... and of course Disting can be a ring mod too. It's a shame Disting can't be all the many things it can be at the same time....

Totally agree. Especially since I have a v low income, I couldn't dream of dropping >1000$ on an instrument that I didn't know how to use (my modular is DIY'ed over a span of years). So it does frustrate me when I see people playing music on expensive gear while CLEARLY not knowing the half of what they're doing. The number of times I've seen beginners on expensive synth setups who don't even know about concepts like headroom, noise levels etc is way too high. Music gear is a finite resource, so no matter how much you can afford, it's still not cool to hoard unused gear in ur basement or misuse it.

Thread: Drawbars?

Yes...but it ain't cheap! Analog Outfitters here in Champaign offered a MIDI controller which ALSO had live drawbars that could be given CC assignments. But given that the company is now out of the MIDI controller business, the few of those that were produced are extremely rare these days.

Doepfer also offered a drawbar controller in a few forms for some time, but these are all discontinued now.

Two more things worth mentioning: the Peavey PC1600 MIDI Faderbox, and the Kawai MM16. In both cases, these are fader bank controllers that can be prodded into functioning like MIDI drawbars. The Peavey is better at this (I seem to remember that this is even a preset on the PC1600) than the Kawai, but both can be subjected to some creative MIDI routing to achieve the desired result.

...and there's others, but these are the ones I'm personally familiar with.

Seriously though, my only gripe is using ROMplers as a bad type of synthesizer. I completely disagree - granted the UI for most were far from perfect - they're still very powerful synthesizers that went underused. I know some types of synthesis fairly well, and I own several modular systems, but I'm still taken aback by the vast options in a mere XV2020 that would be deemed obsolete by most people.

Maybe the'll make a resurgence when people figure out how powerful they are?

They need to...as long as they're the sort of ROMplers that do have that programming depth you'd find in the Roland XVs, late-period E-Mu, etc. But when they first hit...ohmyghodwhatuglycrap!!! I actually still have my Proteus1, bought new in early 1990. And I remember it being more annoying to program than a DX-7, not because the interface was so obtuse (which the DX-7 was/is) but because you couldn't get at all of the architecture so that, when a sound popped into your head, you only had a certain percentage of possibility of being able to make the changes to your existing patch to get you there. Frustrating!

But a decade-ish passes, and we get things like the Proteus 2500...same basic idea as the original, but NOW it would be possible to get your hands on nearly all of the sonic capabilities. And that thing is a killer ROMpler...but it (and others) were victimized by those initial "not ready for primetime" ROMplers and the rep those brought. So, no...it's not all ROMplers that are bad, but you have to know which are the GOOD ones. Definitely not an easy category of synth to navigate, although the hardware is quite plentiful.

Thread: Drawbars?

Has anybody done anything with Hammond organ style drawbars? I'm not actually looking for an organ sound, I was just thinking drawbars in a module or integrated into a case would make for an interesting cv/gate source. Hell, maybe a volume fader or a filter controlled by drawbars for something Hammond organ like? Slightly off topic, does anybody know of any cases with effects built in?

Rookie. Learning Guitar. Will one day build a rack.

While there is wisdom in a lot of this, it's wisdom that is not unique to modular synthesis. There are more acoustic guitars collecting dust in closets than synths. Years ago, I worked in the MI business for a decade, and people constantly bought the wrong tool for what they were trying to achieve, so I get the point of this message. Here's the thing though, if you want to sound like Sonic Youth, Darkthrone, or My Bloody Valentine, you probably don't want to buy an acoustic guitar to learn on. Bang around on an electric, waste a lot of money on pedals and amps, and figure it out. You're not going to achieve that sound and workflow with a Martin D28. Similarly, if you want to make music like the YouTube generative coffee-mug-and-window-overlooking-a-peaceful-garden crowd, an MS20 isn't going to do that. Is that really the right instrument to start with, then? Man, I don't know.
People make amazing music by using instruments in the "wrong" way all the time. Just because you don't know what Boolean logic, half wave rectification, Euclidean rhythms, or even a VCA are right now, doesn't mean you shouldn't start the modular journey (you're going to have to learn about VCAs reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllll quick, though). There is really no "right" way to use an instrument unless you are some purist gatekeeper. I worked around purists for years and they always sucked the joy right out of making music. They would scoff if you didn't pledge allegiance to some bulls**t Tubescreamer circuit from 1982 or didn't take the same musical journey they did. Ugh...
What is a way of life for some is just a hobby for others, and that's ok. I say the more, the merrier. There are enough good YouTube tutorials out there nowadays for people to make an informed decision about the kind of instrument they want to try out and learn (and maybe fail). I'd rather empower people to give synthesis a try than suggest they are only attracted to the pretty lights and graphics. Sure, aesthetics make a difference for some (there are glittery finish guitars and drums for a reason), but aspiring musicians deserve more credit than just being bandwagon-hopping squirrels. Most people are savvy enough to understand that you don't become Eddie Van Halen, Aphex Twin, Neil Peart, or Brian Eno overnight just because you bought an instrument.
Yes, in the modular world mistakes are very expensive. Also, mistakes lead to new avenues of thought and creativity. Synthesis can be frustrating, but so can learning and becoming proficient in violin, drums, melodica, djembe, or 8-string guitar. There are growing pains with every instrument and technology.
Maybe you don't NEED a modular synth. Maybe you just WANT a modular synth. That's fine. I hope you dedicate some time to it, have fun, and make some cool music with it.

I finally have something to play with; this is my current setup (+ an Arturia Keystep).

Still no LFO and no VCF, I'll get them in a couple of weeks (no rush; meanwhile I'll familiarize with available modules).

Thank you for the feedback :)

alt text

Anyone who namedrops the Shaggs is automatically correct and wins all arguments.
Seriously though, my only gripe is using ROMplers as a bad type of synthesizer. I completely disagree - granted the UI for most were far from perfect - they're still very powerful synthesizers that went underused. I know some types of synthesis fairly well, and I own several modular systems, but I'm still taken aback by the vast options in a mere XV2020 that would be deemed obsolete by most people.

Maybe the'll make a resurgence when people figure out how powerful they are?

I digress. Fair points all in all, and more true nowadays. Lots of shiny modules to go around in the second hand market ... and more photos of cases with the same 'ol modules again and again.

Yeah, but ring mods are easy. If you can squeeze another 2 hp in, Circuit Abbey's Twiggy gives you two of 'em. You don't really need any controls on it, so that's something that makes sense as a teensy module.
-- Lugia

To make 2hp of space I'd have to lose my attenuverters, and despite my love of weird clangy noises, I think they are more useful than a ring mod!

Definitely leaning towards the 3xMIA. I guess I'll just hang out on eBay and see what turns up!

Hey there,
I've finally started my first eurorack case. To be honest I made the most common mistake and spend all my money for everything that sounded good for me without thinking enough about it. Which is somehow ok for me because I will make more and more cases in the far future so in the end I will hopefully be happy about everything I have now.

I now have just a little bit of space left and actually I also have to keep an eye on my power consumption but I'm already thinking about the next 3U Row so I'm open for every recommendation that brings out the most of the modules I've got so far.

I'm mostly interested in that atmospheric generative type of music and also like glitchy stuff.

And I'm missing some controlled randomness, would you think the Doepfer A-149-1 would be a good option?

I'm using an external mixer and also some effects.

Sorry for the long text but thank you very much in advance already!
Stay safe :)

My Rack:
ModularGrid Rack

Metronomic form? A metronome is just a loudly-ticking clock with a variable speed. The problem isn't that at all...the problem here arises from using one timing device that has ONE internal standard (the metronome) vs. one which has a totally DIFFERENT one (Tempi, Pam's et al). Each device will think it's "right". Until/unless you opt for a single source as THE clock, and everything else has to use IT as a timing standard, this problem will reoccur.

Here's what's going on here, in a more traditional view...you have an orchestra with two conductors. They both know the score they're conducting in exactly the same way, but one of them is deriving the tempo from a clicktrack via headphones, and the other is relying on his internal timing senses, and the poor bastards in the orchestra aren't given any indication of which one is right. Different method, same mess.

you’re 100% correct regarding the clock.

just gonna use Pamela’s New workout whose clock seems truer to metronomic form. I’ve also been clocking from an Elektron drum machine to a mutant brain module via midi cable- that’s a pain in the ass!

Thanks for the replies!

OK...so the metronome itself ISN'T part of the patch, correct? If so, have you considered that one (or both) of these devices might be a bit out of calibration? That sort of drift would tend to indicate that the clock for the Tempi AND the metronome are all behaving properly, they just don't have the same exact timing reference, so that when each says "120 BPM", the metronome might well BE exactly on 120, but the Tempi could have a TEENSY miscalibration so that when it shows 120, it's really outputting something like 119.89923 BPM. Electronic metronomes tend to use a quartz reference oscillator, while the Tempi uses a software-based clocking algorithm, and just like its been since the dawn of timing signals in synths, if you have two clocks that AREN'T locked to the same timing reference, this tends to be what happens.

Description: Two square waves are sent from Peaks into 2 WMD/SSF MMF Filters (with 2 other LFO's/OSC's from a second Peaks going into the Filter FM Inputs), whose cutoff points are modulated by channels 3 and 4 of Quadrax. The volume of these two audio signals (panned left and right) is modulated at Quad VCA's Channel 1 and 2 CV Inputs by channels 1 and 2 of Quadrax. All 4 of these envelopes are related via CV/Link Modes, where just one trigger from Quadra ENV1 creates a world of interplay, with techno elements, especially past half way through.

Colour Scheme:
Black - Quadra (ENV1)
Red - Quadrax Channel Outs
Green - WMD/SSF MMF Lowpass Outputs
Blue - 1st Peaks Outputs
Orange - 2nd Peaks Outputs
Yellow - (Stackcables) FX Send/Return w/ Euro DDL

Quadrax Settings:
OUT1 - Receives trigger from Quadra ENV1. CV Assignment: None, Mode: AHD
OUT2 - CV Assignment: EOF (End-of-Fall), Mode: AD
OUT3 - CV Assignment: EOR (End-of-Rise), Mode: CYCLE
OUT4 - CV Assignment: EOF (End-of-Fall), Mode: AD

Quadrax Channel Destinations (after Mordax):
OUT1 - Quad VCA Channel 1 CV Input (Amp. Envelope for 1st Square Wave)
OUT2 - Quad VCA Channel 2 CV Input (Amp. Envelope for 2nd Square Wave)
OUT3 - 1st WMD/SSF MMF Cutoff (1v/oct CV Input) (Filter Envelope for 1st Square Wave)
OUT4 - 2nd WMD/SSF MMF Cutoff (1v/oct CV Input) (Filter Envelope for 2nd Square Wave)

Mordax DATA Settings:
Oscilloscope, All Channels 5.0V, Time: 500ms, Trig: Auto
CH. 1 - Pos: 8.80V
CH. 2 - Pos: 0.00V
CH. 3 - Pos: -10.40V
CH. 4 - Pos: -24.20V

Mordax shows:
CH. 1 - Quadrax OUT1, controls Quad VCA CH. 1 level (1st Square Wave) via CV w/ attenuator
CH. 2 - Quadrax OUT2, controls Quad VCA CH. 2 level (2nd Square Wave) via CV w/ attenuator
CH. 3 - Quadrax OUT3, controls 1st WMD/SSF MMF Cutoff (1v/oct CV Input)
CH. 4 - Quadrax OUT4, controls 2nd WMD/SSF MMF Cutoff (1v/oct CV Input)

