hi guys , im looking to record my modular gear into my ipad whilst playing piano and other instruments as auv3 plugins over it to record compositions .
i just got the expert sleepers es-8 to use as an audio interface for my ipad pro running logic pro . i can receive audio into logic fine but i cant find a way to configure it so that the ipad doesnt use the es-8 as the audio output also .
i have a usb hub between the es-8 and ipad , and headphones plugged into the usb hub , but logic wont allow me to use the headphones as an output to listen to what im playing in logic and recording from the modular , only the es-8 .
does anyone have any experience with this setup ?

It's a good combo, the ES-8 and ipad pro, but you'll only be able to use one interface at a time.
The solution is to put an output module next to the ES-8 with a headphone output, or sell the ES-8 and upgrade to the ES-9 which I believe has an onboard headphone amp.

thanks for the speedy reply ! so if i add an output module im assuming it will put the combined audio from logic on my ipad through the headphones ? for example , the modular signal going into logic combined with any ipad based effects and instruments

No problem.

The mixing of modular signals and ipad audio will be taken care of via whatever ipad app you're using (there are plenty of options). I found AUM to be really useful, as it lets you route audio in and out of different apps to ultimately be sent back out of the ES-8. Sure, you could just stick with Logic, but AUM will give you a lot more options.

The purpose of the output module would be to combine two mono outputs of the ES-8, for example outs 1+2, into one trs out with suitable levels for headphones.

Important distinction between 'combining' and 'mixing' here. The output module in theory shouldn't be doing any mixing. rather it's providing you with the TRS jack your headphones need.

much appreciated ! ive had AUM for years and never really used it but ill definitely be firing it up and having a look . ordered the headphone module from ALM today . would love to upgrade to the es-9 but i literally just got the es-8 so ill see how it goes for now !

I'm happy to help. Certainly had my fair share of head scratchers when I was getting going.

Seems like that ALM headphone module will be perfect for your needs. Personally I use a Befaco Outs V3 because I need the balanced 1/4" jacks, but if all you need is the headphone out then something like that would be overkill.

Another thing to consider, if you wanted a bit more from the ES-8 but didn't feel like going the ES-9 route there are some expanders for more ins/outs. I've got the ES-6/ ES-3 combo for 6 extra ins and 8 outs respectively. They work very well and have kept me satisfied enough with the ES-8 that I haven't really thought about upgrading to the ES-9.

Happy patching!