So what you're saying is that even though you recognize that there is a solution (the Panel Selector), because the solution is somewhat inconvenient, you feel entitled to exacerbate the larger problem of adding entries for functionally identical modules that differ only in their panels.

Edit: I guess it's a moot point now; the entry in question has been removed.

seems cool! i’ve got an XPO in the mail currently and am quite looking forward to it. I also currently own an x-pan and at first they seem like they’d match up well, but it occurred to me that x-pan is really for mixing and panning four MONO sources. how are you using it with XPO? it is difficult to tell from the video with the patch cables in the way. I suppose you could patch two L signals to the first input and two R to the second and hard-pan them. or the mono outs to the mono ins on x-pan and one of the stereo outs to the aux?

I’ve been getting back into making music after many years of silence. This is for fun / passion / sanity / therapy vs a pursuit of money or fame, but i do value then right tools for the right jobs so i do research, try things out and reevaluate on the regular.

Synths are not new to me but Modular is - so I went semiMod at first (minibrute 2s, moog GM, then sound studio modules..) and have taken pains to select gear with cv IO (Hapax brain,Hydrasynth, a moog slim phatty, drumbrute impact and microfreak).

The Modular’s purpose is just to expand the menu of things I can do with the entire synth crew as a whole - and introduce granular capabilities and simple sampler function to boot.

I’m trying to decide between a couple options I think will serve my needs here well: the IntelliJ quad VcA at 12p and a PAIR of Doepfer A-132-3v modules that would consume 16hp.

Also idly looking at adding an slim HP LFO module that could modulate nearly anything I’ve got. Looking at Divkid’s 0chd and the Swiss Army knife of a MK 3 or 4 Disting.

Rack pic: (shows doepfer and both LFO options, but those aren't really in my collection)
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2050088.jpg?1666316761

And yes I know, a mother-32 here is a hog, but I have my subharmonicon and DFAM in a custom hardwood rack and don’t plan on buying more modules (and needing better rack real estate ROI) until I master what I’ve got.

So what’s your opinion? Everyone’s got one :)

PS. I'm happy to answer questions about any gear I've mentioned...

Interesting patch! It definitely goes into some strange/beautiful territory. I think Rampage is going to be my next DIY project. Thanks for sharing.

Nice! Nautilus really does some very cool effects. Definitely a keeper. Is it just me or does it really do granular better than Clouds/Beads? I tried both of those modules hoping it would sound like Nautilus does. OK, maybe Nautilus is technically not "granular" but it is the sound I was after with those modules. Cheers!

It is hyponotic! Some cool sounds in there, for sure. I am not a "techno soldier", but there are definitely a few here. Thanks for sharing.

First jam with the new Make Noise XPO. It sounds amazing. This is a one-take, raw performance recording. No additional processing on the audio.

Here are the rough patch notes:

XPO to X-Pan to QPAS to Mimeophon
VPME QD for Kick and Clicks - Clicks go through Chronoblob 2

Rene X channel driving the main sequence - goes into XPO main 1v/O
Rene Y channel is driving key changes going into XPO 1v/O second input
Rene C is sequencing Blades cutoff which is filtering the VPME Clicks
PNW is modulating Snake changes on Rene X

Planar 2 X axis is set up to drive QPAS cutoff on the second input
Planar Y axis is driving the XPO FM level

PNW is sending S&H to QPAS main cutoff
PNW is pinging the left wildcard input on QPAS with a euclidean rhythm
Sloths is modulating QPAS Q level

XPO Saw and Sub outs are going into X-Pan Aux and Maths is fading them in and out

Tides is modulating Fade and Pan on X-Pan A & B Channels
Diode Chaos is modulating QPAS Radiate levels
Ochd is modulating Mimeophon Zones
Batumi is modulating PWM on XPO

Quadrax is enveloping XPO square waves with a sharp attack and longer release, and enveloping the wave fold outs with a soft attack and sharp release

Performance Mixer brings it all together and Strymon Starlab provides some reverb through the Aux send/return.