Playing Instructions:
1. Introduce sound by turning up CV pots on Quad VCA one channel at a time
2. Introduce more sound by turning Level pots on Quad VCA one channel at a time
3. Add Resonance at MMF, one at a time
4. Slow 2nd Peaks CH. 1 to LFO-rate, then turn up FM Level on 1st MMF a bit
5. Slow 2nd Peaks CH. 2 to LFO-rate, then turn up FM Level on 2nd MMF a bit
6. From here adjust the following parameters to taste:
- Filter Resonances
- Filter FM Levels
- 2nd Peaks LFO Rates and Waveforms
- Quadrax parameters (the lower the Channel number being changed, the more overall effect on the patch, as they are chained
1->2->3->4)
- Speed of Quadra envelope (maintain low Rise time so it stays a trigger, but adjust Fall time)
7. Eventually, introduce Eventide Euro DDL, turn Send Level pot to noon, then turn up CH. 1 Send 1 and then CH. 2 Send 2 on Hexpander
8. Euro DDL parameters to adjust to taste:
- Filter cutoff point
- Dry/Wet
- Tap Tempo
- Drive (careful of level spikes)
@ peak tension, use these:
- Multiply (ease off on the D/W just as you press the button, then reintroduce Wet signal)
- Loop (especially when reaching peak activity)

Octavian

just oscillator->monsoon (clones)->with the tempi triggering the monsoon. Independently had a metronome going that didn’t line up with the clock the tempi was generating.

what is the deal?

Can you explain the patch itself? I'm suspecting you're sending the wrong sort of signal as a clock here, since you're saying "metronome".

Yeah, but ring mods are easy. If you can squeeze another 2 hp in, Circuit Abbey's Twiggy gives you two of 'em. You don't really need any controls on it, so that's something that makes sense as a teensy module.

hello,

every time I try to play my tempi in time to a metronome the tempi loses time relative to the metronome. can someone tell me what I can do to correct this?

thank you

Frap Tools 321 is a treat for mixing, shifting and attenuverting.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321-
-- bhenry1790

My take on it would be to look at a Happy Nerding 3x VCA, actually. This would give you the CV mixing, attenuverting, AND three linear, DC-coupled VCAs to have CV over your modulation, etc levels. Drops right into that 6 hp hole, too. And if needed, you can split out one or all of the VCAs. The Frap 321 is also a good drop-in choice...it all depends on how you want to do your CV/mod mixing and control and how much control you want vs. what you want the synth to have control over.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the pointers guys -- these are nice alternatives I hadn't considered. With this setup I don't really feel that lack of VCAs -- all the voices have their own amplitude envelope -- so the main use would for modulating some other CV signal. This is intended to be a very hands on, playable system, and in particular I want to be able to switch from the DFAM being the main drums to the BIA being the main drums and back without stopping the music and ideally without repatching anything. For this a lot of manual control is needed.

So the Frap 321 is closer to what I am looking for. However when looking at the Happy Nerding 3xVCA I also discovered their 3xMIA which is even better! It seems to do everything the 321 does, with more inputs, more usable output options, and (major plus) all the jacks are at bottom of the module.

Versus the Befaco, the main advantage of 3xMIA seems to be more channels (also : cheaper); the disadvantage is that it can't be a ring modulator.

Any other thoughts?

I wouldn't put anything in the whole - I'd get the next case first - so there are no constraints on hp

Haha well, quite. But for various reason that next case won't be coming along any time soon. (Although I already am thinking about putting the Tetrapad into one of those little 4ms skiffs, along with its expander and a "proper" trigger sequencer.)

But, if I wanted CV mixing in a case this size I'd be tempted to replace the doepfer LPG with a MengQi DPLG and a DC coupled quad cascading vca (so you have a voltage controlled CV Mixer)

I wouldn't trade the Doepfer LPG for the MengQi one, although that is a cool little module. The Doepfer is also a very fun and controllable filter which I use often. However I think if/when I expand the setup this quad VCA idea sounds quite promising.

Thread: AE Modular?

That's actually something Robert and I discussed quite some time ago. He was planning to explore whether a typical single-crossing comparator would be the way to go, or if it would be doable to implement a window comparator which gives two crossing points. I'm advocating for the latter, natch, not merely because...well, more = better...but because having two crossing points ALSO allows something to track rise/fall times, which then gives slope data that can be screwed with creatively. Note that I'm thinking WAAAY ahead of the present with this, also.

