Microfreak isn't a bad idea here, also. It's definitely got more of a "west coast" sound going on...plus you get the touchplate keyboard, which I know tends to wig out synthesists that have no modular experience. But really, it's more like the bastard love-child of a Sound Easel and a Microbrute...quite interesting, really. The other nice thing is that Arturia is always coming up with new oscillator modules and other voodoo that can be "blown in" via USB.

But, yeah...$1k isn't a doable goal here unless you're willing to bust out the soldering gear. But if you DO want a way to get proper modular performance while not spending an arm and a leg, then go here: https://www.tangiblewaves.com/ I have a 160-space AE system here, soon to get punched up to 180 spaces when I add the controller/mixer tier. And while that might sound HUGE (and yeah, it IS), the AE stuff is extremely affordable; my system, thus far (which includes the new 20-space row and the modules slated for it) has run me around $6k-ish...and $6k for something that big isn't something you can do in Eurorack, even if you DO kit-build the system yourself.