The official modulargrid admin has provided the solution: consolidate modules that are functionally the same but merely have different faceplates, and just use the provided Panel Selector tool to switch between versions.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11176
-- sibilant

You'll note that I linked to that thread above. From that post:

chaos215bar2PM Posted: Jun 8th, 00:30 Quote
It’s a problem when you have multiple racks. See above.

That was not addressed. If the panel selector doesn't work across racks, and it doesn't even work when copying and pasting a module across racks, then it is not a sufficient solution. This would be why many manufacturers continue to add multiple panel options as separate modules.

If panel selection can be made "sticky" per module per user, that would be fine, and duplicate versions of modules could be cleaned up. That would help a lot with database efficiency.

As it is, I've had modules change in existing racks, and as you can see in the other posts I linked as well as the one you linked, so do other users. Manufacturer's submissions get overridden unless locked to the manufacturer... which leads users with alternate faceplates to create duplicate modules. Same problem again.

ℹ︎nformation source | Bandcamp | YouTube

The 8S sequencer from Transient Modules. As the name implies, it’s an 8 step sequencer with some nice mods. No note CV so you’re setting note value by turning pots, but great control over forward/reversing the sequence, holding notes, and randomizing the sequence.
One surface mount IC, but it’s a pretty easy one to install.
I like this unit very much, I’ll be using it a lot.

Build and demo

The official modulargrid admin has provided the solution: consolidate modules that are functionally the same but merely have different faceplates, and just use the provided Panel Selector tool to switch between versions.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11176

Schlappi has black and silver versions of many modules here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=685. The standard for Schlappi in the browser here is silver, with black panels listed separately for most modules.

I added a black panel version earlier today, since my beautiful chrome-on-chrome panel was destroyed by some heartless cretin who decided that not only is black the standard, but that my hard work creating a black panel version should be undone with a "DUPLICATE PLEASE REMOVE". I have of course undone that vandalism.

Nice as it would be for the panel selection functionality to work properly, it doesn't; everyone who's had their manufacturer panel for, say, Pamela's New Workout suddenly and surprisingly replaced by a one-off black panel is aware of this. It would be ideal if the panel selection feature anchored to an official version, perhaps, but it does not. So, we have this solution in lieu of that.

Black/Silver panels are not listed as duplicates across the rest of ModularGrid. Add the black panel version to your rack if it's important to you.

See further discussion:
- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11726
- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8/page:8
- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11176
- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8571 (suggests consolidation 2 years ago, fails to address the panel selection issues since then).

TL;DR: either consolidate all modules or none, forum fights are boring.

great modules btw, praise be to Lord Schlappi. cheers

ℹ︎nformation source | Bandcamp | YouTube

I love sequencers, I love Nerdseq. Everyone else is doing a great job explicating it, so I'll be brief:

Nerdseq can do intricately programmed music/ cv modulation etc. on par with a DAW, but when I play modular I am not interested in just pressing play on a composition, I want to be able to improvise and genuinely 'play' the instrument. SO, after years of testing many different sequencers, I've settled on a suitcase rack with a performer, and a suitcase rack with a nerdseq. The performer is very immediate obviously, and the Nerdseq is as well, but it took me longer to get to the point where I could real-time jam on it.

For me, the biggest hurdle with getting fast on the Nerdseq was simply the screen.
1. There are a lot of numbers, so it takes concentration to decipher quickly, and 2. It's in hex, so you have to be ok with that.
It took time for me to get comfortable with it, at first it gave me eye fatigue from staring deeply, trying to figure out what's going on. Two years in, I feel like I can start from scratch, and just play a show, boom. Love elektron sequencers and many others also, but to me, it's the holy grail!

PS. I understand anyone frustrated by it, literally every sequencer has advantages/disadvantages, and I get how annoying it can be to look at a moving screen covered in numbers. uggh

this user has left ModularGrid

I found this thread by googling 'considering selling Nerdseq'.

