I think you're experiencing a lot of confusion relating to what modules actually do - a lot seem to be in the wrong categories...

for example - source of uncertainty is a random modulation source, not a sound source as the other's are that you've classed as "sources", what you've classed as 'modifiers' some are modulation sources and plog - I'd class that as a utility - as I would compare2 (both logic), O&C I'd categroise with Pams, etc etc etc

take a look at my signature - the formula especially - it's designed as a rule of thumb for getting the most versatility from a modular synth for the least money...

also agree strongly with what @plragde says - also I heard, but don't know how correct this is that ColdMac can be used for both audio and cv, but not at the same time - so what looks like a great bundle of utilities - is actually only 1/2 as useful as it could be - wmd/ssf toolbox & mutable instruments kinks are very useful combined utility modules that are easier to understand and maybe easier to find - kinks either used or NOS in stores or as a clone (it's been discontinued for a while now)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities