Wow, that's already A LOT to work with. Thanks so much!

ask and you shall reveive!!! hahaha

I have yet to digest everything and will take some time to do that but a few quick thoughts/takeaways:

@Zacksname: Your comments on the VCAs have cleared things up for me a lot. Thanks! Also, I've been thinking about quantization and wasn't sure how to prioritise it. But having read your post I think workflow-wise it sounds like an interesting path for me. I'm familiar with the concept but somehow it slid in and out of my priorities over the past couple of weeks. But it makes total sense.

it's a juggling act - piorities change constantly... the simple act of adding a module, will almost definitely change the priority of the next module and so on... no plan survives contact with the enemy... and your biggest enemy is yourself!

@JimHowell70: On my way to the tattoo studio already, haha ... people are talking about your signature on the streets.

pictures (and/or field recordings), or it never happened!!! hahaha

but seriously I think a t shirt is better - cheaper and less permanent!!

I think my next step will be to take a deeper dive into utilities - and then probably start with some modulation + utilities on the Moogs before expanding the setup to be its own thing. I guess that could be a good strategy? Case wise: I agree on the Rackbrute looking hideous ... will have a closer look on TipTop Audio (but psst... I think they are looking even worse, but as you said: Who cares in the end).

you should see most of my racks... they're diy'ed out of skirting board... at least 30 years after I did any wood work - they are wonky... unfinished with sides poking out above the tops... but they do the job and in low light from the right angle they look ok(ish)...

functionality over aesthetics everyday, in every way... at least in relation to synth racks!!!

Alright, time to dig a little deeper ...
-- steben

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities