You should expect your system to evolve as your needs change. The best advice I recieved is to start with just a few modules and learn how they fit into your workflow, then start adding modules that will expand and support your workflow
33PO

Yep, this is why I was leaning toward the MN system to start with, since it seems like a very powerful and flexible device that does quite a lot of things.

Mutable Instruments made some of the most innovative modules that have a bunch of different ways of patching. Stages for example can be envelopes/LFOs/StepSequencer or an oscillator. Great choice to go with MI as a brand
33PO

I don’t have much to compare it to, but I was immediately drawn to their modules, they just seem simpler to understand somehow. I don’t know why, something about the layout, the graphics, the colouring, it all seems so … considered.

If you'll be working with found sounds a sampler might be a great addition to this system. ALM Squid or BitBox would be awesome.
33PO

Are you referring to the Make Noise Tape and Microsound machine or the larger rig?

Here's where I would start based on your description:
Keystep - Midi-CV
Clock - Pam's (for clocks and slow evolving LFO/Random)
Sound Source - Plaits
Filter - to taste (Cinnamon, Ikari, Wasp, lot's of great choices)
Sampler - BitBox Micro (also has Midi in)
External - Somethign to make connecting Mic or 1/4 instrument easy
Modulation - Stages/Clone for Envelopes and modulation
VCA - Veils/Clone
FX - to taste (Morphagene and Memeophone are very good, but there are TONS of amazing FX)
Audio Mixer - Something that interfaces with your other equipment well
This would be a fine starter system with lots of flexibility. Then I'd start adding things like a Marbles clone and other things that are in your original system
33PO

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into these in a bit more detail.

So many modules out there it’s completely overwhelming.

D