@Lugia, do you know if AE is going to make a comparator module?

My take on it would be to look at a Happy Nerding 3x VCA, actually. This would give you the CV mixing, attenuverting, AND three linear, DC-coupled VCAs to have CV over your modulation, etc levels. Drops right into that 6 hp hole, too. And if needed, you can split out one or all of the VCAs. The Frap 321 is also a good drop-in choice...it all depends on how you want to do your CV/mod mixing and control and how much control you want vs. what you want the synth to have control over.

Aaargh...foiled yet again by the Markup Pixies and HTML Juju! I knew I should've gotten that Linux-powered Mojo Hand I saw in that weird herb shop and computer emporium years ago. Is there any way to drop the image into the post above that works without the AE Forum login?

this user has left ModularGrid

Frap Tools 321 is a treat for mixing, shifting and attenuverting.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321-

Bit of an update. Let's see if the forum likes it...hmmmm....linking from outside oughta work liiiiiike...
alt text
Did it work? > -- Lugia

No. Syntax error for the link, moreover link doesn't work if you are not signed in to the AE forum.

I wouldn't put anything in the whole - I'd get the next case first - so there are no constraints on hp

But, if I wanted CV mixing in a case this size I'd be tempted to replace the doepfer LPG with a MengQi DPLG and a DC coupled quad cascading vca (so you have a voltage controlled CV Mixer)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'm sooo happy that I went with AE Modular. Gargantua is an inspiration to us all. I'm hoping to build seven oscillator system myself, something along the lines of a dotcom 44 or something, but with far more sequencing power and time modulation. You get so much for your money with AE.

ModularGrid Rack

I have 6hp remaining in my rack before I have to quit acquiring modular gear (jk!). I'm looking for suggestions for that last space.

The rack is mostly used for the creation of aggressive techno sounds. Some things which cannot be seen in the rack:

• Sitting next to this rack is a Moog DFAM which provides some extra voices, envelopes, and the sequencers.
  • All the sound sources go straight into my mixing desk, so no need for audio mixers in the rack.
  • I have outboard for effects.

The combination of Pamela's New Workout, the switches, and the DFAM actually provide just about enough sequencing power, although you can never have enough switches! Pam can provide LFOs and Disting triggered envelopes. On the rare occasion I need a VCA I use the A-101-2.

So with this in mind I'm thinking some CV mixing might be the most useful thing to add, so I'm looking at the Befaco a*b+c, which seems to the most interesting thing in this class. (Other similar possibilities : 2 x Malekko Mix 4; Bastl abc)

What would you put in this hole?

Bit of an update. Let's see if the forum likes it...hmmmm....linking from outside oughta work liiiiiike...
alt text
Did it work? Why, yes it did, although the resolution still looks totally hammered. But that's my cheapo tablet cam doing what it does; I'd have gone out for batteries for the REAL camera, but...well, Covid-19 and all that...

THAT...is Gargantua, the largest (to date) Tangible Waves AE Modular factory build, on its stand that I cobbled up from various OnStage and Middle Atlantic bits, attached via a touch of Velcro and bespoke storm window clip-based lockdowns. And in the foreground, you can also see a Folktek Mescaline, rarebeasts Wicks Looper Acid, and my ancient but still stonkin' Mackie 1202, which handles submixing duties for the modular/patchables. And a can of DeOxit, of course. Must have DeOxit. Just behind the bottom cab, you can barely see a Tektronix PS282, which powers it and all of the other 9VDC devices (5A LINEAR supply, baybee!) in this area of the "modular sandbox" in the studio. Plenty of current left, too, as the entire AE only draws about 1.6A.

A 28 VCO rig has never been quite so TINY! But don't let the size fool you...this thing's got two Synthacon VCF replicas (two of eight VCFs, including the LPGs) in it that'll tear your head clean off in "wild" mode! Three 16-steppers, more trigger sequencing, THIRTY VCAs, dual springs, and on and on and on...and everything that you see that's empty now is already specced and ordered and will get filled when those modules are finally available.

So...uh, yeah. Some might note that I've been making a lot of noise about cost-effectiveness as of late. This is why. Hang on, because this next part's gonna HURT...BAD...

The answer to the inevitable question is "approximately $3900". Why, you could buy a whole 2/3rds of a Sound Easel for about that! Or populate an average 2 x 104hp Eurorack cab, but it won't pay for the cab you're populating.

Now...everyone building those Pr0nRacks, please note: this is as UNsexy as it gets! But the truth is that you don't, ever, never ever buy gear for its LOOKS, ultimately, when the real importance is instrumental capability. I did attempt an A-B comparison, pricewise, between this (Tangible Waves has its own "grid") and a Eurorack close-as replication while working this build out. The horrifying truth is that, no matter what I tried, the Eurorack variant would NEVER go below $19k, unless I severely crippled the module complement and made the Euro LESS capable than the AE. And yes, before you ask, that IS using Euro modules in the bargain-basement price range like Uli's. It was also HUGE; this thing's panel space is about 36" x 20"...think something like a 2 inch thick 12U Doepfer LMC cab flipped on its end...but in Euro, I kept running into sizes in the 5 or 6 tier range and the results came out to be really, REALLY unwieldy in my studio. But with this, I can unlink the top and bottom pairs, fold those pairs, and walk out of the studio with each half of Gargantua under each arm!

Soooo... how does it sound, you ask? Yeah, it's all that. When your rig is sporting what's basically six very extended versions in "primitives" of Buchla 258s in it, how else would it sound? The filters are beefy, sometimes really aggressive even. Everything else is nice and smooth...no weirdnesses that you wouldn't expect. Buyers remorse = exactly ZERO.

I do really like Bloom, but some people have experienced issues so take a look at forums before making the leap. There is a huge selection of sequencers so a different one may be a better fit for you.

The consensus to everybody getting into modular is that you should expect your system to be a lot bigger than you originally intended. Get a bigger case than you think you need. Start with just a few modules... Learn them... THEN you'll know what could be added to make the music/noise you want. Plan to add a module or two a month. Good luck.

Check out Ricky Tines on YouTube. He's got some very inspiring Palette systems.

I like noodling with these small systems so I came up with another one that would be fun for me:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1162074.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. So I'm gonna rethink this setup and just GAS a bit over modules.

PS Bloom looks like an amazing fun module thanks for that!

ER-301 and Steppy 1U would be ace!
-- HiddenPath

Thank you, these are both already on the list of requests.

Thanks!

Bastl noise square and bastl skis

asynchronicity happens

I agree with Lugia, but something like this would be fun.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1161392.jpg

Don't do this. You're talking about a build that's coming in at around $3k with the Palette, where if the objective is a drum machine and bass synth, you can get new, prebuilt stuff from several different firms for a fraction of this. And if the functionality seems limited, just go out and buy more drum machines/bass synths...don't worry, you won't be getting CLOSE to that $3k unless you either go premium-grade or acquire a truckload of those devices.

Seriously. I'm looking at a Reverb listing right now for a minty-looking ORIGINAL Roland TR-909 that's priced at about the same amount as this build would cost. Nothing above will sound remotely close. Or...there's an Elka Drummer One for $2300. That's the original Kraftwerk machine, the one that was discombobulated by them to make up Wolfgang Flur's drumkit after it was used as-is for their second album and "Ralf und Florian". Again, nothing above blahblah...

And for the second time this afternoon, I find myself writing these words: modular is NOT a panacea. It makes sense in some situations, but trying to 1:1 replace existing devices for their basic functions with modular gear is either a fool's errand or one weird-as-hell flex.

Not especially, no. It really doesn't make sense to "gap out" 8 hp, either, given that that's a very common module size and 8 hp of those = more functionality while 8 hp of nothing = pointless expense and a waste of cab space. The other thing that makes no sense is that this will cost over $4k once the Make Noise case is factored in, when you could just get something like a MatrixBrute for half that, and it'll accomplish the same end result with far less hassle. Plus...more VCOs; you DO realize that this build has the exact same VCO complement as a Roland SH-101, right? And that those...even in the constantly-overheated "vintage" market...routinely come in at less than 1/4th of that $4k pricetag?

