I think my hangup is still in how the gate functions with Scales. Probably because I dont have Scales, lol.

I think you have it mostly right, except maybe something about the relationship between the quantizer input and the trigger. The wide-open gate (EOR) is not the signal being quantized by Scales, the S&H of the Wogglebug is. Here is a visual:

[Wogglebug S&H]---[Maths ch.2]--->[Scales Pitch Input]----- [quantizes S&H]--->[Pitch Out to v/oct of Rings & Plaits]
[Maths EOR gate]-------->[Scales Trigger Input]---[selects duration of S&H]-------- ^

The Wogglebug S&H is the signal being quantized to the key of G. The trigger input slects the moments that Scales will draw from the now quantized S&H. This is helpful if you want to control the pitch quantization with an LFO or any non-clocked source and then ensure that the pitch changes are in sync with the beat of the track. For our purposes, it also allows us to take something like a gate to determine the timing and duration of the rapid S&H changes modulated by the Wogglebug. If you put any S&H into your quantizer it should quantize the signal at the speed of the input, be it an LFO or a S&H, or whatever. But the tempo of the pitch input is over-ridden by the trigger input, allowing you to be more selective of what pitches are selected and when they are output.

As to your final point, yes, I do attenuate the range of Wogglebug's S&H pitch by running it through channel 2 of Maths and then from the channel 2 out, into Scales' 'Pitch' in.

I have tried this with other basic quantizers that have independent quantization inputs and trigger inputs. In the case of Quantermain, I would say take a S&H, attenuate the range via Maths, input it into the Sample CV #1 input on the Quantermain. Then take the EOR gate from the Maths and run it into the Sample Clock #1 input. This should achieve the effect we are looking for.

Hope this helps!