I've had mine for many years, and while it's very capable it's complicated and confusing. And horrific for input in my opinion. I've been waiting years for the USB expander with the latest Novation Mini Launchpad sitting in a box ready for it, but I'm tired of waiting and tired of being frustrated with it.

Now that Digitakt has song mode, I think I might sell the Nerdseq and use the Digi alongside something like the Endorphines Shuttle Control.

It's kind of sad to let it go but if I'm honest with myself, I'm just not happy with it at all, even though it's the best 'in the rack' sequencer available. I just hope I don't regret it!

Hey 33PO ///
It's all packed in there pretty tight! Navigating patch cables to get to knobs will undoubtedly be a bit of a challenge!

ModularGrid Rack

I dropped the 2nd VCA and devoted the extra hp to the FX Aid XL, as I like that it has three separate modulation inputs amongst a few other additional features over it's smaller 4hp brother. I'm keeping the 2hp Clock module for now, maybe to free up the Disting for other functions.

I think this is a sweet little system! Your suggestions and help have been incredible, I'm truly indebted to you! Thank you so much!

I'll probably start perusing new/used gear for a 6hp Plaits, uO_C, a filter and a headphone out and see if I can't start slowly putting this together...

Hmm, that's a lot in a small space.

The 2hp VCA feels a little redundant with the larger one in there too. Here's some conflicting suggestions if you drop it and free up 2hp:
swap the FX-Aid for an FX-Aid XL
or...
Disting can also be a clock, so maybe also drop the 2hp Clk and swap the DistingMK4 for the DistingEX

O/C + Plaits + a headphone out is all you'd really need to get started making bloops. Then start adding FX or anything you feel is missing

EDIT: Maybe 1 channel of Pons Asinorum in LFO mode could be used as a clock?

Hey 33PO ///
I made a few adjustments as per your suggestions:

ModularGrid Rack

Swapped out the two Picos (Scale and 1x Drums), the Buff Multi and 1x 2hp VCA for Pons Asinorum, and one of the 4hp 1/2 Veils Clone dual VCA's.

I can't fit the Disting EX AND the 4hp Dual VCA, unless I can possibly use another module as a clock source/generator? I would think one of these other modules could act as the clock but I'm just not sure, hence the dedicated 2hp module...

Don't waste HP on the multiple

An envelope / LFO like Pons Asinorum would be a good choice

I'd keep one of the Pico Drums drop the 2nd, and drop the Pico Scale

Maybe switch the DistingMk4 for DistingEX

If there's room swap the 2hp VCA for one of the 4HP 2x VCA Veils clone

Like this little ridiculous thing...

ModularGrid Rack

Thread: Filter banks

Your attention has shifted. They have been selling their filter banks before.

Hey jb1264 ///
Thanks for chiming in! These are awesome considerations!

I looked at the O&C and it's variants, and I have the Disting MK4 in a few other potential cases as it seems like a no-brainer packing so many functions into a mere 4hp. My thoughts are that with Pam's, O&C and/or Disting in one small setup, while incredibly powerful and versatile, will be kind of time-consuming with the "menu-diving" and may inhibit creativity... but I also don't know for sure as I'm completely inexperienced and have never even seen or touched any of these modules in person. That's just my immediate reaction based solely on my amateur research. The Ghost, albeit big, still has the knob-per-function satisfaction I enjoy in more of the performative and messing around sense.

The Happy Nerding FX Aid XL looks awesome! MylarMelodies features it in one of his videos where he does builds in the smaller Intellijel Palette Case ("Suggested Systems" series) and creates some patches to feature each of the modules he's selected, so it's definitely been on my radar. Maybe the FX Aid teamed up with a Disting or Ornament and Crime module would be sort of a happy medium?

Again, thanks so much for your suggestions! This is all great stuff!

Late to the game on this thread but surprised nobody mentioned Ornament & Crime (or Disting EX or MK4) which give you a lot of flexibility in a smaller HP case like this, especially if you have Hemispheres installed on O_C, which is also available a 1U version.

Throwing in for FX Aid XL (or even Pro) which is 10HP smaller than Ghost (2HP less for FX Aid Pro). I think for a smaller setup like this, FX Aid XL will give you excellent effects in a much smaller module...and now you have 10HP more to play around with :)

JB

Hey Manbearpignick ///
Thanks for the warning haha! The book itself retails for $75, that's already a bit of a red flag for me!

Thank you everyone for the advice! I've definitely got some options to play around with. The ES-8 seems like exactly the piece of equipment I'd like to have, though my research is telling me it might not play well with Windows. Anyone have experience with that? Seems like it goes through ASIO4ALL which I recall being a bit finnicky to install but otherwise working fine on my old machine.

You're welcome. The Patch & Tweak book is nice but be warned, as it's a shopping catalogue in disguise and may make you lust for more modules!

Hey Manbearpignick ///
I really appreciate your advice and I don't find it patronizing at all! This is golden information!

I downloaded VCV Rack a little while ago and messed around a little, I should really focus and spend more time with it exploring and learning the voltage(s) themselves and how different modules are affected by or affect them. You nailed it on the head, I definitely need to spend more time learning before I put together a physical system. It's just such an exciting new discovery for me and I need to restrain myself, do the recon and gather intel so I'm better equipped if and when the time comes to start acquiring physical modules.

Thank you so much for the Omri Cohen Youtube suggestion, that's awesome as well as the book recommendations! I honestly haven't been able to find much literature supporting the ins and outs of modular synthesis, there's a book by Kim Bjorn and Chris Meyer entitled "Patch and Tweak: Exploring Modular Synthesis" that seems like a more recent publication that could be helpful too...

I can't thank you enough for your words of guidance and suggestion, it's incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

Are there any chaos modules that have the ability to go from LFO rates to audio rates "smoothly"?
-- prester_john

Check out the Ian Fritz Hypster from Nonlinearcircuits: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-ian-fritz-s-hypster

My advice for you would be to focus less on the actual modules - what each one can/cannot do and instead, try to hold off on buying things and get on VCV Rack. Since VCV (DAW that follows the rules of modular) is free and many manufacturers offer virtual versions of their real-world modules, it is an excellent way to learn. Or if you already have VCV, spend more time on it.

Based on your posts, I'd recommend you really get to know how voltage works in modular by using attenuators, attenuverters, offsets, and other essential utilities in your explorations on VCV - you simply won't get good results from the various racks you've been posting without them.

Check out Omri Cohen's YouTube and Patreon for an insane amount of content that covers all of this. And for books, try "An Individual Note" by Daphne Oram". "Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques and Controls" is another 'bible' for modular and is finally getting re-printed soon (Nov maybe) thanks to a Kickstarter.

Hope that helps and apologies if this comes of patronizing - everyone goes through the same journey really, myself included!

Hey TOMMI001 ///
Great suggestion! I have a Circuit Tracks and I adore it, I remember throwing a track together within minutes right out of the box and thinking to myself "Man... this thing is AWESOME!" Similar to you, the Circuit Tracks has travelled with me and has certainly earned a place in my heart (and luggage).

My thoughts surrounding the portable modular case idea were encouraged by workflow and inspiration. For me personally, and in my very limited experience with modular (with my 0-Coast, which isn't technically "modular" I guess...), the sound creation is much more organic and rewarding, if that makes any sense. It's more of a process or journey, but when you get that sound (either by accident or on purpose) that you've been looking for or newly discovered, I feel like it's so much more rewarding. To be able to achieve that while on the road with a smaller system would be so cool.

What I could do for now, is throw my 0-Coast in the bag with the Circuit Tracks, and in the interim, begin putting together a larger, more proper eurorack case at home, just one or a few modules at a time as unanimously suggested. That seems like the smarter, more logical path.

I have to admit though, the Palette Case above that has been collectively constructed with the help of Shakespeare and 33PO is pretty fricken sweet!

