Thread: 1st Rack

would love to hear feedback on this desired lay out. I'm new to all of this and I am going off of some racks that others have suggested. Looking for something that can drone & create rich textures.

OK, so I just want 16 more modules in 2014!  That should be doable!

A couple of thoughts-- how about having a passive Frac Tier - one with a bunch of mult/attens on it!  DIY Ring Mods/Passive modules?  Other?  Another thought - I'm seriously thinking about getting the New FD, 2x DAD's, the Filthy Filter, and 2x of the New Mult/Attens, for my next Blacet Order.  Those modules can fit in the 2x Tier Setup I have going, right now, and can be powered by the single Blacet PSU!  Nice!  Total cost is about $600 (with Shipping).  Also, I'll be getting the last of the Blacet Filters that I need, to complete my collection of Blacet Filters!  The 2x DAD's will come in very handy for modulating Blacet and Wiard modules!  Also, the New FD is awesome, and I can compare that module to the old FD!  The 2x Mult/Attens are cheap, and they are slightly "better" than the ones I have, currently residing in the modular (the old design--with only the one row for mult/atten).  I still want to add the 10 Blacet Bar Graphs, all in one Frac Rack, with a PSU in the Rear!  Nice!  For the 2nd order of 2014?  I'm thinking possibly the New Quad VCA, New FX, and maybe another module or two.  Order 3-- probably 3x VCO's!  Order 4 - the other modules - Mixer/Splitter/Buffer, 2x Dual Linear VCA's, LFO, and the MIDIverter.  Order 5 - probably the Double Stacker powered tier thing and a bunch of cables!

On December 30, 2013, I added a couple of Frac Tiers to the setup!  Finally, all of my modules are powered up!  One Frac tier has the JS #3, 2U Blank, 2x Mult/Attens, KW #2, and TM #2!  The other tier does not house any modules, but I'm finally ready for modular expansion of the Frac Setup!  Next steps--Build several DIY modules, including the KLEE x2, MPS x4, and start the plan of ordering one or two Blacet modules, per month (probably going to start in February 2014--for adding the Blacet modules)!

The Time Machine eats up alot of current, so I'll have to power it from the rear-mounted, Blacet PSU!  That PSU could probably power the KLEE and other modules that I might mount near the KLEE (I have 3x MOTM spaces).  One problem is location of the MOTM tier!  The above setup calls for the 3rd Blacet tier to house the TM!  So, it's going to be quite a stretch to reach a power feed up to the MOTM tier (above the top tier of the above Blacet rig)!  This is a serious issue!  I guess I'll need to investigate how to power everything, another time!  One solution would be to power the top tier from a rear mounted PSU, supplying power to the KLEE sequencer, mounted above the top tier!  Then the lower two tiers fit in the Blacet Frac, Double Stacker Power Supply Rack!  That might work!

Basically, in 2014, I'm trying to add the 11 modules I don't yet have--the VCO (3), Filthy Filter, New FX, New Quad VCA, New Frequency Divider, DAD (2), Dual Linear VCA (2), New Mult/Atten (2), Splitter/Buffer/Mixer, MIDIverter, and the Micro LFO!  I'm adding 3x of the VCO's and doubling up on the following modules--DAD, Dual Linear VCA, and the New Mult/Atten.  All those modules come together to form a pretty serious synth voice, similar to the Minimoog.  My goals for this setup, in 3x tiers--to have a serious synth voice, in one location in the modular (3 tiers), to collect all the Blacet modules, to double up on strategic modules, and to bring balance to The Force!  This is quite a journey--to build a modular synthesizer!  A major goal is to collect all the Blacet modules, without going crazy (buying way more modules than I really need--like 10 Bargraphs, or 8 VCO's, or 4 Binary Zones . . . you get the picture!  So, I guess, I need to limit my module selection, because of finances!  My overall plan is to roughly purchase one or two modules a month, until I arrive at the above setup!  That is a really good goal, for 2014!  I'm going to need to buy the Blacet Double Stacker rack with PSU, to make this a reality!  I already have 2x extra Frac Racks and a spare Blacet PSU!

Thank you for your answer,Togodumnus, I would listen to your good advice, especially as I have the modules which you quote.

Good music, Philippe

A BPM Clock module such as ALM Pamela's Workout or ProModular Cloq can be used to keep all your sequencers in sync.

You may also benefit from a syncable LFO (i.e. A-145 or A-147) instead of the A-146 module (which is NOT syncable); this will allow you to (e.g.) reset filter sweeps at the beginning of each bar.

I would also invest in a clock divider and a clock sequencer (i.e. A-160 & A-161), both of which my be used to generate timing/sync events.

I would like to make autonomous it modular, to synchronizer both sequencers, but I do not know how can it be done?

Who would have a simple idea?

Thank you in advance

Thread: Bungler

I also selected a variety of manufacturers in order to evaluate their products for future consideration.

Thread: Bungler

A great use for my old CD racks!

Designed for primarily sound processing I did include 1 VCO module for completeness.  This is heavy on the LFO/control modulations.  I'm also interested in feedback loops.

Just added the Fonitronik MH11 ADC Sequencer - Absolutely BRILL piece of kit !

Now I can make atmospheric drones (a la Eowave Titan modules) AND super-funky sequenced rhythms (with all the rest) !

Thread: Trade

My Performance system. In real life the case is bright orange.

Thread: Buchla

077 Eardrill Pendulum/Ratchet

247v Sequential Voltage Source

262v Verbos Harmonic Oscillator

230r Triple Envelope Follower

292r Quad Voltage-Controlled Lowpass Gate

Hi Fitz!

I think a lot of people here on MGN would be glad to offer thier opinions and advice, however, any advice would be premature without knowing the intended purpose of your modular system;

Will it be used as part of an existing home/studio setup ?

Will it be primarily monophonic / duophonic / polyphonic ?

What type of external controllers will you use ? (MIDI Keyboard, USB link to a Computer, CV+Gate Sequencer, Ribbon Controller. etc.)

Will it comprise classic synth modules (VCO - VCF - VCA, ADSR, etc.) or more experimental / combination modules, or a mix of both ?

The more info you give the MGN community the more it can collectively help you.

So I am interested in building a euro rack, but don't really know where to start.  Any advice for a beginner would be appreciated.

I'm just getting started with the whole modular thing.  I've been using this little system along side an MFB Tanzbär and an Arturia Microbrute.  I just moved out of a cozy little Pittsburgh Modular Cell [48] into the Doepfer case.  From Claustrophobia to Agorophobia.  I'm a little overwhelmed by the possibilities of what to purchase next.  I'm kind of thinking about a Pittsburgh Oscillator, a Manhattan analog mix, and a Manhattan 4x4x4.  Basic stuff.  Later, I want a ridiculous sequencer like a Z8000 or a René.

I'm desperate to know what strangers on the internet think about my setup, and hope they will guide me in some way.

Current configuration of our demosystem that can be checked and repatched in our store in munich! Blind plates will be changed next week for incoming Intellijel modules and we really hope that the furthrrr coming soon....!!!

Hey, I know I've seen your rack before!  Ha.  Check mine out...  ModularGrid Rack

Nice to see another obessive Frac Rak user!  btw, I updated quite a few Blacet, PAiA and some DIY images.  Feel free to get in touch and visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frac-Rak-Users/221539761320648 ; All my best, Sean / dJ dAb

Three more to go!...

Circuit Abbey Invy 

Intellijel uVCF

Doepfer A-171-2 Serge VC Slew

first draft with my modular, without CVpal and turing machine.

Thread: Buchla 200

This "mega easel" system is comprised of three original buchla boats.  Don Buchla was commissioned by composer, Jon Scoville, to build this system in the mid 1970s.  I aquired this from the original owner around 1989.  

Anushri will not be eurorack, but this will simplify planning.

swapped out shapeshifter for a Braids. super happy! instantaneous awesome.

Just finished a module trade with fellow wiggler. Swapped out my "haven't touched it in a while" Optomix for a MFB Drum 04! 

addes SCMBO, LP1Lightplane, Short Bus v2 ! absolutely loving it! 

Recently: switched out the Rubicon for a Piston Honda MKII. 

and added a 4ms SCM.

ReArranged whole case as is seen in this grid update.

added Quad Clock Distributor and Optomix recenty. case is developing nicely.

shapeshifter has arrived!  1st 6u system is complete!!!! 

now to dig in deep! thanks for the inspiration everyone. 

Yo Sunfalls! You need to shift each module in your rack 1HU to the left - you appear to have "gone off the rails."

first 6u of mobileControl 12u case just about done.

picking up korgasmatron II today, and still waiting on Shapeshifter to arrive.

shapeshifter on its way. picked up a PEG. really getting excited for this journey

picked up and slightly filled up the monorocket mx104 today. thus far. the wiggling is sweet. 

still mucking about in the planner. i already have the kilpatrick k4815+kmidi, maths, uzeus.

planning on getting a monorocket mx104, so i can expand over time.

Currently planning this mobile unit. I want flexible sequencing of vco's and the ability to send cv/note to Ableton Live 9. 

Thread: Progress

Without an A-154 Enhanced Sequencer Controller you may want to throw in a couple of switches, the Doepfer A-150 and/or A-151, for example.

And while you're about it, slap in a Doepfer A-160 Clock Divider and an A-161 Clock Sequencer (all four modules only 16U).

Also, if you're looking for the epitome of non-randomness, a logic module (or two) like the inexpensive Doepfer A-166 or the Intellijel PLog or Spock modules, possibly also a pattern generator like the Pittsburgh Timetable or Mutable Grids 'Topographic Drum Sequencer' or just about any other Euclidean sequencer for that matter, particularly the RebelTech Stoicheia and Klasmata, and talking about sequencers, you could probably make good use of a MakeNoise Rene cartesian sequencer, and you could do with a Mutable Anushri voice module ... Er. ... and you'll probably gonna want another 9U frame. ...

Thread: Progress

Hey peeps, in your opinion, what is missing here?

This is my actual system and I'm looking for adding some non randomized complexity. I want monophony, but not necessarily one voice.

Thank you!!

Thread: nice rack

this rack is very gay

Just installed the Eowave modules and they're absolument magnifique!

The Zone B.F. dual LFO is quite cool but would benefit from CV control of wave-shape.

The twin Titan VCOs sound brill when driven with separate pitch-VCs from my Dark-Time sequencer.

The Magnetosphere filter's CV inputs make for some magnificent yowling and screeching sounds, but I found the VCA a little too discrete.

Stoll-on tomorrow night and a long weekend's worth of wiggling - let's see what these babies can do.

Thread: SUBFUS

Thread: SUBFUS

revised setup w/placeholders fotos (( jones otool / gieskes voicerec2b / synthwerk fsr's / passive mult / gieskes hd rot ))

Thread: New Case

Hey Ben. Good to know. I bought the d0 used so now I already have two of the Zoom modules. 

Thread: New Case

The Memory Manager replaces the zoom switch with a button system so you don't need both :)

Thread: subfus v2

for filter / control / research with monome aleph and other patchable synths

Thread: Multi-block

I might build this if I can sell my Roland Jupiter 4 at a good price. It's in being refurbished as we speak.

Just received my first modules. Mainly I'm going for the drums, I will use my Analog Four as a sequencer ('til the 4 cv will be enough :)).

Thread: wishlist

This is a PulpLogic Lunchbox build of an Etherwave Plus Theremin Voice.

Outs (headphone, stereo, are on the right)

The Theremin control inputs will require customization:

Three 1/4" Jacks on left, labeled Vol, Pitch & Gate

Vol CV 1-10V IN maps to 6 buffered outputs, taking 1 1/2 tiles

Pitch CV -2.5-4.5V IN maps to 6 buffered outputs, taking 1 1/2 tiles

Gate up +8V IN maps to 4 trigger outputs (using Gate-to-trigger circuit)

The Etherwave Plus Gate Up is converted to Trigger for these reasions:

It's only immediate use is to trigger Syncs on oscillators and LFOs

But, we want to retrigger Syncs on other events

An OR circuit would never fire further events if the Gate was connected and always UP

So, we convert Gate to trigger, so it is normally zero, allowing other triggers/gates to fire

See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcd72/10106476805/