones of the Moog system 55

The silver ones are clones of the arp 2500

I have a few of the Roland and Moog ones. The build quality is fantastic and having used them, my experience is not on par with the anti - Behringer backlash you tend to hear from I guess I'll call those peeople purists. Each to there own though, the prices are fantastic so there are no complaints from me on that front. I pair my Behringer filter with the Intellijel rubicon 2 as there are 3 inputs on each filter and 3 modulation sources per filter as well as two outs per filter. The only thing I'd say is the hpf settings are a bit severe for my taste and really thin out the sound so I tend to not use those but as I understand they are advertised as 'faithful to the original' remakes.

regards

If I can ask a couple dumb questions:

-- what are the Behringer units clones of? Moog, ARP, others?
-- are the Behringer units good enough quality to merit purchase?

While I follow a lot of music tech, I've basically ignored the Behringer stuff because my sales guy at a US retailer you'd know has said the Behringer hardware has quality issues and he won't sell it to me (given my normal preferences for enduring quality). Is this off base? Is the Behringer Eurorack stuff solid or even great?

Yes it would be a lot of fun to have an "impossible in the olden days meeting of classics" rack like Lugia's above. Sigh, more $s...

this user has left ModularGrid

That looks great Lugia. I'll definitely be buying those Buchla clones, they look awesome.

I have the Behringer filters from Roland in my main rack which are awesome and the dual ADSR is great too with the inverted envelope, which comes in very handy for side chain. Just a note on the adsr's though, the travel on each slider is a bit strange in that if you want to make a pluck you have to set them really low. I'm not sure if the original Roland ones had the same behaviour.

But it can...
ModularGrid Rack
Notice: this thing contains numerous modules that, back in the day, would NOT talk to each other or play nicely in the same cab. Voicing is on the upper two rows, control on the lower two. But you'd never have put Moog or ARP modules in the same build with the Buchla modules. And adding the Roland clones opens things up even more, along with a few modules from other manufacturers. In actuality, this turned out to be a pretty potent build, and I'm going to file this one for future reference. Plus, by the time I get around to building this, I'll probably have to change it, as Tiptop's stated that there WILL be further Buchla/Tiptop modules on the way.

And yes, a cassette deck is another source in this system...albeit a twisted sort of cassette deck with a chopper circuit and CV over speed.

Thanks @farkas!

-- Chainsaw is something I've known about, but stayed away from, because I'm not just interested in supersaw/supersquare, but more interested in superXYZ where I could take ANY waveform and give it stack unison detune spread treatment

-- AJH Wave Swarm looks like maybe something I will end up getting. From what I've read so far, it seems similar to Ladik Animator except WaveSwarm has more control and 2 channels in one unit. Great suggestion!!! I'm going to dig into that one's lit/vids more!

-- I have to say, Ladik Animator at only ~$100 bucks is something I might just try BUT the 8hp not crazy deep units are out of stock and only the 4HP crazy deep units are available. Those 4HP units measure 125mm/4.9" deep which is more than my Doepfer case can take at its deepest (4.5"). BUT if anyone has and loves these Ladik units maybe I would try to get the 8hp (less deep) ones when available...

Any other ideas / comments? Thanks!

Thread: Mento Foam

Self driving drone with a voice over of a psychologist examining a schizophrenic. I see that Halloween decorations went up middle of September, which seems a bit early, but I can groove with that.

Really inspiring – ace job!

I got a good laugh out of this, well done @modulagrid 🤣🤣🤣
-- troux

We have to protect the mainframe!

I got a good laugh out of this, well done @modulagrid 🤣🤣🤣

I love any dub experiments with Eurorack, great example:)

one of my latest uploads and my first post here...hope you like it:)

Patch Notes:
- DFAM is used as Main Clock
- 4 Voices from Subharmonicon are going through Doepfers sequential switch into the external input of DFAM
- DFAMs velocity output controls the steps of Doepfers sequential switch
- Subharmonicon is going to Koma Elektronik Field Kit FX for slightly distortion and some delay
- Cre8audios Chips is sending a LFO (more like S&H) to the filters of Subharmonicon, Crave and Ripples (which is used for Plaits)
- Crave is running an arpeggiator, oscillator frequency is detuned with internal LFO
- Plaits receives some random notes from Pamela’s New Workout
- Volca Keys plays a chord only on step one, so it's a kind of a loop
- Boss RE20 and RV6 used as send effects

this user has left ModularGrid
Thread: OPZ-Eurorack

Hey,

I want to control my eurorack with my OPZ. I have a NiftyCase with MI Plaits and MI Rings. Sequencing one of the two modules is not a problem. But is it possible to sequence both modules on different tracks on the OPZ? I mean controlling both separately from each other with two different sequences?

Thanks in advance

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I think this time we had luck. Preparing for Theos next move ...

What was hacked? I don't feel as if I've been interfered with..... Maybe it was just a wardrobe malFunkshon and my arse was out?

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

alert(”hacked by theo”)
-- Theo67204

all systems on full alert: engage countermeasures to intercept evil haxor theo!

at the end makes most sense - "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!!" kind of idea - hopefully all 'commercial' modules will then get a price tag and those that don't might be "Dave's homebrew triple vca with built in coffee maker, or whatever" which no one but Dave cares about...

alert(”hacked by theo”)

Nice, thanks for the patch break down @wishbonebrewery!

Thread: Change Log

Sorting by price

Sorting by price works better now and should return results you actually would expect.

You all got it right, the price sort function was broken since the beginning of MG times.
The problem is, that modules can have USD and EUR prices, just USD, just EUR or neither. These prices are stored in different table columns. On the website it was trivial to calculate the missing currency from the currency that was there but I did not get the sorting right on SQL level, e.g. calculate all the missing prices within the sort option.
I have now found a way that should improve the situation with one caveat: modules without a price do not show up when sorting by price. If I would include them, all modules without a price (price == null) would be at the beginning of the search result which might be confusing? Do you think that makes sense or should they be appended to the end of the search result?

All I want is to filter for functions (or maybe other things) and then get a list with modules starting at the lowest price.

I hope that is working better now!

this is one of the better outcomes of Waver that i have heard. i picked one up myself feeling really excited over the idea of it, but i’ll admit to not really gelling with it yet. haven’t given up on it, but i don’t feel that i ever really love what i am able to get out of it so far.

any advice? tips?
-- bigham

Try Feedback. Try inputting modulation instead of sound in A IN and C IN

i have a squarp hermod for sale im not using its a powerfull eurorack sequencer

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

yeah - same experience here - when I had a button fail... brilliant customer service...

by original I meant built by mutable - ie not a clone...
-- JimHowell1970

i tried sending mutable support a email.

and wow that was fast costumer service,already 2 minutes after i got a email saying that i could send the module back to her,and she would take a look:)

Hello, if you are post processing this plugin is great to add sub to your music if its lacking - its on sale for £39.99 and you can get £20 off with a voucher from them.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_bass_mint.html
-- greenfly

my goal is to get a fat sub in the modular itself without a lot of post processing,but thanks for the advice

Hello, if you are post processing this plugin is great to add sub to your music if its lacking - its on sale for £39.99 and you can get £20 off with a voucher from them.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_bass_mint.html

Thanks for putting so much effort into this @GarfieldModular. I read the full report for the SEM and listened to the sound examples. I have been interested in this filter since I first discovered eurorack. I'll definitely add this filter to my collection before the end of the year. The Moog Ladder Filter and the SEM are exactly what I consider perfect examples of what a synth should sound like.
Thanks again for all of your work.