I never played a guitar for real myself, but I know things can get weird quickly when a guitar friend of mine (35+ years and counting) asked if he could buy my BeatStep Pro. Right. It's one of those "do boundaries even exist" moments. He's got about 20 guitars as well. Another friend tried to replace his rack of pedals by a one-does-it-all model ("Look, now my pickup is 30cm beyond the neck!"), only to find that other do-it-all models did other things.

Yeah, modules are very hard to grasp for non-modular people. Even if somebody is familiar with pedals, something like a VCA, panning scanner or modulation source (Orbit 3 for the win!) are completely alien. I just got the Error Instruments Tele Bender and I find I can't describe it in words to anybody who asks what it does. But it's so much fun! It gets even better because it's extremely pretty and looks like an obscurantis 19th century magick device from China (I got the red one), and only 30 will ever be made. I bought it to shock my fellow modular friends, partly at least.

In the meantime, I feel like modular is really making me think in components that connect together. I tried hooking up my Argon8 to my modular, which I succeeded in easily, but I had a hard time wrapping my head around all the capabilities in that synth. There's so much in there, coming at me all at the same time! I feel I'm already starting to find Bastl modules like Pizza and Ikarie hard to get because they do so much. They should just chop it up into 3 or 4 modules. Or make them 20hp wide instead of 8

Modular playlist on SoundCloud