Like I've said many, MANY times...modular synths are cool and all, but they're not a panacea. And this is a very good example of why they're not.

Enjoyed both, especially the Soundcloud one :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

The melody is based on this patch, by the way:

I made the patch for this track all that time ago but enjoyed it in all its simplicity so I did a bunch of improvisations that day and my partner recorded one of those improvisations that turned into our most popular video to this date.

Thank you very much, Warren!
First of all for your suport on Gamardah Fungus. I saw your order on a Bandcamp and will send your cd tomorrow!
As for my solo album, I'm working on it almost every day now. Hope to find a nice home (label) when I finish it.
Cheers!

Hi Guys, does this make sense? I want a highly performable Voice.
Thanks

ModularGrid Rack

I'm completely new to eurorack and I'd like to build a drummachine + bassline that I can uses in tandem with my analog synth.
For the case I decided to stick to a smaller format for now and I kinda like the idea of the Intellijel 4u Palette case.

Is the Frames module here overkill? Should I replace it with different modules like mixers/effects?

New track! Been working on this one for six months so it's just as contrived and labored as you'd expect. BUT, it's also rather messy and unglued.

Main sound sources are Make Noise DPO (bass), Mutable Instruments Plaits (all of the "random" sounds), Korg Electribe 2 (drums) and Instruō Cš-L controlled by the Arturia MicroFreak (melody).

ER-301 and Steppy 1U would be ace!

I would love a combo rack feature. I have an 6U 104 HP case and a 9U 84HP case. I would love to look at them both together and configure.

If I was trying to do what you want to do, I would probably approach this rack with a lot more modulation sources and VCAs. If you already have a lot of guitar pedals/external effects, you could save money by picking up a decent external interface module like the Bastl Hendrikson or XAOC Sewastopol II, and using your pedals instead of modular effects (but that's not quite as fun). Obviously, we all approach things differently, and you will probably get a bunch of different recommendations than what I quickly came up with based on your example racks and description. As for me... If money was no object and I was going for a chord capable IDM-ish type rack with some random sequencing, glitchiness, sample manipulation, effects, and a bit of analog monosynth flavor, I would probably go in a direction like this. I'm sure I left out something glaringly obvious, but you know what you like and want better than I do.
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Farkas for your reply.

I realized Ive had most of the racks ive had up here for years on private. So here are a few of the racks ive designed over the years... I havent touched them in a long time, but at the time I was doing a bunch of research through all you guys and through the many racks designed up on here as well as youtube vids...

Clearly I have not made any of these yet, nor have I gone down the road of starting them basically all in the design phase. Which is entirely why i posed these questions and this thread here. I would still love some more help. I am going to investigate some more about those specific modules you have listed. I know I have included the LoFi module in most of the builds I came up with, having had the guitar pedal for years and years and years now, it has always been a favourite end of chain situation to add that grimy sort of warbley VHS sound that I am chasing overall with everything im talking about. So here are three of the racks that I sort of refined (all still online clearly, I have no idea how these would work IRL) so maybe whomever feels like helping here could give me some ideas about any of these... slash, basically like ive been saying here: I would love to get my feet wet by creating the smallest practical setup for me to get sounds like Im looking for, for the cheapest. Obviously I am going to be making compromises right off the top in order to get there, but I don't think its possible to get everything I would be looking for out of custom building a synth like this without a long time of buying and selling modules. But thats why I am here asking you seasoned guys these questions in general, because I need your help and need to understand the practicality of each module I would be choosing to start building a small rig...

Smaller than all of the rigs I am posting here that I have designed obviously by the way, these are all seemingly big expensive setups that I wouldn't be able to do for a long time, nor do I have any idea if they would be actually practical all together the way i have digitally put them together.

So yeah, continued interest in my cause and this thread would be appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack