I’m not trying to have the perpetual analog vs. digital debate again, I have nothing against digital and I’m thrilled with a lot of the things people have done with digital modules.

But given the sea of different modules available, everyone has to make those “arbitrary” decisions for their rack’s limitations to some extent. The decision to stay fully analog is a mostly arbitrary but fun one, and you’re sure to get a certain sound that you wouldn’t if you melded analog and digital ones together.

So my questions are somewhat simple—any of you have experience doing it? Is it significantly more expensive? Is it terribly limiting?

I mean, the reason I’m going Eurorack instead of MU is that I want to take advantage of all the crazy innovative shit in Euro rather than the somewhat traditionalist, more often analog MU stuff. I don’t wanna be glued to only two or three brands. But then I also like the idea of starting with analog modules and later putting digital stuff in its own row.

More importantly, it’s been really hard for me to even know which Euro modules are fully analog. So many have digital components that I don’t even know if the vacuum tube ones are! Any tips on how to figure it out somewhat easily without elite knowledge of circuitry?