Okay.. throwing another idea in :)
a Novation Circuit Tracks for traveling.. been my companion for a while now and before that the OG circuit; small and pretty tough device. Will set you back around 350 euros.

besides this; it has 4 midi tracks.. so at home it's my main sequencer plus drum machine for my eurorack system.

Hey 33PO ///
Nice! The Happy Nerding Mixer is a sweet addition, and I like that now with the 1u Stereo Out you can utilize the jacks on the case itself if you wanted to.

The voice of reason is valid though, for at least half the price you could get a piece of equipment that will actually do WAY more in a self-contained and portable unit than the palette case above... yikes.

Thread: Filter banks

Why are people selling their filter banks at this time (fuma, bark filter...)?
Is there a new module I missed? Cascadia? ^^ :)

2 dislike = 150e lost. Still loving modular (:

Great tips from Joris above. I'm using an ES-9 myself (kinda like a big ES-8) to send all my channels separately to my iPad. I guess you can do the same on a PC/mac. Put each in a channel strip, then add any EQ or sidechain compression you like. I worked with a basic Ladik mixer and Befaco out before, but when I finally switched to AUM (audio mixer on iPad), it was a revelation. The ES-9 also has outs, so I send the mix back from iPad to the ES-9 where I can send it out to speakers or headphone. Having every channel in a channel strip setup also allows me to add a few effects when I run out of effect modules

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Muddiness usually occurs in a mix when there are multiple lower frequencies, these tend to clash more than higher frequencies.
Do you have drums and/or multiple voices in you system that you use as bass sounds?
There are a couple of things you can try here:
- Narrow down the deep bass voices to one at a time, or mix them in one by one to see when it starts to sound muddy
- If you use multiple voices/drums in the lower frequencies, use highpass filters to filter out the lowest colliding frequencies
- Create a sidechain with you kick and bass: mult the trigger signal that triggers the kick to a AD/AR envelope, invert this envelope and set the offset to +5V, so that when the envelope is triggered the signal is moved from +5V to 0V and back. Patch the bass voice into a VCA with the CV controlled by the inverted/offset envelope, and patch this to the mix output. Now the bass gets "silenced" when the kick hits, creating a more clean mix
- Use two separate mixer modules (doesn't have to be a mixer as a lot of modules can mix signals among doing other things, MN Maths for example) and mix on your PC, as you usually have more options in a DAW for equalizing and to see at what frequency the issue occurs. Something like Expert Sleepers ES8 can work as well, you can send your separate sounds to the ES8 and mix them in a DAW.

Like mentioned in the posts above, it can also be that there's an issue with the loudness of the output from your eurorack, as these are generally way louder than normal synth/instrument volume levels. Try to decrease the volume output of your eurorack to see it if sounds less muddy.

Good luck!

It's been fixed :D I had contact with RYK and they were very responsive and helpful. They instructed me to do some continuity checks the trace they've send me lead to IC9 (on the bottom left IC on the main PCB). This IC is responsible for the midi input I guess and it had a leg that was not soldered properly. Added some extra tin and the module works like a charm. Updating it through sysex was a piece of cake as well.

The module now works as intended for me, as the newer firmware has the option to use the midi input as a clock reset. This method is solid and patching the reset from something like a euclidean rythm is really fun.

Props again to RYK, their support is very responsive and even though a third party build it they were willing to help me sort out the problem.

Thread: MI clones ?

Thank you very much for your help and share.
Christophe

Here's an update with headphone out and a stereo mixer. (click through - the preview isn't updating)

ModularGrid Rack

Sanity check... MPC Live II or Synthstrom Deluge are about 1/2 the price of this rack. Both are portable, battery powered and have everything needed to compose full complex songs.

I ordered them in the meantime, so I’ll let y'all know how it goes!

