Yep, it's a modular. If there's no jungle, it's not being used.

Oh, I've also had two manufacturer specific areas. Still have one. While it looked nice (unpatched), I found it makes the whole rack less obvious to use. Of course, for some modules - and especially with Mutable - where it belongs kind of depends on which mode it is in. Grouping at least the extremely mutable Mutable stuff could be a reasonable solution.

I'm kind of in the same place. My self built rack is almost full. I could replace it with a different one 20hp wider, but that'd be quite expensive for relatively little gain. I'd also be left with quite an amount of rails in a size I wouldn't have any usage for. So...
Take the opportunity and stop the madness of an ever growing system? Or get a smaller, possibly portable second one?
Should that be a standalone system or more of an extension?
On the minus side the first (additional case) option would probably mean duplicate functions eating up valuable space. On the plus side, a portable case opens up new possibilities (live performance, jamming with other people, patching on the sofa, drowning while making a modular YouTube video in a fisher boat out on the Atlantic Ocean...).
The latter (extension) option would necessitate very careful planning as to what sort of signals get send back and forth and thus limit the versatility. When reading about modules like the A-180-9 I got the sense that there might/will be some amount of crosstalk. So it'd probably a good idea to also take that into account. But that option could also mean less switching about of modules between "live" and "studio" rack.
I don't know. Was that too long and rambling? Did it make sense? What was the question again?
My current rack layout is similar to Lugia's suggestion, except my CV tools are more like above and in between the filters and fx. I'm not yet satisfied with some aspects of that and will reorder everything once I've decided on how to go ahead regarding a new rack.

Recently bought modules from @loopspool @dunk and @fredeke
Nice contacts and smooth transactions. All recommended sellers.

Vermona had something like that on display as a prototype at Superbooth last year IIRC. Hasn't turned up yet, though. You might want to try asking them about it.

I'd just written a long reply, when the website decided it was time to login again and just ate the whole thing… damn it. So here's a hopefully short summary:
I have the same issue of muffled sound, missing crispness etc. Can totally spot the same character that's been bothering me in your tracks. I have no such trouble with my other external gear, be it analog or digital. All going to the same interface, some balanced, some unbalanced.
Output modules seem to have a big effect here. The three eurorack output modules I've tried so far, in order from good to not-so-good: Waldorf kb37, Intellijel Audio I/O 1U, Befaco Out v3. The sound issue was present on the kb37 as well, but to a far smaller degree than on the Befaco. As I have since sold my kb37 due to space constraints (and the Befaco cause I didn't like it), I cannot do any direct comparisons but the Intellijel seems to be somewhere in-between, though closer to the Waldorf. Unfortunately I didn't have the time, money or space to do a scientific comparison. Also, my DFAM, Neutron and 0-Coast seem to have a bit more clarity and punch when recorded directly through their 6.3mm outputs, than routed though eurorack mixer->out->interface. Whatever that's worth.
The cables might play a role, but I'm not really convinced yet. I've got mostly BlackMarket, Make Noise and Doepfer ones, so not complete trash, I'd hope. Maybe it's worth getting a handful of Cordial ones for a simple patch to compare…

What output module are you using @Exposure? Or are the mixers, the VCAs to blame? Something else?
I'm glad someone is mentioning this with an audio example as I couldn't really find anything useful regarding this topic so far.

Bought a few modules (via a different platform) from @GnudelZack
Great communication, everything as described. Recommended.

Skinny/minimalist case designs

+1