If we're talking morals though, I personally would consider splitting the loss instead of covering the whole amount because that's what F&F means to me, as in if this happened between me and a friend of mine, we would definitely split 50/50 I think.
-- toodee

But people on MG anren't necessarly your friends. As warned by MG (you can find this warning at the bottom of every ad):

Always prefer having Buyer Protection when you make a purchase using PayPal. Don't use Friends & Family unless the seller is your friend or family!
-- MG

MG is just an old school ad website.

why do we need to bring the LAW on this...
-- lazarusgordon

Because it's exactly the purpose of law, solve ambiguous situations like this one. I know it's a lot of money, it is frustrating, and one can feel scammed, but wait for the answer of the french postal service. They might just have missed a scan. Also, check with your local postal service, they might have missed a scan too, who knows. It happenned to me with USPS, and also LaPoste. Otherwise you can contact LaPoste yourself to ask for more information https://aide.laposte.fr/contact/colissimo . A google trad should work well enough.

I wish you good luck !