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Hey Manbearpignick ///
I wouldn't say I'm entirely committed to the case, but the 64hp 4u palette case seems the best suited for portability. I have a bigger, more permanent shelf/rack in the works later down the road, but I'll be traveling for a few months this winter and I wanted to come up with a portable modular groove-box of sorts!

Have you already committed to the cases?

Okay... I think I'm getting close...

ModularGrid Rack

1u
•Swapped dual chainable mixers for Quadratt as it can be used as mixer/attenuator/attenuverter
•Added S&H Module

3u
•Brought Ghost back as it is so ridiculously versatile regarding effects
•Added 2hp Dual VCA

I'm feeling pretty good about this, but I'm unsure if that 2hp slot might be better utilized as something else as there are already two VCA's in the Delta-V? My other thought was the 2hp 4-Channel Mixer to support the Quadratt if necessary. Or maybe an equalizer or trimming module?

this user has left ModularGrid

Fine transaction with @Inzomnia
Thx !

It might sound redundant, but I suggest you play with it for a while without planning or adding anything. Adding a second VCO might be early now IMO.
-- Harko93

Yes absolutely! It's super fun to play already. I just want to fully utilize the power of the Keystep Pro, this is where a second VCO would come in handy. Some drum modules would also be great or rather a drum machine to connect with the Keystep (still not sure what the better choice would be). But GAS is hitting me for sure thats why i plan ahead ^^

Cheers 33PO ///

After reading about the Ghost and watching a couple videos of it in action, it's a total beast! I feel your enthusiasm and hope you're able to pick one up at some point! I'm definitely an advocate of multiple functions housed under one faceplate, and will certainly add Ghost to my ever-growing wishlist of modules to research and/or eventually obtain.

Thanks for the advice on starting slow with a few modules at a time, it's tough to bridle my excitement and approach the whole situation with patience and common sense rather than just dive in like part of me wants to! Perusing the forums here, the multitude of information available from manufacturers, retailers, YouTube, Reddit etc as well as help from people like yourself has been priceless and so helpful. I truly appreciate your time and words.

A mixer with stereo output, with its pan controls, would partially solve this problem.
I have a Tesseract unit Mixer+Master Out
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-4-mono-channels
and
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section
Good quality-price ratio.
This module has send-return outs, mute switches and it's expandable.

Ghost packs so much sound shaping into a single module it's impressive. Delay, Reverb, Compression (with side chain), VCA, multiple distortions, multi-mode filter PLUS the effects chain can be reordered with a single button press. To be honest I added it here because I want one, and I think it'd be awesome for a small standalone system.

Admittedly separate modules for all of the above will have greater flexibility, but also at greater space and greater cost. None will provide the instant gratification of a single module that does them all simultaneously.

The fun thing about modular is figuring out what works best for each us personally

Common advice to everyone is to get a bigger case than you think you'll need. AND start slow. Get a few modules at a time. Use them for a while to learn what you'd like to add next.

Pam's, Plaits and headphone out is enough to start making noises

Indeed! Cheap and effective. Weird it was not listed here so far, I felt the gap was to be closed :)

--
cmn

Thread: MI clones ?

Totally agree. Solid, quality built and great value also in terms of HP space.
At the moment I have 2 MI clones (uTides2, nRings) + Ornament & Crime:
ModularGrid Rack
but planning to add several more MI clones and other exciting new gear (the COCO family).

--
cmn

if you want to use your computer with modular buy an ES-8, that way you can send each signal separately to your computer and EQ to your hearts content there.

Also think about the frequency of your sounds and try to layer your sounds by octave range. This will result in a cleaner mix

Sometimes on filters you get different outputs like bandpass or highpass outputs which are good to use when you already have your bass sorted.

Maybe something like this..?

ModularGrid Rack

•Swapped Plaits for smaller 8hp Calsynth variant for space conservation
•Swapped Ghost for Pico DSP and Ampla Versio modules for FX and Filter
•Added Headphone out

Does this seem viable? Any noticeable red flags? I could potentially add another Pico Drums to expand percussion/sampling capabilities or maybe a Disting MK4?