I'd grab a midi->cv module soonish - using v/oct for the cutoff is a classic technique...
[...]
I'm not sure I'd have got into modular just to get a filter - there are 'pedals' that can do that

re the voltage mismatch: this is what offset modules are for - something like the happy nerding 3 * mia, for example - attenuate/attenuvert and offset... it's why we keep saying utilities are so important... (see signasture)

-- JimHowell1970

You're right. That's why I went for the Nifty Case. It's got Midi to CV conversion on board: 2 CV/gate outputs for 2 Midi channels + mod + clock output. A pedal/stompbox, like you said, can do the same (w/ an envelope follower). But, like you implied I think, that might not be the ideal companion for a synthesizer: Midi to CV is.

I didn't buy these modules to keep it at that. I wanted to dip my toes in. The way it is now 85% (72 of the 84 HP) of the case is still empty and ready for future "G.A.S.". And given the choice in excellent modules of about 4 to 8 HP I'm sure it will be a nice little companion for my synths in a few years or months. :)

I've already orderd my next module: an envelope follower/gate.

I've got my eyes on a few sample & hold modules like the Doepfer A-118-2, Doepfer A-184-1 or the Erica Synths Pico LFO/S&H. I'll see what modules I'll want to/need connect to the S&H of my choosing.

Next might be an oscillator.