Get rid of one of the C4RBN's and add QX Expander for Quadrax. Move the DFAM and SubH out of the rack and buy one of those fabricated stands made for them, they take up/waste a lot of HP space in your rack. I have DFAM/SubH/Mother32 and bought a three tier stand for them...I can use them with or without the rest of my modular in this way.

JB

The MIX BX is a large module for a smaller build like this. Take a look at something like Cosmix which is half the size and still a very powerful mixer. Also maybe Bitbox Micro instead of Salmple which saves 3 more HP...now you have 22HP extra. Maybe add an effects module like FX Aid Pro (14HP) and you have 8HP to add Pamela's New Workout as a clock source for everything.

JB

Hello,
I have a same question about the very same topic.
I'm new to modular and started to get interested into this since few weeks, but have years of experience with guitars, pedals, synth, noise machines, etc.

My possible approach to a modular system would be to have something that I can both use stand alone (like in a drone/noise/ambient manner) or together with my guitar and synths and made so that I can implement/interface it also with instruments levels so that I can rout it thru my guitar pedalboard for example.

I did some experiments with VCV Rack, and found very powerful a combination of Plaits and a second VCO/oscillator combined with a quad LFO to generate sounds and drones.
After talking with a friend and try out few his modules, I also got very interested about Schlappi and Noise Engineering modules. For example I like a lot the Desmodus series, since the same module can be loaded with all firmwares available. Boundary looks like I swiss army knife that I can use as VCO, envelope, etc...
But I also find Doepfer modules to be super cool, simple and utile to what you need them for.

I would like to keep it as small and compact as possible, like 64HP. After few mindstorms, I came up with this first idea, pictured below.

My only concern at the moment is the Strymon AA.1: are there any other alternatives out there for such "guitar interfaces", so that, as said, I can insert my guitar (or another synth) into this system and then go out back into my pedalboard?
What modules to you use? Otherwise any other advices?

ModularGrid Rack

What elevates Eurorack effects modules from guitar pedals is the ability have voltage control over many of the parameters, either through hands-on manipulation or by utilizing control voltage generators like LFOs, Sample&Hold, Sequencers etc.
You have Pams New Workout in thhis setup, which can provide up to 8 CV sources, but lacks immediate control due to only having one encoder. But even if you use all of Pams outputs, you still have vastly more CV inputs on your three effects modules that you aren't using. I would drop at least one, if not two of the effects modules and add more CV sources, mixers, maybe a filter and, most importantly, VCAs into this system. One knob per function-type modules will make your effects rack very playable. Also think about mixing several modulation sources together before sending them to the CV input of one of the effects. This is almost mandatory if you want to go beyond what you can do with guitar pedals anyway.

Hi, I have a 3U, space left in my table and thought I would use it for a small audio-processing euro-rack, based on the 84HP Behringer Euro-rack Rack.
This would be my first euro-rack build and I would appreciate any comments.
The rack would primary be used for processing electric guitar/bass and harmonica. I have lots of pedals, so I like this to have a "far out/weird" sound of its own.

Hey folks,

does anybody know if Blue Lantern's Mr.Blue delivers a trigger just from the rising part of an incoming gate signal? If there was also a trigger output from the gate-off (like one doepfer) it was useless for me.

Cheers

David

Thread: Enough VCAs

You of course DO realize that, if you made the lower row a set of modulators and voltage sources, what you'd have there is a pretty substantial analog computer.
-- Lugia

I was about to reply to you with this link https://github.com/katef/eurorack-cpu

And then I saw who posted the rack šŸ˜›

Hi all!

This is my first time setting up a modular synthesizer and I would like to ask you for help and advice to see if I am on the right track. The type of music I'm going to make is cinematic music. For that, I'm planning to use the nerdseq to sequence the pizza and the ensemble oscillator as well as some squid salmple samples and then the marbles clone to sequence the remaining squid salmple samples (mostly percussion sounds). The effects are the mimeophon and some guitar pedals that I'm going to use via ALM SBG and that I'm going to pass as sends in the Mix BX.

The rack:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1999858.jpg

My main questions are:
-Do I have enough VCA and modulation sources?
-Do I need more utilities?
-Would you change anything to improve the workflow?
-Does it make sense at all?

Thank you very much in advance!

Iā€˜ll buy it!

traded it for my first ARP 2600

I sold my 2600 to buy a Korg 770 because I needed a lead synth to do bad covers of ELP songs. Should have kept the 2600....

use the small 1u mixers to mix signals from CS-l going into QPAS, and again out of QPAS into mixer

Hi there,

For those, like me, who grew up with such bands, it's always a pleasure to patch the system in that direction. In this video, I explain with details (thank Modulargrid!) a full patch (drums, bass, leads).

I'm selling this Mixer on eBay Kleinanzeigen:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/eurorack-matrix-mixer/2176962340-74-2149

That Joranalogue Receive is incredible sounding, crystal clear and no noise. Same can't be said for the A-119, while not being terrible does have more self-noise and high end roll off.

-- liquidcolor

The original ARP 2600 preamp/envelope follower was also a noisy critter. A lot of this seems to be due to impedance mismatching between the input and the device feeding it, which is also a source of noise with some guitar pedals when they have to deal with a mismatch. You might try some experiments with matching transformers before the A-119 input to see if you can find a "magic number" that brings the noise under control.

It's also worth noting that Roman's Input module (now discontinued) in the Sputnik modules had a switch for helping with impedance matching.

ā€œan aggressive sounding multimode Steiner-Parker filter with a twistā€.

Build
-- Ravenware

I can't imagine how you could get a Synthacon VCF to sound even MORE aggressive than that circuit already was! There were VCF settings on mine (had from 1981 - 1994, traded it for my first ARP 2600) that were so downright vicious, just the slightest HINT of Nyle's nasty VCF's antics would suffice...sort of like how you might only need 1/2 (or LESS!) of a ghost pepper for an entire pot of chili that can serve 20+ people. Scaaaaaaary!

Thread: Kalambient 1

Hi Gumbo23,

Wow, that's beautiful, long time ago that I have seen such patterns :-) The music finishes it very well!

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

this user has left ModularGrid

About the only change I would make here would be to chuck the theremin controller in row #2, shift the whole row over into that space, then use the new 8 hp space at the left end of the row for the A-119 (to the right of the mult, natch). This would put it in better proximity to the voicing so that it's easier to use external audio for part of the voicing as well.

-- Lugia

This is a good idea, however the A-178 can induce noise into susceptible modules so it's up and out of the way. The A-119 is generally being used as an envelope follower while the Joranalogue Recieve is my primary input module. Directly to the right of this modular is the 40 space server rack with my mixer/interface and rack polys. I've found these very slick right angle D-Sub adapters that let me avoid having two D-Sub snakes sticking straight up out of the WMD Performance outputs.

That Joranalogue Receive is incredible sounding, crystal clear and no noise. Same can't be said for the A-119, while not being terrible does have more self-noise and high end roll off.

Thread: Kalambient 1

A new effects unit from Neutral Labs, the Scrat They describe it as ā€œan aggressive sounding multimode Steiner-Parker filter with a twistā€m the twist being that you are able to plug in random electronic components to ports on the front to change resonant capabilities. They include some cards and random components to try.
A generally good build, though the trimming you need to do to get the headers for the plug-ins through the front panel could be challenging.

Sounds great, and lots of modification potential, another good Neutral Lab kit.

Build

I also don't know why this posted twice, or why part of it is highlighted in red...

I did not even know there was a pedal board builder šŸ¤”

That's what I get for not checking drop-down menus.

I did not even know there was a pedal board builder šŸ¤”

That's what I get for not checking drop-down menus.

Weird stuff is... going on 'round here. Like when I zoom in on the Afterneath module, it turns into the silver version! Now that is spooky! I suspect whichever panel was uploaded last becomes the "main" panel.

Why was the head panel for this changed to a modded version? The proper panel is still there but only as an alternate panel, rather than the main one

i love it, but WHY ARE THE JACKS ON THE BOTTOM if this is a performer?
can't access the buttons b/c the cables go right on top of it.
-- samabr

Angled cables help a bunch

Thanks!

Just tried setting up a pedalboard build for my tandem string rig (1952 National Dual-8 lap steel, Suzuki Ran Alto taishogoto) and...uhhhhhhh...

Honestly, it's like the rest of Modulargrid threw up and all that barf wound up in Pedals. There are things in there that really, REALLY don't belong...such as iPads, DJ mixers, entire synths, pedalboards (no, not the ones in the build setup page, but entire empty pedalboards which, of course, you CAN'T put pedals on since MG thinks they are pedals), and so on. As an example, something such as a Vermona DRM-1 isn't a pedal, isn't supposed to be on a pedalboard but OBVIOUSLY should be in a 19" rack. The rack ears are a bit of a giveaway, natch.

And on and on and on. Hell, who knew that a pic of the lion from "Madagascar" was a "really good" wah? For a dollar?

And then there's users who put any ol' image of a pedal on there, not thinking/realizing that the pedalboard builds are supposed to be viewed from the top-down, so angled images of pedals are nice as a reference, but lousy if you're actually trying to determine pedal spacing on a board. Plus...plenty of missing stats, especially prices.

Really, this ought to be cleaned up and corrected. It has the potential to be as important a resource as the modular synth sections, but it's seriously compromised to the point that going through the different manufacturer pages becomes a hideous chore. Stompboxes are 100% useful, and definitely fit into the same scheme of things as modular components, but if the database is as fouled as it is right now, no amount of usefulness of pedals can counterbalance the info-slog that haunts the section. And yeah...some of these things aren't exactly pedals, but they fit, such as the DF Mini Bay. But I double-dawg-dare someone to put a Launchpad on their floor and work it with feet. Not. A. Pedal...nor does it really work with them.

-- samabr

Just turn it upside-down, then. On the module controls, the "circular arrow" rotates the image in the build.

"building better baselines", mylarmelodies

Euclidean pattern generator creates changing baselines through modulation. Euclid 2hp is gate: sends length, steps, offset variables.
Turing machine provides random but loopable modulation source. Connect output/scale to Steps on Euclid 2hp. Modulate offset for half-steps. Bassline is just the scaled output of the Turing machine going into the steps amount, with the steps set to zero so Turing has complete control of steps.
Metropolis is pitch sequence.

Tiptop one sampler being triggered by pulse of Turing, to get a rhythm and bassline.

"building better baselines", mylarmelodies

Euclidean pattern generator creates changing baselines through modulation. Euclid 2hp is gate: sends length, steps, offset variables.
Turing machine provides random but loopable modulation source. Connect output/scale to Steps on Euclid 2hp. Modulate offset for half-steps. Bassline is just the scaled output of the Turing machine going into the steps amount, with the steps set to zero so Turing has complete control of steps.
Metropolis is pitch sequence.

Tiptop one sampler being triggered by pulse of Turing, to get a rhythm and bassline.

Ended up starting with a Pamā€™s, plaits and beadsā€¦ already having a blast. Should be years of fun and experimentation ahead. And I think the mantis was a solid choice. Not massive but room to build something interesting.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful feedback and ideas!

Hi guys - album #3 Hot Wisdom - just out. Produced on modular and MPC.

Bandcamp: https://sokamiru.bandcamp.com/album/hot-wisdom
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3Syoks8
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/gb/album/hot-wisdom/1637163387

Hope you find this fun beats

Ran it through audacity to remove dead space on track. Used Jomox bass and WMD percussion modules with Doepfer and Plaits for the voices.
-- sacguy71

Mister ''I Know Everything'' Doesn't manage to record his tracks in stereo.
-- Next_G

Hey Mr. Next G A$$hole where did I ever say that I knew everything? You never post anything constructive or useful here and are nothing but a filthy troll. Take your crap elsewhere.

Hey Mr Next_G clown hide behind keyboard warrior, why don't you post your tracks and how to solve issues to help folks here instead of being a sniping dickhead? You are a clown and jerk. Oh BTW the audio is stereo from DAW. Maybe get your hearing checked?

Hey MG! Itā€™s been a few years and I was wondering if there are any plans to change the subscription service as it is now. Iā€™d love a way to buy a ā€œlifetimeā€ pass for a reduced rate. I only use the site a few times a year to arrange things or add/delete a module here or there, I end up going a couple years before Iā€™ll re-subscribe.

Best filter i ever had was the Blue Lantern Asteroid, awesome madness and very versatile. Stupidly sold it though. Currently i use the Blue Lantern Hermippe, its quite boring, similar to the Make Noise MMG, but it has the deepest wide ranging bass when resonating. Just got the Schlappi 100 Grit and love its dirty glitch and distortion.

Actually, this is a major symptom of using either the wrong VCA or wrong envelope behavior. When you use linear VCAs and/or linear envelopes, this can happen because our ears aren't linear with respect to "apparent loudness". We hear exponentially as far as volume is concerned, and the Decibel scale reflects that.

The actual fix here isn't a noise gate (sorta-kinda)... --Lugia

Lugia, thanks for the info but in my current patch there is no VCA after the filter, and the noise is present when there is no envelope going at all. And yes a noise gate gets rid of it. As I said, a VCA after the filter could also take care of it, thank you for elaborating on that. I'm aware of the rule of thumb you site in regards to linear vs exponential VCAs, I would just point out that as with any rule, there are exceptions. I use my ears and do whatever works for the current situation. A lot of my VCAs have adjustable response curves, so it's easy to go back and forth between linear and exponential without having to use another VCA.

The Frequensteiner sounds great but is a notoriously noisy filter, that's the only reason I mentioned it.

Very clean and warm sound !

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

Ran it through audacity to remove dead space on track. Used Jomox bass and WMD percussion modules with Doepfer and Plaits for the voices.
-- sacguy71

Mister ''I Know Everything'' Doesn't manage to record his tracks in stereo.

I love the Doepfer SEM and Wasp filters quite amazing and less expensive than a lot other filters. Here is a good demo of the Doepfer SEM filter sweep I used today

And yes it can be a little noisy but a noise gate like the one from Ladik or the one in the FX Aid takes care of that easily. You may also be able to handle that by simply putting it in front of a VCA, depending on how you're using it. But anyway it sounds fantastic.
-- adaris

Actually, this is a major symptom of using either the wrong VCA or wrong envelope behavior. When you use linear VCAs and/or linear envelopes, this can happen because our ears aren't linear with respect to "apparent loudness". We hear exponentially as far as volume is concerned, and the Decibel scale reflects that.

The actual fix here isn't a noise gate (sorta-kinda), it would be one of the following:

• Change the VCA after those filters. This needs to be an exponential VCA, or a "multi-topology" one like the Veils VCAs that's been set to exponential response. Or...

• Keep the linear VCA...but send it an exponential envelope.

Now, the reason I said "sorta-kinda" above is because, when you do this correctly, it actually has some dynamics elements in common with a noise gate. The response of these VCAs when properly set is actually VERY close to the sort of thing going on with a noise gate, inasmuch as the noise will fall nearly to or all the way to inaudibility when there's no generated audio thruput.

Rule of thumb: LINEAR is for DC, low rate modulation signals, and basic audio use upstream from the final output stages. EXPONENTIAL is for any audio rate signal, and NOT DC or low rate modulation. Many exponential VCAs aren't DC-coupled, so if you try and pass DC or a low rate mod signal through one, you'll get either nothing or a very attenuated output signal as far as those signals go. Very useful to keep in mind when trying to keep DC out of your monitoring setup!

I'm definitely a fan of the Bastl Cinnamon, in fact I have 3 of them. I saw the Frequensteiner mentioned above as well, I recently got a hold of one of these and have quickly become a fan, in particular of the bandpass and highpass modes. You do have to be careful where you put it in your rack due it's propensity to pick up signals from other modules, but I've got it in a Doepfer mini case with just a couple other filters so as long as I'm not using them at the same time as the Frequensteiner it's not a problem. And yes it can be a little noisy but a noise gate like the one from Ladik or the one in the FX Aid takes care of that easily. You may also be able to handle that by simply putting it in front of a VCA, depending on how you're using it. But anyway it sounds fantastic.

Thread: Bug Report

I'm still finding the "Command Center" (unicorn account) very frustrating. I have a lot of rack plans, for two different size racks, but the preview sizes of the racks constantly changes, but not uniformly, so the previews of some racks are bigger than others even thought the racks are the same size (same number of rows, same HP). Refreshing the page constantly changes the preview sizes in different ways that I can't understsand. It wasn't like this when I first started using the system - all the previews would appear the same size if the racks were the same size. I thought it was related to the length of the rack names - if they wrapped to two lines - but even if all names fit on a single line I still get this erratic behaviour. It seems very buggy and inconsistent - I'd like to see an overhauled Command Center layout where each rack design fits a designated space, with allowance made for word-wrapping titles that don't affect the placement of the previews and previews that are a consistent size - i.e. all previews in all row fitting the same width, with just the height varying to maintain aspect ratio. This is the sort of thing I do myself when making website layouts with HTML/CSS for image galleries (e.g. real estate listings) [note: this happens in both Chrome and Firefox on my Win 7 Pro machine, latest versions of both browsers]

Maybe look at Cosmix vs that larger SUM2? 28HP vs 16
Starlab is a really cool looking module but not sure its 28HP in a smaller build cool :)
FX Aid Pro is 14HP (vs 28HP)...those two things alone will give you a lot of options in the future.

I have a two 6U Rackbrutes setup and my largest modules are Maths and Morphagene at 20HP and all my drums are external with MPC Live 2 and TR-8S...except for BIA which is in my rack

The only real way to tell if you're going to need more VCA's is to start patching things up and if you find yourself saying "damn, i wish i had another VCA" well...then you know if you need more VCA's :)

JB

Good suggestions as always, thanks. I've definitely thought of moving the Moskwa and Ostankino next to the Erica sequencer. I change modules around every time I take things out of the case, so I don't mind moving stuff around. (And yes, I know, the organization here could definitely be improved.)

I've thought about adding Hrad, too, but alas... right now it seems to be out of stock everywhere in the world.