Thanks for the reply JimHowell1970. Could you give me some examples of how YOU would finish this rack?

There is no such thing as "finish"... modular synths are endlessly evolving custom instruments... maybe a case will be full at some point, but there are always other cases...

saying that I already said what I would add (or at least pointed you in the direction) - I just didn't mention specific modules... the whole point of modular is that it's your custom instrument (and not mine) so as always happens it would just be a list of what are my favourites: for utilities and filters - doepfer... for vcas I always liked Veils (there are clones available) - an fx aid pro wouldn't hurt - I'd probably want another modulation source - probably either a zadar or batumi (& expander) and a matrrix mixer to combine them - into even more interesting shapes

Which modules would you go for? I’ve got vcas in Maths, but nothing really drones if I don’t want them to. But do I need more? Please help 😳

-- clivevass

you don't really have vcas in Maths - you can patch Maths as a vca-ish - but generally it's an "envelope generator" unless you are madly into the illustrated manual which you probably aren't - seriously I would add at least one dc-coupled quad cascading vca - as mentioned above, I like veils, but there are others - & Maths is better left to be Maths than using it as 'vcas' - & yes I would want more - as I use them for modulating modulation as well as for shaping notes

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities