Ok, this is interesting. A few thoughts. I think the penalty could work, but it may take some time. For example, I sorted by LFO. Batumi, which is clearly an LFO has 4 tags and shows up way, way down on the page (Atlantis showed up first until I removed all tags but Synth Voice). This could prompt manufacturers to use less tags so that placement is higher on the page. The solution implemented sort of works, but not for items that are tagged heavily.

Atlantis showed up first, when you selected LFO? This is wrong, maybe there is a bug in the code :(

The PRIMARY FUNCTION could be the new database field. It would mean that many modules would not have that particular field filled out for a while, but eventually we'd get there.

I see. I am not totally against it, but I know there would be a lot to change with the version system ...

Side note: I am not pushing this agenda, I am just having a conversation. I work in a filed where we bounce ideas off each other all day long, so I am not married to any of my ideas, just trying to spur creative thinking.
-- dysonant

It's completely fine, we need ideas to improve.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net