Re the mults:

Short version; I like mults. The end.

Long version; I really really really really reeeeeeally want to avoid stackable cables or any other cable-based means of multiplying where possible. I find them to be very messy and reckon they're just asking to get broken, or to break the things they're plugged into if knocked. No doubt, they'll still end up being used here and there.

In any event, I can always take the mults out to make space, but I can't add them in if my case is full.

Re the Pams and efficiency:

Agreed - inefficient... And somewhat fiddly in use. The same can be said for the O_C. But they are all there for good reason.

Maximum efficiency at this stage is not my aim. Packing in all the functionality I'm inspired to experiment with, is. Between the Keystep Pro, two Pams, O_C, Zadar and the various utils, I've pretty much got that covered. Logic, Euclidean rhythms, Turing machine stuff, quantization, complex envelopes etc. It's all in there somewhere and it fits in the case with room to spare. The only small-footprint multi-function module I'm aware of that comes anywhere close to the versatility and footprint of the Pams (other than the O_C) is the Disting EX. But the Disting in all its incarnations - unlike the O_C and Pams - is a module that I have not found inspiring.

From what I've read and seen in the intertubez, two Pams synced together equals a sum far greater than its parts. Together they can do more stuff that I wanna do than any other module combination in the same square-footage. I suppose, following that logic, I should swap them out for two more O_Cs (which are even more powerful). But intuition told me that would be unwise. As and when I've figured out my workflow; what functions I want more accessible and which ones not, I can purchase dedicated modules to cater for those needs.

This design has been settled upon after a great deal of thought and research. I have also considered availability of stock. For example, The ever-so-slightly-more compact panning VCA solution Lucia suggested in an earlier incarnation of this design uses modules that seem to be completely unavailable at the time of writing this. The PanMix is only 1HP larger and slightly less flexible. For this same reason I have also since removed the the Freak filter. I just can't find anywhere with any stock.

As a starting point for trying stuff out, this design covers everything I want - albeit in a convoluted way. The next step is to see how it works in the real world and go form there. In any event, Pams is an eternally popular module. I'm sure there will be no problems selling it on if I deem one of them unnecessary.

Re Maths:

.......... .............

Is this some weird running Earorack joke?

Seriously though, with decades of experience with synthesizers, audio processing and signal routing under my belt, I'm no stranger to creating complex modulated patches and signal chains. In other words, I'm somewhat past learning the fundamentals of synthesis. Thus Maths - in the context of this case layout and intended purpose - makes no sense to me. As a learning tool, what's here caters far better to the gaps in my knowledge and methods of composition I have yet to try. If and when I change this design or get a bigger case, sure - I'll get a Maths. :-)

Here endeth the essay

PS I have no idea why half of this post in in italics nor can I figure out how to fix it. Soz :-{