Looking to expand Mini Brute into the world of modular. How does the community think these modules will play (well, not well, redundant, missing something key, etc...) with the MB?
-- mashume

Which Minibrute do you mean, the 2/2s, or do you mean the Microbrute? The 2s is awesome in conjuction with modular, so many cool modulation and sequencing possibilities. The Microbrute's patchbay is much more limited, but would still expand quite well into a modular rack. Do you already have the linked rack, or are you still shopping around? If you haven't gotten it yet, you may want to consider going a little bigger (the Rackbrute 6u is a good starter size, though I might recommend a Tip Top Mantis - both are great). Don't get me wrong, you can 100% build an amazing instrument in the rack size you have, but you're going to have to be conservative with hp.

How much control do you want over the basslines? Will you mostly be sequencing basslines on the MB and then sending the audio to the rack for futzing, or are you mainly looking to use your rack to modulate cv that goes back and forth into the MB? Or do you want to use the rack to create the bassline melodies itself? I see you've added a good deal of random cv possibilities to the rack since posting, how are you planning to use those? Will you be clocking from the MB?

In general though, you need more architecture (meaning utilities) to get the most out of your modules. For example, you need VCAs; the ones provided on the MB2 are not enough for an expanded system. A chainable VCA like the Intellijel Quad VCA or Mutable Instruments Veils works well. The Veils is the first module I got to expand my Minibrute 2s when dipping my toes into modular, and it completely changed how I used the synth. Also, you are missing modulators like LFOs (ignoring MATHS which, of course, can do that too). A voltage controlled LFO like XAOC's Batumi would give you excellent controllable LFOs that can drastically change your sounds and cv. I see you've added attenuverters/offsets, and MATHS can do that quite handily, but you may want to consider more, so you can better control the modulations and randomness. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA is pretty good at that, and gives you mixing, helping to free up the VCAs and MATHS which can be used in other ways.

There are a number of other utility, modulating, or signal mangling modules that I could recommend, but it really all depends on your goals, particularly with a rack of that size. Hope this helps.