Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie looking to buy my first modular rig. My emphasis is less on the standard VCO, VCF, VCA type stuff and more along the lines of found sound, experimental, textural and generative ideas. Despite my lack of knowledge on all things modular, I've put together what I consider to be a comprehensive setup on Modulargrid,net, aptly named 'I have no idea what I'm doing.'

You can see it here and give me feedback on it if you wish: ModularGrid Rack

It features many popular modules from well-known manufacturers that I've come across in my research. I included these modules because they are widely used, reviewed, and have abundant learning resources on YouTube and the like. I have to start somewhere! I've also been experimenting with VCV Rack quite a bit, which heavily emphasises Mutable Instruments modules, so I've added some MI clones to my list since the originals are scarce, expensive and I have no idea what condition they might be in if I buy and ship them here. There is also no prominent modular supplier in the country I live in (South Africa), so I will have to import everything and would prefer to do so from one supplier like a Perfect Circuit or Sweetwater who I’ve used before (reputability, after sales, returns, shipping costs, import tax, etc.)

So, while I'd love to go for the full 3-row setup (who wouldn't), everything I've read suggests that it might be overwhelming. Despite wanting all those shiny modules now, I fully agree. As such I'm currently considering the Make Noise Tape and Microsound Machine, which complements my existing gear, including synths, controllers, mics, and preamps. This unit seems more manageable, interesting, powerful and includes all the modules from my larger rack, making it ideal for creating unique found sound textures and serving multiple purposes, now and in the future (hopefully). I have a long history of incorporating unconventional sounds into my music, ranging from home-made drum kits to mangled family chatter to delightful guinea pig squeals, so I think it will suit my style. Lastly, I'm also contemplating expanding it with a Tempi module later for enhanced clocking and modulation options.

Now, I have a few questions:

1. Despite having been in audio production and synths for 20+ years, how hard is this system and modules to learn?
  2. Is this system a good starting point for a modular noob and my objectives?
  3. Can I easily sync Tempi with my DAW (Cubase) to start/stop my modular rig with my arrangement?
  4. Is it possible to reset the units clock when starting, stopping and resetting the playhead position?
  5. Can this rig somehow accept other types of MIDI, like notes from my NI S88 keyboard? What options are available or what additional equipment is needed to do this?
  6. Are there real risks of damaging any unit/s through improper patching (e.g., outputs into outputs)?

I can’t think of any other questions right now, but I'm sure more will come up. If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me.

Any feedback welcome!

Darclinc