I'm mostly interested in sound design and having controllable unpredictability. To clarify more on the latter point, I like being able to control sequences and get out what I put in, but I find myself wanting ways to change up patterns and scales, I want to be able to set certain parameters, but still have my modular be able to give me things I don't expect. I suppose something like the Trigger Riot might be more up my alley for that, but I'm just super hesitant at this point.
-- SlunkLord

A module I just got that I am in love with right now is Joranalogue Route 4 which does, in a very simple way, exactly what you want to do here. I have been using it to change up both patterns and scales with the simple flicks of the latching switches. It has the 1V precision add to each of the outputs on the top portion which when you use along with a quantized input (or even combine up to 4) you can make changes super quickly to your original pattern.

Here is a video from Bries actually using it this way. I don't have a Step 8 but I do have a Muxlicer. You don't need either of these modules to make the Route 4 shine either as I've been messing with quite a few different modules with gate, log, eoc, eor, outs.