Do i have to have a midi module or is that optional

Depends on what you want to do.
But definitely optional (to answer the question).

i want it as a backup mainly sequencing and psy trance i have other synths to do lead with so the modular can go automatically

How are you sequencing your other stuff? If your setup has a clock/sync output or CV/Gate outputs, this may be enough to just run them side by side.

Right now I'm only planning haven't started yet but you made things simple when you mentioned that but right now I'm using the Novation circuit mono for sequencing

The BeatStep Pro is one of the most used solutions : https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/beatstep-pro/details

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

But will i need a midi to cv module or no

-- ELJ666

no...

one of the brilliant things about modular is that technically you do not need any specific type of module at all..

filters can be sound sources, some vcos can be lfos, utilities can be a sequencer, sequencers can be modulation sources...

if and only if you want to control pitch and timing in your modular via midi do you need a midi -> cv module...

I have had a modular for 7 or 8 years... I have never owned a midi -> cv module

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

thanks that really helps because I'm new to this well I saw it back in 2010 and got an Analogue Solutions Red Square and now I wanna take the plunge

Re the BeatStep - No
It has 8 x trigger outs for the drums &, CV & Gate out for the 2 x sequencers so no midi required.
I used this in the beginning and found it very good at a reasonable price

Wow cool

I really like both the 100 series and 55 series modules should i mix and match or build both separately

NerdSeq. Modular, midi in/out(w/a 2hp expander), and some limited FM out all in one.
Can be tough to learn, but deep as you will ever need to build auto noodle patches.
The Swiss army knife of sequencers.

The Nerdseq also has extensive Launchpad integration for a variety of functions, making it a lot more hands-on than it seems at first.