Right...and remember, the real use of a piece of equipment is what YOU get out of it. There's a few things in my studio that people puzzle over and wonder why I have them alongside some seemingly-more-capable gear. But these also have their uses; my CZ-101 is far more capable than its toy-like appearance suggests. The Kawai K1ii normally sucks...unless you have Kawai's MM16 MIDI mixer/faderbox, which I do and which allows me to get at the K1ii's insides very easily and in real-time. And the Yamaha VSS-30...well, technically, it's a toy. An evil toy, as its crap-fi sampler has all sorts of sound-modification tricks for gritty, screwed-up noisemaking possibilities, particularly after running it through both sides of my dual ProCo RAT rack.

Most 'pro users' would scoff at these things (except maybe the CZ-101...some people do 'get' that synth). But it's a case of putting the 'wrong' gear in the 'right' hands. It reminds me a lot of the Discordian principle of the 'Law of Fives', which states: "Anything can ultimately be related to the number 5, given the ingenuity of the person doing the relating". Same principle applies here; it's just straight-up thinking outside the box at work.

Also takes a degree of fearlessness. Going out on stage, surrounded with high-end synths, but twiddling around with a Nintendo DS that just happens to be making surreal layers of sound...yes, that looks very odd. But the results bear out the oddness.