Hi! Looking for advice on building a machine that will let me learn and explore Eurorack.
This is my first build. What am I looking for? I have the usual beginner problem of not being exactly sure, but here are some areas of interest: exploration of melodies, harmonies, rhythms, soundscapes. weirdness and happy accidents. Harmony and coming in and out of it, playing with chaos and order (randomness?). Slow and evolving, fast and dirty. Another area is processing instruments and voice through the synth. Sampling, sequencing. Influences? I love sound and music. To name a small few, Bach, Tunng, Tom Waits, West African music, hip hop, techno, Roar by Katie Perry (bellowed from the top of our lungs by my daughter and I on our morning drive to school). Did I narrow things down nicely?? Why am I spewing all this nonsense!?? I just need some advice on some modules..

The top row is my current set up. I realized that I don't have many sources of modulation but I only have 2HP left. I also only have one oscillator, no FX, no internal sequencer (I do have a keystep). The second row is theoretical and that is where I was hoping to get suggestions and feedback. I removed the Behringer dual envelope generator and replaced with Maths. I also removed the bulky behringer mixer and replaced with the Doepfer which is Stereo.

I'm not using an output module so I use the Behringer VCA's fixed control voltage dial to attenuvert the signal then output to my audio interface. I think that is what I am doing! If I remove this module do I lose the ability to do that, or will the Doepfer mixer suffice? If the Doepfer will do, what other functionality am I losing by removing the VCA?

I have so far enjoyed the sounds I get out of Behringer's VCO and VCF. But the VCO is 14H, which feels large in my small rack. Would you suggest replacing with say 2 Befaco Pony VCOs (4HP each) or 2 ALM MCOs (6HP each)? 1 of each? This would also save 2HP or 4HP or 6HP depending on the combo there.

Any sugestions and ideas welcome.

Thanks
HH