this seems at least respectful
-- pointandclicksystems

it's always wise to remember that respect is something to be earned and not just expected... what you're really saying is that that post was not critical!!

just like it's a good thing to be able to tell the difference between flippant and/or witty banter, opinion, criticism and insult...

especially when you are promoting a product... you can either 'show good grace' or behave like Uli...

NB where I come from, to a large extent, we reserve insults for our friends - it's how we express our love for them!!

for the record - I use a computer a lot of the time & for a myriad of purposes... including, but not limited to: multitrack recording, video synth front end and back end, programming etc

my use of the terms 'modular synthesis' and 'synthesis with modules' is both descriptive and philosophical...

by 'modular synthesis' I mean the use of fundamentally basic building block modules - such as vcos, vcas, vcfs, simple utilities etc that are patched together using patch cables to achieve synthesis - ie "traditional" modular synthesis

by 'synthesis with modules' I mean the use of extremely complex modules that do a lot of these things for you and maybe similar to fixed architecture or semi-modular synthesizers within a module... or in the extreme 'computer as module' ie your modules, ZOIA and Hector

often I describe racks as "less 'modular synthesis' and more 'synthesis with modules'" - in that they comprise of mainly voice and effect modules with modulation and utilities (often the most important/interesting components of a modular synthesizer) as at best afterthoughts...

neither of these are particularly good or bad, just different, nor are they to be taken as binary - there is a wide spectrum between them and to a large extent from what I can see, most modular "users" also fall somewhere between the 2 - I certainly do...

a lot of people get into modular as a way of avoiding computer screens (I didm't) and I don't think these extreme 'computer in a module' modules really appeal to them, and in terms of interface design... well let's just say I think vcv rack is 1000 times better, despite the drawback of the interface - mouse = single parameter at a time change - midi controller = better, but still llimited...

they seem to me to be for people who want a modular synthesizer, but don't really like modular synthesizers... or at least the usage paradigm - at it's best - knob per function/function per knob, patch programmability (with actual physical patch cables etc

your module is in lots of ways (or at least in my impressions) much better, although, at least in my opinion, it's a bit redundant...

as a module with a screen:
in a studio: not only does it take up valuable rack space (& power i suspect), but it's doing something that's often already there - the "studio" computer - which only needs an interface (I use an es8/es6 combo to connect to my MacBook Pro), which (given the pre-existing MBP) takes up less rack space and costs less... and is just as, if not more, useful - I can carry my MBP to somewhere else and use it for other prurposes...

as a portable: it takes up valuable rack space (& power) and probably adds more weight - my MBP is about 1.2kg... but and this is the only downside - I'd have to take my MBP and some cables etc with me

as a module without a screen:
in practice I suspect (& it's only a suspicion, I might be wrong) your module is near unusable without a screen... so:
in a studio: the user needs to add a screen, taking up effectively the same space as an external computer, in a lot of cases...

as a portable: the user would have to transport an external screen in able to see what's going on... and a screen is far more cumbersome and awkward to transport than a laptop...

as such whilst I truely think that your module (and ZOIA & Hector) are all really clever devices (& much kudos for you and their creators for coming up with them), I also think they are 'awful' modules and I wouldn't want them in my rack... in exactly the same way I appreciate that there are some clever theists and neo-liberals, but I think they have awful, misguided opinions and wouldn't want them in my house...

I'm sure there are many, many people who think differently... and that's great - as always posts express my opinions and are not intended to cause offence (remember in English: offence can only be taken and not given!)

I really hope you sell loads (same goes for ZOIA and Hector) - I wish you the greatest of successes in your endeavours...

a friendly bit of advice: try to stop taking yourself so seriously & learn to take other people's opinions and criticism for what they are... opinions and criticisms.. NOT insults... it's not binary LOVE/HATE (& I know social media and hyperbole are often to blame for this binary type of thinking) but there are almost always places in between - LOVE/LIKE/COULDN'T GIVE A DAMN/DISLIKE/HATE - and all places in between all of those...

I'm all for continuing this as a friendly, thoughtful and intelligent debate about the philosophy of 'modular synthesis' v ' synthesis with modules' and the usefulness/UI etc but maybe it should be somewhere else???

-- JimHowell1970

hey bro, this tone is what you should lead with the next time you have a negative review for someones creation. what you led with was far below the tone you are now taking. and you knew this when you trolled me. but thanks for maning up and becoming a gent.

most everything you said here is a given. do you think i havent heard it all before many times? cmon, give me some credit. i dont take myself too seriously but if you cant say anything nice im not obligated to stand by while you shred my product based on your prerogative alone. i didnt attack you, i responded to your tone. im not a big company and im not insulated from disrespect with thousands of sales and a social media manager. this is me alone in my basement making what are to me the answer to restrictive ethos surrounding modular users who have opinions like yours. i always wanted a computer in my case. now i have one.

i dont grovel for business. i am not cucking for your attention and i never will. if thats something you require from your modular makers, then please go elsewhere. because i will be tempted to reveal your trolling as exactly what it is. if you knew it was all a matter of preference then you didnt even need to 'reiterate' the notion of them being awful because you knew interest was based on preference and paradigm rather than anything factual. your paradigm is your paradigm and you know how fragile some peoples paradigm is, so crappy opinions can influence decision making. it would be different if i had disrespected you before you spoke, but i didnt. i made something that i had hoped you would like. this is in no way an affront to your paradigm. you do you.

please make your own modules and fill them with your vision and leave the smelly opinions alone. youre obviously waay more intelligent than how you entered this conversation. i cant say the same about your comrade however but i think ill allow him or 'them' to hang themself with their own rope.

im excited to offer these modules and am truly interested in providing a positive experience to those who buy my modules. im not trying to bamboozle anyone. i am an artist and i absolutely love the idea that i would contribute to the tools a master might use to create a masterpiece. would you deny me the pleasure of providing such a tool? this isnt really about business, its about a serious desire to supply a community of interested parties with tools and conveniences that didnt exist before.

btw you can use a monitor in studio, set up what you need, then take to the performance as ready to go. you can also use any computer in 'headless' mode, while using a utility to 'monitor' on your phone if you really need to.

power is provided separate from the euro rail as requirements would push past any normal PSU made for euro modules. the only thing powered by the rail are (optionally) fans and only with the intention of allowing a user to slow them down to avoid the jet engine effect.